blah

Default Looking for some marmalade recipes, please

I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
just sweet citrus spreadable gold!

Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
few days ago...

I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.

I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
marmalade too!

Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
Annie

zxcvbob

blah wrote:

> I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
> out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
> their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
> the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish
> we have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
> have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
> wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
> just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>
> Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
> marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
> lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
> few days ago...
>
> I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great,
> either with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>
> I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
> marmalade too!
>
> Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend! Annie

The joke is on Certo, because you don't need to add pectin to make
marmalade. I got ahold of some seville oranges last year and this is
what I did with them:

> 3 sour [Seville] oranges
> 1 lemon
> 3.5 cups water
> 4.5 cups sugar

> I simmered the quartered fruit for about an hour, stirred it up good
> to break up the pulp, and simmered it another half hour. Let it cool
> a bit and removed the fruit. When that was cooled enough to handle,
> I scooped out the pulp and added it back to the water. I mashed a
> few of the seeds. Boiled it, strained it, and only had a generous 2
> cups of juice when it shoulda been 3. So I added about 1.5 cups
> water to the pulp and boiled it again for 5 minutes and strained
> that. Now I had almost 3.5 cups of juice. I sliced the orange peel
> and half the lemon peel into slivers. Added the sugar to the juice
> and slowly brought it to a boil. I added the peel and boiled it hard
> for about 20 minutes. Then turned it off and went outside to do some
> errands. I was hoping the peel would absorb sugar so it wouldn't
> float. When I got back to it a few hours later, the stuff was
> already getting thick, and the spoon I had stirred it with had firm
> jelly in it. I brought it back to a hard boil for a few minutes and
> ladled into half-pint jars. It made exactly 5 jars. :-( (I wanted
> an extra half a jar or so to eat tomorrow.) I BWB'ed it for 10
> minutes, and set the jars on a towel to cool. It's very bitter, and a
> nice light orange color. I didn't have to add any red food coloring.

I entered it in the Olmsted county fair this year and it was
disqualified because it was bitter. (it's *supposed* to be bitter, it
has seville oranges in it!) It think it would have tasted better
without the bitterness; I really like George's kumquat marmalade.
Next time I'll probably use 3 sweet oranges and 2 lemons.

You might want to check out this discussion thread from last year:

<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=4epetc%24a5p%40canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca&r num=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D4epetc%2524a5p%2540canopus.cc.umanitoba .ca>
or: http://tinyurl.com/6bdj3

Best regards,
Bob
qahtan

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mwhitcombe/marmalde.html
This is quite a nice recipe as it slices the peel, a bit of a chore at the
time but really looks so much nicer in the finished product.
A friend in UK always adds a hint of molasses to hers but I never did.
The whiskey is a nice touch but optional.
I don't think the Seville oranges come out until about late January
/February, but who knows after the hurricanes etc this year.
Marmade is a good substitute if you are desperate..

George Shirley

blah wrote:
> I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
> out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
> their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
> the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
> have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
> have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
> wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
> just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>
> Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
> marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
> lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
> few days ago...
>
> I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
> with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>
> I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
> marmalade too!
>
> Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
> Annie

If, as I have heard, the Bernadin canning book is like the Ball Blue
Book you will find lots of good marmalade recipes in it. Plus, reading
Bob's reply to you a bit ago he has the right idea and the right way.
I've never used pectin in a marmalade and I make a couple of cases of
the stuff each year, usually with home grown kumquats and lemons and
occasionally with Rio Red grapefruit I buy cheaply. Go for it.

George

George Shirley

blah wrote:
> I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
> out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
> their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
> the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
> have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
> have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
> wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
> just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>
> Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
> marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
> lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
> few days ago...
>
> I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
> with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>
> I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
> marmalade too!
>
> Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
> Annie

If, as I have heard, the Bernadin canning book is like the Ball Blue
Book you will find lots of good marmalade recipes in it. Plus, reading
Bob's reply to you a bit ago he has the right idea and the right way.
I've never used pectin in a marmalade and I make a couple of cases of
the stuff each year, usually with home grown kumquats and lemons and
occasionally with Rio Red grapefruit I buy cheaply. Go for it.

George

UGAK9

"blah" > wrote in message ...
>I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
> out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
> their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
> the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
> have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
> have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
> wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
> just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>
> Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
> marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
> lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
> few days ago...
>
> I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
> with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>
> I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
> marmalade too!
>
> Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
> Annie

I posted this one last year, but maybe folks won't mind seeing it one more
time. It's my favorite. Makes a good glaze for a pork roast, too.

Rosemary Orange Marmalade
Source: The Herbal Pantry

5 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 cups boiling water
4 or 5 oranges
3 cups granulated sugar
3 ounces liquid pectin

Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer's directions.

Steep 1 sprig of rosemary in the boiling water for 30 minutes; discard the
herb sprig. Peel the zest from the oranges, removing as little pith as
possible; julienne thinly and place in a saucepan with water to cover.
Simmer, covered, about 1/2 hour or until tender. Drain and reserve.

With a sharp knife remove the orange sections from the membranes. Seed and
dice coarsely, then transfer to a non-aluminum saucepan with the rosemary
infusion and the sugar and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring frequently, for
35 minutes.

Add the pectin and boil for exactly 1 minute. Place a sprig of rosemary in
each of 4 half-pint jars and pour the hot marmalade over them. Seal and
process in BWB 10 minutes.

UGAK9

"blah" > wrote in message ...
>I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
> out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
> their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
> the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
> have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
> have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
> wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
> just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>
> Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
> marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
> lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
> few days ago...
>
> I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
> with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>
> I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
> marmalade too!
>
> Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
> Annie

I posted this one last year, but maybe folks won't mind seeing it one more
time. It's my favorite. Makes a good glaze for a pork roast, too.

Rosemary Orange Marmalade
Source: The Herbal Pantry

5 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 cups boiling water
4 or 5 oranges
3 cups granulated sugar
3 ounces liquid pectin

Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer's directions.

Steep 1 sprig of rosemary in the boiling water for 30 minutes; discard the
herb sprig. Peel the zest from the oranges, removing as little pith as
possible; julienne thinly and place in a saucepan with water to cover.
Simmer, covered, about 1/2 hour or until tender. Drain and reserve.

With a sharp knife remove the orange sections from the membranes. Seed and
dice coarsely, then transfer to a non-aluminum saucepan with the rosemary
infusion and the sugar and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring frequently, for
35 minutes.

Add the pectin and boil for exactly 1 minute. Place a sprig of rosemary in
each of 4 half-pint jars and pour the hot marmalade over them. Seal and
process in BWB 10 minutes.

George Shirley

UGAK9 wrote:
> "blah" > wrote in message ...
>
>>I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
>>out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
>>their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
>>the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
>>have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
>>have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
>>wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
>>just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>>
>>Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
>>marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
>>lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
>>few days ago...
>>
>>I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
>>with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>>
>>I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
>>marmalade too!
>>
>>Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
>>Annie
>>

> I posted this one last year, but maybe folks won't mind seeing it one more
> time. It's my favorite. Makes a good glaze for a pork roast, too.
>
> Rosemary Orange Marmalade
> Source: The Herbal Pantry
>
> 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
> 2 cups boiling water
> 4 or 5 oranges
> 3 cups granulated sugar
> 3 ounces liquid pectin
>
> Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer's directions.
>
> Steep 1 sprig of rosemary in the boiling water for 30 minutes; discard the
> herb sprig. Peel the zest from the oranges, removing as little pith as
> possible; julienne thinly and place in a saucepan with water to cover.
> Simmer, covered, about 1/2 hour or until tender. Drain and reserve.
>
> With a sharp knife remove the orange sections from the membranes. Seed and
> dice coarsely, then transfer to a non-aluminum saucepan with the rosemary
> infusion and the sugar and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring frequently, for
> 35 minutes.
>
> Add the pectin and boil for exactly 1 minute. Place a sprig of rosemary in
> each of 4 half-pint jars and pour the hot marmalade over them. Seal and
> process in BWB 10 minutes.

Excellent recipe, I made it early this year but with kumquats instead of
oranges. Waited a month and it was very good when the first jar was
opening. A really good recipe and well worth making and keeping.

George

George Shirley

UGAK9 wrote:
> "blah" > wrote in message ...
>
>>I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
>>out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
>>their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
>>the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
>>have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
>>have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
>>wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
>>just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>>
>>Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
>>marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
>>lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
>>few days ago...
>>
>>I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
>>with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>>
>>I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
>>marmalade too!
>>
>>Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
>>Annie
>>

> I posted this one last year, but maybe folks won't mind seeing it one more
> time. It's my favorite. Makes a good glaze for a pork roast, too.
>
> Rosemary Orange Marmalade
> Source: The Herbal Pantry
>
> 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
> 2 cups boiling water
> 4 or 5 oranges
> 3 cups granulated sugar
> 3 ounces liquid pectin
>
> Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer's directions.
>
> Steep 1 sprig of rosemary in the boiling water for 30 minutes; discard the
> herb sprig. Peel the zest from the oranges, removing as little pith as
> possible; julienne thinly and place in a saucepan with water to cover.
> Simmer, covered, about 1/2 hour or until tender. Drain and reserve.
>
> With a sharp knife remove the orange sections from the membranes. Seed and
> dice coarsely, then transfer to a non-aluminum saucepan with the rosemary
> infusion and the sugar and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring frequently, for
> 35 minutes.
>
> Add the pectin and boil for exactly 1 minute. Place a sprig of rosemary in
> each of 4 half-pint jars and pour the hot marmalade over them. Seal and
> process in BWB 10 minutes.

Excellent recipe, I made it early this year but with kumquats instead of
oranges. Waited a month and it was very good when the first jar was
opening. A really good recipe and well worth making and keeping.

George

George Shirley

UGAK9 wrote:
> "blah" > wrote in message ...
>
>>I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
>>out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
>>their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
>>the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
>>have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
>>have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
>>wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
>>just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>>
>>Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
>>marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
>>lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
>>few days ago...
>>
>>I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
>>with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>>
>>I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
>>marmalade too!
>>
>>Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
>>Annie
>>

> I posted this one last year, but maybe folks won't mind seeing it one more
> time. It's my favorite. Makes a good glaze for a pork roast, too.
>
> Rosemary Orange Marmalade
> Source: The Herbal Pantry
>
> 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
> 2 cups boiling water
> 4 or 5 oranges
> 3 cups granulated sugar
> 3 ounces liquid pectin
>
> Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer's directions.
>
> Steep 1 sprig of rosemary in the boiling water for 30 minutes; discard the
> herb sprig. Peel the zest from the oranges, removing as little pith as
> possible; julienne thinly and place in a saucepan with water to cover.
> Simmer, covered, about 1/2 hour or until tender. Drain and reserve.
>
> With a sharp knife remove the orange sections from the membranes. Seed and
> dice coarsely, then transfer to a non-aluminum saucepan with the rosemary
> infusion and the sugar and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring frequently, for
> 35 minutes.
>
> Add the pectin and boil for exactly 1 minute. Place a sprig of rosemary in
> each of 4 half-pint jars and pour the hot marmalade over them. Seal and
> process in BWB 10 minutes.

Excellent recipe, I made it early this year but with kumquats instead of
oranges. Waited a month and it was very good when the first jar was
opening. A really good recipe and well worth making and keeping.

George

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, wrote:

> I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
> out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
> their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
> the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
> have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
> have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
> wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
> just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>
> Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
> marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
> lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
> few days ago...
>
> I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
> with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>
> I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
> marmalade too!
>
> Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
> Annie

The bums. From their website:

3 cups prepared fruit (3 medium oranges and 2 medium lemons)
1-1/2 cups water
1/8 tsp. baking soda
5 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl (See tip below.)
1/2 tsp. butter or margarine (optional)
1 pouch CERTO Fruit Pectin
BRING boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. Wash jars
and screw bands in hot, soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling
water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water
until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
REMOVE colored part of peel from oranges and lemons using vegetable
peeler. Cut into thin slivers, finely chop or grind and set aside. Peel
and discard remaining white part of peel from fruit. Chop fruit pulp;
reserving any juice; set aside.
PLACE peels, water and baking soda in saucepot. Bring to boil over high
heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add reserved fruit and juice; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer.
Measure exactly 3 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-quart saucepot.
STIR sugar into prepared fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce
foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that
doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
STIR in pectin quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1
minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with
metal spoon.
LADLE quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.
Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands
tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner.
Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches; add boiling water if needed.
Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 minutes. Remove jars and
place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check
seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid
is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS
How To
Measure Precisely: To get exact level cup measures of sugar, spoon sugar
into dry metal or plastic measuring cups, then level by scraping excess
sugar from top of cup with a straight-edged knife.
CERTO<< Remake Directions for Cooked Jam or Jelly
1. Prepare Jars2. Boil a jar on rack in large pot filled with water 10
minutes. Place a flat lid in saucepan with water. Bring to boil. Remove
from heat. Let jar and lid stand in hot water until ready to fill with
Trial Batch. Drain well before filling.Repeat this procedure with jars
needed for remainder of batch.3. Prepare Trial Batch4. 1 cup your jam or
jelly 3 Tbsp. sugar1-1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice1-1/2 tsp. CERTO Fruit
Pectin Measure jam or jelly into small (1-quart) saucepan. Bring mixture
to full rolling boil ( a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when s5.
Prepare remainder of batch.6. Do not try to remake more than 8 cups of
jam or jelly at one time. If Trial Batch sets satisfactorily, follow
recipe above, using the listed measures of sugar, lemon juice and CERTO
Fruit Pectin for EACH 1 cup of jam or jelly. Measure7. For convenience
in measuring larger amounts of sugar, lemon juice and CERTO:3 teaspoons
= 1 tablespoon8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup16 tablespoons = 1 cupREMEMBER: If
your jam or jelly still doesn't set, you can always use it as a g
(glaze?)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, wrote:

> [...]

to full rolling boil ( a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when s5.
Prepare remainder of batch.6. Do not try to remake more than 8 cups of
jam or jelly at one time. If Trial Batch sets satisfactorily, follow
recipe above, using the listed measures of sugar, lemon juice and CERTO
Fruit Pectin for EACH 1 cup of jam or jelly. Measure7. For convenience
in measuring larger amounts of sugar, lemon juice and CERTO:3 teaspoons
= 1 tablespoon8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup16 tablespoons = 1 cupREMEMBER: If
your jam or jelly still doesn't set, you can always use it as a g
(glaze?)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

UGAK9

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
t...
> UGAK9 wrote:
>> "blah" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
>>>out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
>>>their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
>>>the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
>>>have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
>>>have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
>>>wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
>>>just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>>>
>>>Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
>>>marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
>>>lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
>>>few days ago...
>>>
>>>I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
>>>with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>>>
>>>I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
>>>marmalade too!
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
>>>Annie
>>>

>> I posted this one last year, but maybe folks won't mind seeing it one
>> more time. It's my favorite. Makes a good glaze for a pork roast, too.
>>
>> Rosemary Orange Marmalade
>> Source: The Herbal Pantry
>>
>> 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
>> 2 cups boiling water
>> 4 or 5 oranges
>> 3 cups granulated sugar
>> 3 ounces liquid pectin
>>
>> Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer's directions.
>>
>> Steep 1 sprig of rosemary in the boiling water for 30 minutes; discard
>> the herb sprig. Peel the zest from the oranges, removing as little pith
>> as possible; julienne thinly and place in a saucepan with water to cover.
>> Simmer, covered, about 1/2 hour or until tender. Drain and reserve.
>>
>> With a sharp knife remove the orange sections from the membranes. Seed
>> and dice coarsely, then transfer to a non-aluminum saucepan with the
>> rosemary infusion and the sugar and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring
>> frequently, for 35 minutes.
>>
>> Add the pectin and boil for exactly 1 minute. Place a sprig of rosemary
>> in each of 4 half-pint jars and pour the hot marmalade over them. Seal
>> and process in BWB 10 minutes.
>>

> Excellent recipe, I made it early this year but with kumquats instead of
> oranges. Waited a month and it was very good when the first jar was
> opening. A really good recipe and well worth making and keeping.
>
> George

Why, thank you, George. Glad you enjoyed it!

Lana Stuart
---from wet and soggy south Georgia

UGAK9

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
t...
> UGAK9 wrote:
>> "blah" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
>>>out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
>>>their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
>>>the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
>>>have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
>>>have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
>>>wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
>>>just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>>>
>>>Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
>>>marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
>>>lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
>>>few days ago...
>>>
>>>I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
>>>with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>>>
>>>I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
>>>marmalade too!
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
>>>Annie
>>>

>> I posted this one last year, but maybe folks won't mind seeing it one
>> more time. It's my favorite. Makes a good glaze for a pork roast, too.
>>
>> Rosemary Orange Marmalade
>> Source: The Herbal Pantry
>>
>> 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
>> 2 cups boiling water
>> 4 or 5 oranges
>> 3 cups granulated sugar
>> 3 ounces liquid pectin
>>
>> Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer's directions.
>>
>> Steep 1 sprig of rosemary in the boiling water for 30 minutes; discard
>> the herb sprig. Peel the zest from the oranges, removing as little pith
>> as possible; julienne thinly and place in a saucepan with water to cover.
>> Simmer, covered, about 1/2 hour or until tender. Drain and reserve.
>>
>> With a sharp knife remove the orange sections from the membranes. Seed
>> and dice coarsely, then transfer to a non-aluminum saucepan with the
>> rosemary infusion and the sugar and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring
>> frequently, for 35 minutes.
>>
>> Add the pectin and boil for exactly 1 minute. Place a sprig of rosemary
>> in each of 4 half-pint jars and pour the hot marmalade over them. Seal
>> and process in BWB 10 minutes.
>>

> Excellent recipe, I made it early this year but with kumquats instead of
> oranges. Waited a month and it was very good when the first jar was
> opening. A really good recipe and well worth making and keeping.
>
> George

Why, thank you, George. Glad you enjoyed it!

Lana Stuart
---from wet and soggy south Georgia

UGAK9

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
t...
> UGAK9 wrote:
>> "blah" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
>>>out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
>>>their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
>>>the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
>>>have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
>>>have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
>>>wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
>>>just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>>>
>>>Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
>>>marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
>>>lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
>>>few days ago...
>>>
>>>I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
>>>with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>>>
>>>I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
>>>marmalade too!
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
>>>Annie
>>>

>> I posted this one last year, but maybe folks won't mind seeing it one
>> more time. It's my favorite. Makes a good glaze for a pork roast, too.
>>
>> Rosemary Orange Marmalade
>> Source: The Herbal Pantry
>>
>> 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
>> 2 cups boiling water
>> 4 or 5 oranges
>> 3 cups granulated sugar
>> 3 ounces liquid pectin
>>
>> Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer's directions.
>>
>> Steep 1 sprig of rosemary in the boiling water for 30 minutes; discard
>> the herb sprig. Peel the zest from the oranges, removing as little pith
>> as possible; julienne thinly and place in a saucepan with water to cover.
>> Simmer, covered, about 1/2 hour or until tender. Drain and reserve.
>>
>> With a sharp knife remove the orange sections from the membranes. Seed
>> and dice coarsely, then transfer to a non-aluminum saucepan with the
>> rosemary infusion and the sugar and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring
>> frequently, for 35 minutes.
>>
>> Add the pectin and boil for exactly 1 minute. Place a sprig of rosemary
>> in each of 4 half-pint jars and pour the hot marmalade over them. Seal
>> and process in BWB 10 minutes.
>>

> Excellent recipe, I made it early this year but with kumquats instead of
> oranges. Waited a month and it was very good when the first jar was
> opening. A really good recipe and well worth making and keeping.
>
> George

Why, thank you, George. Glad you enjoyed it!

Lana Stuart
---from wet and soggy south Georgia

Wayne

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> [...]

> fill with Trial Batch. Drain well before filling.Repeat this procedure
> with jars needed for remainder of batch.3. Prepare Trial Batch4. 1 cup
> your jam or jelly 3 Tbsp. sugar1-1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice1-1/2 tsp.
> CERTO Fruit Pectin Measure jam or jelly into small (1-quart) saucepan.
> Bring mixture to full rolling boil ( a boil that doesn't stop bubbling
> when s5. Prepare remainder of batch.6. Do not try to remake more than
> 8 cups of jam or jelly at one time. If Trial Batch sets
> satisfactorily, follow recipe above, using the listed measures of
> sugar, lemon juice and CERTO Fruit Pectin for EACH 1 cup of jam or
> jelly. Measure7. For convenience in measuring larger amounts of sugar,
> lemon juice and CERTO:3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon8 tablespoons = 1/2
> cup16 tablespoons = 1 cupREMEMBER: If your jam or jelly still doesn't
> set, you can always use it as a g (glaze?)

I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin to
orange marmalade.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
zxcvbob

Wayne wrote:

> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin to
> orange marmalade.

Because that recipe was from a company that *sells* pectin, and it
didn't use any of the pith or the seeds. (I don't know if seeds contain
pectin, but they sure contain some kind of gel.)

Bob
zxcvbob

Wayne wrote:

> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin to
> orange marmalade.

Because that recipe was from a company that *sells* pectin, and it
didn't use any of the pith or the seeds. (I don't know if seeds contain
pectin, but they sure contain some kind of gel.)

Bob
Wayne

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>>
>> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin
>> to orange marmalade.
>>

> Because that recipe was from a company that *sells* pectin, and it
> didn't use any of the pith or the seeds. (I don't know if seeds
> contain pectin, but they sure contain some kind of gel.)
>
> Bob

Oh, I realize that's true in this case, Bob, but I've seen quite a few
marmalade recipes that call for pectin or even gelatin. Proper
marmalade can't be made without the pulp and pips. It's pectin in the
pips. Lemons have more than oranges. That's why many recipes call for
at least 1 or 2 lemons along with the oranges.

I made my first marmalade when I was 15. It was a "3-Fruit Marmalade",
using 1 grapefruit, 1 orange, and 1 lemon. Water and sugar, of course.
It was quite good.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:20:07 GMT, blah > wrote:

>I phoned Certo's toll-free line and was told that they couldn't give
>out their recipe for orange marmalade because the recipe they had in
>their database was for US customers only. That's because the one in
>the US used a different way of measurement than that metric rubbish we
>have to put up with here in Canada. Even though I told them that I
>have Imperial and metric measuring cups, spoons and scales they
>wouldn't part with the recipe! It's not like I was asking for gold,
>just sweet citrus spreadable gold!
>
>Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
>marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
>lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
>few days ago...
>
>I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
>with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>
>I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
>marmalade too!
>
>Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend!
>Annie

My basic marmalade recipe is:
fruit, sliced thinly (peel on)
water to twice the weight of the fruit
sugar to twice the weight of the fruit
So, for insatance, 1kg sliced fruit, 2 litres water and 2 kg sugar.
Place sliced fruit in water and leave to stand overnight. Next day,
bring fruit and water to a boil and simmer until fruit peel is tender.
Add sugar , bring back to boiling point and boil as fast as your pot
will allow (it foams up a LOT the faster the boil) until setting point
is reached (test a small amount on a cold saucer and see if it has
jelled). Ladle into hot jars and seal.
If adding alcohol (about 1/2 cup per kg of fruit), boil a degree or so
past setting point then add the alcohol and turn off heat.
The slower the boil the darker the marmalade, so small batches are
better so you can boil them hard without overflowing it all over the
stove :-).
I've never processed jam (not done here) so I can't give you
processing time.
CJ

> [...]

sugar to twice the weight of the fruit
So, for insatance, 1kg sliced fruit, 2 litres water and 2 kg sugar.
Place sliced fruit in water and leave to stand overnight. Next day,
bring fruit and water to a boil and simmer until fruit peel is tender.
Add sugar , bring back to boiling point and boil as fast as your pot
will allow (it foams up a LOT the faster the boil) until setting point
is reached (test a small amount on a cold saucer and see if it has
jelled). Ladle into hot jars and seal.
If adding alcohol (about 1/2 cup per kg of fruit), boil a degree or so
past setting point then add the alcohol and turn off heat.
The slower the boil the darker the marmalade, so small batches are
better so you can boil them hard without overflowing it all over the
stove :-).
I've never processed jam (not done here) so I can't give you
sarah

blah > wrote:

> Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
> marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
> lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
> few days ago...
>
> I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
> with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>
> I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
> marmalade too!

I use MWhitcombe's Dundee Marmalade recipe, found online with
illustrations a couple of years ago.[1] It's simple, and all the dark
marmalade fans in the family love it:

Ingredients
6 seville oranges, washed clean.
7 1/2 cups sugar
25-75ml blackstrap molasses [aka treacle in the UK. This makes a 'mild'
dark marmalade. I skip the treacle and instead use a dark brown sugar
for 3-4 cups of the 7 1/2.]

50 ml liqueur if desired [The author recommends whisky, which is good.
Many people use Cointreau; I prefer Drambuie as I think Cointreau makes
the marmalade taste as though it's fermented a bit. I don't add it to
the bulk mixture, just stir about 1/2 tsp into the jar before I put the
lid on.]
****
Bring the whole oranges almost to a boil in 1 litre (4 1/4 cups) water,
then simmer for an hour or until very soft. You should be able to rub
the peel to nothing between your fingers; if it's not soft, it will be
tough in the finished marmalade.

Remove the oranges (save the cooking liquid!), cut in half, spoon out
pulp and pits to another pan. Add 1/2 litre ( c. 2 cups) water, simmer
10 minutes, drain, and save liquid.

While that is simmering, thickly slice the peel and add to the original
cooking liquid with the sugar, the liquid from the pulp and seeds and
the molasses if you're using it. Bring to the boil slowly, stirring to
dissolve the sugar. Simmer 20-60 minutes, or until it jells. Cool for 20
minutes, pour into sterilised jars and seal immediately.

regards
sarah

[1] www3.sympatico.ca/mwhitcombe/marmalde.html

--
Think of it as evolution in action.

sarah

blah > wrote:

> Please could someone kindly help me? I really need to make lots of
> marmalade 'cos citrus is really cheap right now and I bought tons of
> lemons, limes, several types of oranges and 2 types of grapefruit a
> few days ago...
>
> I'd like any marmalade recipe you've made before that is great, either
> with or without Certo and any combination of citrus.
>
> I'm waiting for the Seville oranges as I love bitter Dundee-type
> marmalade too!

I use MWhitcombe's Dundee Marmalade recipe, found online with
illustrations a couple of years ago.[1] It's simple, and all the dark
marmalade fans in the family love it:

Ingredients
6 seville oranges, washed clean.
7 1/2 cups sugar
25-75ml blackstrap molasses [aka treacle in the UK. This makes a 'mild'
dark marmalade. I skip the treacle and instead use a dark brown sugar
for 3-4 cups of the 7 1/2.]

50 ml liqueur if desired [The author recommends whisky, which is good.
Many people use Cointreau; I prefer Drambuie as I think Cointreau makes
the marmalade taste as though it's fermented a bit. I don't add it to
the bulk mixture, just stir about 1/2 tsp into the jar before I put the
lid on.]
****
Bring the whole oranges almost to a boil in 1 litre (4 1/4 cups) water,
then simmer for an hour or until very soft. You should be able to rub
the peel to nothing between your fingers; if it's not soft, it will be
tough in the finished marmalade.

Remove the oranges (save the cooking liquid!), cut in half, spoon out
pulp and pits to another pan. Add 1/2 litre ( c. 2 cups) water, simmer
10 minutes, drain, and save liquid.

While that is simmering, thickly slice the peel and add to the original
cooking liquid with the sugar, the liquid from the pulp and seeds and
the molasses if you're using it. Bring to the boil slowly, stirring to
dissolve the sugar. Simmer 20-60 minutes, or until it jells. Cool for 20
minutes, pour into sterilised jars and seal immediately.

regards
sarah

[1] www3.sympatico.ca/mwhitcombe/marmalde.html

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne
> wrote:

> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin to
> orange marmalade.

Crabapples have enough pectin to make jelly without added pectin, too.
The stuff I make without additional has never been as nice as the stuff
I make with additional pectin. You pays your money and you takes your
choice.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne
> wrote:

> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin to
> orange marmalade.

Crabapples have enough pectin to make jelly without added pectin, too.
The stuff I make without additional has never been as nice as the stuff
I make with additional pectin. You pays your money and you takes your
choice.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Scott

In article >,
Wayne > wrote:

> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin to
> orange marmalade.

One argument I heard is from "Blue Ribbon Preserves" by Linda J. Amendt:
"Preparing soft spreads without the addition of extra pectin frequently
yields unreliable results. ... Jams, conserves, and butters made without
added pectin must be cooked for a long period of time and they actually
thicken from the evaporation of juice rather than from the process of
jelling." She adds that "better results" require the "complex task" of
determining the "actual pectin content of each batch of cooked fruit,"
thereby extending the cooking time.

Just note that I'm mentioning one person's opinion, not stating that
it's my own.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Wayne > wrote:

> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin to
> orange marmalade.

One argument I heard is from "Blue Ribbon Preserves" by Linda J. Amendt:
"Preparing soft spreads without the addition of extra pectin frequently
yields unreliable results. ... Jams, conserves, and butters made without
added pectin must be cooked for a long period of time and they actually
thicken from the evaporation of juice rather than from the process of
jelling." She adds that "better results" require the "complex task" of
determining the "actual pectin content of each batch of cooked fruit,"
thereby extending the cooking time.

Just note that I'm mentioning one person's opinion, not stating that
it's my own.

please mail OT responses only

Wayne

Scott > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Wayne > wrote:
>
>> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin
>> to orange marmalade.

> One argument I heard is from "Blue Ribbon Preserves" by Linda J.
> Amendt: "Preparing soft spreads without the addition of extra pectin
> frequently yields unreliable results. ... Jams, conserves, and butters
> made without added pectin must be cooked for a long period of time and
> they actually thicken from the evaporation of juice rather than from
> the process of jelling." She adds that "better results" require the
> "complex task" of determining the "actual pectin content of each batch
> of cooked fruit," thereby extending the cooking time.
>

> Just note that I'm mentioning one person's opinion, not stating that
> it's my own.

Understood, and I agree that there are many fruits where there might be
enough variation in the natural pectin to cause inconsistencies.

Citrus marmalades, however, does not suffer from this problem.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Scott > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Wayne > wrote:
>
>> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin
>> to orange marmalade.

> One argument I heard is from "Blue Ribbon Preserves" by Linda J.
> Amendt: "Preparing soft spreads without the addition of extra pectin
> frequently yields unreliable results. ... Jams, conserves, and butters
> made without added pectin must be cooked for a long period of time and
> they actually thicken from the evaporation of juice rather than from
> the process of jelling." She adds that "better results" require the
> "complex task" of determining the "actual pectin content of each batch
> of cooked fruit," thereby extending the cooking time.
>

> Just note that I'm mentioning one person's opinion, not stating that
> it's my own.

Understood, and I agree that there are many fruits where there might be
enough variation in the natural pectin to cause inconsistencies.

Citrus marmalades, however, does not suffer from this problem.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, Wayne
> > wrote:
>
>> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin
>> to orange marmalade.

> Crabapples have enough pectin to make jelly without added pectin, too.
> The stuff I make without additional has never been as nice as the
> stuff I make with additional pectin. You pays your money and you
> takes your choice.

Absolutely. There are only two fruits to which I never add
pectin...orange and other citrus marmalades, and ground cherry
preserves.

Of the countless batches of marmalade I've made over the years, I have
never added pectin and have never had a failure. I'm always amazed at
this, but the consistency is uncanny. <no puns intended>

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, Wayne
> > wrote:
>
>> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin
>> to orange marmalade.

> Crabapples have enough pectin to make jelly without added pectin, too.
> The stuff I make without additional has never been as nice as the
> stuff I make with additional pectin. You pays your money and you
> takes your choice.

Absolutely. There are only two fruits to which I never add
pectin...orange and other citrus marmalades, and ground cherry
preserves.

Of the countless batches of marmalade I've made over the years, I have
never added pectin and have never had a failure. I'm always amazed at
this, but the consistency is uncanny. <no puns intended>

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, Wayne
> > wrote:
>
>> I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin
>> to orange marmalade.

> Crabapples have enough pectin to make jelly without added pectin, too.
> The stuff I make without additional has never been as nice as the
> stuff I make with additional pectin. You pays your money and you
> takes your choice.

Absolutely. There are only two fruits to which I never add
pectin...orange and other citrus marmalades, and ground cherry
preserves.

Of the countless batches of marmalade I've made over the years, I have
never added pectin and have never had a failure. I'm always amazed at
this, but the consistency is uncanny. <no puns intended>

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
zxcvbob

Wayne wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
> :
>

>>In article >, Wayne
> wrote:
>>

>>>I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin
>>>to orange marmalade.

>>Crabapples have enough pectin to make jelly without added pectin, too.
>> The stuff I make without additional has never been as nice as the
>>stuff I make with additional pectin. You pays your money and you
>>takes your choice.

> Absolutely. There are only two fruits to which I never add
> pectin...orange and other citrus marmalades, and ground cherry
> preserves.
>
> Of the countless batches of marmalade I've made over the years, I have
> never added pectin and have never had a failure. I'm always amazed at
> this, but the consistency is uncanny. <no puns intended>

Ground cherry preserves? Something like this? I've never made it
before; it looks like it would need a lemon or two, or at least some
lemon juice. I didn't know ground cherries were full of pectin.

Maybe you can post a tested recipe?

Cape Gooseberry Jam

6lb husked cape gooseberries
[ground cherries and cape gooseberries are the same thing]
4 1/2 lb sugar
1 US pint water

Prick the gooseberries with a large needle and layer in a large pot with
the sugar. Pour the water over the top. Boil gently until it reaches
setting point. Jar as you will.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Wayne wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
> :
>

>>In article >, Wayne
> wrote:
>>

>>>I'll still never understand why anyone thinks they need to add pectin
>>>to orange marmalade.

>>Crabapples have enough pectin to make jelly without added pectin, too.
>> The stuff I make without additional has never been as nice as the
>>stuff I make with additional pectin. You pays your money and you
>>takes your choice.

> Absolutely. There are only two fruits to which I never add
> pectin...orange and other citrus marmalades, and ground cherry
> preserves.
>
> Of the countless batches of marmalade I've made over the years, I have
> never added pectin and have never had a failure. I'm always amazed at
> this, but the consistency is uncanny. <no puns intended>

Ground cherry preserves? Something like this? I've never made it
before; it looks like it would need a lemon or two, or at least some
lemon juice. I didn't know ground cherries were full of pectin.

Maybe you can post a tested recipe?

Cape Gooseberry Jam

6lb husked cape gooseberries
[ground cherries and cape gooseberries are the same thing]
4 1/2 lb sugar
1 US pint water

Prick the gooseberries with a large needle and layer in a large pot with
the sugar. Pour the water over the top. Boil gently until it reaches
setting point. Jar as you will.

Best regards,
Bob
Wayne

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
>> :

>>>Crabapples have enough pectin to make jelly without added pectin,
>>>too.
>>> The stuff I make without additional has never been as nice as the
>>>stuff I make with additional pectin. You pays your money and you
>>>takes your choice.

>> Absolutely. There are only two fruits to which I never add
>> pectin...orange and other citrus marmalades, and ground cherry
>> preserves.
>>
>> Of the countless batches of marmalade I've made over the years, I
>> have never added pectin and have never had a failure. I'm always
>> amazed at this, but the consistency is uncanny. <no puns intended>
>>

> Ground cherry preserves? Something like this? I've never made it
> before; it looks like it would need a lemon or two, or at least some
> lemon juice. I didn't know ground cherries were full of pectin.
>
> Maybe you can post a tested recipe?
>
> Cape Gooseberry Jam
>
> 6lb husked cape gooseberries
> [ground cherries and cape gooseberries are the same thing]
> 4 1/2 lb sugar
> 1 US pint water
>
> Prick the gooseberries with a large needle and layer in a large pot
> with the sugar. Pour the water over the top. Boil gently until it
> reaches setting point. Jar as you will.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Virtually the same recipe, but I do add the juice of 1 lemon. I test
for the right set (I like the liquid part to very slightly syrupy) by
putting a spoonful on a saucer that was just taken from the freezer,
then pulling my fingertip through the syrup. It should form an easily
movable skin, but should not solidify.

Oh, I never bother to pierce them with a needle.

I don't know if you've eaten these before, but they are really
delicious. The flavor reminds me slightly of fig preserves.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Marmalade James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 37 01-02-2010 01:34 AM
Marmalade Lamont Cranston Preserving 0 06-01-2010 04:56 AM
Invitation to new Food, Recipes, Information, historic recipes,Vintage Recipes, etc. [email protected][_2_] General Cooking 0 09-12-2008 04:04 PM
Lemon marmalade - why have I got liquid on top of set marmalade? aspley General Cooking 3 26-03-2006 02:24 PM
About marmalade Shadow Preserving 0 22-05-2005 10:27 PM