Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default More about canning jars

I talked to the manager of the grocery store today and told him I was
glad to see that they were keeping a stock of canning jars. He said
he was trying, upping the order every time and still could not keep
everything in stock.

At least he is trying and doing a pretty got job of it.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> I talked to the manager of the grocery store today and told him I was
> glad to see that they were keeping a stock of canning jars. He said
> he was trying, upping the order every time and still could not keep
> everything in stock.
>
> At least he is trying and doing a pretty got job of it.

See if he'll ask his clerks to inquire of the purchasers what they're
planning to put up. I'm curious.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:42:02 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> I talked to the manager of the grocery store today and told him I was
>> glad to see that they were keeping a stock of canning jars. He said
>> he was trying, upping the order every time and still could not keep
>> everything in stock.
>>
>> At least he is trying and doing a pretty got job of it.

>See if he'll ask his clerks to inquire of the purchasers what they're
>planning to put up. I'm curious.

I'm guessing almost anything that grows around here that lends itself
to canning. This is a very rural area. Most of your usual fruits and
vegetables grow here and there are peach, apple and cherry orchards
nearby. Blackberries grow wild all over the place. At the Yadkinville
farmers market there was a woman selling peaches that had been picked
that morning and carefully handled. She also has apples. The people
who sell at the farmers markets are mostly small farmers. If they
would change the rules so that people could come once or twice if they
had an over abundance of something and not be charged for the full
season, we might take some things down. I am not prepared to start
gardening for sale. Ten years younger, maybe.

I need to get my entry in for the Dixie Classic Fair done. There are
a few thing that I am not sure about, but will put on the list. No
problem if you don't bring something but no way you can add something
after the entry deadline.

Decided on a new way to freeze soup. Put it in the wide mouth
can/freeze jars with the plastic lids. So much simpler. Looks like
10 or 12 pints of butternut soup. Recipe from Cooks Illustrated.

Canning jars George Shirley Preserving 13 11-07-2010 12:56 PM
More canning jars The Cook Preserving 2 21-09-2008 01:44 PM
Canning jars? Nancy Young General Cooking 14 01-06-2006 03:32 AM
Canning Jars The Cook Preserving 6 25-09-2004 08:53 PM
Canning Jars nutNhoney Preserving 11 21-07-2004 04:21 AM