William R. Watt

Default tasteless acid ?

Wondering if there is a tasteless acid which can be added to rose hip
juice to make jelly.

The rose hip juice I have is high in pectin but low in acid. If I add
apple juice which has both, I get a lot of pectin. Lemon and red sumac
juices have acid with no pectin but are strong tasting and overpower
the delicate flavour of the rose.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
zxcvbob

William R. Watt wrote:
> Wondering if there is a tasteless acid which can be added to rose hip
> juice to make jelly.
>
> The rose hip juice I have is high in pectin but low in acid. If I add
> apple juice which has both, I get a lot of pectin. Lemon and red sumac
> juices have acid with no pectin but are strong tasting and overpower
> the delicate flavour of the rose.
>
> --

Go to a homebrew supply shop. They have several food-grade acids
available, especially citric, malic, and tartatic acids. Some also sell
88% lactic acid. Citric and malic acids are not expensive. Tartaric
costs twice as much, but still not bad if that's what you need.

Here's the shop I usually use, because he's local and a good guy:
http://www.makewineandbeer.com (order some of the 8-year-old cheddar
while you're at it)

I'd recommend starting with malic acid, or winemaker's "acid blend"
(premixed citric, malic, and tartaric acid.)

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

William R. Watt wrote:
> Wondering if there is a tasteless acid which can be added to rose hip
> juice to make jelly.
>
> The rose hip juice I have is high in pectin but low in acid. If I add
> apple juice which has both, I get a lot of pectin. Lemon and red sumac
> juices have acid with no pectin but are strong tasting and overpower
> the delicate flavour of the rose.
>
> --

Go to a homebrew supply shop. They have several food-grade acids
available, especially citric, malic, and tartatic acids. Some also sell
88% lactic acid. Citric and malic acids are not expensive. Tartaric
costs twice as much, but still not bad if that's what you need.

Here's the shop I usually use, because he's local and a good guy:
http://www.makewineandbeer.com (order some of the 8-year-old cheddar
while you're at it)

I'd recommend starting with malic acid, or winemaker's "acid blend"
(premixed citric, malic, and tartaric acid.)

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob

William R. Watt wrote:
> Wondering if there is a tasteless acid which can be added to rose hip
> juice to make jelly.
>
> The rose hip juice I have is high in pectin but low in acid. If I add
> apple juice which has both, I get a lot of pectin. Lemon and red sumac
> juices have acid with no pectin but are strong tasting and overpower
> the delicate flavour of the rose.
>
> --

Go to a homebrew supply shop. They have several food-grade acids
available, especially citric, malic, and tartatic acids. Some also sell
88% lactic acid. Citric and malic acids are not expensive. Tartaric
costs twice as much, but still not bad if that's what you need.

Here's the shop I usually use, because he's local and a good guy:
http://www.makewineandbeer.com (order some of the 8-year-old cheddar
while you're at it)

I'd recommend starting with malic acid, or winemaker's "acid blend"
(premixed citric, malic, and tartaric acid.)

Best regards,
Bob
David J. Braunegg

Only problem I've had with the acid blend for preserving is that when
recipes do mention an acid quantity (e.g., as an alternative to lemon juice
or vinegar), they state a quantity of citric acid. I have no idea how to
convert that to a quantity of the blend.

Dave

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I'd recommend starting with malic acid, or winemaker's "acid blend"
> (premixed citric, malic, and tartaric acid.)

David J. Braunegg

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I'd recommend starting with malic acid, or winemaker's "acid blend"
> (premixed citric, malic, and tartaric acid.)

Brian Mailman

David J. Braunegg wrote:

> Only problem I've had with the acid blend for preserving is that when
> recipes do mention an acid quantity (e.g., as an alternative to lemon juice
> or vinegar), they state a quantity of citric acid. I have no idea how to
> convert that to a quantity of the blend.

I forget who posted it but it was recently... and I was looking for the
a similar formulation. Seems citric acid is 12x sronger than lemon
juice; i.e., 1/4 teaspoon citric acid/sour salt was the equivalent of 3
tablespons lemon juice. That doesn't help you with the blend though.

B/
Brian Mailman

David J. Braunegg wrote:

> Only problem I've had with the acid blend for preserving is that when
> recipes do mention an acid quantity (e.g., as an alternative to lemon juice
> or vinegar), they state a quantity of citric acid. I have no idea how to
> convert that to a quantity of the blend.

I forget who posted it but it was recently... and I was looking for the
a similar formulation. Seems citric acid is 12x sronger than lemon
juice; i.e., 1/4 teaspoon citric acid/sour salt was the equivalent of 3
tablespons lemon juice. That doesn't help you with the blend though.

B/

Peter Watson

Tartaric Acid would be better...

Hiya Barb!! had a big year I see.

Peter Watson
Australia

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> (William R. Watt) wrote:
>

>>Wondering if there is a tasteless acid which can be added to rose hip
>>juice to make jelly.

> I'd use citric acid. It will add tartness, but no flavor.

Peter Watson

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> (William R. Watt) wrote:
>

>>Wondering if there is a tasteless acid which can be added to rose hip
>>juice to make jelly.

> I'd use citric acid. It will add tartness, but no flavor.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Peter Watson
> wrote:

> Tartaric Acid would be better...
>
> Hiya Barb!! had a big year I see.

G'daymate.

It is. More to come. :-)

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Peter Watson
> wrote:

> Tartaric Acid would be better...
>
> Hiya Barb!! had a big year I see.

G'daymate.

It is. More to come. :-)

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Ascorbic acid (vitamin c) vs. citric acid The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 2 29-07-2014 06:51 PM
Tasteless apples - Doug K Nancy Young General Cooking 14 17-11-2005 12:57 AM
tasteless apples rmg General Cooking 25 28-10-2005 09:33 PM
Tasteless ingredients Daisy General Cooking 29 25-10-2004 09:27 AM
Tilapia--what does one do with this tasteless bargain? Gerald I. evenden General Cooking 15 08-11-2003 03:20 AM