The Cook

Default Canning Jars

Hit great stash today at a yard sale. About 120 jars, all sizes, for
$20. There are even a few 1/2 gallon ones.

Thursday afternoon we picked 2 gallons of muscadine grapes. Thursday
evening and Friday morning I extracted juice. Thank goodness for the
Mehu Lisa. The rest of the day Friday I made jelly. One patch of
purple grapes I made without added pectin and it is beautiful and
clear. The other batch of purple I made with Pomona's pectin and it
worked well too. Only used 2 cups of sugar for 4 cups of juice. I
then did 2 batches of bronze muscadine juice and no added pectin. Not
quite a firm as the first batch, but most of the grapes were ripe
since someone else actually picked the bronze. Next time I will pay
more attention to the ripeness of the fruit. They all taste just
fine.

Back to washing jars. When I buy jars at a yard sale I like to make
sure that they will come clean and do not seem to have problems before
I put the away. Better to find out now.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Puester

The Cook wrote:

> Hit great stash today at a yard sale. About 120 jars, all sizes, for
> $20. There are even a few 1/2 gallon ones.

Wow, you did GOOD, lady!!!

> Thursday afternoon we picked 2 gallons of muscadine grapes.

Ack! We have Concords about 3/4 ripe but the raccoons discovered
them about 3 days ago. I doubt there'll be many left by the time
they are really ripe. SInce we're doing the South Beach Diet and
are not supposed to eat jam anyway, I guess it's not too great a loss.

Congratulations on finding the jars. It's nice to know they are
being re-used when the original owner no longer needs them. It
would be a crying shame if they were sent to the dump.

gloria p

Puester

The Cook wrote:

> Hit great stash today at a yard sale. About 120 jars, all sizes, for
> $20. There are even a few 1/2 gallon ones.

Wow, you did GOOD, lady!!!

> Thursday afternoon we picked 2 gallons of muscadine grapes.

Ack! We have Concords about 3/4 ripe but the raccoons discovered
them about 3 days ago. I doubt there'll be many left by the time
they are really ripe. SInce we're doing the South Beach Diet and
are not supposed to eat jam anyway, I guess it's not too great a loss.

Congratulations on finding the jars. It's nice to know they are
being re-used when the original owner no longer needs them. It
would be a crying shame if they were sent to the dump.

gloria p
The Cook

Puester > wrote:

>The Cook wrote:
>>
>> Hit great stash today at a yard sale. About 120 jars, all sizes, for
>> $20. There are even a few 1/2 gallon ones.
>>

>Wow, you did GOOD, lady!!!
>

>> Thursday afternoon we picked 2 gallons of muscadine grapes.

>Ack! We have Concords about 3/4 ripe but the raccoons discovered
>them about 3 days ago. I doubt there'll be many left by the time
>they are really ripe. SInce we're doing the South Beach Diet and
>are not supposed to eat jam anyway, I guess it's not too great a loss.
>
>Congratulations on finding the jars. It's nice to know they are
>being re-used when the original owner no longer needs them. It
>would be a crying shame if they were sent to the dump.
>
>gloria p

Thanks. I am sorry about your FIL. And I hope that the canning jars
you left there find a good home.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Canning jars George Shirley Preserving 13 11-07-2010 12:56 PM
More canning jars The Cook Preserving 2 21-09-2008 01:44 PM
More about canning jars The Cook Preserving 2 29-08-2008 02:06 PM
Canning jars? Nancy Young General Cooking 14 01-06-2006 03:32 AM
Canning Jars nutNhoney Preserving 11 21-07-2004 04:21 AM