Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Canning Peach Juice

Hi All,

Does anyone can straight peach juice? I've searched and can find
plenty of recipes and guidelines for other products using peach juice
but not canning juice or even nectar (still not sure what that is) by
itself but only one website that talks about peach juice. I believe
they used 28 cups juice and 2 cups of sugar and processed pints in a
BWB for 15 minutes. Does this sound appropriate?

I bought two boxes of peaches and have canned and jammed and buttered
as much as I need (especially since I'm the only one in the house who
eats peach anything).

Anyone have any suggestions? I have a mechanical juicer not a steam
juicer that I can use. I can also try cooking the peaches a bit and
using a jelly bag but I haven't had much luck with that.

I can freeze the juice if need be but I'd prefer it to be shelf-
stable.

Thanks everyone!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/9/2011 12:42 PM, Beti wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone can straight peach juice? I've searched and can find
> plenty of recipes and guidelines for other products using peach juice
> but not canning juice or even nectar (still not sure what that is) by
> itself but only one website that talks about peach juice. I believe
> they used 28 cups juice and 2 cups of sugar and processed pints in a
> BWB for 15 minutes. Does this sound appropriate?
>
> I bought two boxes of peaches and have canned and jammed and buttered
> as much as I need (especially since I'm the only one in the house who
> eats peach anything).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions? I have a mechanical juicer not a steam
> juicer that I can use. I can also try cooking the peaches a bit and
> using a jelly bag but I haven't had much luck with that.
>
> I can freeze the juice if need be but I'd prefer it to be shelf-
> stable.
>
> Thanks everyone!

I've not seen a canning recipe for pure peach juice. Have you tried:
http://tinyurl.com/9fy34 that's the U of GA food safety site?

Most fruits or juices that can be home canned in a BWB have to either be
acidic to start with or have lemon juice added to make them acidic. The
other question, why would you add sugar to a juice that is normally
sweet anyway? Curiosity abounds in my mind.

If all else fails send an email to the folks at U of GA and see if they
can get you an answer or, send an email to your state extension service.

I am always wary of internet canning recipes unless it's from an
official source.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sep 9, 11:02*am, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 9/9/2011 12:42 PM, Beti wrote:
>
> > Hi All,

> > Does anyone can straight peach juice? *I've searched and can find
> > plenty of recipes and guidelines for other products using peach juice
> > but not canning juice or even nectar (still not sure what that is) by
> > itself but only one website that talks about peach juice. *I believe
> > they used 28 cups juice and 2 cups of sugar and processed pints in a
> > BWB for 15 minutes. *Does this sound appropriate?

> > I bought two boxes of peaches and have canned and jammed and buttered
> > as much as I need (especially since I'm the only one in the house who
> > eats peach anything).

> > Anyone have any suggestions? *I have a mechanical juicer not a steam
> > juicer that I can use. *I can also try cooking the peaches a bit and
> > using a jelly bag but I haven't had much luck with that.

> > I can freeze the juice if need be but I'd prefer it to be shelf-
> > stable.

> > Thanks everyone!

> I've not seen a canning recipe for pure peach juice. Have you tried:http://tinyurl.com/9fy34that's the U of GA food safety site?
>
> Most fruits or juices that can be home canned in a BWB have to either be
> acidic to start with or have lemon juice added to make them acidic. The
> other question, why would you add sugar to a juice that is normally
> sweet anyway? Curiosity abounds in my mind.
>
> If all else fails send an email to the folks at U of GA and see if they
> can get you an answer or, send an email to your state extension service.
>
> I am always wary of internet canning recipes unless it's from an
> official source.

Thanks for the reply, George. Yep, I've tried UGA's website, my
regional site OSU as well as FreshPreserving.com. I am cautious, too,
of unverified sources but I look at their recipes for foods I do know
about to see what their processes look like in general.

I seem to remember OSU's extension agency having a hotline during
canning season. I'll see if I can find that number.

The jams and butters I made were so sweet, I was hoping to find an
unsweetened recipe as a change. If nothing else, I guess I can use
Pamona's recipes for all fruit jams and then use it as a fruit juice
concentrate. It may be kind of a waste of a bit of pectin but at
least I know their recipes are sound.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

My Dad loves the juice in store bought cans of peaches so I experimented
with 6 pints this year.....I made a light syrup.....put 2 peach halves
in the jar....filled it with hot syrup the BWB for 20 minutes.....I'm
hoping the peach wil flavor the syrup the way he likes it.......time
will tell if it works......Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sep 9, 1:37*pm, grant > wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 10:42:49 -0700 (PDT), Beti > wrote:
> >Hi All,

> >Does anyone can straight peach juice? *I've searched and can find
> >plenty of recipes and guidelines for other products using peach juice
> >but not canning juice or even nectar (still not sure what that is) by
> >itself but only one website that talks about peach juice. *I believe
> >they used 28 cups juice and 2 cups of sugar and processed pints in a
> >BWB for 15 minutes. *Does this sound appropriate?

> >I bought two boxes of peaches and have canned and jammed and buttered
> >as much as I need (especially since I'm the only one in the house who
> >eats peach anything).

> >Anyone have any suggestions? *I have a mechanical juicer not a steam
> >juicer that I can use. *I can also try cooking the peaches a bit and
> >using a jelly bag but I haven't had much luck with that.

> >I can freeze the juice if need be but I'd prefer it to be shelf-
> >stable.

> >Thanks everyone!

> Where I can find instructions for canning whole fruit versus juice (eg.
> apples vs. apple juice or grapes vs. grape juice). *The recommended time
> for pints in a boiling water bath are much shorter for the juice than the
> fruit.
> *apples - pints - BWB - 20 minutes
> applesauce - pints - BWB - 15 minutes
> apple juice - pints - BWB - 5 minutes
>
> grapes - pints - BWB - 15 minutes
> grape juice - pints - BWB - 5 minutes
>
> fruit puree - pints - BWB (hot pack) - 15 minutes
>
> Since peaches (raw pack) take 25 minutes for pints in a BWB, without
> further guidance, I'd sweeten peach juice to taste, raw pack in pints and
> process 12 - 1/2 minutes in a boiling water bath. *So yes, the
> instructions you found on that web site sound appropriate to me. *Safe??
> That's another question entirely!

Thanks for your reply, Grant. I should have phrased it differently.
I was indeed asking if it looked like a safe recipe. It seems I'm in
uncharted territory with the peach juice. Apple and grape appear to
be the common choice but I'm thinking peach juice with club soda will
be a reminder of summer along about March when it's rainy and dreary
and warm weather is still months away here in Oregon!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 9/9/2011 12:42 PM, Beti wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Does anyone can straight peach juice? I've searched and can find
> > plenty of recipes and guidelines for other products using peach juice
> > but not canning juice or even nectar (still not sure what that is) by
> > itself but only one website that talks about peach juice. I believe
> > they used 28 cups juice and 2 cups of sugar and processed pints in a
> > BWB for 15 minutes. Does this sound appropriate?

Sounds good to me, and I'd bring it to a boil before I jarred and
processed it. You might sweeten it a bit.

> > I bought two boxes of peaches and have canned and jammed and buttered
> > as much as I need (especially since I'm the only one in the house who
> > eats peach anything).
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions? I have a mechanical juicer not a steam
> > juicer that I can use. I can also try cooking the peaches a bit and
> > using a jelly bag but I haven't had much luck with that.

How do you prepare your peaches for butter, Beti? I nuke mine in a
glass measuring pitcher and pour off the juice for jelly. My Peach
Melba Jelly won second place at my State Fair a couple weeks ago. :-0)

I made some dandy Peach Barbecue Sauce, too ‹ in fact, that's what I
used those cooked peaches for.

> > I can freeze the juice if need be but I'd prefer it to be shelf-
> > stable.
> >
> > Thanks everyone!

> I've not seen a canning recipe for pure peach juice. Have you tried:
> http://tinyurl.com/9fy34 that's the U of GA food safety site?
>
> Most fruits or juices that can be home canned in a BWB have to either be
> acidic to start with or have lemon juice added to make them acidic. The
> other question, why would you add sugar to a juice that is normally
> sweet anyway? Curiosity abounds in my mind.

Sometimes the juice is not as tasty as the flesh, Jorge. You wouldn't
want to drink the plum juice I extract for jelly from my delicious plums.

> If all else fails send an email to the folks at U of GA and see if they
> can get you an answer or, send an email to your state extension service.

Good luck with that one anymore. There's no staff. A travesty, IMNSHO.
It's Dr. Andress alone, last time I heard from her.

--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller August 24, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sep 9, 4:00*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >,
> *George Shirley > wrote:
>
> > On 9/9/2011 12:42 PM, Beti wrote:
> > > Hi All,

> > > Does anyone can straight peach juice? *I've searched and can find
> > > plenty of recipes and guidelines for other products using peach juice
> > > but not canning juice or even nectar (still not sure what that is) by
> > > itself but only one website that talks about peach juice. *I believe
> > > they used 28 cups juice and 2 cups of sugar and processed pints in a
> > > BWB for 15 minutes. *Does this sound appropriate?

> Sounds good to me, and I'd bring it to a boil before I jarred and
> processed it. *You might sweeten it a bit.
>

> > > I bought two boxes of peaches and have canned and jammed and buttered
> > > as much as I need (especially since I'm the only one in the house who
> > > eats peach anything).

> > > Anyone have any suggestions? *I have a mechanical juicer not a steam
> > > juicer that I can use. *I can also try cooking the peaches a bit and
> > > using a jelly bag but I haven't had much luck with that.

> How do you prepare your peaches for butter, Beti? *I nuke mine in a
> glass measuring pitcher and pour off the juice for jelly. *My Peach
> Melba Jelly won second place at my State Fair a couple weeks ago. *:-0)

I've done a couple of batches just pureeing them in a food processor
and today I used a food mill. I've had trouble with the pulp
separating after processing so cooking them and mashing them in a pot
might work better. I'm not too worried about that aesthetic aspect
since I'm not entering the Oregon State Fair. Yet. :-)

> I made some dandy Peach Barbecue Sauce, too in fact, that's what I
> used those cooked peaches for.
>

> > > I can freeze the juice if need be but I'd prefer it to be shelf-
> > > stable.

> > > Thanks everyone!

> > I've not seen a canning recipe for pure peach juice. Have you tried:
> >http://tinyurl.com/9fy34that's the U of GA food safety site?

> > Most fruits or juices that can be home canned in a BWB have to either be
> > acidic to start with or have lemon juice added to make them acidic. The
> > other question, why would you add sugar to a juice that is normally
> > sweet anyway? Curiosity abounds in my mind.

> Sometimes the juice is not as tasty as the flesh, Jorge. *You wouldn't
> want to drink the plum juice I extract for jelly from my delicious plums.
>
> > If all else fails send an email to the folks at U of GA and see if they
> > can get you an answer or, send an email to your state extension service..

> Good luck with that one anymore. *There's no staff. *A travesty, IMNSHO. *
> It's Dr. Andress alone, last time I heard from her.

Oregon State University has a canning hotline open 9am to 4pm Monday
through Friday from July 16 to Oct. 11. 1-800-354-7319.

Does anyone know where these sorts of resources fall in terms of
government funding? I'd like to start writing congresspeople and let
them know how important these organizations are. I see a new blog
practically every day discussing canning and showing off their
efforts. I'll start campaigning to get people to write their
representatives and ask for more funding.

As far as my peaches go, I ended up making five half pints of low-
sugar jam (Pamona's recipe). Then I took all my leftover pulp, about
five cups, added it to the leftover light syrup from my canned
peaches, juiced the leftover peels from all the peaches and am making
a big batch of peach honey. I'm following the recipe from SETP but
since my sugar amounts and everything is such a mishmash, I'll just
freeze it. I'm thinking some in ice cube trays to be tossed into
smoothies and some for spritzers and maybe some used later as a
sherbet type dessert.

Thanks again to everyone. You are always so willing to jump in and
help. You all are great!

Beti

Beti
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
Beti > wrote:

> On Sep 9, 4:00*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > *George Shirley > wrote:

> > Sounds good to me, and I'd bring it to a boil before I jarred and
> > processed it. *You might sweeten it a bit.

> > How do you prepare your peaches for butter, Beti? *I nuke mine in a
> > glass measuring pitcher and pour off the juice for jelly. *My Peach
> > Melba Jelly won second place at my State Fair a couple weeks ago. *:-0)

> I've done a couple of batches just pureeing them in a food processor
> and today I used a food mill. I've had trouble with the pulp
> separating after processing so cooking them and mashing them in a pot
> might work better. I'm not too worried about that aesthetic aspect
> since I'm not entering the Oregon State Fair. Yet. :-)
>
> > I made some dandy Peach Barbecue Sauce, too in fact, that's what I
> > used those cooked peaches for.

> > > I've not seen a canning recipe for pure peach juice. Have you tried:
> > >http://tinyurl.com/9fy34that's the U of GA food safety site?

> > > Most fruits or juices that can be home canned in a BWB have to either be
> > > acidic to start with or have lemon juice added to make them acidic. The
> > > other question, why would you add sugar to a juice that is normally
> > > sweet anyway? Curiosity abounds in my mind.

> > Sometimes the juice is not as tasty as the flesh, Jorge. *You wouldn't
> > want to drink the plum juice I extract for jelly from my delicious plums.
> >
> > > If all else fails send an email to the folks at U of GA and see if they
> > > can get you an answer or, send an email to your state extension service.

Dr. Andress has no staff to help her with that kind of thing anymore.
:-( Better to try local university extension services or Ball's
freshpreserving.com ‹ they have an 800 number on the side of every
product package.

> > Good luck with that one anymore. *There's no staff. *A travesty, IMNSHO. *
> > It's Dr. Andress alone, last time I heard from her.

> Oregon State University has a canning hotline open 9am to 4pm Monday
> through Friday from July 16 to Oct. 11. 1-800-354-7319.
>
> Does anyone know where these sorts of resources fall in terms of
> government funding?

If the hotline is at OSU, it's OSU's budget that allows it. Write to
OSU's president for starters.

> I'd like to start writing congresspeople and let
> them know how important these organizations are.

I've been singing that song for three years.

> I see a new blog practically every day discussing canning and showing
> off their efforts.

And I wouldn't trust a lot of them just because I'm such a cynic.

> I'll start campaigning to get people to write
> their representatives and ask for more funding.

Start by recommending that the National Center for Home Food
Preservation be funded. They have no staff. It's insane‹nothing funded
for research during the biggest canning resurgence in decades.

> As far as my peaches go, I ended up making five half pints of low-
> sugar jam (Pamona's recipe).

Pomona. (Sorry, it's a character flaw.)

> Then I took all my leftover pulp, about
> five cups, added it to the leftover light syrup from my canned
> peaches, juiced the leftover peels from all the peaches and am making
> a big batch of peach honey. I'm following the recipe from SETP but
> since my sugar amounts and everything is such a mishmash, I'll just
> freeze it.

Canning it would be fine. Sugar helps the color but it's the acidic
fruit that makes for the safety.

> I'm thinking some in ice cube trays to be tossed into
> smoothies and some for spritzers and maybe some used later as a
> sherbet type dessert.

I'd eat that.

> Thanks again to everyone. You are always so willing to jump in and
> help. You all are great!

Yah, sure. You betcha.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/17/2011 1:17 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sep 9, 4:00 pm, Melba's > wrote:

>>> Sounds good to me, and I'd bring it to a boil before I jarred and
>>> processed it. You might sweeten it a bit.

>>> How do you prepare your peaches for butter, Beti? I nuke mine in a
>>> glass measuring pitcher and pour off the juice for jelly. My Peach
>>> Melba Jelly won second place at my State Fair a couple weeks ago. :-0)

>> I've done a couple of batches just pureeing them in a food processor
>> and today I used a food mill. I've had trouble with the pulp
>> separating after processing so cooking them and mashing them in a pot
>> might work better. I'm not too worried about that aesthetic aspect
>> since I'm not entering the Oregon State Fair. Yet. :-)
>>
>>> I made some dandy Peach Barbecue Sauce, too in fact, that's what I
>>> used those cooked peaches for.

>>> Sometimes the juice is not as tasty as the flesh, Jorge. You wouldn't
>>> want to drink the plum juice I extract for jelly from my delicious plums.

> Dr. Andress has no staff to help her with that kind of thing anymore.
> :-( Better to try local university extension services or Ball's
> freshpreserving.com ‹ they have an 800 number on the side of every
> product package.
>

>>> Good luck with that one anymore. There's no staff. A travesty, IMNSHO.
>>> It's Dr. Andress alone, last time I heard from her.

>> Oregon State University has a canning hotline open 9am to 4pm Monday
>> through Friday from July 16 to Oct. 11. 1-800-354-7319.
>>
>> Does anyone know where these sorts of resources fall in terms of
>> government funding?

> If the hotline is at OSU, it's OSU's budget that allows it. Write to
> OSU's president for starters.
>

>> I'd like to start writing congresspeople and let
>> them know how important these organizations are.

> I've been singing that song for three years.
>
>> I see a new blog practically every day discussing canning and showing
>> off their efforts.

> And I wouldn't trust a lot of them just because I'm such a cynic.
>
>> I'll start campaigning to get people to write
>> their representatives and ask for more funding.

> Start by recommending that the National Center for Home Food
> Preservation be funded. They have no staff. It's insane‹nothing funded
> for research during the biggest canning resurgence in decades.

Contact your Congress Critters he http://www.contactingthecongress.org/
Simple to do, just type in your street address and the page will come up
with your Congress person and both your state senators. I send mine
emails on the NCHFP about every two months, so far I get answers but no
joy yet. Barb is right, those people are not supporting home food
preservation in a time of recession when more people are turning to that
type of thing.