Gerald I. evenden

Default Tilapia--what does one do with this tasteless bargain?

Subject says it all.

Tried the fish once and felt that is was just imitation cardboard.

And not very interesting cardboard at that.

Cheap enough.

Any comments or clues on how to prepare it?
Lucas, Peter

"Gerald I. evenden" > wrote in news:YVgqb.539
:

> Subject says it all.
>
> Tried the fish once and felt that is was just imitation cardboard.
>
> And not very interesting cardboard at that.
>
> Cheap enough.
>
> Any comments or clues on how to prepare it?

We normally yank it out of the dams/waterways, bash it on the head,
stick it in a garbage bag and put it in the rubbish bin.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Smithfarms Pure Kona

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 00:51:04 GMT, "Gerald I. evenden"
> wrote:

>Subject says it all.
>
>Tried the fish once and felt that is was just imitation cardboard.
>
>And not very interesting cardboard at that.
>
>Cheap enough.
>
>Any comments or clues on how to prepare it?

When I was a kid, tilapia were put in the sugar plantation reservoirs
because it was thought they would keep back the aquatic weeds which
congested the reservoir. ("They" were wrong.) One night I caught 50
plus tilapia. When in the later decades tilapia was mentioned as a
food fish, I had to gasp. If they had been good eating, the sugar
plantations could have closed and become tilapia farms.
fwiw
aloha,
Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Jonathan Sachs

"Gerald I. evenden" > wrote:

>Subject says it all.

Nonsense, tilapia has very distinctive flavor. It tastes like mud. I
mentioned this in a related thread just a few days ago, and it ended
with the useful suggestion that I try blackened catfish instead.

My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

Julia Altshuler

I'm wondering if I should admit liking it. In fact, tilapia is a
favorite of mine. I think it mild but flavorful with a nice texture. I
cook it browned butter like trout meuniere or make a sauce for it from
sauteed onions and peppers with tomato puree or spoon a little tamari
and ginger on it.

But if you don't like the taste, I'm not sure why you'd want to prepare
it. If I hate the taste of something, the best I can do is to put it in
another flavor so strong as to hide it. I try not to do that. For me,
cooking is about bringing out the natural flavors in foods I like, not
figuring out a way to swallow foods I hate.

--Lia

Gerald I. evenden wrote:
> Subject says it all.
>
> Tried the fish once and felt that is was just imitation cardboard.
>
> And not very interesting cardboard at that.
>
> Cheap enough.
>
> Any comments or clues on how to prepare it?

Thalocean2

>Subject says it all.
>
>Tried the fish once and felt that is was just imitation cardboard.
>
>And not very interesting cardboard at that.
>
>Cheap enough.
>
>Any comments or clues on how to prepare it?

I rather liked it too. The earthy flavor of the fish went well with a mushroom
gravy and wild rice pilaf.

Laura B.
Chris and Bob Neidecker

"Gerald I. evenden" > wrote in message
> Subject says it all.
>
> Tried the fish once and felt that is was just imitation cardboard.
>
> And not very interesting cardboard at that.
>
> Cheap enough.
>
> Any comments or clues on how to prepare it?

There's a recipe on epicurious.com for Tilapia with Chile Lime Butter. I'm
pretty sure it used to be Chilean Sea Bass with Chile Lime Butter, but they
switched it to tilapia since Chilean sea bass is a no-no. In any case, most
of the reviewers on epicurious loved this recipe.

We had grilled tuna the other night. My husband made his very rare and ate
it with wasabi and rice, but I simply don't like it that way. So he cooked
mine to my liking (and then some, unfortunately....usually he gets it just
right), and I topped it with the chile lime butter. The butter was good,
although a bit too salty for me. It was good on the slightly overcooked
tuna, and I think it would have been fantastic on perfectly cooked tuna.

Imitation Cardboard with Chile Lime Butter...what sides do you serve with
that?/

notbob

On 2003-11-06, Gerald I. evenden > wrote:
> Subject says it all.
>
> Tried the fish once and felt that is was just imitation cardboard.

The Mexicans figured out how to do it years ago. You take a whole
fish, make a couple diagonal cuts on both sides, coat it in a lightly
spiced flour, and deep fry it. I never knew talapia was a trash fish.
I used to go down to Garcia's taqueria in Santa Clara and order it.
It was excellent. My Mexican cow orker related how, in his youth, his
relatives would get an old disk off a disk plow, weld a plate to close
the hole, and weld on a 3 legs. They'd then put the whole thing over
an open fire, fill it with oil, and deep fry talapia. Kinda like a
Weber in the backyard, only a deepfrying. My only problem is I have
yet to discover the secret to the "lightly spiced flour" mix (my cow
orker was a cooking illiterate).

nb
JANIC412

ubject says it all.

Tried the fish once and felt that is was just imitation cardboard.

And not very interesting cardboard at that.

Cheap enough.

Any comments or clues on how to prepare it?
\

Sometimes when I make Potato/Leek soup, I add a few talapia fillets on top of
the potatos when it has finished cooking and cook the fish until flaky, An
instant fish soup of sorts. Very tasty. Jan

Peggy

Gerald I. evenden wrote:

> Subject says it all.
>
> Tried the fish once and felt that is was just imitation cardboard.
>
> And not very interesting cardboard at that.
>
> Cheap enough.
>
> Any comments or clues on how to prepare it?

Look for a South Indian recipe with lots of spices and chile peppers!

Peg

modom

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:16:45 -0500, Peggy
> wrote:

>Gerald I. evenden wrote:
>
>> Subject says it all.
>>
>> Tried the fish once and felt that is was just imitation cardboard.
>>
>> And not very interesting cardboard at that.
>>
>> Cheap enough.
>>
>> Any comments or clues on how to prepare it?

>Look for a South Indian recipe with lots of spices and chile peppers!
>
>Peg

I smoked some once and made prairie maki with it. Not bad.

modom
WardNA

>Any comments or clues on how to prepare it?

Like most mild-flavored, firm-fleshed fish, it can be batter-fried and, as
such, is inoffensive.

Yes, Tilapia is awfully dull.

Neil

: It was excellent. My Mexican cow orker related how, in his youth, his

: yet to discover the secret to the "lightly spiced flour" mix (my cow
: orker was a cooking illiterate).

You have a Mexican Cow Orker? Wow. I don't even have a Cow, much
less a Mexican that Orks it...

Aria

Fry it up in a beer battter...yummy!! Very mellow yet tasty.

> wrote in message
> : It was excellent. My Mexican cow orker related how, in his youth, his
>
> : yet to discover the secret to the "lightly spiced flour" mix (my cow
> : orker was a cooking illiterate).
>

> You have a Mexican Cow Orker? Wow. I don't even have a Cow, much
> less a Mexican that Orks it...

Tasteless apples - Doug K Nancy Young General Cooking 14 17-11-2005 01:57 AM
tasteless apples rmg General Cooking 25 28-10-2005 09:33 PM
Tasteless ingredients Daisy General Cooking 29 25-10-2004 09:27 AM
tasteless acid ? William R. Watt Preserving 16 26-09-2004 02:41 AM
Sleazy PETA, gratuitously provocative and tasteless as ever Jonathan Ball Vegan 422 17-01-2004 04:06 AM