f/256

Default Tomato canning

For the first time, last year I canned a bushel of tomatoes that yielded 10
liters of tomato sauce. In my household 10 liters last 12 months. This
year I will be processing enough for the whole year (5 bushels). I live
close to many Italians and I have asked them how they make their sauce,
invariable, all of the people I have asked say the wash the tomatoes, cut
them in half to inspect them and then press them with an electric machine,
boil the juice to needed consistency and then pour the sauce into hot jars.
No adding extra lemon juice, no boiling or pressure cooking of the already
filled jars, a lady told me yesterday she's being doing it like that for
over 20 years we/of any problems, she also told me she has 2 years supply,
and that now she is consuming what she canned in 2002.

Now, I have read many of the recommended processes by agriculture
departments of several universities and all of them recommend boiling and or
pressure cooking of the filled jars.

Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How do
people in this NG do it?

Many thanks,

Guillermo

f/256

"f/256" > wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
> For the first time, last year I canned a bushel of tomatoes that yielded

10
> liters of tomato sauce. In my household 10 liters last 12 months. This
> year I will be processing enough for the whole year (5 bushels).

I should have said that 10 liters last 2 month not 12 months.

f/256

"f/256" > wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
> For the first time, last year I canned a bushel of tomatoes that yielded

10
> liters of tomato sauce. In my household 10 liters last 12 months. This
> year I will be processing enough for the whole year (5 bushels).

I should have said that 10 liters last 2 month not 12 months.

Brian Mailman

f/256 wrote:
> No adding extra lemon juice, no boiling or pressure cooking of the already
> filled jars, a lady told me yesterday she's being doing it like that for
> over 20 years we/of any problems,

Statistics have nothing to do with predicting the outcome of any
individual occurrence, or something happening to any particular individual.

B/
Brian Mailman

f/256 wrote:
> No adding extra lemon juice, no boiling or pressure cooking of the already
> filled jars, a lady told me yesterday she's being doing it like that for
> over 20 years we/of any problems,

Statistics have nothing to do with predicting the outcome of any
individual occurrence, or something happening to any particular individual.

B/

Derric

> Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How do
> people in this NG do it?

I think that, generally, it would be recommended that 100% tomato sauce
should be pressure canned these days. Older variety, higher acid
tomatos used to be BWB'd, but that isn't recommended anymore.

Derric

Derric

> Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How do
> people in this NG do it?

I think that, generally, it would be recommended that 100% tomato sauce
should be pressure canned these days. Older variety, higher acid
tomatos used to be BWB'd, but that isn't recommended anymore.

Derric

Ribitt

º
"Derric" > wrote in message

> > Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

do
> > people in this NG do it?

> I think that, generally, it would be recommended that 100% tomato sauce
> should be pressure canned these days. Older variety, higher acid
> tomatos used to be BWB'd, but that isn't recommended anymore.
>
> Derric

I cant resist responding to this. My family for generations has been making
tomato sauce exactly as described. (I am 74, so I am talking of 2
generations ahead of me and 2 behind me).

With an engineering background (OK, electrical, not chemical) I don't
understand why you can stew tomatoes at 212ºF, then put them into sterilized
jars with lids that come from a boiling water bath, then tell me that they
have to do time in a pressure cooker to raise the internal temperature to
185º to make them safe.

Last time I checked, about four people in the USA die annually from botulism
caused by home canning. Another 40,000 die in highway related accidents, and
I think about 20,000 from gunshot 'incidents'.

Ribitt

º
"Derric" > wrote in message

> > Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

do
> > people in this NG do it?

> I think that, generally, it would be recommended that 100% tomato sauce
> should be pressure canned these days. Older variety, higher acid
> tomatos used to be BWB'd, but that isn't recommended anymore.
>
> Derric

I cant resist responding to this. My family for generations has been making
tomato sauce exactly as described. (I am 74, so I am talking of 2
generations ahead of me and 2 behind me).

With an engineering background (OK, electrical, not chemical) I don't
understand why you can stew tomatoes at 212ºF, then put them into sterilized
jars with lids that come from a boiling water bath, then tell me that they
have to do time in a pressure cooker to raise the internal temperature to
185º to make them safe.

Last time I checked, about four people in the USA die annually from botulism
caused by home canning. Another 40,000 die in highway related accidents, and
I think about 20,000 from gunshot 'incidents'.

The Cook

"Ribitt" > wrote:

>"Derric" > wrote in message
.. .

>> > Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

>do
>> > people in this NG do it?

>> I think that, generally, it would be recommended that 100% tomato sauce
>> should be pressure canned these days. Older variety, higher acid
>> tomatos used to be BWB'd, but that isn't recommended anymore.
>>
>> Derric
>>

>I cant resist responding to this. My family for generations has been making
>tomato sauce exactly as described. (I am 74, so I am talking of 2
>generations ahead of me and 2 behind me).
>
>With an engineering background (OK, electrical, not chemical) I don't
>understand why you can stew tomatoes at 212ºF, then put them into sterilized
>jars with lids that come from a boiling water bath, then tell me that they
>have to do time in a pressure cooker to raise the internal temperature to
>185º to make them safe.
>
>Last time I checked, about four people in the USA die annually from botulism
>caused by home canning. Another 40,000 die in highway related accidents, and
>I think about 20,000 from gunshot 'incidents'.

Well, if you do not mind if the 4 per year are your friends and
relatives, do whatever you want. Since I do care about my friends and
relatives, I do the utmost to make sure that what I feed them is not
poison.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

The Cook

"Ribitt" > wrote:

>"Derric" > wrote in message
.. .

>> > Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

>do
>> > people in this NG do it?

>> I think that, generally, it would be recommended that 100% tomato sauce
>> should be pressure canned these days. Older variety, higher acid
>> tomatos used to be BWB'd, but that isn't recommended anymore.
>>
>> Derric
>>

>I cant resist responding to this. My family for generations has been making
>tomato sauce exactly as described. (I am 74, so I am talking of 2
>generations ahead of me and 2 behind me).
>
>With an engineering background (OK, electrical, not chemical) I don't
>understand why you can stew tomatoes at 212ºF, then put them into sterilized
>jars with lids that come from a boiling water bath, then tell me that they
>have to do time in a pressure cooker to raise the internal temperature to
>185º to make them safe.
>
>Last time I checked, about four people in the USA die annually from botulism
>caused by home canning. Another 40,000 die in highway related accidents, and
>I think about 20,000 from gunshot 'incidents'.

Well, if you do not mind if the 4 per year are your friends and
relatives, do whatever you want. Since I do care about my friends and
relatives, I do the utmost to make sure that what I feed them is not
poison.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Anny Middon

"Derric" > wrote in message

> > Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

do
> > people in this NG do it?

> I think that, generally, it would be recommended that 100% tomato sauce
> should be pressure canned these days. Older variety, higher acid
> tomatos used to be BWB'd, but that isn't recommended anymore.

Depends on what you mean by 100% tomato sauce. If you mean "not adding a
spoonful of lemon juice to each jar" then I guess you're right.

The current BBB has a couple of recipes for tomato sauce. One is just
tomatoes cooked to a sauce and canned with a spoonful of bottled lemon
juice. The other call for a variety of seasonings in addition to that spoon
of lemon. Both are BWB'd.

And of course, whole and crushed tomatoes can be BWB canned.

Anny

Anny Middon

"Derric" > wrote in message

> > Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

do
> > people in this NG do it?

> I think that, generally, it would be recommended that 100% tomato sauce
> should be pressure canned these days. Older variety, higher acid
> tomatos used to be BWB'd, but that isn't recommended anymore.

Depends on what you mean by 100% tomato sauce. If you mean "not adding a
spoonful of lemon juice to each jar" then I guess you're right.

The current BBB has a couple of recipes for tomato sauce. One is just
tomatoes cooked to a sauce and canned with a spoonful of bottled lemon
juice. The other call for a variety of seasonings in addition to that spoon
of lemon. Both are BWB'd.

And of course, whole and crushed tomatoes can be BWB canned.

Anny

Brian Mailman

The Cook wrote:

>>Last time I checked, about four people in the USA die annually from botulism
>>caused by home canning.

Dead is dead. If you happen to be one of those of four people, the
chances raise to 100%.

B/
Brian Mailman

The Cook wrote:

>>Last time I checked, about four people in the USA die annually from botulism
>>caused by home canning.

Dead is dead. If you happen to be one of those of four people, the
chances raise to 100%.

B/

Brian Mailman

The Cook wrote:

>>With an engineering background (OK, electrical, not chemical) I don't
>>understand why you can stew tomatoes at 212=BAF, then put them into ste=

rilized
>>jars with lids that come from a boiling water bath, then tell me that t=

hey
>>have to do time in a pressure cooker to raise the internal temperature =

>>185=BA to make them safe.

PS: Sterile/antiseptic isn't the point. Botulism is caused by a toxin=20
the spores produce. It exists even after the bacteria are destroyed.=20
The point of the exercise is to destabilize/inactivate the toxin.

B/
Brian Mailman

The Cook wrote:

>>With an engineering background (OK, electrical, not chemical) I don't
>>understand why you can stew tomatoes at 212=BAF, then put them into ste=

rilized
>>jars with lids that come from a boiling water bath, then tell me that t=

hey
>>have to do time in a pressure cooker to raise the internal temperature =

>>185=BA to make them safe.

PS: Sterile/antiseptic isn't the point. Botulism is caused by a toxin=20
the spores produce. It exists even after the bacteria are destroyed.=20
The point of the exercise is to destabilize/inactivate the toxin.

B/
Brian Mailman

The Cook wrote:

>>With an engineering background (OK, electrical, not chemical) I don't
>>understand why you can stew tomatoes at 212=BAF, then put them into ste=

rilized
>>jars with lids that come from a boiling water bath, then tell me that t=

hey
>>have to do time in a pressure cooker to raise the internal temperature =

>>185=BA to make them safe.

PS: Sterile/antiseptic isn't the point. Botulism is caused by a toxin=20
the spores produce. It exists even after the bacteria are destroyed.=20
The point of the exercise is to destabilize/inactivate the toxin.

B/
ellen wickberg

in article .rogers.com,
Ribitt at wrote on 17/9/04 2:10 PM:

> º
> "Derric" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

> do
>>> people in this NG do it?

>> I think that, generally, it would be recommended that 100% tomato sauce
>> should be pressure canned these days. Older variety, higher acid
>> tomatos used to be BWB'd, but that isn't recommended anymore.
>>
>> Derric
>>

> I cant resist responding to this. My family for generations has been making
> tomato sauce exactly as described. (I am 74, so I am talking of 2
> generations ahead of me and 2 behind me).
>
> With an engineering background (OK, electrical, not chemical) I don't
> understand why you can stew tomatoes at 212ºF, then put them into sterilized
> jars with lids that come from a boiling water bath, then tell me that they
> have to do time in a pressure cooker to raise the internal temperature to
> 185º to make them safe.
>
> Last time I checked, about four people in the USA die annually from botulism
> caused by home canning. Another 40,000 die in highway related accidents, and
> I think about 20,000 from gunshot 'incidents'.

You certainly don't need to pressure can if you are willing to add citric
acid or lemon juice. It is true that few people die of botulism, it's just
that the food gives no warning of spoilage before you eat it and that hardly
seems worth the risk. The 2 previous generation behind you probably were
using a higher acid tomato. It is , of course, your choice. It would be
nice to warn guests however.
Ellen

ellen wickberg

in article .rogers.com,
Ribitt at wrote on 17/9/04 2:10 PM:

> º
> "Derric" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

> do
>>> people in this NG do it?

>> I think that, generally, it would be recommended that 100% tomato sauce
>> should be pressure canned these days. Older variety, higher acid
>> tomatos used to be BWB'd, but that isn't recommended anymore.
>>
>> Derric
>>

> I cant resist responding to this. My family for generations has been making
> tomato sauce exactly as described. (I am 74, so I am talking of 2
> generations ahead of me and 2 behind me).
>
> With an engineering background (OK, electrical, not chemical) I don't
> understand why you can stew tomatoes at 212ºF, then put them into sterilized
> jars with lids that come from a boiling water bath, then tell me that they
> have to do time in a pressure cooker to raise the internal temperature to
> 185º to make them safe.
>
> Last time I checked, about four people in the USA die annually from botulism
> caused by home canning. Another 40,000 die in highway related accidents, and
> I think about 20,000 from gunshot 'incidents'.

You certainly don't need to pressure can if you are willing to add citric
acid or lemon juice. It is true that few people die of botulism, it's just
that the food gives no warning of spoilage before you eat it and that hardly
seems worth the risk. The 2 previous generation behind you probably were
using a higher acid tomato. It is , of course, your choice. It would be
nice to warn guests however.
Ellen

Ken Anderson

"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message

> It is true that few people die of botulism, it's just
> that the food gives no warning of spoilage before you eat it and that hardly
> seems worth the risk. The 2 previous generation behind you probably were
> using a higher acid tomato. It is , of course, your choice. It would be
> nice to warn guests however.
> Ellen

As I'm ladling my sauce onto my guests' spaghetti, how should I phrase that
warning? ; )
To answer the OP's question, my household does it the old-time way also, be
that right or wrong.
Ken

Ken Anderson

"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message

> It is true that few people die of botulism, it's just
> that the food gives no warning of spoilage before you eat it and that hardly
> seems worth the risk. The 2 previous generation behind you probably were
> using a higher acid tomato. It is , of course, your choice. It would be
> nice to warn guests however.
> Ellen

As I'm ladling my sauce onto my guests' spaghetti, how should I phrase that
warning? ; )
To answer the OP's question, my household does it the old-time way also, be
that right or wrong.
Ken

zxcvbob

ellen wickberg wrote:
> in article .rogers.com,
> Ribitt at wrote on 17/9/04 2:10 PM:
>

>>º
>>"Derric" > wrote in message
. ..

>>do

>>>I think that, generally, it would be recommended that 100% tomato sauce
>>>should be pressure canned these days. Older variety, higher acid
>>>tomatos used to be BWB'd, but that isn't recommended anymore.
>>>
>>>Derric
>>>

>>I cant resist responding to this. My family for generations has been making
>>tomato sauce exactly as described. (I am 74, so I am talking of 2
>>generations ahead of me and 2 behind me).
>>
>>With an engineering background (OK, electrical, not chemical) I don't
>>understand why you can stew tomatoes at 212ºF, then put them into sterilized
>>jars with lids that come from a boiling water bath, then tell me that they
>>have to do time in a pressure cooker to raise the internal temperature to
>>185º to make them safe.
>>
>>Last time I checked, about four people in the USA die annually from botulism
>>caused by home canning. Another 40,000 die in highway related accidents, and
>>I think about 20,000 from gunshot 'incidents'.
>>

> You certainly don't need to pressure can if you are willing to add citric
> acid or lemon juice. It is true that few people die of botulism, it's just
> that the food gives no warning of spoilage before you eat it and that hardly
> seems worth the risk. The 2 previous generation behind you probably were
> using a higher acid tomato. It is , of course, your choice. It would be
> nice to warn guests however.
> Ellen

This doesn't pertain specifically to tomatoes but I'll mention it anyway
to make a point.

I have an old canning book that still has long-boil BWB method for low
acid foods. (like 3 hours for green beans) It warns that the contents
*must* be boiled for 10 minutes upon opening before tasting the food.
People who remember the old processing methods from when they were
children always seem to forget that part.

The old book also says that pressure canning gives a better product.

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob

ellen wickberg wrote:
> in article .rogers.com,
> Ribitt at wrote on 17/9/04 2:10 PM:
>

>>º
>>"Derric" > wrote in message
. ..

>>do

>>>I think that, generally, it would be recommended that 100% tomato sauce
>>>should be pressure canned these days. Older variety, higher acid
>>>tomatos used to be BWB'd, but that isn't recommended anymore.
>>>
>>>Derric
>>>

>>I cant resist responding to this. My family for generations has been making
>>tomato sauce exactly as described. (I am 74, so I am talking of 2
>>generations ahead of me and 2 behind me).
>>
>>With an engineering background (OK, electrical, not chemical) I don't
>>understand why you can stew tomatoes at 212ºF, then put them into sterilized
>>jars with lids that come from a boiling water bath, then tell me that they
>>have to do time in a pressure cooker to raise the internal temperature to
>>185º to make them safe.
>>
>>Last time I checked, about four people in the USA die annually from botulism
>>caused by home canning. Another 40,000 die in highway related accidents, and
>>I think about 20,000 from gunshot 'incidents'.
>>

> You certainly don't need to pressure can if you are willing to add citric
> acid or lemon juice. It is true that few people die of botulism, it's just
> that the food gives no warning of spoilage before you eat it and that hardly
> seems worth the risk. The 2 previous generation behind you probably were
> using a higher acid tomato. It is , of course, your choice. It would be
> nice to warn guests however.
> Ellen

This doesn't pertain specifically to tomatoes but I'll mention it anyway
to make a point.

I have an old canning book that still has long-boil BWB method for low
acid foods. (like 3 hours for green beans) It warns that the contents
*must* be boiled for 10 minutes upon opening before tasting the food.
People who remember the old processing methods from when they were
children always seem to forget that part.

The old book also says that pressure canning gives a better product.

Best regards,
Bob
Brian Mailman

Ken Anderson wrote:

> "ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
>>
>> It is true that few people die of botulism, it's just
>> that the food gives no warning of spoilage before you eat it and that hardly
>> seems worth the risk. The 2 previous generation behind you probably were
>> using a higher acid tomato. It is , of course, your choice. It would be
>> nice to warn guests however.
>> Ellen
>>

> As I'm ladling my sauce onto my guests' spaghetti, how should I phrase that
> warning? ; )

"If you wake up paralyzed at 2:00am, please don't hesitate to call me."

B/
Brian Mailman

Ken Anderson wrote:

> "ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
>>
>> It is true that few people die of botulism, it's just
>> that the food gives no warning of spoilage before you eat it and that hardly
>> seems worth the risk. The 2 previous generation behind you probably were
>> using a higher acid tomato. It is , of course, your choice. It would be
>> nice to warn guests however.
>> Ellen
>>

> As I'm ladling my sauce onto my guests' spaghetti, how should I phrase that
> warning? ; )

"If you wake up paralyzed at 2:00am, please don't hesitate to call me."

B/
Brian Mailman

Ken Anderson wrote:

> "ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
>>
>> It is true that few people die of botulism, it's just
>> that the food gives no warning of spoilage before you eat it and that hardly
>> seems worth the risk. The 2 previous generation behind you probably were
>> using a higher acid tomato. It is , of course, your choice. It would be
>> nice to warn guests however.
>> Ellen
>>

> As I'm ladling my sauce onto my guests' spaghetti, how should I phrase that
> warning? ; )

"If you wake up paralyzed at 2:00am, please don't hesitate to call me."

B/
Paul Kierstead

In article >,
ellen wickberg > wrote:

> You certainly don't need to pressure can if you are willing to add citric
> acid or lemon juice.

I admit to not having done any canning, but do have an interest in it
(having a small freezer); tomato sauce in particular. So I did some
reading and came across the add-acid-on-most-tomato's recommendation.
But nobody every comments on the impact to taste, which is what I would
*really* like to know before setting out to can a bunch of tomato sauce.

Any experiences?

PK

Paul Kierstead

In article >,
ellen wickberg > wrote:

> You certainly don't need to pressure can if you are willing to add citric
> acid or lemon juice.

I admit to not having done any canning, but do have an interest in it
(having a small freezer); tomato sauce in particular. So I did some
reading and came across the add-acid-on-most-tomato's recommendation.
But nobody every comments on the impact to taste, which is what I would
*really* like to know before setting out to can a bunch of tomato sauce.

Any experiences?

PK
BCHUKB

Basically recent hybridization has raised the ph of tomatoes, citric (or
ascorbic i.e lemon juice) acid will restore the lower ph. The higher temps of
pressure canning destroy the spores of cl. botulinium, the toxin and vegative
bacteria are both destroyed at much lower temperatures but spores open under
the right conditions and produce the deadly toxin which would require boiling
immediately before use to destroy. The pressure method is also less time
consuming.

Melba's Jammin'

In article
rs.com>,
Paul Kierstead > wrote:

> In article >,
> ellen wickberg > wrote:
>
> > You certainly don't need to pressure can if you are willing to add
> > citric
> > acid or lemon juice.

> I admit to not having done any canning, but do have an interest in it
> (having a small freezer); tomato sauce in particular. So I did some
> reading and came across the add-acid-on-most-tomato's recommendation.
> But nobody every comments on the impact to taste, which is what I would
> *really* like to know before setting out to can a bunch of tomato sauce.
>
> Any experiences?
>
> PK

I'd use citric acid as a first choice, then lemon juice, then vinegar.
Citric acid will make it more "sour"; i.e., acidic and safer for
processing, without affecting the "flavor". Lemon juice and vinegar
will add some flavor. And you have to use twice as much vinegar as
lemon juice. Before I started using citric acid, I used lemon juice and
did not notice any objectionable taste changes.
This is from the NCHFP site about canning tomatoes:
How do I? ...Can Tomatoes
Selecting, Preparing and Canning Tomatoes

Introduction

Quality: Select only disease-free, preferably vine-ripened, firm fruit
for canning.

Caution: Do not can tomatoes from dead or frost-killed vines. Green
tomatoes are more acidic than ripened fruit and can be canned safely
with any of the following recommendations.

Acidification: To ensure safe acidity in whole, crushed, or juiced
tomatoes, add two tablespoons of bottled lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon of
citric acid per quart of tomatoes. For pints, use one tablespoon bottled
lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon citric acid. Acid can be added directly to
the jars before filling with product. Add sugar to offset acid taste, if
desired. Four tablespoons of a 5 percent acidity vinegar per quart may
be used instead of lemon juice or citric acid. However, vinegar may
cause undesirable flavor changes.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-18-04; Sushi Story
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin'

In article
rs.com>,
Paul Kierstead > wrote:

> In article >,
> ellen wickberg > wrote:
>
> > You certainly don't need to pressure can if you are willing to add
> > citric
> > acid or lemon juice.

> I admit to not having done any canning, but do have an interest in it
> (having a small freezer); tomato sauce in particular. So I did some
> reading and came across the add-acid-on-most-tomato's recommendation.
> But nobody every comments on the impact to taste, which is what I would
> *really* like to know before setting out to can a bunch of tomato sauce.
>
> Any experiences?
>
> PK

I'd use citric acid as a first choice, then lemon juice, then vinegar.
Citric acid will make it more "sour"; i.e., acidic and safer for
processing, without affecting the "flavor". Lemon juice and vinegar
will add some flavor. And you have to use twice as much vinegar as
lemon juice. Before I started using citric acid, I used lemon juice and
did not notice any objectionable taste changes.
This is from the NCHFP site about canning tomatoes:
How do I? ...Can Tomatoes
Selecting, Preparing and Canning Tomatoes

Introduction

Quality: Select only disease-free, preferably vine-ripened, firm fruit
for canning.

Caution: Do not can tomatoes from dead or frost-killed vines. Green
tomatoes are more acidic than ripened fruit and can be canned safely
with any of the following recommendations.

Acidification: To ensure safe acidity in whole, crushed, or juiced
tomatoes, add two tablespoons of bottled lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon of
citric acid per quart of tomatoes. For pints, use one tablespoon bottled
lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon citric acid. Acid can be added directly to
the jars before filling with product. Add sugar to offset acid taste, if
desired. Four tablespoons of a 5 percent acidity vinegar per quart may
be used instead of lemon juice or citric acid. However, vinegar may
cause undesirable flavor changes.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-18-04; Sushi Story
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

f/256

"f/256" > wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...

> Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

do
> people in this NG do it?

I am the originator of this thread. After reading all of the replies to my
question and because I couldn't find a pressure canner capable of more than
doing 6 liter jars at once, I ended up doing the boiling water bath process.
Now we can still share tomato sauce with our amigos, not just with enemies
:-)

If I may change the topic a little bit: After filling the jars with the hot
sauce, placing the lids and rings, how tight should the rings be? I read
that they should be "finger tight", but I really quite don't get what that
really means. If I translate that to my own language, it means: "as tight
as you can get it using your finger", the problem is that I can get it
really tight, so tight that my petit wife can not un-screw the ring. Is the
intention, perhaps, just to tight it as tight I as I can get it using just
the very tip of the fingers.

I know this is a silly question, but if I am going to go to the trouble of
BWB, I must as well do every single step of the process as per the
instructions.

Guillermo
(got 2 more bushels to process)

f/256

"f/256" > wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...

> Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

do
> people in this NG do it?

I am the originator of this thread. After reading all of the replies to my
question and because I couldn't find a pressure canner capable of more than
doing 6 liter jars at once, I ended up doing the boiling water bath process.
Now we can still share tomato sauce with our amigos, not just with enemies
:-)

If I may change the topic a little bit: After filling the jars with the hot
sauce, placing the lids and rings, how tight should the rings be? I read
that they should be "finger tight", but I really quite don't get what that
really means. If I translate that to my own language, it means: "as tight
as you can get it using your finger", the problem is that I can get it
really tight, so tight that my petit wife can not un-screw the ring. Is the
intention, perhaps, just to tight it as tight I as I can get it using just
the very tip of the fingers.

I know this is a silly question, but if I am going to go to the trouble of
BWB, I must as well do every single step of the process as per the
instructions.

Guillermo
(got 2 more bushels to process)

zxcvbob

BCHUKB wrote:

> Basically recent hybridization has raised the ph of tomatoes, citric (or
> ascorbic i.e lemon juice) acid will restore the lower ph. The higher temps of
> pressure canning destroy the spores of cl. botulinium, the toxin and vegative
> bacteria are both destroyed at much lower temperatures but spores open under
> the right conditions and produce the deadly toxin which would require boiling
> immediately before use to destroy. The pressure method is also less time
> consuming.

The USDA sanctioned recipes assume a worst-case scenario with low-acid
varieties and improper ripening. I wonder how important adding acid is
if you grow old-fashioned commerical canning varieties like Marglobe,
Rutgers, or any of the Campbell or Heinz numbered varieties (Heinz 1439,
etc.) I don't know if it matters or not, I'm just wondering.

I usually pressure-can my tomatoes because I like the final taste and
ptexture better. I don't add acid, but I notice that commercially
canned tomatoes all have citric acid added, so it certainly doesn't hurt
the taste.

Bob
Ken Anderson

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> This is from the NCHFP site about canning tomatoes:
> How do I? ...Can Tomatoes
>
> Caution: Do not can tomatoes from dead or frost-killed vines.

Anyone know why the above caution?
Ken

Ken Anderson