Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pickled cauliflower

Put up four pints of pickled cauliflower yesterday. We picked our first
head of cauliflower and I used half of it. Used the recipe from "Joy of
Pickling," only three weeks until I find out if they're any good. Also
used Pickle Crisp in each jar, hopefully they will truly be crisp.

Slow rain falling with a threat of possible snow and/or ice tonight or
tomorrow, temps about right for it, running about 45F right now.
Supposed to be in the low thirties for the early part of the week. Did I
ever mention how much I despise snow and cold?

Also picked the last of the sweet chiles yesterday, one lone, stunted
bell pepper, very small. Chopped it and made a fritata for breakfast
this morning with sausage, cheese, and egg, with biscuits and raspberry
jam it was good.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 12:34:44 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Put up four pints of pickled cauliflower yesterday. We picked our first
>head of cauliflower and I used half of it. Used the recipe from "Joy of
>Pickling," only three weeks until I find out if they're any good. Also
>used Pickle Crisp in each jar, hopefully they will truly be crisp.
>
>Slow rain falling with a threat of possible snow and/or ice tonight or
>tomorrow, temps about right for it, running about 45F right now.
>Supposed to be in the low thirties for the early part of the week. Did I
>ever mention how much I despise snow and cold?
>
>Also picked the last of the sweet chiles yesterday, one lone, stunted
>bell pepper, very small. Chopped it and made a fritata for breakfast
>this morning with sausage, cheese, and egg, with biscuits and raspberry
>jam it was good.

OK George, go ahead, rub it in!
We've got white stuff out in our garden right now too but, it ain't
cauliflower.
We made curried mixed pickles back in September (one of my favourite
pickles) and they included cauliflower. Used PC with them. Opened a
couple of the jars over the holiday season and they were very nice and
crisp. Because the cauliflower is the favourite part of the favourite
pickles we put up a few jars of all cauliflower. Haven't tried them
yet but, I'm sure they'll be just great as well.
Current temperature here is -12ºC (about 10ºF) with the possibility of
15cm of snow.
We had a frittata for breakfast this morning as well but, I'm afraid
the pepper probably came from Holland rather than our garden.
Homemade whole wheat toast with homemade black raspberry jelly topped
it all off.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Put up four pints of pickled cauliflower yesterday. We picked our first
> head of cauliflower and I used half of it. Used the recipe from "Joy of
> Pickling," only three weeks until I find out if they're any good. Also
> used Pickle Crisp in each jar, hopefully they will truly be crisp.
>
> Slow rain falling with a threat of possible snow and/or ice tonight or
> tomorrow, temps about right for it, running about 45F right now.
> Supposed to be in the low thirties for the early part of the week. Did I
> ever mention how much I despise snow and cold?
>
> Also picked the last of the sweet chiles yesterday, one lone, stunted
> bell pepper, very small. Chopped it and made a fritata for breakfast
> this morning with sausage, cheese, and egg, with biscuits and raspberry
> jam it was good.

A friend gave me a couple of frozen "ghost peppers" and red and
chocolate-brown habaneros. Pickled cauliflower might be a good way to
use the ghost peppers (I'm afraid of them, but curious) -- one little
slice per jar.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/9/2011 6:18 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 12:34:44 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> Put up four pints of pickled cauliflower yesterday. We picked our first
>> head of cauliflower and I used half of it. Used the recipe from "Joy of
>> Pickling," only three weeks until I find out if they're any good. Also
>> used Pickle Crisp in each jar, hopefully they will truly be crisp.
>>
>> Slow rain falling with a threat of possible snow and/or ice tonight or
>> tomorrow, temps about right for it, running about 45F right now.
>> Supposed to be in the low thirties for the early part of the week. Did I
>> ever mention how much I despise snow and cold?
>>
>> Also picked the last of the sweet chiles yesterday, one lone, stunted
>> bell pepper, very small. Chopped it and made a fritata for breakfast
>> this morning with sausage, cheese, and egg, with biscuits and raspberry
>> jam it was good.

> OK George, go ahead, rub it in!
> We've got white stuff out in our garden right now too but, it ain't
> cauliflower.

No snow or sleet here and don't really expect any, got up this morning
to 47F and it's still 47F, winds out of the NE at 8 mph. Still to cold
for this old geezer.

> We made curried mixed pickles back in September (one of my favourite
> pickles) and they included cauliflower. Used PC with them. Opened a
> couple of the jars over the holiday season and they were very nice and
> crisp. Because the cauliflower is the favourite part of the favourite
> pickles we put up a few jars of all cauliflower. Haven't tried them
> yet but, I'm sure they'll be just great as well.

I'm glad to hear that, this is the first time I've tried to put up
cauliflower pickles. I don't care for cooked cauliflower but will eat it
raw with a dip and have always like it pickled. Time will tell I guess.

> Current temperature here is -12ºC (about 10ºF) with the possibility of
> 15cm of snow.

That's why the only way I would ever emigrate to Canada would be if the
Gulf of Mexico rose up so high I had to run for mountains somewhere.

> We had a frittata for breakfast this morning as well but, I'm afraid
> the pepper probably came from Holland rather than our garden.
> Homemade whole wheat toast with homemade black raspberry jelly topped
> it all off.
>
> Ross.

We had homemade raspberry jam with ours but I didn't make it, it was a
welcome gift from another preserver on this group. I have always like
raspberries but the Marionberry jam was outrageously good too.

I'm sitting here in an office that the thermostat shows to be at 70F
with my fingerless wool gloves and my fleece hoodie on and the hood is
over my head. I've not been warm in the last three days unless I was
standing in a hot shower and my laptop is not waterproof. <G>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/10/2011 11:31 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Put up four pints of pickled cauliflower yesterday. We picked our
>> first head of cauliflower and I used half of it. Used the recipe from
>> "Joy of Pickling," only three weeks until I find out if they're any
>> good. Also used Pickle Crisp in each jar, hopefully they will truly be
>> crisp.
>>
>> Slow rain falling with a threat of possible snow and/or ice tonight or
>> tomorrow, temps about right for it, running about 45F right now.
>> Supposed to be in the low thirties for the early part of the week. Did
>> I ever mention how much I despise snow and cold?
>>
>> Also picked the last of the sweet chiles yesterday, one lone, stunted
>> bell pepper, very small. Chopped it and made a fritata for breakfast
>> this morning with sausage, cheese, and egg, with biscuits and
>> raspberry jam it was good.

> A friend gave me a couple of frozen "ghost peppers" and red and
> chocolate-brown habaneros. Pickled cauliflower might be a good way to
> use the ghost peppers (I'm afraid of them, but curious) -- one little
> slice per jar.
>
> -Bob

Okay stump jumper, what exactly is a ghost pepper? I'm familiar with
habaneros of all colors and how hot they are, ask Barb about my habanero
hot sauce many years ago.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> On 1/10/2011 11:31 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>> Put up four pints of pickled cauliflower yesterday. We picked our
>>> first head of cauliflower and I used half of it. Used the recipe from
>>> "Joy of Pickling," only three weeks until I find out if they're any
>>> good. Also used Pickle Crisp in each jar, hopefully they will truly be
>>> crisp.
>>>
>>> Slow rain falling with a threat of possible snow and/or ice tonight or
>>> tomorrow, temps about right for it, running about 45F right now.
>>> Supposed to be in the low thirties for the early part of the week. Did
>>> I ever mention how much I despise snow and cold?
>>>
>>> Also picked the last of the sweet chiles yesterday, one lone, stunted
>>> bell pepper, very small. Chopped it and made a fritata for breakfast
>>> this morning with sausage, cheese, and egg, with biscuits and
>>> raspberry jam it was good.

>> A friend gave me a couple of frozen "ghost peppers" and red and
>> chocolate-brown habaneros. Pickled cauliflower might be a good way to
>> use the ghost peppers (I'm afraid of them, but curious) -- one little
>> slice per jar.
>>
>> -Bob

> Okay stump jumper, what exactly is a ghost pepper? I'm familiar with
> habaneros of all colors and how hot they are, ask Barb about my habanero
> hot sauce many years ago.

Ghost pepper is what they call some newly-discovered pepper from India
that's a lot hotter than a habanero.

http://floridagardener.com/critters/BhutJolokia.htm

BTW, I grew Naga Jolokia peppers a few years ago and was underwhelmed.
But that was a cold wet summer and they didn't really have a chance
(jalapeños did OK that year though)

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/10/2011 2:35 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:

>>> A friend gave me a couple of frozen "ghost peppers" and red and
>>> chocolate-brown habaneros. Pickled cauliflower might be a good way to
>>> use the ghost peppers (I'm afraid of them, but curious) -- one little
>>> slice per jar.
>>>
>>> -Bob

>> Okay stump jumper, what exactly is a ghost pepper? I'm familiar with
>> habaneros of all colors and how hot they are, ask Barb about my
>> habanero hot sauce many years ago.

> Ghost pepper is what they call some newly-discovered pepper from India
> that's a lot hotter than a habanero.
>
> http://floridagardener.com/critters/BhutJolokia.htm
>
> BTW, I grew Naga Jolokia peppers a few years ago and was underwhelmed.
> But that was a cold wet summer and they didn't really have a chance
> (jalapeños did OK that year though)
>
> -Bob

Looks like they would hurt on both ends, luckily I can't stand hot
chiles anymore so stay away from them and hot sauce. Looks like a
habanero crossed with a banana pepper.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
> > Put up four pints of pickled cauliflower yesterday. We picked our first
> > head of cauliflower and I used half of it. Used the recipe from "Joy of
> > Pickling," only three weeks until I find out if they're any good. Also
> > used Pickle Crisp in each jar, hopefully they will truly be crisp.
> >
> > Slow rain falling with a threat of possible snow and/or ice tonight or
> > tomorrow, temps about right for it, running about 45F right now.
> > Supposed to be in the low thirties for the early part of the week. Did I
> > ever mention how much I despise snow and cold?
> >
> > Also picked the last of the sweet chiles yesterday, one lone, stunted
> > bell pepper, very small. Chopped it and made a fritata for breakfast
> > this morning with sausage, cheese, and egg, with biscuits and raspberry
> > jam it was good.

> A friend gave me a couple of frozen "ghost peppers"

Chef at the local Vietnamese place says they're hotter than hot.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Okay stump jumper, what exactly is a ghost pepper?

Hotter than hot. Look up its Scoville rating against an habanero.

> I'm familiar with habaneros of all colors and how hot they are, ask
> Barb about my habanero hot sauce many years ago.

I still have a bottle of your hot sauce in my fridge, vintage 2004
Jorge's Run For The Creek Hot Sauce. It's good. I also have a bottle
of a Kiwifruit-Habanero sauce that Gloria Puester picked up for me in
New Zealand ‹ wicked hot and can't stop tasting it. Fortunately, she
brought two bottles for me.