Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Low Sugar Meyer Lemon Jelly or Marmalade???

Anybody got a tried 'n true recipe??? I was 'gifted' about 5 pounds
of Meyer Lemons at a Chanukah Party last night.

: - )
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Mimi > wrote:
> Anybody got a tried 'n true recipe??? I was 'gifted' about 5 pounds
> of Meyer Lemons at a Chanukah Party last night.

I love homemade orange marmalade. Not much or often, as I have diabetes.
This recipe should work well with Meyer Lemons:

Linda >

Here's a recipe I use to make one small single jar of marmalade. We
don't eat enough to warrant taking out the canning supplies.

Easy Orange Marmalade Recipe #78925
So easy to make! It makes one jar and is good on toast, or for
whatever recipe you use Orange Marmalade for. Enjoy!
by carole in orlando

25 min | 10 min prep

1 jar

* 1 medium navel orange
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/2 cup sugar

1. Select Navel oranges that have the thinnest peel.
2. If the orange is large double the amount of water and sugar.
3. Wash the orange thoroughly.
4. Cut off both ends of the orange.
5. Cut the orange in half, cut each half in about eight sections.
6. Place the orange sections in the food processor and pulse until
the peel is in tiny pieces.
7. In a medium saucepan place the processed orange, the water and
the sugar and bring to a gentle boil.
8. Low boil for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
9. Let cool, then place in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
10. Refrigerate to store.
11. When it is cold it is ready to eat.
12. I use 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Splenda and it works well.

© 2009 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http

Happy Chanukah!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Thanks Nick!!! Between your recipe and some Google searches, I've
worked out some notes and I'm going to try this on the weekend--when I
don't have to work and have the time. I've never made marmalade
although I've made jams/jellies for years and years.

: - )
Posted to rec.food.preserving

My first batch was a miserable failure. To say it was syrup would be
an understatement--it was so thin, I couldn't believe it...I just
*hate* failure...

So, I had to re-cook it--here is my final recipe:

4 cups meyer lemon juice
3 cups of sugar (I know that is really a lot for me but, we are
talking *really* tart juice here)
1 box of Ball No-Sugar-Needed Pectin

This turned out awesome. The right balance of sweet-tart. Even Hun
Bun, who is not fond of anything tart, liked it. I can't wait to take
a jar to my weekly breakfast-with-my-peeps-before-work on Thursday.

: - ]
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 12/13/2010 7:22 PM, Mimi wrote:
> My first batch was a miserable failure. To say it was syrup would be
> an understatement--it was so thin, I couldn't believe it...I just
> *hate* failure...
>
> So, I had to re-cook it--here is my final recipe:
>
> 4 cups meyer lemon juice
> 3 cups of sugar (I know that is really a lot for me but, we are
> talking *really* tart juice here)
> 1 box of Ball No-Sugar-Needed Pectin
>
> This turned out awesome. The right balance of sweet-tart. Even Hun
> Bun, who is not fond of anything tart, liked it. I can't wait to take
> a jar to my weekly breakfast-with-my-peeps-before-work on Thursday.
>
> : - ]

Not quite as easy as making dewberry jelly is it Mimi? You should have
seen my first batch of kumquat marmalade, or should I say kumquat syrup!
Sounds delicious though. Alas, our Ponderosa lemon tree was frozen to
the ground last winter. Luckily we have several scions come up from the
roots, we covered them for the freeze this week and they survived.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

No, not quite as easy as Dewberry but, it did take me a try or two to
get that right too.

: - ]
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 12/14/2010 9:22 AM, Mimi wrote:
> No, not quite as easy as Dewberry but, it did take me a try or two to
> get that right too.
>
> : - ]

That's what happened to us on our first dewberry jelly some 45 years
ago. I do miss that dewberry patch that was in the southwest pasture at
the old home place. We fenced it off, burned it once a year to encourage
new growth, and harvested berries every year from 1961 to 1976. Even
after Miz Anne and I moved we would come back to pick dewberries. When
Mom went to the nursing home in 1990 we kids sold the place to provide
her a nest egg to live on and the new owner mowed every thing in sight
down to nothing. Even mowed a marked patch of rare terrestrial orchids
that we had nursed along for years. Only ones outside the Big Thicket
and that idiot mowed them all. He evidently liked the "park" look rather
than the natural look.

Dewberries make an excellent wine if you get a bumper crop. We put up
ten gallons one year in one-gallon jugs. Ran up on a lost jug when we
moved to Houston in 1976, had been sitting in the pantry for about ten
years. Man, that was some good wine, didn't last long once we popped the
cork. Good memories of my old home place and where our kids were raised
up until their later teen years. My family had lived there since the
early forties, Mom, Dad, Grandmother, Aunt, Uncle, two adult cousins,
quite the crew back in the day. All are gone now but Miz Anne and I and
our descendants so we don't miss living there, it wouldn't be the same
anymore.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

>our Ponderosa lemon tree was frozen to
>the ground last winter.

whimper.
>Luckily we have several scions come up from the
>roots, we covered them for the freeze this week and they survived.

Excellent!
Shawn

Meyer Lemon Zest Nonny Barbecue 7 18-07-2009 06:49 PM
REC: Russ Meyer Lemon Chicken Gregory Morrow[_2_] General Cooking 0 17-04-2008 04:20 AM
Meyer Lemon & Tequila 8-) koko General Cooking 3 31-12-2007 07:28 AM
Poached Salmon with Lemon Crisps and Meyer Lemon Cream becky Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2007 02:42 AM
Lemon marmalade - why have I got liquid on top of set marmalade? aspley General Cooking 3 26-03-2006 02:24 PM