Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Apple juice

I'm half-way through making juice from 25 lbs of Norland apples off our
two trees. So far, so good. I'm using the recipe from the Bernardin
Book of Home Preserving.

The Norlands are hardy up here in the ice and snow but while they're a
beautifully tart eating and pie apple, they''re not a good storage
apple. So it's chop 'em up, mash 'em, and put them in the jelly bag for
a few hours. Once that's done, I'll run the leftover pulp through my
tomato mill and get the last of it. At that point I'll taste, maybe add
some water, and then can by quarts in a BWB.

The trees have really produced since we planted them five years ago. We
had almost nothing last year due to a June frost, but this year I had
to prop up branches.

I put a sign up in the yard that said "They're ripe! Please enjoy an
apple!" It was a pleasure watching people from babies to elderly folk
in wheelchairs stop and pic just the right apple for them.

I've already done 6 pints of apple butter from them, and will still
have another 25 or 30 pounds left after the juice. Hmm...

Oh, the biggest one I weighed came in at 7.7 ounces, nearly half a
pound!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/22/2010 11:25 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
> I'm half-way through making juice from 25 lbs of Norland apples off our
> two trees. So far, so good. I'm using the recipe from the Bernardin
> Book of Home Preserving.
>
> The Norlands are hardy up here in the ice and snow but while they're a
> beautifully tart eating and pie apple, they''re not a good storage
> apple. So it's chop 'em up, mash 'em, and put them in the jelly bag for
> a few hours. Once that's done, I'll run the leftover pulp through my
> tomato mill and get the last of it. At that point I'll taste, maybe add
> some water, and then can by quarts in a BWB.
>
> The trees have really produced since we planted them five years ago. We
> had almost nothing last year due to a June frost, but this year I had
> to prop up branches.
>
> I put a sign up in the yard that said "They're ripe! Please enjoy an
> apple!" It was a pleasure watching people from babies to elderly folk
> in wheelchairs stop and pic just the right apple for them.
>
> I've already done 6 pints of apple butter from them, and will still
> have another 25 or 30 pounds left after the juice. Hmm...
>
> Oh, the biggest one I weighed came in at 7.7 ounces, nearly half a
> pound!

You're a lucky man. Apples don't grow well this far south but pears do,
go figure. You can always make apple jelly from the juice too. I make
pear jelly each year with the juice that is left after I make pear
sauce. It's always a hit with friends and family.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, George
Shirley > wrote:

> You're a lucky man. Apples don't grow well this far south but pears do,
> go figure. You can always make apple jelly from the juice too. I make
> pear jelly each year with the juice that is left after I make pear
> sauce. It's always a hit with friends and family.

I've got lots of crabapple jelly in the cold room from last year, so
this batch will be put up as juice, to be mulled and sipped while
stirring with a cinnamon stick on a cold, cold February evening...
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 22, 9:25*am, Dave Balderstone
> wrote:

> I put a sign up in the yard that said "They're ripe! Please enjoy an
> apple!" It was a pleasure watching people from babies to elderly folk
> in wheelchairs stop and pic just the right apple for them.

It's pretty great that you share them with your community!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
Beti > wrote:

> On Aug 22, 9:25Â*am, Dave Balderstone
> > wrote:
>
> > I put a sign up in the yard that said "They're ripe! Please enjoy an
> > apple!" It was a pleasure watching people from babies to elderly folk
> > in wheelchairs stop and pic just the right apple for them.
> >

> It's pretty great that you share them with your community!

When I put the trees in, I deliberately put one closer to the sidewalk
than the other, just for this reason.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Beti" > wrote in message
On Aug 22, 9:25 am, Dave Balderstone
> wrote:

> I put a sign up in the yard that said "They're ripe! Please enjoy an
> apple!" It was a pleasure watching people from babies to elderly folk
> in wheelchairs stop and pic just the right apple for them.

It's pretty great that you share them with your community!

I only wish my "community" would share some of MY fruit with me.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wallace" > wrote:
> "Beti" > wrote in message
> Dave Balderstone > wrote:
>
> > I put a sign up in the yard that said "They're ripe! Please enjoy an
> > apple!" It was a pleasure watching people from babies to elderly folk
> > in wheelchairs stop and pic just the right apple for them.
> >

> It's pretty great that you share them with your community!
>
> I only wish my "community" would share some of MY fruit with me.

We have two pomegranite trees in our front yard. When they begin to look
ripe, most of the pomegranites disappear! They begin to look ripe before
they actually are.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/24/2010 4:15 PM, Wallace wrote:
> > wrote in message
> On Aug 22, 9:25 am, Dave Balderstone
> > wrote:
>
>> I put a sign up in the yard that said "They're ripe! Please enjoy an
>> apple!" It was a pleasure watching people from babies to elderly folk
>> in wheelchairs stop and pic just the right apple for them.
>>

> It's pretty great that you share them with your community!
>
> I only wish my "community" would share some of MY fruit with me.

I got a laugh out of that one. My dentist has an orange tree inside a
fence around the back of his office building. He told me that he heard
someone talking out there and there were three adult woman picking his
oranges and putting them in big bags. He walked out the back door and
asked what they were doing. One smarted off and said, "Obviously we're
picking oranges." He called the cops and had them arrested for stealing
and trespassing. They had pulled two boards off the fence to get in and
take the oranges. The judge fined them all fifty dollars each, 100 hours
community service, and warned them that if they trespassed and stole
peoples stuff again they would go to jail. They protested that they were
"just taking oranges that no one wanted." The dentist is always willing
to share but you have to ask or he will offer some oranges if you're a
patient. Some folks have more nerve than they have sense. I miss my
dentist, he retired and sold his practice and the new guy cut the orange
tree down because it "made a mess on the grass."
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> My dentist has an orange tree inside a
> fence around the back of his office building. He told me that he heard
> someone talking out there and there were three adult woman picking his
> oranges and putting them in big bags. He walked out the back door and
> asked what they were doing. One smarted off and said, "Obviously we're
> picking oranges." He called the cops and had them arrested for stealing
> and trespassing. They had pulled two boards off the fence to get in and
> take the oranges. The judge fined them all fifty dollars each, 100 hours
> community service, and warned them that if they trespassed and stole
> peoples stuff again they would go to jail. They protested that they were
> "just taking oranges that no one wanted." The dentist is always willing
> to share but you have to ask or he will offer some oranges if you're a
> patient. Some folks have more nerve than they have sense. I miss my
> dentist, he retired and sold his practice and the new guy cut the orange
> tree down because it "made a mess on the grass."

What an idiot. Free, healthy food should not be destroyed.

Did you know the late Leila Abu-Saba who posted to various food groups?
She told a story about her mid-eastern born father visiting her in
Berkeley, taking walks, and picking olives from the ground. He would
process them and leave her many quarts of olives in the pantry when he
went back to the east coast.

I related to that because when I visited my daughter in Poway there were
edible olives planted around many of the shopping centers. When the
olives dropped they really covered the ground and NO ONE seemed to
notice. Daughter also had lime and lemon trees when they bought their
house and planted a few orange trees. Many neighbors had old citrus
trees loaded with fruit and never picked them. What a waste!

Dimitri's "heritage" depression photos reminded me again how spoiled and
wasteful we have become in the past 50 years.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/25/2010 6:19 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> My dentist has an orange tree inside a fence around the back of his
>> office building. He told me that he heard someone talking out there
>> and there were three adult woman picking his oranges and putting them
>> in big bags. He walked out the back door and asked what they were
>> doing. One smarted off and said, "Obviously we're picking oranges." He
>> called the cops and had them arrested for stealing and trespassing.
>> They had pulled two boards off the fence to get in and take the
>> oranges. The judge fined them all fifty dollars each, 100 hours
>> community service, and warned them that if they trespassed and stole
>> peoples stuff again they would go to jail. They protested that they
>> were "just taking oranges that no one wanted." The dentist is always
>> willing to share but you have to ask or he will offer some oranges if
>> you're a patient. Some folks have more nerve than they have sense. I
>> miss my dentist, he retired and sold his practice and the new guy cut
>> the orange tree down because it "made a mess on the grass."

> What an idiot. Free, healthy food should not be destroyed.
>
> Did you know the late Leila Abu-Saba who posted to various food groups?
> She told a story about her mid-eastern born father visiting her in
> Berkeley, taking walks, and picking olives from the ground. He would
> process them and leave her many quarts of olives in the pantry when he
> went back to the east coast.
>
> I related to that because when I visited my daughter in Poway there were
> edible olives planted around many of the shopping centers. When the
> olives dropped they really covered the ground and NO ONE seemed to
> notice. Daughter also had lime and lemon trees when they bought their
> house and planted a few orange trees. Many neighbors had old citrus
> trees loaded with fruit and never picked them. What a waste!
>
> Dimitri's "heritage" depression photos reminded me again how spoiled and
> wasteful we have become in the past 50 years.
>
> gloria p

Nope, don't remember her. Many, many people around here have purchased
older homes with fruit trees and either cut them down, or just pick up
the fallen fruit and toss it in the trash. Good friends of mine did that
with two pear trees and two satsuma trees her Dad had planted on the
property. She didn't want to "mess" with mowing around them with the
riding mower and didn't like the mess they left on the ground. She
doesn't eat anything but meat, cheese, rice and gravy, white bread,
tomatoes and crawfish or fresh water fish. Other than that and a
sometimes nasty disposition when she's upset, usually at her husband.
Good friend when you need help but not one you would invite to dinner as
she will flat refuse if the meal isn't one she likes.

Miz Anne and I grew harvesting wild fruit and plants plus had Dad's with
big gardens, anywhere from half an acre to three acres if they felt up
to it. We also grew up preserving food for the family to eat and for the
winter. Our kids no longer put food by but like it when we gift them
with stuff they like. Both our kids were in 4H from the time they were
old enough until they went to high school. Both participated in raising
most of our own food, including animals they helped milk, feed, butcher,
and process. Now they both have small salad gardens.

Apple cider vs. apple juice -- what's the difference? [email protected] General Cooking 0 06-10-2015 02:20 PM
What ro do with bad apple juice? [email protected] General Cooking 24 11-12-2009 01:35 AM
apple juice dilution? Wm Watt Preserving 1 06-08-2006 02:12 AM
apple juice Hugh Willmer Winemaking 1 07-11-2005 01:51 AM
Apple Juice To Sweeten Apple Wine genekay Winemaking 5 18-11-2003 08:34 PM