Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default brown something on inner surface of green and red peppers?

Lately a lot of the green and red peppers I've bought have brown something
on areas of their inner surface. It looks ughy so I've been cutting those
parts out and trashing them, but I'd like to know what this is. Maybe
some kind of fungus?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/21/2010 12:30 AM, Ellen K. wrote:
> Lately a lot of the green and red peppers I've bought have brown
> something on areas of their inner surface. It looks ughy so I've been
> cutting those parts out and trashing them, but I'd like to know what
> this is. Maybe some kind of fungus?

Have you had a particularly wet year? Sometimes that will cause a fungal
growth inside your chiles. Just pare it out and continue on. I've
actually cut into sweet chiles that had water in them after a hard rain.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 10/21/2010 12:30 AM, Ellen K. wrote:
>> Lately a lot of the green and red peppers I've bought have brown
>> something on areas of their inner surface. It looks ughy so I've been
>> cutting those parts out and trashing them, but I'd like to know what
>> this is. Maybe some kind of fungus?

> Have you had a particularly wet year? Sometimes that will cause a fungal
> growth inside your chiles. Just pare it out and continue on. I've actually
> cut into sweet chiles that had water in them after a hard rain.

Thanks for the response!

Where I *live* (Los Angeles County) we just started getting the first rains,
but I have no idea where the peppers are *grown*. We did have
record-breaking heat (up to 117 F) in September.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/21/2010 10:49 AM, Ellen K. wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> On 10/21/2010 12:30 AM, Ellen K. wrote:
>>> Lately a lot of the green and red peppers I've bought have brown
>>> something on areas of their inner surface. It looks ughy so I've been
>>> cutting those parts out and trashing them, but I'd like to know what
>>> this is. Maybe some kind of fungus?

>> Have you had a particularly wet year? Sometimes that will cause a
>> fungal growth inside your chiles. Just pare it out and continue on.
>> I've actually cut into sweet chiles that had water in them after a
>> hard rain.
>>

> Thanks for the response!
>
> Where I *live* (Los Angeles County) we just started getting the first
> rains, but I have no idea where the peppers are *grown*. We did have
> record-breaking heat (up to 117 F) in September.

Probably grown elsewhere no doubt, also probable that it was an
irrigated area considering Southern California. I wouldn't worry to much
about the brown "stuff", just carve it off and toss it.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 10/21/2010 10:49 AM, Ellen K. wrote:

>>> Have you had a particularly wet year? Sometimes that will cause a
>>> fungal growth inside your chiles. Just pare it out and continue on.
>>> I've actually cut into sweet chiles that had water in them after a
>>> hard rain.
>>>

>> Thanks for the response!
>>
>> Where I *live* (Los Angeles County) we just started getting the first
>> rains, but I have no idea where the peppers are *grown*. We did have
>> record-breaking heat (up to 117 F) in September.

> Probably grown elsewhere no doubt, also probable that it was an irrigated
> area considering Southern California. I wouldn't worry to much about the
> brown "stuff", just carve it off and toss it.

That's what I've been doing, but it's annoying in that there is no way to
tell from the outside that one is going to find this. A few days ago I was
making Moroccan fish (which uses red peppers), of the two red peppers I had
bought for the purpose, one was completely unusable because the brown stuff
completely covered the entire inner surface.

Do you think the excessive heat for 2-3 weeks followed by normal rain could
do such a thing?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/21/2010 11:35 AM, Ellen K. wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks for the response!
>>>
>>> Where I *live* (Los Angeles County) we just started getting the first
>>> rains, but I have no idea where the peppers are *grown*. We did have
>>> record-breaking heat (up to 117 F) in September.

>> Probably grown elsewhere no doubt, also probable that it was an
>> irrigated area considering Southern California. I wouldn't worry to
>> much about the brown "stuff", just carve it off and toss it.
>>

> That's what I've been doing, but it's annoying in that there is no way
> to tell from the outside that one is going to find this. A few days ago
> I was making Moroccan fish (which uses red peppers), of the two red
> peppers I had bought for the purpose, one was completely unusable
> because the brown stuff completely covered the entire inner surface.
>
> Do you think the excessive heat for 2-3 weeks followed by normal rain
> could do such a thing?

Yup, we have the same problem occasionally with our home grown chiles.
We live in SW Louisiana, humidity today is 100% and the temp is 81F. If
the humidity stays low the chiles do fine, at high rates with high temps
they tend to wilt somewhat and the fruit is then affected.

If you're buying your chiles I would complain to the vendor, they're not
worth much if you have to throw most of them out.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 10/21/2010 11:35 AM, Ellen K. wrote:

>>> Probably grown elsewhere no doubt, also probable that it was an
>>> irrigated area considering Southern California. I wouldn't worry to
>>> much about the brown "stuff", just carve it off and toss it.
>>>

>> That's what I've been doing, but it's annoying in that there is no way
>> to tell from the outside that one is going to find this. A few days ago
>> I was making Moroccan fish (which uses red peppers), of the two red
>> peppers I had bought for the purpose, one was completely unusable
>> because the brown stuff completely covered the entire inner surface.
>>
>> Do you think the excessive heat for 2-3 weeks followed by normal rain
>> could do such a thing?

> Yup, we have the same problem occasionally with our home grown chiles. We
> live in SW Louisiana, humidity today is 100% and the temp is 81F. If the
> humidity stays low the chiles do fine, at high rates with high temps they
> tend to wilt somewhat and the fruit is then affected.
>
> If you're buying your chiles I would complain to the vendor, they're not
> worth much if you have to throw most of them out.

First I would have to remember which store I bought each batch at... <sigh>

Well, if this is my biggest problem in life, I think I'm good, right?

Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:30:45 -0700, "Ellen K." > wrote:

I'm doing some kinda emphasis thing with the quoted words. I'm sure I've a reason.

>Lately a lot of the green and red peppers I've bought

Bought.
>have brown something
>on areas of their inner surface.

Inner surface.
>It looks ughy so I've been cutting those
>parts out and trashing them, but I'd like to know what this is. Maybe
>some kind of fungus?

I thing I haven't experienced for a few years is an anti fungal wax.
The grower treats the peppers with the wax and the outside of the pepper
does not rot, dry or go bad in any way.
BUT: --- The inside does.

When those 'persons' were using that wax here the peppers felt sticky at the
store, and when the store managers finally understood what was going on they
were very angry and possibly? Very Very angry.

At the store I'd buy a few beautiful green bell peppers. I'd get them home and
start to pare them and the insides would be rotten.
-
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"SDT" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:30:45 -0700, "Ellen K."
> > wrote:
>
> I'm doing some kinda emphasis thing with the quoted words. I'm sure I've a
> reason.
>
>>Lately a lot of the green and red peppers I've bought

> Bought.
>>have brown something
>>on areas of their inner surface.

> Inner surface.
>>It looks ughy so I've been cutting those
>>parts out and trashing them, but I'd like to know what this is. Maybe
>>some kind of fungus?

> I thing I haven't experienced for a few years is an anti fungal wax.
> The grower treats the peppers with the wax and the outside of the pepper
> does not rot, dry or go bad in any way.
> BUT: --- The inside does.
>
> When those 'persons' were using that wax here the peppers felt sticky at
> the
> store, and when the store managers finally understood what was going on
> they
> were very angry and possibly? Very Very angry.
>

> At the store I'd buy a few beautiful green bell peppers. I'd get them home
> and
> start to pare them and the insides would be rotten.
> -

EEEeeewwwww.

That would explain it though.

<sigh>

Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

>It looks ughy

"Ughy."
I assumed it was a tlypo and ignored it but realized:
If "ughy" isn't a real word, it needs to be.
I can kinda see the horrified shudder that would go with saying
"That's ughy!"
Shawn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

It's a real word in certain dialects of American English although I have no
idea whether that's how it's spelled.

"SDT" > wrote in message
> >It looks ughy

> "Ughy."
> I assumed it was a tlypo and ignored it but realized:
> If "ughy" isn't a real word, it needs to be.
> I can kinda see the horrified shudder that would go with saying
> "That's ughy!"
> Shawn

Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

Google seems to like "ughy."
Wow, I have a new word. ;p
Can't pronounce it, but....
>It's a real word in certain dialects of American English although I have no
>idea whether that's how it's spelled.

-
>> I can kinda see the horrified shudder that would go with saying
>> "That's ughy!"

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Re the pronunciation, a better transliteration would be UKH-ee. IOW the
consonant is like the ch in loch (as in Loch Lomond). I wrote it "ughy"
since one does see "Ugh" written a lot.

"SDT" > wrote in message

> Google seems to like "ughy."
> Wow, I have a new word. ;p
> Can't pronounce it, but....
>>It's a real word in certain dialects of American English although I have
>>no
>>idea whether that's how it's spelled.

> -
>>> I can kinda see the horrified shudder that would go with saying
>>> "That's ughy!"

REC: Onions and Green Peppers Mike Muth General Cooking 10 17-01-2013 12:27 PM
brown something on inside surface of green and red peppers? Ellen K. Diabetic 15 16-11-2010 09:21 AM
brown something on inside surface of green and red peppers? Nick Cramer Diabetic 6 22-10-2010 01:45 AM
Stuffed Green Peppers Duckie ® Recipes 0 22-06-2005 01:48 AM
Stuffed Green Peppers Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-06-2005 02:10 PM