Daisy

Default Tasteless ingredients

I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.

If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
therefore a lot of work.

I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
oyster sauce. Makes a world of difference.

Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
the same problem with duck - now why is that?)

Cheers and thanx

Daisy
CJB

previously in rfc, Daisy > wrote:

> I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
> with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
> marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
> tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.
>
> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
> therefore a lot of work.
>
> I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
> these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
> bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
> oyster sauce. Makes a world of difference.
>
> Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
> the same problem with duck - now why is that?)

Aside from the things you've mentioned, ingredients like vinegars and lemon
& lime juice add a lot of flavor.

You can make a marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt & pepper
and pour it over a cut up chicken in a casserole dish and then bake it. I
like to add long wedges of potato and whole garlic cloves to the spaces
between the chicken pieces and then pour the marinade over the top of
everything. This is really delicous and then when you serve it there are
plenty of lemony garlicky oregano-ey juices to pour over it!

Another ingredient to try, if you haven't already, is fish sauce - you can
get it anyplace you get your other asian ingredients, and it goes great in
combination with lime - I love both of those on eggplant before I grill
slices.

I love zuchinni rough chopped and cooked in a saucepan with a little olive
oil, chopped onion and chopped tomato - nice size hunks, really, let it
cook down, stirring once in a while - takes about 20 minutes, salt and
pepper, and serve over pasta with grated cheese. One of my favorites, and
very flavorful.

And lastly, I can suggest interesting salty ingredients to experiment with,
like capers, olives, sauerkraut...

-Claudia

In rec.food.cooking, Daisy > wrote:

> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great.

Salt and pepper them and cook in a 350 degree oven.

<shrug> Works for me.

My guess is that you have some trouble tasting things.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
zxcvbob

Daisy wrote:
> I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
> with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
> marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
> tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.
>
> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
> therefore a lot of work.
>
> I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
> these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
> bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
> oyster sauce. Makes a world of difference.
>
> Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
> the same problem with duck - now why is that?)
>
> Cheers and thanx
> Daisy

It could be how you are cooking it. If chicken is tasteless, you are
probably overcooking it.

Someone I know likes to take expensive boneless skinless fresh chicken
thighs and put them in a crock pot for about 24 hours with some chicken
broth and all kinds of spices and onions and condiments and stuff -- and
they come out tasteless, of course, and she can't figure out why.

I thaw out a few boneless skinless chicken thighs that I buy frozen in
big bags at Sams. I put them in a nonstick skillet and sprinkle with
freshly-ground pepper (they don't need any salt because of the sodium
phosphate they were injected with, grrr), and slowly panfry them in
their own juice and fat until all the water has evaporated and they are
browned lightly. They have *lots* of flavor, and were lots cheaper and
easier than that crockpot abomination.

Back when I could buy unadulterated chicken leg quarters, I used to
remove the excess fat, lift the skin and sprinkle the meat with "hickory
smoked salt". Then put the skin back in place and bake.

Another thing to do with good chicken parts (if you can find them) is
soak a few dried New Mexico chiles and grind them to a thin paste with a
little garlic and a chicken bouillon cube. Pour over the cut-up chicken
(it works better with dark meat) in a lasagna pan, and bake until done.
Serve with warm flour tortillas, grated sharp cheddar, sour cream,
avocados, jalapenos, etc.
zxcvbob

Daisy wrote:
> I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
> with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
> marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
> tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.
>
> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
> therefore a lot of work.
>
> I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
> these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
> bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
> oyster sauce. Makes a world of difference.
>
> Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
> the same problem with duck - now why is that?)
>
> Cheers and thanx
> Daisy

It could be how you are cooking it. If chicken is tasteless, you are
probably overcooking it.

Someone I know likes to take expensive boneless skinless fresh chicken
thighs and put them in a crock pot for about 24 hours with some chicken
broth and all kinds of spices and onions and condiments and stuff -- and
they come out tasteless, of course, and she can't figure out why.

I thaw out a few boneless skinless chicken thighs that I buy frozen in
big bags at Sams. I put them in a nonstick skillet and sprinkle with
freshly-ground pepper (they don't need any salt because of the sodium
phosphate they were injected with, grrr), and slowly panfry them in
their own juice and fat until all the water has evaporated and they are
browned lightly. They have *lots* of flavor, and were lots cheaper and
easier than that crockpot abomination.

Back when I could buy unadulterated chicken leg quarters, I used to
remove the excess fat, lift the skin and sprinkle the meat with "hickory
smoked salt". Then put the skin back in place and bake.

Another thing to do with good chicken parts (if you can find them) is
soak a few dried New Mexico chiles and grind them to a thin paste with a
little garlic and a chicken bouillon cube. Pour over the cut-up chicken
(it works better with dark meat) in a lasagna pan, and bake until done.
Serve with warm flour tortillas, grated sharp cheddar, sour cream,
avocados, jalapenos, etc.

Nexis

"Daisy" > wrote in message
> I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
> with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
> marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
> tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.
>
> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
> therefore a lot of work.
>
> I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
> these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
> bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
> oyster sauce. Makes a world of difference.
>
> Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
> the same problem with duck - now why is that?)
>
> Cheers and thanx
>

> Daisy

I can relate, Daisy. I love well flavored foods too.
Take your new found Asian ingredients and use them with some of those
ingredients! Especially chicken, pork, or turkey, sliced thinly. Marinate in
hoisin and oyster sauce in equal measure, along with some soy sauce. Stir
fry, adding in the veggies when the meat is halfway done. Makes for a very
yummy flavor.

Also, for poultry, use brines and rubs for added flavor. You can flavor a
brine any way you like, just add in whatever herbs, spices, etc that you
prefer. It helps if you crush any fresh herbs, garlic, etc first before
adding to the brine. Also, if you seek out poultry that is raised the old
fashioned way, rather than from the mass commercial producers (think
heritage turkey over butterball), you'll find they have much more flavor
than the supermarket counterparts.

For zucchini, drizzle with a Meyer lemon or blood orange olive oil, sprinkle
with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, and grill. During the last stage
of grilling, squeeze a lemon slice over them, just enough to lightly mist
the spears. Very yummy! The grilling adds a nice layer of flavor to alot of
veggies.

kimberly

Dadisi

One word: BRINE!!!!

The best way to put flavor in your meat is to brine it. Alton Brown
has a good brine recipe and so does the GE cooking club...

After a soak good old osmosis makes that poultry sing.

Daisy > wrote in message >. ..
> I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
> with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
> marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
> tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.
>
> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
> therefore a lot of work.
>
> I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
> these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
> bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
> oyster sauce. Makes a world of difference.
>
> Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
> the same problem with duck - now why is that?)
>
> Cheers and thanx
>

> Daisy

Bob Myers

"Daisy" > wrote in message

> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
> therefore a lot of work.

For poultry, one word: brine. Go forth with that
word and Google...

Bob M.

Noino

Brine them and use plenty of herbs, lemon, garlic and other flavoring of
your choice...you will never eat either chicken or turkey any other way
after you have tried them this way. Use kosher salt for the brine, there is
usually a recipe on the box.

"Daisy" > wrote in message
> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great.

Noino

"Daisy" > wrote in message
> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great.

Daisy

I am so sorry everyone but I don't understand brine. I am a long-time
cook and have never heard of this (except for corned beef). I only
own one American cookbook and it doesn't have anything about brine in
it.

I would like someone please to explain to me what this brine is. I
live in New Zealand, and (says she modestly) it is said we have some
of the best natural foods in the world. I really have tried chicken
all different ways.

Sometimes I cook an organic chicken (these are more expensive than
regular battery-raised chooks) but I have to be careful that it
doesn't dry out. Organic (or free-range) poultry means they have
been running round a lot in the fresh air. OK well and good. But
running round also toughens them up - specially the legs!

I once was given a free-range farm-bred turkey to roast. I obeyed all
the instructions and no one, but no one, could get a knife through the
thighs of this turkey. The rest of it was well enough I suppose,
quite dark pink or reddish and not terribly tender. I made a huge
stuffing that everyone enjoyed. The plates had bits of turkey left on
them but NO stuffing!

I have also tried many ways with egg-plant but have given up. It
really does need a lot of additional flavour things.

I did try courgettes, stir fried in garlic butter and a little chilli.
But marrow - never!

Thanx all

Daisy
Kswck

"CJB" > wrote in message
> previously in rfc, Daisy > wrote:
>
>> I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
>> with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
>> marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
>> tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.
>>
>> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
>> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
>> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
>> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
>> therefore a lot of work.
>>
>> I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
>> these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
>> bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
>> oyster sauce.

Try using a wok instead.

>> Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
>> the same problem with duck - now why is that?)

I should wonder why you can't taste many things.
Are you a heavy smoker or drinker? Both will dull the taste buds.
Try using fresh herbs instead of salt and pepper. Or dried ones for a more
intense taste.
Fresh sage on chicken or duck, rosemary on a beef roast or lamb, garlic on
virtually everything.

Kswck

"Daisy" > wrote in message
>I am so sorry everyone but I don't understand brine. I am a long-time
> cook and have never heard of this (except for corned beef). I only
> own one American cookbook and it doesn't have anything about brine in
> it.

Brine is a mixture of broth/water, herbs, garlic, onions, depends of what
you want-and soaking the bird in the mixture for a few hours, then cooking.
The flavor of the brine soaks in and gives the flavor to the meat.

Paul and Deb

Though you discount eggplant, I'll take a chance and start with that first!
Do you like Salsa? It can really liven up the eggplant, especially if you
use a hot, spicy type. So, layer your eggplant with salsa, some sharp
cheese, slivered onions, red/yellow/orange peppers, a sprinkling of
cilantro, black pepper and oregano, and enjoy the melding of flavors. I
do the same thing with Zucchini or marrow squash, and even with butternut
squash slices... The combination is wonderful!

Now, for poultry, try rubbing it and basting with some lemon or lime juice
in addition to your poultry seasonings or even some Balti spice (found in
Indian/Pakistani stores, or at Penzey's Spices online or in your area).
One of the best chicken recipes I ever tasted was presented at a dinner by
one of my piano students' families before I left Huntsville, AL to return to
the northeast. Her mother had marinated chicken parts (skin on) in a
mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, basil and thyme... It was the
most delicious chicken I have ever tasted!

Because I teach a very large roster of piano students all day, 6 days a
week, I create several small meals a day rather than sit for three square.
In my toaster oven I always have heating either salt-free nacho crackers
lined with very thin-sliced cheese and stacked with steamed zucchini,
eggplant, onion, pepper, broccoli, cauliflower or butternut squash pieces,
covered with salsa and a little more cheese (all low-fat/low-sodium as I am
sodium-free), and topped with home-made cole slaw. These snacks bake in a
slow oven until browned all over, and are not only delicious and healthy,
but very fragrant when students walk in for their lessons!

I don't have a lot of time to cook except on Sunday evenings, when I might
make a huge pot of turkey neck soup (in winter) which includes turkey necks,
lots of onion, garlic cloves (smashed), diced carrots, pepper
(yellow/red/orange), celery, sometimes escarole, lots of poultry seasoning
as well as addidtional parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, balti seasoning,
crushed black and green peppercorns, and a touch of cilantro. I generally
combine my spices with water, bring to a boil, then add the turkey necks,
bring again to a boil then set to simmer overnight (my new Dacor range top
is perfect for that.. Setting the pot between "low" an "2" keeps it at a
very even temperature, never boiling over. In the morning the soup is
fragrant, and the turkey is very well flavored.

Hope this is helpful to you!

ctmusicteacher

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Kswck" > wrote in message
et...

> "CJB" > wrote in message
> > previously in rfc, Daisy > wrote:
> >
> >> I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
> >> with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
> >> marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
> >> tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.
> >>
> >> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> >> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
> >> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
> >> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
> >> therefore a lot of work.
> >>
> >> I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
> >> these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
> >> bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
> >> oyster sauce.

> Try using a wok instead.
>

> >> Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
> >> the same problem with duck - now why is that?)

> I should wonder why you can't taste many things.
> Are you a heavy smoker or drinker? Both will dull the taste buds.
> Try using fresh herbs instead of salt and pepper. Or dried ones for a more
> intense taste.
> Fresh sage on chicken or duck, rosemary on a beef roast or lamb, garlic on
> virtually everything.

Paul and Deb

[...]

"Kswck" > wrote in message
et...

> "CJB" > wrote in message
> > previously in rfc, Daisy > wrote:
> >
> >> I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
> >> with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
> >> marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
> >> tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.
> >>
> >> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> >> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
> >> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
> >> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
> >> therefore a lot of work.
> >>
> >> I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
> >> these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
> >> bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
> >> oyster sauce.

> Try using a wok instead.
>

> >> Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
> >> the same problem with duck - now why is that?)

> I should wonder why you can't taste many things.
> Are you a heavy smoker or drinker? Both will dull the taste buds.
> Try using fresh herbs instead of salt and pepper. Or dried ones for a more
> intense taste.
> Fresh sage on chicken or duck, rosemary on a beef roast or lamb, garlic on
> virtually everything.

Dave Smith

Daisy wrote:

> I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
> with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
> marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
> tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.
>
> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
> therefore a lot of work.

Have you tried salt and pepper?
I don't want to sound snarky, but sometimes that is all you need to bring
out flavours in foods, and a lot of people just don't use enough of it. I
find that chicken and pork especially need a lot more salt than I used to
use.

When I roast small chickens I toss one or two garlic cloves and 1/4 lemon
into the cavity after giving it a good shot of salt and pepper, rub the
outside with olive oil and give it a sprinkle of salt and pepper then cook
it about an hour and a half in a 425 degree oven on a rack in a pan into
which I add a cup of water. When it's done, tent the chicken, drain fat,
squash the now cooked garlic into the juices and make gravy sauce with the
drippings.

Chicken breasts are very versatile. Marinate them in some variation of an
oil and vinegar dressing, store bought or home made, and add various herbs
and spices. They can then be baked, pan fried or grilled.

Flatten chicken breast and dredge them in seasoned flour, dry in butter
until cooked on both sides. Remove the breasts from the pan and add some
decent white wine to deglaze the pan and reduce to a delicious sauce.

For something even simpler, liberally sprinkle some cajun spice on both
sides of chicken breasts and allow them to sit for 30 minutes to an hour
and grill them in a grill pan or on a BBQ.

One of my favourites for chicken is Tandoori. You can buy Tandoori powder
in any asian market or in some grocery stores. Mix it with lemon juice,
vegetable oil, salt and yogurt. Remove skin from chicken pieces, pierce
the chicken to the bone with a sharp knife, rub with lemon juice and then
toss the pieces into the marinade for 8 hours or overnight. Cook it in a
very hot oven. It is delicious.

> I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
> these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
> bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
> oyster sauce. Makes a world of difference.
>
> Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
> the same problem with duck - now why is that?)

Turkey is turkey. It's not my favourite fowl. I eat it at Thanksgiving
and Christmas because of some silly tradition. It needs a tasty stuffing,
some good gravy and cranberry sauce. And when I say cranberry sauce I mean
the real thing, not the red crap in a can.

Duck? Can't help you there. I have had it in restaurants and loved it. I
have tried it at home many times. Two tries ago I promised I would never
cook duck again. I broke that promise and ended up with the worst duck
ever. That was several years ago.

PETER PAN

Hi Daisy,

Like you I could never eat chicken (except Kentucky FC) due to its
blandness, until I found the Thai Poultry pepper sauce in Asian
market.

This sauce is tangy, slightly sweet and spicy. I use it as a barbeque
sauce along with salt and pepper on chicken thighs on gas grill with
very low heat. When done in about 1 hour, the thigh, especially the
skin, are crispy, sweet, tart, buttery, tasty and full of flavor. You
can also broil it in oven. I suppose you could also add herbs like
rosemary to it. The children all like this simple recipe, probably for
its sweet taste. I've seen my neighbors' children suck the juice and
the sauce out of the meat then spit the rest away!

Thai poultry sauce is translucent orange color with bits of pepper and
seeds, packed in large bottle and can be found in most Asian market.

This sauce is also very tasty for baked white fish and roasted pork,
in short any white meat.

Try it and tell us how you like it.

Daisy > wrote in message >. ..
> I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
> with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
> marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
> tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.
>
> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
> therefore a lot of work.
>
> I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
> these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
> bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
> oyster sauce. Makes a world of difference.
>
> Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
> the same problem with duck - now why is that?)
>
> Cheers and thanx
>

> Daisy

PETER PAN

Daisy > wrote in message >. ..
> I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
> with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
> marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
> tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.
>
> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
> therefore a lot of work.
>
> I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
> these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
> bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
> oyster sauce. Makes a world of difference.
>
> Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
> the same problem with duck - now why is that?)
>
> Cheers and thanx
>

> Daisy

DJS0302

>I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
>with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
>marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
>tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.

SNIP

>I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
>these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
>bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
>oyster sauce. Makes a world of difference.

It sounds like you've ruined your sense of taste by adding all those extra
strongly flavored ingredients. You remind me of a gal I know from work who
says she doesn't like vanilla ice cream because it has no flavor.
Daisy

On 30 Sep 2004 15:43:25 -0700, (PETER PAN)
wrote:

>Hi Daisy,
>
>Like you I could never eat chicken (except Kentucky FC) due to its
>blandness, until I found the Thai Poultry pepper sauce in Asian
>market.
>
>This sauce is tangy, slightly sweet and spicy. I use it as a barbeque
>sauce along with salt and pepper on chicken thighs on gas grill with
>very low heat. When done in about 1 hour, the thigh, especially the
>skin, are crispy, sweet, tart, buttery, tasty and full of flavor. You
>can also broil it in oven. I suppose you could also add herbs like
>rosemary to it. The children all like this simple recipe, probably for
>its sweet taste. I've seen my neighbors' children suck the juice and
>the sauce out of the meat then spit the rest away!
>
>Thai poultry sauce is translucent orange color with bits of pepper and
>seeds, packed in large bottle and can be found in most Asian market.
>
>This sauce is also very tasty for baked white fish and roasted pork,
>in short any white meat.
>
>Try it and tell us how you like it.

I would love to try it, and I went to a very large (and quite
sophisticated) supermarket today and they never even heard of it!
Never mind, eventually these things arrive in our shops. If you would
be good enough, please put the ingredients on a reply to me and I can
probalby work something out. I experiment with cooking all the time.

And grateful thanks for your thoughtful and helpful reply.

Cheers

>Daisy > wrote in message >. ..
>> I have this problem - no really, I do! I never quite know what to do
>> with bland tasteless things like turkey, chicken, egg-plant, zuchini,
>> marrow. I like zesty flavours like liver, kidneys, onions, garlic,
>> tomatoes - and herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and mint.
>>
>> If anyone on this group can tell me how to get some really decent
>> flavour into turkey and chicken, that would be great. I have pretty
>> well given up on egg-plant primarily because to get it to do anything
>> to the taste buds requires a lot of additional flavour additives and
>> therefore a lot of work.
>>
>> I have discovered miso paste, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce - and
>> these Asian ingredients have almost saved my life. Now I can steam
>> bok choy and other green vegetables and drizzle on some sesame oil and
>> oyster sauce. Makes a world of difference.
>>
>> Still can't deal with the abovementioned poultry though. (Don't have
>> the same problem with duck - now why is that?)
>>
>> Cheers and thanx
>>

>> Daisy

Daisy

Daisy

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:07:09 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

(Snips for brevity!)

>Have you tried salt and pepper?
>I don't want to sound snarky, but sometimes that is all you need to bring
>out flavours in foods, and a lot of people just don't use enough of it. I
>find that chicken and pork especially need a lot more salt than I used to
>use.
>
>When I roast small chickens I toss one or two garlic cloves and 1/4 lemon
>into the cavity after giving it a good shot of salt and pepper, rub the
>outside with olive oil and give it a sprinkle of salt and pepper then cook
>it about an hour and a half in a 425 degree oven on a rack in a pan into
>which I add a cup of water. When it's done, tent the chicken, drain fat,
>squash the now cooked garlic into the juices and make gravy sauce with the
>drippings.

I don't really have a big problem with a whole chicken or spatchcock.
I can dolly them up real fine! Stuffing, etc.

>Chicken breasts are very versatile. Marinate them in some variation of an
>oil and vinegar dressing, store bought or home made, and add various herbs
>and spices. They can then be baked, pan fried or grilled.

Now I do have a problem with these - and skinned and boned thighs as
well. I can do curry just fine - and I do a number of variations of
Thai, Korma, and other Indian and Asian curries. But we get a bit
tired of them after a bit.

>Flatten chicken breast and dredge them in seasoned flour, dry in butter
>until cooked on both sides. Remove the breasts from the pan and add some
>decent white wine to deglaze the pan and reduce to a delicious sauce.

I think you might mean chicken snitzel here - yes? I have bought
that, and done the above, but not with your sauce idea. I will try.

>For something even simpler, liberally sprinkle some cajun spice on both
>sides of chicken breasts and allow them to sit for 30 minutes to an hour
>and grill them in a grill pan or on a BBQ.

Not frantic about Cajun spices - sorry about that! I can eat them
but they really don't like me a lot! .... lol

>One of my favourites for chicken is Tandoori. You can buy Tandoori powder
>in any asian market or in some grocery stores. Mix it with lemon juice,
>vegetable oil, salt and yogurt. Remove skin from chicken pieces, pierce
>the chicken to the bone with a sharp knife, rub with lemon juice and then
>toss the pieces into the marinade for 8 hours or overnight. Cook it in a
>very hot oven. It is delicious.

I have done Tandoori many many times - and it's a variation on the
other Indian-type dishes that require chicken. Thank you for the
suggestion. (When I do this, I frequently use a butter chicken
recipe that my Indian houseboy in Fiji cooked for me when I lived
there many years ago.)

Daisy
Dave Smith

Daisy wrote:

> >Flatten chicken breast and dredge them in seasoned flour, dry in butter
> >until cooked on both sides. Remove the breasts from the pan and add some
> >decent white wine to deglaze the pan and reduce to a delicious sauce.

> I think you might mean chicken snitzel here - yes? I have bought
> that, and done the above, but not with your sauce idea. I will try.

It's not a schnitzel. That would involve the dredging followed by egg wash and
a further dredging with seasoned bread crumbs. This is just seasoned flour,
which gives a little texture and also provides a bit of thickening for
subsequent sauce. The breasts are flattened just enough that they will cook
more evenly.

Dave Smith

DJS0302 wrote:

> You remind me of a gal I know from work who
> says she doesn't like vanilla ice cream because it has no flavor.

A lot of commercially made vanilla doesn't have much flavour. There is not much
vanilla and cheap ice cream doesn't have much real cream.

Dave Smith

DJS0302 wrote:

> You remind me of a gal I know from work who
> says she doesn't like vanilla ice cream because it has no flavor.

A lot of commercially made vanilla doesn't have much flavour. There is not much
vanilla and cheap ice cream doesn't have much real cream.

blake murphy

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:54:43 +1200, Daisy >
wrote:

>I have also tried many ways with egg-plant but have given up. It
>really does need a lot of additional flavour things.
>

>Thanx all
>
>Daisy

if deep-frying does not intimidate you, eggplant cut into manageable
pieces and battered and fried can be quite nice.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

wrote:

>I have also tried many ways with egg-plant but have given up. It
>really does need a lot of additional flavour things.
>

>Thanx all
>
>Daisy

if deep-frying does not intimidate you, eggplant cut into manageable
pieces and battered and fried can be quite nice.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

wrote:

>I have also tried many ways with egg-plant but have given up. It
>really does need a lot of additional flavour things.
>

>Thanx all
>
>Daisy

if deep-frying does not intimidate you, eggplant cut into manageable
pieces and battered and fried can be quite nice.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

wrote:

>I have also tried many ways with egg-plant but have given up. It
>really does need a lot of additional flavour things.
>

>Thanx all
>
>Daisy

if deep-frying does not intimidate you, eggplant cut into manageable
pieces and battered and fried can be quite nice.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

wrote:

>I have also tried many ways with egg-plant but have given up. It
>really does need a lot of additional flavour things.
>

>Thanx all
>
>Daisy

if deep-frying does not intimidate you, eggplant cut into manageable
pieces and battered and fried can be quite nice.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

wrote:

>I have also tried many ways with egg-plant but have given up. It
>really does need a lot of additional flavour things.
>

>Thanx all
>
>Daisy

if deep-frying does not intimidate you, eggplant cut into manageable
pieces and battered and fried can be quite nice.

your pal,
blake

Tasteless apples - Doug K Nancy Young General Cooking 14 17-11-2005 12:57 AM
tasteless apples rmg General Cooking 25 28-10-2005 09:33 PM
tasteless acid ? William R. Watt Preserving 16 26-09-2004 02:41 AM
Sleazy PETA, gratuitously provocative and tasteless as ever Jonathan Ball Vegan 422 17-01-2004 03:06 AM
Tilapia--what does one do with this tasteless bargain? Gerald I. evenden General Cooking 15 08-11-2003 03:20 AM