Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Onions and Green Peppers

Simple but tasty...

Onions and Green Peppers
You could add some chopped up bacon or ham slices to this dish.

6 green bell peppers
2 medium onions
2 Tbsp butter or fat
1/2 tsp salt

Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers.
Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
Pare and slice the onions.
Melt the fat in a skillet.
Fry the onions for a few minutes in the skillet.
Stir in the peppers.
Cover and gently simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
The peppers should be tender but not shriveled.

--
Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My nemesis Mike Muth dared to post this:

> Simple but tasty...

Sez you. Feh.

> Onions and Green Peppers
> You could add some chopped up bacon or ham slices to this dish.
>
> 6 green bell peppers

You can forget the rest of this slop. Obviously "Muth" doesn't know shit about
good food. Green peppers are the worst possible choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My nemesis Mike Muth dared to post this:

> Simple but tasty...

Sez you. Feh.

> Onions and Green Peppers
> You could add some chopped up bacon or ham slices to this dish.
>
> 6 green bell peppers

You can forget the rest of this slop. Obviously "Muth" doesn't know shit about
good food. Green peppers are the worst possible choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 19:06:52 GMT, "Mike Muth"
> wrote:

> Simple but tasty...
>
> Onions and Green Peppers
> You could add some chopped up bacon or ham slices to this dish.
>
> 6 green bell peppers
> 2 medium onions
> 2 Tbsp butter or fat
> 1/2 tsp salt
>
> Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers.
> Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
> Pare and slice the onions.
> Melt the fat in a skillet.
> Fry the onions for a few minutes in the skillet.
> Stir in the peppers.
> Cover and gently simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
> The peppers should be tender but not shriveled.

Something like the above makes a great pasta dish too. I use multi
colored peppers, onion, diced tomatoes and garlic. Sauté in olive oil
until the tomatoes have disintegrated somewhat and the vegetables are
tender crisp. Add a little vegetable or chicken broth, herbs and mix
with cooked pasta. Meat lovers can add something like browned slices
of andouille sausage, but I can live without meat in that dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My nemesis Mike Muth dared to post this:

> Simple but tasty...

Sez you. Feh.

> Onions and Green Peppers
> You could add some chopped up bacon or ham slices to this dish.
>
> 6 green bell peppers

You can forget the rest of this slop. Obviously "Muth" doesn't know shit about
good food. Green peppers are the worst possible choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 19:06:52 GMT, "Mike Muth"
> wrote:

>Simple but tasty...
>
>Onions and Green Peppers
>You could add some chopped up bacon or ham slices to this dish.
>
>6 green bell peppers
>2 medium onions
>2 Tbsp butter or fat
>1/2 tsp salt
>
>Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers.
>Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
>Pare and slice the onions.
>Melt the fat in a skillet.
>Fry the onions for a few minutes in the skillet.
>Stir in the peppers.
>Cover and gently simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
>The peppers should be tender but not shriveled.

Onions and green peppers in this fashion are great as a topping for
hot sandwiches such as fajitas, sausage sandwiches, beef sandwiches.
You've ruined the cooking of them by covering and simmering. This is
not needed. Get the pan hot, add the fat until sizzles or shimmers
and then add onions first for just a bit and then the green peppers,.
Stir constantly until wilted. Serve. These vegetables will look
better, taste better and probably retain more nutrients with the quick
cook, stir fry method. The veggies will continue to cook out of the
pan until they cool.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2013 1:06 PM, Mike Muth wrote:
> Simple but tasty...
>
> Onions and Green Peppers
> You could add some chopped up bacon or ham slices to this dish.
>
> 6 green bell peppers
> 2 medium onions
> 2 Tbsp butter or fat
> 1/2 tsp salt
>
> Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers.
> Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
> Pare and slice the onions.
> Melt the fat in a skillet.
> Fry the onions for a few minutes in the skillet.
> Stir in the peppers.
> Cover and gently simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
> The peppers should be tender but not shriveled.

From Julia Child's "The Way To Cook"

Piperade
(Sliced red and green peppers in garlic and olive oil)

1 medium onion, sliced
2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium green pepper, sliced
1 medium red pepper, sliced
1 large clove of garlic, pureed
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Pinch of mixed dried herbs

Saute the onion in a frying pan with the oil until translucent. Add
the peppers along with the garlic, tossing with a sprinkling of salt,
pepper, and herbs. Saute uncovered, tossing several times, for 2-3
minutes, until the peppers are nearly tender.

This freezes well, though personally I never have any left over to
freeze. When I make it, I add a shot of balsamic vinegar to the
piperade along with the peppers etc, then saute for the 2-3 minutes
and remove from the heat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Onions and Green Peppers

"Mike Muth" > wrote in message
> Simple but tasty...
>
> Onions and Green Peppers
> You could add some chopped up bacon or ham slices to this dish.
>
> 6 green bell peppers
> 2 medium onions
> 2 Tbsp butter or fat
> 1/2 tsp salt
>
> Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers.
> Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
> Pare and slice the onions.
> Melt the fat in a skillet.
> Fry the onions for a few minutes in the skillet.
> Stir in the peppers.
> Cover and gently simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
> The peppers should be tender but not shriveled.

I make these with olive oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Egomania R Moi" > wrote in message
> My nemesis Mike Muth dared to post this:
>
>> Simple but tasty...

> Sez you. Feh.
>
>> Onions and Green Peppers
>> You could add some chopped up bacon or ham slices to this dish.
>>
>> 6 green bell peppers

> You can forget the rest of this slop. Obviously "Muth" doesn't know shit
> about
> good food. Green peppers are the worst possible choice.

Why? I prefer the taste of green for some things. For instance to top bean
or cheese enchiladas.

Senior Member

Nice Recipe..i am searching for this kind of stuff from many days!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16-Jan-2013, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Why? I prefer the taste of green for some things. For
> instance to top bean
> or cheese enchiladas.

Because, for some unknown reason, he detests me and so obsesses
over it that he checks my posts for reasons to complain.

It's rather odd since he said he never sees threads I start.
It's kind of pitiful and amazingly small minded, too.

Your response points to something I've been saving here for over
a year. Our tastes vary (TWIAVBP) and what one person likes is
not necessarily what another likes. So, we should consider any
recipe posted to be something we can a) use as is because it's
what we like, b) a starting point on a journey to a recipe which
is exactly what we like, or c) something to ignore because we
don't like that.

Personally, I don't like Brussels sprouts, but I don't attack
people who post recipes for them.

--
Mike