The Joneses

Wayne wrote:

> Scott > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >,
> > Wayne > wrote:
> >
> >> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin
> >> to orange marmalade.

> > One argument I heard is from "Blue Ribbon Preserves" by Linda J.
> > Amendt: "Preparing soft spreads without the addition of extra pectin
> > frequently yields unreliable results. ... Jams, conserves, and butters
> > made without added pectin must be cooked for a long period of time and
> > they actually thicken from the evaporation of juice rather than from
> > the process of jelling." She adds that "better results" require the
> > "complex task" of determining the "actual pectin content of each batch
> > of cooked fruit," thereby extending the cooking time.
> >

> Understood, and I agree that there are many fruits where there might be
> enough variation in the natural pectin to cause inconsistencies.
> Citrus marmalades, however, does not suffer from this problem.

OTH marmelades & other preserves made without pectin usually require lots of
sugar. I've lost my lust for sugar and find I like the no sugar needed
pectins, but with about 1 or 2 cups of sugar to the batch. Not so sickly
sweet yet maintain nice color and taste.
Edrena

Wayne

The Joneses > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Scott > wrote in
>> :

>> > One argument I heard is from "Blue Ribbon Preserves" by Linda J.
>> > Amendt: "Preparing soft spreads without the addition of extra
>> > pectin frequently yields unreliable results. ... Jams, conserves,
>> > and butters made without added pectin must be cooked for a long
>> > period of time and they actually thicken from the evaporation of
>> > juice rather than from the process of jelling." She adds that
>> > "better results" require the "complex task" of determining the
>> > "actual pectin content of each batch of cooked fruit," thereby
>> > extending the cooking time.
>> >

>> Understood, and I agree that there are many fruits where there might
>> be enough variation in the natural pectin to cause inconsistencies.
>> Citrus marmalades, however, does not suffer from this problem.

> OTH marmelades & other preserves made without pectin usually require
> lots of sugar. I've lost my lust for sugar and find I like the no
> sugar needed pectins, but with about 1 or 2 cups of sugar to the
> batch. Not so sickly sweet yet maintain nice color and taste.
> Edrena

In that case, of course, you'd need pectin. Most likely you'd need the
low-sugar pectin specifically formulated for that purpose. Obvioiusly, I
wasn't talking about "specialty" products, traditional formulas and
methods.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

The Joneses > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Scott > wrote in
>> :

>> > One argument I heard is from "Blue Ribbon Preserves" by Linda J.
>> > Amendt: "Preparing soft spreads without the addition of extra
>> > pectin frequently yields unreliable results. ... Jams, conserves,
>> > and butters made without added pectin must be cooked for a long
>> > period of time and they actually thicken from the evaporation of
>> > juice rather than from the process of jelling." She adds that
>> > "better results" require the "complex task" of determining the
>> > "actual pectin content of each batch of cooked fruit," thereby
>> > extending the cooking time.
>> >

>> Understood, and I agree that there are many fruits where there might
>> be enough variation in the natural pectin to cause inconsistencies.
>> Citrus marmalades, however, does not suffer from this problem.

> OTH marmelades & other preserves made without pectin usually require
> lots of sugar. I've lost my lust for sugar and find I like the no
> sugar needed pectins, but with about 1 or 2 cups of sugar to the
> batch. Not so sickly sweet yet maintain nice color and taste.
> Edrena

In that case, of course, you'd need pectin. Most likely you'd need the
low-sugar pectin specifically formulated for that purpose. Obvioiusly, I
wasn't talking about "specialty" products, traditional formulas and
methods.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

The Joneses > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Scott > wrote in
>> :

>> > One argument I heard is from "Blue Ribbon Preserves" by Linda J.
>> > Amendt: "Preparing soft spreads without the addition of extra
>> > pectin frequently yields unreliable results. ... Jams, conserves,
>> > and butters made without added pectin must be cooked for a long
>> > period of time and they actually thicken from the evaporation of
>> > juice rather than from the process of jelling." She adds that
>> > "better results" require the "complex task" of determining the
>> > "actual pectin content of each batch of cooked fruit," thereby
>> > extending the cooking time.
>> >

>> Understood, and I agree that there are many fruits where there might
>> be enough variation in the natural pectin to cause inconsistencies.
>> Citrus marmalades, however, does not suffer from this problem.

> OTH marmelades & other preserves made without pectin usually require
> lots of sugar. I've lost my lust for sugar and find I like the no
> sugar needed pectins, but with about 1 or 2 cups of sugar to the
> batch. Not so sickly sweet yet maintain nice color and taste.
> Edrena

In that case, of course, you'd need pectin. Most likely you'd need the
low-sugar pectin specifically formulated for that purpose. Obvioiusly, I
wasn't talking about "specialty" products, traditional formulas and
methods.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
The Joneses

Wayne wrote:

> The Joneses > wrote in
> :
>
> > Wayne wrote:
> >
> >> Scott > wrote in
> >> :

> >> Understood, and I agree that there are many fruits where there might
> >> be enough variation in the natural pectin to cause inconsistencies.
> >> Citrus marmalades, however, does not suffer from this problem.

> > OTH marmelades & other preserves made without pectin usually require
> > lots of sugar. I've lost my lust for sugar and find I like the no
> > sugar needed pectins, but with about 1 or 2 cups of sugar to the
> > batch. Not so sickly sweet yet maintain nice color and taste.
> > Edrena

> In that case, of course, you'd need pectin. Most likely you'd need the
> low-sugar pectin specifically formulated for that purpose. Obvioiusly, I
> wasn't talking about "specialty" products, traditional formulas and
> methods.
> Wayne in Phoenix

I *knew* that, but had to throw in my two cents' worth. It being the weekend
and all.
Edrena

Wayne

The Joneses > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> The Joneses > wrote in
>> :

>> > OTH marmelades & other preserves made without pectin usually
>> > require lots of sugar. I've lost my lust for sugar and find I like
>> > the no sugar needed pectins, but with about 1 or 2 cups of sugar to
>> > the batch. Not so sickly sweet yet maintain nice color and taste.
>> > Edrena

>> In that case, of course, you'd need pectin. Most likely you'd need
>> the low-sugar pectin specifically formulated for that purpose.
>> Obvioiusly, I wasn't talking about "specialty" products, traditional
>> formulas and methods.
>> Wayne in Phoenix

> I *knew* that, but had to throw in my two cents' worth. It being the
> weekend and all.
> Edrena

Of course you did, but I couldn't resist...it being the weekend and all.
:-)

From a personal POV, we simply don't eat jam and preserve products very
much, although I really do love them. I detest jelly; always did. Since
we don't eat much, I relish the full sugar type when I do indulge.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

The Joneses > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> The Joneses > wrote in
>> :

>> > OTH marmelades & other preserves made without pectin usually
>> > require lots of sugar. I've lost my lust for sugar and find I like
>> > the no sugar needed pectins, but with about 1 or 2 cups of sugar to
>> > the batch. Not so sickly sweet yet maintain nice color and taste.
>> > Edrena

>> In that case, of course, you'd need pectin. Most likely you'd need
>> the low-sugar pectin specifically formulated for that purpose.
>> Obvioiusly, I wasn't talking about "specialty" products, traditional
>> formulas and methods.
>> Wayne in Phoenix

> I *knew* that, but had to throw in my two cents' worth. It being the
> weekend and all.
> Edrena

Of course you did, but I couldn't resist...it being the weekend and all.
:-)

From a personal POV, we simply don't eat jam and preserve products very
much, although I really do love them. I detest jelly; always did. Since
we don't eat much, I relish the full sugar type when I do indulge.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
zxcvbob

Wayne wrote:

> From a personal POV, we simply don't eat jam and preserve products very
> much, although I really do love them. I detest jelly; always did. Since
> we don't eat much, I relish the full sugar type when I do indulge.

Jelly is art. Jam and preserves are food.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Wayne wrote:

> From a personal POV, we simply don't eat jam and preserve products very
> much, although I really do love them. I detest jelly; always did. Since
> we don't eat much, I relish the full sugar type when I do indulge.

Jelly is art. Jam and preserves are food.

Best regards,
Bob
Wayne

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>

>> From a personal POV, we simply don't eat jam and preserve products
>> very much, although I really do love them. I detest jelly; always
>> did. Since we don't eat much, I relish the full sugar type when I do
>> indulge.
>>

> Jelly is art. Jam and preserves are food.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I guess I prefer food over art! :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>

>> From a personal POV, we simply don't eat jam and preserve products
>> very much, although I really do love them. I detest jelly; always
>> did. Since we don't eat much, I relish the full sugar type when I do
>> indulge.
>>

> Jelly is art. Jam and preserves are food.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I guess I prefer food over art! :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
blah

Awesome-sounding recipe (saved and printed) and thanks for the URL for the discussion. I'll check it out for sure

Regards,
Annie

blah

Awesome-sounding recipe (saved and printed) and thanks for the URL for the discussion. I'll check it out for sure

Regards,
Annie

blah

Thanks!
I appreciate the URL

Best,
Annie

qahtan wrote:

> http://www3.sympatico.ca/mwhitcombe/marmalde.html
> This is quite a nice recipe as it slices the peel, a bit of a chore at the
> time but really looks so much nicer in the finished product.
> A friend in UK always adds a hint of molasses to hers but I never did.
> The whiskey is a nice touch but optional.
> I don't think the Seville oranges come out until about late January
> /February, but who knows after the hurricanes etc this year.
> Marmade is a good substitute if you are desperate..

blah

Thanks!
I appreciate the URL

Best,
Annie

qahtan wrote:

> http://www3.sympatico.ca/mwhitcombe/marmalde.html
> This is quite a nice recipe as it slices the peel, a bit of a chore at the
> time but really looks so much nicer in the finished product.
> A friend in UK always adds a hint of molasses to hers but I never did.
> The whiskey is a nice touch but optional.
> I don't think the Seville oranges come out until about late January
> /February, but who knows after the hurricanes etc this year.
> Marmade is a good substitute if you are desperate..

blah

Hi George!

George Shirley wrote:

> blah wrote:

(snipped)

I only took a cursory look in the book...kumquats- haven't seen them
on the shelves in years (not since about 97 or 98 to the best of my
recollection...) I guess that's what you get when you live out in the
middle of nowhere- groceries are so.....boring!!

Mmm Happy memories!

Regards,
Annie

> If, as I have heard, the Bernadin canning book is like the Ball Blue
> Book you will find lots of good marmalade recipes in it. Plus, reading
> Bob's reply to you a bit ago he has the right idea and the right way.
> I've never used pectin in a marmalade and I make a couple of cases of
> the stuff each year, usually with home grown kumquats and lemons and
> occasionally with Rio Red grapefruit I buy cheaply. Go for it.
>
> George

blah

*Thank You* for the recipe...printing as I type

Best,
Annie

UGAK9 wrote:

> I posted this one last year, but maybe folks won't mind seeing it one more
> time. It's my favorite. Makes a good glaze for a pork roast, too.
>
> Rosemary Orange Marmalade
> Source: The Herbal Pantry
>
> 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
> 2 cups boiling water
> 4 or 5 oranges
> 3 cups granulated sugar
> 3 ounces liquid pectin
>
> Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer's directions.
>
> Steep 1 sprig of rosemary in the boiling water for 30 minutes; discard the
> herb sprig. Peel the zest from the oranges, removing as little pith as
> possible; julienne thinly and place in a saucepan with water to cover.
> Simmer, covered, about 1/2 hour or until tender. Drain and reserve.
>
> With a sharp knife remove the orange sections from the membranes. Seed and
> dice coarsely, then transfer to a non-aluminum saucepan with the rosemary
> infusion and the sugar and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring frequently, for
> 35 minutes.
>
> Add the pectin and boil for exactly 1 minute. Place a sprig of rosemary in
> each of 4 half-pint jars and pour the hot marmalade over them. Seal and
> process in BWB 10 minutes.

blah

Hi!
How have you been keeping? I guess you're in the kitchen pretty much
full time (like me and lots of others) now that the harvest is coming
along really nicely...<g>

Thanks for the recipe!
Regards,
Annie (printing next)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> [...]
> reserving any juice; set aside.
> PLACE peels, water and baking soda in saucepot. Bring to boil over high
> heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
> Add reserved fruit and juice; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer.
> Measure exactly 3 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-quart saucepot.
> STIR sugar into prepared fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce
> foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that
> doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
> STIR in pectin quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1
> minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with
> metal spoon.
> LADLE quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.
> Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands
> tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner.
> Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches; add boiling water if needed.
> Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 minutes. Remove jars and
> place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check
> seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid
> is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)
>
> KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS
> How To
> Measure Precisely: To get exact level cup measures of sugar, spoon sugar
> into dry metal or plastic measuring cups, then level by scraping excess
> sugar from top of cup with a straight-edged knife.
> CERTO<< Remake Directions for Cooked Jam or Jelly
> 1. Prepare Jars2. Boil a jar on rack in large pot filled with water 10
> minutes. Place a flat lid in saucepan with water. Bring to boil. Remove
> from heat. Let jar and lid stand in hot water until ready to fill with
> Trial Batch. Drain well before filling.Repeat this procedure with jars
> needed for remainder of batch.3. Prepare Trial Batch4. 1 cup your jam or
> jelly 3 Tbsp. sugar1-1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice1-1/2 tsp. CERTO Fruit
> Pectin Measure jam or jelly into small (1-quart) saucepan. Bring mixture
> to full rolling boil ( a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when s5.
> Prepare remainder of batch.6. Do not try to remake more than 8 cups of
> jam or jelly at one time. If Trial Batch sets satisfactorily, follow
> recipe above, using the listed measures of sugar, lemon juice and CERTO
> Fruit Pectin for EACH 1 cup of jam or jelly. Measure7. For convenience
> in measuring larger amounts of sugar, lemon juice and CERTO:3 teaspoons
> = 1 tablespoon8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup16 tablespoons = 1 cupREMEMBER: If
> your jam or jelly still doesn't set, you can always use it as a g
> (glaze?)
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
> "Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
> -Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

blah

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> [...]
> to full rolling boil ( a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when s5.
> Prepare remainder of batch.6. Do not try to remake more than 8 cups of
> jam or jelly at one time. If Trial Batch sets satisfactorily, follow
> recipe above, using the listed measures of sugar, lemon juice and CERTO
> Fruit Pectin for EACH 1 cup of jam or jelly. Measure7. For convenience
> in measuring larger amounts of sugar, lemon juice and CERTO:3 teaspoons
> = 1 tablespoon8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup16 tablespoons = 1 cupREMEMBER: If
> your jam or jelly still doesn't set, you can always use it as a g
> (glaze?)
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
> "Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
> -Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

blah

Wayne- maybe you wouldn't mind sharing some of your recipes with me? I
haven't a good marmalade recipe (without packaged pectin) and wouldn't
know what a really nice one would be, and I don't want to waste fruit
on a s0-so tasting experiment.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Annie

Wayne wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >, Wayne
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin
> >> to orange marmalade.

> > Crabapples have enough pectin to make jelly without added pectin, too.
> > The stuff I make without additional has never been as nice as the
> > stuff I make with additional pectin. You pays your money and you
> > takes your choice.

> Absolutely. There are only two fruits to which I never add
> pectin...orange and other citrus marmalades, and ground cherry
> preserves.
>
> Of the countless batches of marmalade I've made over the years, I have
> never added pectin and have never had a failure. I'm always amazed at
> this, but the consistency is uncanny. <no puns intended>
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> unmunge as w-e-b
>
> *If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
> *A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

blah

Hi Sarah! Thanks for the recipe! (My printer is getting a good workout
this morning! (LOL)

Regards,
Annie

sarah wrote:

> blah > wrote:

(snipped)

> I use MWhitcombe's Dundee Marmalade recipe, found online with
> illustrations a couple of years ago.[1] It's simple, and all the dark
> marmalade fans in the family love it:
>
> Ingredients
> 6 seville oranges, washed clean.
> 7 1/2 cups sugar
> 25-75ml blackstrap molasses [aka treacle in the UK. This makes a 'mild'
> dark marmalade. I skip the treacle and instead use a dark brown sugar
> for 3-4 cups of the 7 1/2.]
>
> 50 ml liqueur if desired [The author recommends whisky, which is good.
> Many people use Cointreau; I prefer Drambuie as I think Cointreau makes
> the marmalade taste as though it's fermented a bit. I don't add it to
> the bulk mixture, just stir about 1/2 tsp into the jar before I put the
> lid on.]
> ****
> Bring the whole oranges almost to a boil in 1 litre (4 1/4 cups) water,
> then simmer for an hour or until very soft. You should be able to rub
> the peel to nothing between your fingers; if it's not soft, it will be
> tough in the finished marmalade.
>
> Remove the oranges (save the cooking liquid!), cut in half, spoon out
> pulp and pits to another pan. Add 1/2 litre ( c. 2 cups) water, simmer
> 10 minutes, drain, and save liquid.
>
> While that is simmering, thickly slice the peel and add to the original
> cooking liquid with the sugar, the liquid from the pulp and seeds and
> the molasses if you're using it. Bring to the boil slowly, stirring to
> dissolve the sugar. Simmer 20-60 minutes, or until it jells. Cool for 20
> minutes, pour into sterilised jars and seal immediately.
>
> regards
> sarah
>
> [1] www3.sympatico.ca/mwhitcombe/marmalde.html
>
> --
> Think of it as evolution in action.

blah

Hi Ellen

Thank you for the tip!

Best,
Annie

ellen wickberg wrote:

> in article , blah at wrote on
> 17/9/04 1:20 PM:
>
> > I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
> > out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
> > their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
> > the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
> > have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
> > have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
> > wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
> > just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
> >
> > Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
> > marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
> > lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
> > few days ago...
> >
> > I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
> > with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
> >
> > I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
> > marmalade too!
> >
> > Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
> > Annie
> >

> Use the one in Putting food by, it is for oranges you can substitute an
> equal weight of other citrus It is one of the world's simplest, just cook
> the whole fruit, cut up into thin slices, reboil to set. No extra pectin
> needed ( citrus fruit white stuff is what many commercial pectins are made
> from).
> Ellen

blah

Hi Ellen

Thank you for the tip!

Best,
Annie

ellen wickberg wrote:

> in article , blah at wrote on
> 17/9/04 1:20 PM:
>
> > I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
> > out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
> > their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
> > the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
> > have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
> > have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
> > wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
> > just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
> >
> > Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
> > marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
> > lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
> > few days ago...
> >
> > I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
> > with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
> >
> > I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
> > marmalade too!
> >
> > Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
> > Annie
> >

> Use the one in Putting food by, it is for oranges you can substitute an
> equal weight of other citrus It is one of the world's simplest, just cook
> the whole fruit, cut up into thin slices, reboil to set. No extra pectin
> needed ( citrus fruit white stuff is what many commercial pectins are made
> from).
> Ellen

David J. Braunegg

Just download it from their website:

http://kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=re...ecipe_id=50779

Dave

"blah" > wrote in message ...
> I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
> out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
> their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
> the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
> have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
> have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
> wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
> just sweet citrus spreadable gold!

sarah

blah > wrote:

> Hi Sarah! Thanks for the recipe! (My printer is getting a good workout
> this morning! (LOL)

Good luck!

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
sarah

blah > wrote:

> Hi Sarah! Thanks for the recipe! (My printer is getting a good workout
> this morning! (LOL)

Good luck!

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
sarah

blah > wrote:

> Hi Sarah! Thanks for the recipe! (My printer is getting a good workout
> this morning! (LOL)

Good luck!

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.

Wayne

blah > wrote in :

> Wayne- maybe you wouldn't mind sharing some of your recipes with me? I
> haven't a good marmalade recipe (without packaged pectin) and wouldn't
> know what a really nice one would be, and I don't want to waste fruit
> on a s0-so tasting experiment.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Annie
>
> Wayne wrote:
>>
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > In article >, Wayne

>> > Crabapples have enough pectin to make jelly without added pectin,
>> > too.
>> > The stuff I make without additional has never been as nice as the
>> > stuff I make with additional pectin. You pays your money and you
>> > takes your choice.

>> Absolutely. There are only two fruits to which I never add
>> pectin...orange and other citrus marmalades, and ground cherry
>> preserves.
>>
>> Of the countless batches of marmalade I've made over the years, I
>> have never added pectin and have never had a failure. I'm always
>> amazed at this, but the consistency is uncanny. <no puns intended>

Annie, there are two recipes that I almost always use and, followed to
the letter, will yield excellent results. They are both from Delia
Smith.

Traditional Seville Orange Marmalade
------------------------------------

Makes six 1 lb (350 ml capacity) jars 2 lb (900 g) Seville oranges
1 lemon
4 lb (1.8 kg) granulated sugar (to speed the dissolving, this can be
warmed in the oven)

You will also need a preserving pan or a large, heavy-based saucepan; a
9 inch (23 cm) square of muslin (or gauze); some string; a funnel; and
six 1 lb (350 ml capacity) jars, sterilised.

Begin by measuring 4 pints (2.25 litres) water into a preserving pan,
then cut the lemon and oranges in half and squeeze the juice out of
them. Add the juice to the water and place the pips and any bits of
pith that cling to the squeezer on the square of muslin (laid over a
dish or cereal bowl first). Now cut the orange peel into quarters
with a sharp knife, and then cut each quarter into thinnish shreds.
As you cut, add the shreds to the water and any pips or spare pith
you come across should go on to the muslin. The pith contains a lot
of pectin so don't discard any and don't worry about any pith and
skin that clings to the shreds – it all gets dissolved in the
boiling.

Now tie the pips and pith up loosely in the muslin to form a little bag,
and tie this on to the handle of the pan so that the bag is suspended in
the water. Then bring the liquid up to simmering point and simmer
gently, uncovered, for 2 hours or thereabouts until the peel is
completely soft (test a piece carefully by pressing it between your
finger and thumb). Meanwhile, chill the saucers in the freezer
compartment of the fridge.

Next, remove the bag of pips and leave it to cool on a saucer. Then pour
the sugar into the pan and stir it now and then over a low heat, until
all the crystals have dissolved (check this carefully, it's important).
Now increase the heat to very high and squeeze the bag of pips over the
pan to extract all of the sticky, jelly-like substance that contains the
pectin. As you squeeze you'll see it ooze out. You can do this by
placing the bag between two saucers or using your hands. Then stir or
whisk it into the rest.

As soon as the mixture reaches a really fast boil, start timing. Then
after 15 minutes spoon a little of the marmalade on to one of the cold
saucers from the fridge, and let it cool back in the fridge. You can
tell – when it has cooled – if you have a 'set' by pushing the mixture
with your little finger: if it has a really crinkly skin, it is set. If
not, continue to boil the marmalade and give it the same test at about
10-minute intervals until it does set.

After that remove the pan from the heat (if there's a lot of scum, most
of it can be dispersed by stirring in half a teaspoon of butter, and the
rest can be spooned off). Leave the marmalade to settle for 20 minutes.

In the meantime, the jars should be washed, dried and heated in a
moderate oven for 5 minutes. Pour the marmalade, with the aid of a
funnel or a ladle, into the jars, cover with waxed discs and seal while
still hot. Label when cold and store in a dry, cool, dark place.

Dark Chunky Marmalade
---------------------

Makes seven 0.5 litre jars
3 lb (1.35 kg) Seville oranges
2 lemons
5 pints (3 litres) water
6 lb (2.7 kg) granulated sugar

You will also need a preserving pan, a 15 inch (38 cm) piece of muslin
or double gauze, a nylon sieve, some foil, seven 0.5 litre jars, and
some small flat plates to test for setting point.

This recipe is extremely easy as long as you remember that it happens in
two stages. So ideally begin the recipe one afternoon or evening and
finish it the following morning.

So for stage 1: lightly scrub the fruit then place it in the
preserving pan, add the water and bring it all up to a gentle simmer.
Now take a large piece of double foil, place it over the top of the
pan and fold the edges firmly over the rim. What needs to happen is
for the fruit to very gently poach without any of the liquid
evaporating. This initial simmering will take 3 hours.

After this, remove the preserving pan from the heat and allow everything
to get cool enough to handle. Then place a large colander over a bowl
and, using a draining spoon, lift the fruit out of the liquid and into
this. Now cut the oranges in half and scoop out all the inside flesh and
pips as well, straight into a medium-sized saucepan. Next do the same
with the lemons but discard the peel. Now add 1 pint (570 ml) of the
poaching liquid to the fruit pulp, then place the saucepan over a medium
heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Have ready a large nylon sieve, lined
with gauze, and place it over a bowl, then strain the contents of the
saucepan through the sieve. Leave it all like this while it cools and
drips through.

While you are waiting for it to cool is a good time to deal with the
orange peel. Cut the halves of peel into quarters then cut them into
chunky strips – the thickness is up to you – according to how you like
your marmalade. Add these back into the preserving pan.

When the pulp is cool what you need to do next is gather up the corners
of the muslin and twist it into a ball, then, using your hands, squeeze
all of the pectin-rich juices into the preserving pan. Don't be
faint-hearted here – squeeze like mad so that every last bit of
stickiness is extracted and you're left only with the pithy membranes of
the fruit, which you can now discard. When you have added the strained
pectin, just leave all of this overnight, loosely covered with a clean
teacloth.

Stage 2: the following day, empty the sugar into a large roasting tin
lined with foil then place it in a warm oven, gas mark 3, 325°F (170°C),
and allow it to warm gently for 10 minutes. Then place the preserving
pan and its contents over a gentle heat and as soon as it starts to warm
through tip the warmed sugar into the pan to join the rest.

Now, using a large wooden spoon, stir the marmalade, keeping the heat
gentle, until all the sugar crystals have fully dissolved. What you must
not do is let the marmalade boil until all the sugar is completely
dissolved. Keep looking at the back of the wooden spoon as you stir and
when you are sure there are no more crystals left turn up the heat and
let the marmalade bubble away gently – it can take 3-4 hours for it to
darken and develop its lovely rich flavour.

When the marmalade has been cooking for 2½ hours place some small flat
plates in the fridge. Then to test for a set, after 3 hours draw the pan
from the heat and spoon a teaspoonful of marmalade on to a chilled
plate. Allow it to cool for a minute back in the fridge, then push it
with your little finger – if a crinkly skin forms, it has reached
setting point. If not, continue cooking and do more testing at 15-minute
intervals. When it has set, leave the marmalade to cool for 30 minutes
before ladling through a funnel into jars that have been washed
thoroughly in warm soapy water, rinsed and dried, then warmed in a
medium oven. Seal the jars with waxed discs while they are still hot,
then label the next day when cold.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

blah > wrote in :

> [...]

let the marmalade bubble away gently – it can take 3-4 hours for it to
darken and develop its lovely rich flavour.

When the marmalade has been cooking for 2½ hours place some small flat
plates in the fridge. Then to test for a set, after 3 hours draw the pan
from the heat and spoon a teaspoonful of marmalade on to a chilled
plate. Allow it to cool for a minute back in the fridge, then push it
with your little finger – if a crinkly skin forms, it has reached
setting point. If not, continue cooking and do more testing at 15-minute
intervals. When it has set, leave the marmalade to cool for 30 minutes
before ladling through a funnel into jars that have been washed
thoroughly in warm soapy water, rinsed and dried, then warmed in a
medium oven. Seal the jars with waxed discs while they are still hot,

Wayne

blah > wrote in :

> [...]

let the marmalade bubble away gently – it can take 3-4 hours for it to
darken and develop its lovely rich flavour.

When the marmalade has been cooking for 2½ hours place some small flat
plates in the fridge. Then to test for a set, after 3 hours draw the pan
from the heat and spoon a teaspoonful of marmalade on to a chilled
plate. Allow it to cool for a minute back in the fridge, then push it
with your little finger – if a crinkly skin forms, it has reached
setting point. If not, continue cooking and do more testing at 15-minute
intervals. When it has set, leave the marmalade to cool for 30 minutes
before ladling through a funnel into jars that have been washed
thoroughly in warm soapy water, rinsed and dried, then warmed in a
medium oven. Seal the jars with waxed discs while they are still hot,

blah

<snipped:

Wayne- a really big Thank You for the recipes

Best,
Annie

> [...]
> plates in the fridge. Then to test for a set, after 3 hours draw the pan
> from the heat and spoon a teaspoonful of marmalade on to a chilled
> plate. Allow it to cool for a minute back in the fridge, then push it
> with your little finger – if a crinkly skin forms, it has reached
> setting point. If not, continue cooking and do more testing at 15-minute
> intervals. When it has set, leave the marmalade to cool for 30 minutes
> before ladling through a funnel into jars that have been washed
> thoroughly in warm soapy water, rinsed and dried, then warmed in a
> medium oven. Seal the jars with waxed discs while they are still hot,
> then label the next day when cold.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> unmunge as w-e-b
>
> *If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

blah

> [...]

> plates in the fridge. Then to test for a set, after 3 hours draw the pan
> from the heat and spoon a teaspoonful of marmalade on to a chilled
> plate. Allow it to cool for a minute back in the fridge, then push it
> with your little finger – if a crinkly skin forms, it has reached
> setting point. If not, continue cooking and do more testing at 15-minute
> intervals. When it has set, leave the marmalade to cool for 30 minutes
> before ladling through a funnel into jars that have been washed
> thoroughly in warm soapy water, rinsed and dried, then warmed in a
> medium oven. Seal the jars with waxed discs while they are still hot,
> then label the next day when cold.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> unmunge as w-e-b
>
> *If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

blah

> [...]

> plates in the fridge. Then to test for a set, after 3 hours draw the pan
> from the heat and spoon a teaspoonful of marmalade on to a chilled
> plate. Allow it to cool for a minute back in the fridge, then push it
> with your little finger – if a crinkly skin forms, it has reached
> setting point. If not, continue cooking and do more testing at 15-minute
> intervals. When it has set, leave the marmalade to cool for 30 minutes
> before ladling through a funnel into jars that have been washed
> thoroughly in warm soapy water, rinsed and dried, then warmed in a
> medium oven. Seal the jars with waxed discs while they are still hot,
> then label the next day when cold.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> unmunge as w-e-b
>
> *If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

blah

I guess there's always one more way to skin a cat...or get a recipe!
<g> Thanks for the URL!

Annie

"David J. Braunegg" wrote:

> Just download it from their website:
>
> http://kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=re...ecipe_id=50779
>
> Dave
>
> "blah" > wrote in message ...
> > I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
> > out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
> > their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
> > the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
> > have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
> > have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
> > wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
> > just sweet citrus spreadable gold!

blah

"David J. Braunegg" wrote:

> Just download it from their website:
>
> http://kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=re...ecipe_id=50779
>
> Dave
>
> "blah" > wrote in message ...
> > I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
> > out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
> > their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
> > the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
> > have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
> > have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
> > wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
> > just sweet citrus spreadable gold!

Marmalade James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 37 01-02-2010 01:34 AM
Marmalade Lamont Cranston Preserving 0 06-01-2010 04:56 AM
Invitation to new Food, Recipes, Information, historic recipes,Vintage Recipes, etc. [email protected][_2_] General Cooking 0 09-12-2008 04:04 PM
Lemon marmalade - why have I got liquid on top of set marmalade? aspley General Cooking 3 26-03-2006 02:24 PM
About marmalade Shadow Preserving 0 22-05-2005 10:27 PM