George Shirley

Default Pickled cauliflower

Oh Gurus of the Canning Jar, this supplicant comes before you with a
request. Anyone got a real good recipe for pickled cauliflower? I used
the one in the BBB once before and they weren't crisp like the ones from
the major picklers. Help me Tito! I have four huge heads of cauliflower
to do something with. Wife planted too many of the nasty things and the
only way I'll eat them is pickled.

George

zxcvbob

George Shirley wrote:
> Oh Gurus of the Canning Jar, this supplicant comes before you with a
> request. Anyone got a real good recipe for pickled cauliflower? I used
> the one in the BBB once before and they weren't crisp like the ones from
> the major picklers. Help me Tito! I have four huge heads of cauliflower
> to do something with. Wife planted too many of the nasty things and the
> only way I'll eat them is pickled.
>
> George

Use whatever recipe (BBB should be fine) but don't process them. Just put
'em in quart or half-gallon jars, pour boiling brine over (to blanch them
as much as anything), and refrigerate.

Try adding a little epsom salt to the brine -- maybe a teaspoon. It will
sort of do what the calcium chloride commercial packers use does.

Best regards,
Bob
The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> Oh Gurus of the Canning Jar, this supplicant comes before you with a
> request. Anyone got a real good recipe for pickled cauliflower? I used
> the one in the BBB once before and they weren't crisp like the ones from
> the major picklers. Help me Tito! I have four huge heads of cauliflower
> to do something with. Wife planted too many of the nasty things and the
> only way I'll eat them is pickled.

I dunno, but last year I made pickled broccoli, canned style. Was awful.
Awful and mushy. How about a fresh pickle (one that stays in the fridge for
months)?
The mix i used for those pea pods was pretty nice:
half white wine (or rice wine?) vinegar and half water
salt & sugar to taste
herbs, garlic, maybe half a chile pepper
This would look nice with some other colorful veggies mixed in. You might
wanta try that low (185F?) pastuerization as opposed to BWB to death.
Edrena

The Joneses

zxcvbob wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
> Anyone got a real good recipe for pickled cauliflower?
>
> Use whatever recipe (BBB should be fine) but don't process them. Just put
> 'em in quart or half-gallon jars, pour boiling brine over (to blanch them
> as much as anything), and refrigerate.
> Try adding a little epsom salt to the brine -- maybe a teaspoon. It will
> sort of do what the calcium chloride commercial packers use does.

What does the epsom salt do for pickles? Makes my roses look nice.
Edrena

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Oh Gurus of the Canning Jar, this supplicant comes before you with a
>> request. Anyone got a real good recipe for pickled cauliflower? I used
>> the one in the BBB once before and they weren't crisp like the ones
>> from the major picklers. Help me Tito! I have four huge heads of
>> cauliflower to do something with. Wife planted too many of the nasty
>> things and the only way I'll eat them is pickled.
>>
>> George
>>

> Use whatever recipe (BBB should be fine) but don't process them. Just
> put 'em in quart or half-gallon jars, pour boiling brine over (to blanch
> them as much as anything), and refrigerate.
>
> Try adding a little epsom salt to the brine -- maybe a teaspoon. It
> will sort of do what the calcium chloride commercial packers use does.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Nope, can't do that, small fridge, not enough space for that sort of
thing. Guess I'll just use the BBB and try not to overprocess.

George

zxcvbob

The Joneses wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>

>>George Shirley wrote:
>>Anyone got a real good recipe for pickled cauliflower?
>>
>>Use whatever recipe (BBB should be fine) but don't process them. Just put
>>'em in quart or half-gallon jars, pour boiling brine over (to blanch them
>>as much as anything), and refrigerate.
>>Try adding a little epsom salt to the brine -- maybe a teaspoon. It will
>>sort of do what the calcium chloride commercial packers use does.

> What does the epsom salt do for pickles? Makes my roses look nice.
> Edrena

It crisps them. I'm not sure of the mechanism, but it has something to do
with binding to the pectin. It's not as effective as calcium salts, but
it's easy to obtain and does a pretty good job. I'm a little uneasy about
using alum.

What does epsom salts do for roses?

Best regards,
Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George Shirley
> wrote:

> Oh Gurus of the Canning Jar, this supplicant comes before you with a
> request. Anyone got a real good recipe for pickled cauliflower? I used
> the one in the BBB once before and they weren't crisp like the ones from
> the major picklers. Help me Tito! I have four huge heads of cauliflower
> to do something with. Wife planted too many of the nasty things and the
> only way I'll eat them is pickled.
>
> George

Use a brine for fresh-pack dills if you're after a dilly kind of thang.
Or the brine for dilled green beans. Personally, I don't think
processing pickled fresh cauliflower in a BWB is going to hurt it --
never hurt our dills. OTOH, Sistah Anne used to add cauliflowerettes to
her B&B pickles -- and I know you love THOSE. OTOH, who cares what
you like -- it's Miz Anne you're a'pleasin' here, Kiddo.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
Brian Mailman

George Shirley wrote:

> Oh Gurus of the Canning Jar, this supplicant comes before you with a
> request. Anyone got a real good recipe for pickled cauliflower? I used
> the one in the BBB once before and they weren't crisp like the ones from
> the major picklers.

Dunno why, but suddenly I'm thinking a recipe for pickled okra would
work.

B/
Ross Reid

George Shirley > wrote:

>Oh Gurus of the Canning Jar, this supplicant comes before you with a
>request. Anyone got a real good recipe for pickled cauliflower? I used
>the one in the BBB once before and they weren't crisp like the ones from
>the major picklers. Help me Tito! I have four huge heads of cauliflower
>to do something with. Wife planted too many of the nasty things and the
>only way I'll eat them is pickled.
>
>George

Greetings, George.
Lucky you, to have fresh cauliflower from your garden right now. The
only thing white in mine is about a foot and a half of snow.
If you like curry, here's the recipe for one of my favourite mixed
pickles. I don't know of any reason why you couldn't use all
cauliflower. I do think that using very fresh vegetables, along with
the overnight soak in the icy brine helps with crispness.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Curried Mixed Pickles

16 cups mixed vegetables of your choice; cut up
such as whole pickling onions,
cucumber, swt. red & green pepper,
cauliflower and slices of carrot
1/2 cup(s) pickling salt
1-1/2 gallon(s) ice water
3 cup(s) white vinegar
1-1/2 cup(s) water
4-1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
1-1/2 tablespoon(s) curry powder
1-1/2 teaspoon(s) fennel seed
1-1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
1-1/2 teaspoon(s) ground turmeric
7 thin slices horseradish root
7 thin slices ginger root

Combine the vegetables in a large glass, stainless steel or ceramic
bowl.
Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup pickling salt and cover with ice water. Let
stand overnight in a cool place. (I throw in about a quart of ice
cubes and use a weighted plate to keep the veggies submerged).
Next morning, combine the vinegar, 1-1/2 cups water, sugar and spices
in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, drain the vegetables. Place 1 slice each of ginger and
horseradish root in each of 7 clean, hot, pint jars. Pack with drained
vegetables. Cover with syrup, leaving 1/4" headspace. Affix
appropriate lids and rings.
Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Yield: 7 pints

Ross

Connie TenClay

How about in a "pickle pot". Several years ago on this list, I think it
was Ma Pickle, made a pickle pot that you set on the counter and just
added and ate out of it as the season progressed. I have done all kinds
of crisp veggies, with lots of garlic in it. We especially like the
garlic.
Connie TC

--
Connie TenClay NATA 252
http://home.new.rr.com/tenclay/connie

George Shirley

I've tried that one Connie, in our heat and humidity it grows strange
stuff on top and then the family doesn't want to eat it. If I make a
brine then I can't eat it due to high blood pressure already. I've
decided to just blanch and freeze the nasty cauliflower for the DW to
have when she wants it. A dollar says it goes the way of last years
batch, sits in the freezer until I reclaim the vac bags and compost the
contents. <VBG>

George

Connie TenClay wrote:
> How about in a "pickle pot". Several years ago on this list, I think it
> was Ma Pickle, made a pickle pot that you set on the counter and just
> added and ate out of it as the season progressed. I have done all kinds
> of crisp veggies, with lots of garlic in it. We especially like the
> garlic.
> Connie TC
>
> Ross Reid wrote:
>
>> George Shirley > wrote:
>>

>>> Oh Gurus of the Canning Jar, this supplicant comes before you with a
>>> request. Anyone got a real good recipe for pickled cauliflower? I
>>> used the one in the BBB once before and they weren't crisp like the
>>> ones from the major picklers. Help me Tito! I have four huge heads of
>>> cauliflower to do something with. Wife planted too many of the nasty
>>> things and the only way I'll eat them is pickled.
>>>
>>> George

UGAK9

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> The Joneses wrote:
>
> > zxcvbob wrote:
> >

> >>George Shirley wrote:
> >>Anyone got a real good recipe for pickled cauliflower?
> >>
> >>Use whatever recipe (BBB should be fine) but don't process them. Just

put
> >>'em in quart or half-gallon jars, pour boiling brine over (to blanch

them
> >>as much as anything), and refrigerate.
> >>Try adding a little epsom salt to the brine -- maybe a teaspoon. It

will
> >>sort of do what the calcium chloride commercial packers use does.

> > What does the epsom salt do for pickles? Makes my roses look nice.
> > Edrena
> >

> It crisps them. I'm not sure of the mechanism, but it has something to do
> with binding to the pectin. It's not as effective as calcium salts, but
> it's easy to obtain and does a pretty good job. I'm a little uneasy about
> using alum.
>
> What does epsom salts do for roses?
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Don't know 'bout roses, but a few tablespoons in the bottom of the planting
hole makes my 'maters grow like crazy. I swear it gives them a stronger
acid-y taste, too.

Lana Stuart

George Shirley

UGAK9 wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>The Joneses wrote:

> put

> them

> will

>>>What does the epsom salt do for pickles? Makes my roses look nice.
>>>Edrena
>>>

>>It crisps them. I'm not sure of the mechanism, but it has something to do
>>with binding to the pectin. It's not as effective as calcium salts, but
>>it's easy to obtain and does a pretty good job. I'm a little uneasy about
>>using alum.
>>
>>What does epsom salts do for roses?
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> Don't know 'bout roses, but a few tablespoons in the bottom of the planting
> hole makes my 'maters grow like crazy. I swear it gives them a stronger
> acid-y taste, too.
>
> Lana Stuart

Epsom salts are salts of magnesium, an essential thing that most plants
need and don't get enough of in our soils. A tablespoon or two in the
planting hole will help about any plant but does wonders for tomatoes,
peppers, and roses. We catch it on sale at the drugstore and buy several
boxes for later use in the garden. Also works with cabbage, broccoli,
and cauliflower. If it were cheaper I would put a lot more on the soil.
I also like to soak my tired old feet in epsom salts diluted with about
two quarts of warm water. Then you can pour the water around your toms
or peppers. <VBG>

George

Brian Mailman

George Shirley wrote:

> Epsom salts are salts of magnesium, an essential thing that most plants
> need and don't get enough of in our soils. A tablespoon or two in the
> planting hole will help about any plant but does wonders for tomatoes,
> peppers, and roses.

Hydrangeas, too. I forget if it's for the pink color or the deep blue.

B/
Puester

Brian Mailman wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>
> > Epsom salts are salts of magnesium, an essential thing that most plants
> > need and don't get enough of in our soils. A tablespoon or two in the
> > planting hole will help about any plant but does wonders for tomatoes,
> > peppers, and roses.

> Hydrangeas, too. I forget if it's for the pink color or the deep blue.
>
> B/

Depends on whether it's acid or basic.

Acid = blue hydrangeas
Basic/alkaline = pink

gloria p
who still remembers fondly the deep blue
hydrangea hedges on much of Cape Cod

George Shirley

Brian Mailman wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>

>>Epsom salts are salts of magnesium, an essential thing that most plants
>>need and don't get enough of in our soils. A tablespoon or two in the
>>planting hole will help about any plant but does wonders for tomatoes,
>>peppers, and roses.

> Hydrangeas, too. I forget if it's for the pink color or the deep blue.
>
> B/

Turn them blue with acidic materials, turn them pink with alkaline. We
have old ones planted around the edge of the house and the slab tends to
turn them pink. I feed them aluminum sulfate to keep them blue, usually
every two to three years works.

George

pickle

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> The Joneses wrote:
>
> > zxcvbob wrote:
> >

> >>George Shirley wrote:
> >>Anyone got a real good recipe for pickled cauliflower?
> >>
> >>Use whatever recipe (BBB should be fine) but don't process them. Just

put
> >>'em in quart or half-gallon jars, pour boiling brine over (to blanch

them
> >>as much as anything), and refrigerate.
> >>Try adding a little epsom salt to the brine -- maybe a teaspoon. It

will
> >>sort of do what the calcium chloride commercial packers use does.

> > What does the epsom salt do for pickles? Makes my roses look nice.
> > Edrena
> >

> It crisps them. I'm not sure of the mechanism, but it has something to do
> with binding to the pectin. It's not as effective as calcium salts, but
> it's easy to obtain and does a pretty good job. I'm a little uneasy about
> using alum.
>
> What does epsom salts do for roses?
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Say Hey Bob:

As the lady sez - *It makes them look nice*

Brian Mailman

George Shirley wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
> > George Shirley wrote:
> >

> >>Epsom salts are salts of magnesium, an essential thing that most plants
> >>need and don't get enough of in our soils. A tablespoon or two in the
> >>planting hole will help about any plant but does wonders for tomatoes,
> >>peppers, and roses.

> > Hydrangeas, too. I forget if it's for the pink color or the deep blue.
> >
> > B/

> Turn them blue with acidic materials, turn them pink with alkaline. We
> have old ones planted around the edge of the house and the slab tends to
> turn them pink. I feed them aluminum sulfate to keep them blue, usually
> every two to three years works.

I make my next door neighbor totally nutz for years now by messing with
his.... never told him why they change color from year to year. Well,
one year--think it was '96--I did tell him they change gender every year
and that might account for it.

B/
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

> > > Hydrangeas, too. I forget if it's for the pink color or the deep
> > > blue.
> > >
> > > B/

> > Turn them blue with acidic materials, turn them pink with alkaline.

> I make my next door neighbor totally nutz for years now by messing with
> his.... never told him why they change color from year to year. Well,
> one year--think it was '96--I did tell him they change gender every year
> and that might account for it.
>
> B/

Shame on you, Brian Mailman! ROTFL!!!
Sorta reminds me of the year that the next door neighbor sewed green
peppers on my puny pepper plants. She was generally the most dour woman
I ever knew.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>Turn them blue with acidic materials, turn them pink with alkaline.

>>I make my next door neighbor totally nutz for years now by messing with
>>his.... never told him why they change color from year to year. Well,
>>one year--think it was '96--I did tell him they change gender every year
>>and that might account for it.
>>
>>B/

> Shame on you, Brian Mailman! ROTFL!!!
> Sorta reminds me of the year that the next door neighbor sewed green
> peppers on my puny pepper plants. She was generally the most dour woman
> I ever knew.

And the year our backyard neighbor was bragging on his tomatoes and ours
were puny. That night my DW hung red satin Xmas balls, about four inches
in diameter, on all our maters. Neighbor about had a heart attack. We
still laugh about that one.

George

Loki

il Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:07:09 -0600, zxcvbob ha scritto:

> Use whatever recipe (BBB should be fine) but don't process them. Just put
> 'em in quart or half-gallon jars, pour boiling brine over (to blanch them
> as much as anything), and refrigerate.
>
> Try adding a little epsom salt to the brine -- maybe a teaspoon. It will
> sort of do what the calcium chloride commercial packers use does.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Won't epsom salt give one the runs? What about ordinary salt?
--
Cheers,

zxcvbob

Loki wrote:
> il Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:07:09 -0600, zxcvbob ha scritto:
>

>>Use whatever recipe (BBB should be fine) but don't process them. Just put
>>'em in quart or half-gallon jars, pour boiling brine over (to blanch them
>>as much as anything), and refrigerate.
>>
>>Try adding a little epsom salt to the brine -- maybe a teaspoon. It will
>>sort of do what the calcium chloride commercial packers use does.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> Won't epsom salt give one the runs? What about ordinary salt?

Yes, a *bunch* of epsom salt will give you the runs, but that takes at
least a tablespoon. I put less than that in an entire jar or pickles, so
unless you eat the whole jar at once (and drink all the pickle juice) you
don't have to worry about it. Magnesium is an essential mineral, and your
body knows what to do with it in small doses.

Ordinary salt does not have calcium or magnesium or aluminum ions, which
react with the pectin to make it firm and insoluble.

Best regards,
Bob
Wayne Boatwright

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Loki wrote:
>> il Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:07:09 -0600, zxcvbob ha scritto:
>>

>>>Use whatever recipe (BBB should be fine) but don't process them.
>>>Just put 'em in quart or half-gallon jars, pour boiling brine over
>>>(to blanch them as much as anything), and refrigerate.
>>>
>>>Try adding a little epsom salt to the brine -- maybe a teaspoon. It
>>>will sort of do what the calcium chloride commercial packers use
>>>does.
>>>
>>>Best regards,
>>>Bob

>> Won't epsom salt give one the runs? What about ordinary salt?

> Yes, a *bunch* of epsom salt will give you the runs, but that takes at
> least a tablespoon. I put less than that in an entire jar or pickles,
> so unless you eat the whole jar at once (and drink all the pickle
> juice) you don't have to worry about it. Magnesium is an essential
> mineral, and your body knows what to do with it in small doses.
>
> Ordinary salt does not have calcium or magnesium or aluminum ions,
> which react with the pectin to make it firm and insoluble.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

That reminds me of the old "joke" about what does one get when combining
milk of magnesia with vodka... A Phillips Screwdriver!

Wayne