Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default What is the BEST tomato strainer? and stuff about my canning...

You know, the machine that makes the sauce come out one end and the
seeds/skins go out the other? Been looking for a few years, most about the
same price. Some have all metal parts and some have plastic. I have to
assume the all metal are the best. I want, of course, the biggest hopper I
can get. What is the very best one without spending like $500, I think that
would be too much. The blender I want is that much, that's why I have to
assume there is probably one out there like that. Thanks for the advice up
front.

I'll ramble a little about my this canning experiences over the last couple
of years, cuz it's late and I can't sleep.

I've only been on here a few times, but with the resurge in sourcing local
items, natural organic foods, and the artisanal approach, I find myself just
fascinated and super excited about the possibilities of what I can make and
can that are different and unique from the everyday. We've been making
Prickly Pear Cactus Jelly by way of a nice man that lives close to us that
lets us have them. This stuff is so great, we make it with Key lime and
regular or Key lemon and Habanero or Jalapeno, the key lime makes it great.
Over cream cheese for dip, over ice cream (we don't make it too hot, remove
all ribs and seeds)...you get that same experience of the wild earthy fruit
taste against the vanilla (Like apple pie and ice cream), the contrast is
awesome! We have a small organic farm we are trying to grow what we can
with the heat it's not easy, so this year I've just made a small batch of
heirloom tomato salsa----whoa! I can tell you I will probably never eat the
Walmart, even their "fancy" stuff with black bean and white corn and the
pineapple mango does not compare to this stuff. Theirs just has way too
much sugar. The only thing about this super duper small batch is I have no
idea how I made it, not that you could get it to taste the same again anyway
with the tomatoes all being different varieties all coming in at different
times, etc. Guess I should start writing down quanities and such. I've
just seen on FoodTV about a street purveyor that makes a super bacon jam and
I saw a recipe in the newspaper and saved it a few years ago. I just have
to make this stuff. Bacon and tomato jam, anyone have experience??
Recipes? We do sell some of our product, what we don't eat, LOL. We sell
tomatoes and a few other things, just a hobby farm, so if you don't want to
give it away just let me know. My next venture is going to be trying to
make wine jelly, I asked a year ago and got some recipes off of here, just
don't know how much of a market is out there for it, I can't much of it I'm
sure. What do people do with this?

Thanks for any thoughts or comments....
Wish I could sleep, hmmmmmmm

--
Rita Foust
Poetry, TX

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/4/2011 1:52 AM, YouGrowGirl wrote:
> You know, the machine that makes the sauce come out one end and the
> seeds/skins go out the other? Been looking for a few years, most about the
> same price. Some have all metal parts and some have plastic. I have to
> assume the all metal are the best. I want, of course, the biggest hopper I
> can get. What is the very best one without spending like $500, I think that
> would be too much. The blender I want is that much, that's why I have to
> assume there is probably one out there like that. Thanks for the advice up
> front.

Depends on how much money you want to spend. This is similar to one I've
used for about ten years now: http://tinyurl.com/3swzyp6
Works well for me with one exception, the nut that holds the handle to
the strainer was not very good so I rethreaded the handle and put a much
better nut on it. My favorite cheap tool is my Ron Popol slicer that a
friend on this group gifted me with several years ago. I use it to slice
cukes, carrots, and other assorted veggies I am canning, much faster
than me and a chef's knife. Look around at thrift stores, sometimes you
find the most amazing things for sale there that are perfect for canning
operations. Not to mention jars, etc. Once made a buy that gave me six
dozen brand new jar rings and lids, from Ball, still in the original
boxes. Gave a quarter a box for them and then did the canners happy dance.

> I'll ramble a little about my this canning experiences over the last couple
> of years, cuz it's late and I can't sleep.
>
> I've only been on here a few times, but with the resurge in sourcing local
> items, natural organic foods, and the artisanal approach, I find myself just
> fascinated and super excited about the possibilities of what I can make and
> can that are different and unique from the everyday. We've been making
> Prickly Pear Cactus Jelly by way of a nice man that lives close to us that
> lets us have them. This stuff is so great, we make it with Key lime and
> regular or Key lemon and Habanero or Jalapeno, the key lime makes it great.
> Over cream cheese for dip, over ice cream (we don't make it too hot, remove
> all ribs and seeds)...you get that same experience of the wild earthy fruit
> taste against the vanilla (Like apple pie and ice cream), the contrast is
> awesome! We have a small organic farm we are trying to grow what we can
> with the heat it's not easy, so this year I've just made a small batch of
> heirloom tomato salsa----whoa! I can tell you I will probably never eat the
> Walmart, even their "fancy" stuff with black bean and white corn and the
> pineapple mango does not compare to this stuff. Theirs just has way too
> much sugar. The only thing about this super duper small batch is I have no
> idea how I made it, not that you could get it to taste the same again anyway
> with the tomatoes all being different varieties all coming in at different
> times, etc. Guess I should start writing down quanities and such. I've
> just seen on FoodTV about a street purveyor that makes a super bacon jam and
> I saw a recipe in the newspaper and saved it a few years ago. I just have
> to make this stuff. Bacon and tomato jam, anyone have experience??
> Recipes? We do sell some of our product, what we don't eat, LOL. We sell
> tomatoes and a few other things, just a hobby farm, so if you don't want to
> give it away just let me know. My next venture is going to be trying to
> make wine jelly, I asked a year ago and got some recipes off of here, just
> don't know how much of a market is out there for it, I can't much of it I'm
> sure. What do people do with this?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts or comments....
> Wish I could sleep, hmmmmmmm

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 01:52:49 -0500, "YouGrowGirl"
> wrote:

>You know, the machine that makes the sauce come out one end and the
>seeds/skins go out the other? Been looking for a few years, most about the
>same price. Some have all metal parts and some have plastic. I have to
>assume the all metal are the best. I want, of course, the biggest hopper I
>can get. What is the very best one without spending like $500, I think that
>would be too much. The blender I want is that much, that's why I have to
>assume there is probably one out there like that. Thanks for the advice up
>front.
>
>I'll ramble a little about my this canning experiences over the last couple
>of years, cuz it's late and I can't sleep.
>
>I've only been on here a few times, but with the resurge in sourcing local
>items, natural organic foods, and the artisanal approach, I find myself just
>fascinated and super excited about the possibilities of what I can make and
>can that are different and unique from the everyday. We've been making
>Prickly Pear Cactus Jelly by way of a nice man that lives close to us that
>lets us have them. This stuff is so great, we make it with Key lime and
>regular or Key lemon and Habanero or Jalapeno, the key lime makes it great.
>Over cream cheese for dip, over ice cream (we don't make it too hot, remove
>all ribs and seeds)...you get that same experience of the wild earthy fruit
>taste against the vanilla (Like apple pie and ice cream), the contrast is
>awesome! We have a small organic farm we are trying to grow what we can
>with the heat it's not easy, so this year I've just made a small batch of
>heirloom tomato salsa----whoa! I can tell you I will probably never eat the
>Walmart, even their "fancy" stuff with black bean and white corn and the
>pineapple mango does not compare to this stuff. Theirs just has way too
>much sugar. The only thing about this super duper small batch is I have no
>idea how I made it, not that you could get it to taste the same again anyway
>with the tomatoes all being different varieties all coming in at different
>times, etc. Guess I should start writing down quanities and such. I've
>just seen on FoodTV about a street purveyor that makes a super bacon jam and
>I saw a recipe in the newspaper and saved it a few years ago. I just have
>to make this stuff. Bacon and tomato jam, anyone have experience??
>Recipes? We do sell some of our product, what we don't eat, LOL. We sell
>tomatoes and a few other things, just a hobby farm, so if you don't want to
>give it away just let me know. My next venture is going to be trying to
>make wine jelly, I asked a year ago and got some recipes off of here, just
>don't know how much of a market is out there for it, I can't much of it I'm
>sure. What do people do with this?
>
>Thanks for any thoughts or comments....
>Wish I could sleep, hmmmmmmm

Squeezo. I lucked into mine at least 10 years ago with all of the
strainers for about the price of the extra strainers. They are
available at Amazon or try a Google search for other sources.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

YouGrowGirl wrote:

> You know, the machine that makes the sauce come out one end and the
> seeds/skins go out the other? Been looking for a few years, most about the
> same price. Some have all metal parts and some have plastic. I have to
> assume the all metal are the best. I want, of course, the biggest hopper I
> can get. What is the very best one without spending like $500, I think that
> would be too much. The blender I want is that much, that's why I have to
> assume there is probably one out there like that. Thanks for the advice up
> front.

no fancy gadget here other than a simple
all stainless steel food mill. about $15.

> I'll ramble a little about my this canning experiences over the last couple
> of years, cuz it's late and I can't sleep.

> I've only been on here a few times, but with the resurge in sourcing local
> items, natural organic foods, and the artisanal approach, I find myself just
> fascinated and super excited about the possibilities of what I can make and
> can that are different and unique from the everyday. We've been making
> Prickly Pear Cactus Jelly by way of a nice man that lives close to us that
> lets us have them. This stuff is so great, we make it with Key lime and
> regular or Key lemon and Habanero or Jalapeno, the key lime makes it great.

omnivores r us and it all sounds good to me.

> Over cream cheese for dip, over ice cream (we don't make it too hot, remove
> all ribs and seeds)...you get that same experience of the wild earthy fruit
> taste against the vanilla (Like apple pie and ice cream), the contrast is
> awesome! We have a small organic farm we are trying to grow what we can
> with the heat it's not easy, so this year I've just made a small batch of
> heirloom tomato salsa----whoa! I can tell you I will probably never eat the
> Walmart, even their "fancy" stuff with black bean and white corn and the
> pineapple mango does not compare to this stuff. Theirs just has way too
> much sugar. The only thing about this super duper small batch is I have no
> idea how I made it, not that you could get it to taste the same again anyway
> with the tomatoes all being different varieties all coming in at different
> times, etc.

that is the joy of cooking/canning without
using a recipe. as you say the successes are
divine.

> Guess I should start writing down quanities and such. I've
> just seen on FoodTV about a street purveyor that makes a super bacon jam and
> I saw a recipe in the newspaper and saved it a few years ago. I just have
> to make this stuff. Bacon and tomato jam, anyone have experience??

no, but it would make toast into an instant
BLT with a little parsley.

> Recipes? We do sell some of our product, what we don't eat, LOL. We sell
> tomatoes and a few other things, just a hobby farm, so if you don't want to
> give it away just let me know.

anything orange with bacon is good to me,
add a little vinegar and a touch of heat if
you'd like. anything with fat i wouldn't
trust easily being canned unless there was
a fair amount of acid in it too (ascorbic
acid added right before the final stir and
the packing, sealing and processing). i
believe you'd be in the realm of pressure
canning to do it right.

> My next venture is going to be trying to
> make wine jelly, I asked a year ago and got some recipes off of here, just
> don't know how much of a market is out there for it, I can't much of it I'm
> sure. What do people do with this?

i know some guys up north that make it and sell
it. i'm not much of wine person myself so i
haven't bought it, but i would if someone opened
it and had it in front of me. i would guess it
would go well with fruit, crackers and cheese
and i'm sure there are some who would use it like
they use mint jelly on lamb. and of course just
adding it to other recipes would give them a
bit of complexity and it would be good to not
have to open bottles of wine just for a few
teaspoons.

> Thanks for any thoughts or comments....
> Wish I could sleep, hmmmmmmm

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I got the Squeezo w/o the hopper and ordered it separately, all together I
guess it was about half price of a new one? B/f found it online. Used it
Sunday and it works great, but would not do Jalapenos. I got five pounds of
Jalapenos, what to do LOL!@
I really want to concentrate the juice/pulp and can it to use later for hot
jellies and such, but would be nice it it could be preserved in a nice fine
chop for the jellies, makes it look prettier. I'm getting on to search for
what to do with them. I don't know how to search the newsgroup for past
posts.

--
Rita Foust
Poetry, TX
Farmer Jones Eco-Friendly Plants & Produce
http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M10383
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Farmer...69212166457737
"songbird" > wrote in message
news
> [...]

> the packing, sealing and processing). i
> believe you'd be in the realm of pressure
> canning to do it right.
>

>> My next venture is going to be trying to
>> make wine jelly, I asked a year ago and got some recipes off of here,
>> just
>> don't know how much of a market is out there for it, I can't much of it
>> I'm
>> sure. What do people do with this?

> i know some guys up north that make it and sell
> it. i'm not much of wine person myself so i
> haven't bought it, but i would if someone opened
> it and had it in front of me. i would guess it
> would go well with fruit, crackers and cheese
> and i'm sure there are some who would use it like
> they use mint jelly on lamb. and of course just
> adding it to other recipes would give them a
> bit of complexity and it would be good to not
> have to open bottles of wine just for a few

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/18/2011 8:35 PM, YouGrowGirl wrote:
> I got the Squeezo w/o the hopper and ordered it separately, all together I
> guess it was about half price of a new one? B/f found it online. Used it
> Sunday and it works great, but would not do Jalapenos. I got five pounds of
> Jalapenos, what to do LOL!@
> I really want to concentrate the juice/pulp and can it to use later for hot
> jellies and such, but would be nice it it could be preserved in a nice fine
> chop for the jellies, makes it look prettier. I'm getting on to search for
> what to do with them. I don't know how to search the newsgroup for past
> posts.

Generally I have just capped and deseeded jalapenos and then run them
through the food processor for making hot pepper jelly.

Most of the food strainers won't take off the skin and run jalapenos
unless they've been cooked. Cooking them pretty much defeats the use for
jellies and jams.

Before I had a food processor I used to roast them over an open flame,
wrap them in newspaper and let them steam, then peel off the skin, take
off the cap, deseed, and just mush them up for later use.

To search for past posts you would have to go to Google groups, find
rec.food.preserving, then do a subject search. Infrequently the FAQ for
this group is posted here.

Good Luck,

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 7/18/2011 8:35 PM, YouGrowGirl wrote:
>> I got the Squeezo w/o the hopper and ordered it separately, all together
>> guess it was about half price of a new one? B/f found it online. Used
>> it
>> Sunday and it works great, but would not do Jalapenos. I got five pounds
>> of
>> Jalapenos, what to do LOL!@
>> I really want to concentrate the juice/pulp and can it to use later for
>> hot
>> jellies and such, but would be nice it it could be preserved in a nice
>> fine
>> chop for the jellies, makes it look prettier. I'm getting on to search
>> for
>> what to do with them. I don't know how to search the newsgroup for past
>> posts.
>>

> Generally I have just capped and deseeded jalapenos and then run them
> through the food processor for making hot pepper jelly.
>
> Most of the food strainers won't take off the skin and run jalapenos
> unless they've been cooked. Cooking them pretty much defeats the use for
> jellies and jams.
>
> Before I had a food processor I used to roast them over an open flame,
> wrap them in newspaper and let them steam, then peel off the skin, take
> off the cap, deseed, and just mush them up for later use.
>
> To search for past posts you would have to go to Google groups, find
> rec.food.preserving, then do a subject search. Infrequently the FAQ for
> this group is posted here.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> George

I like to roast them whole and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Leave the
skins on for protection. after they are frozen bag them up
this way you can use however many peppers you like. put the peppers under
the faucet and the skins come right off. I dont normally spend much time
seeding peppers buts it easy to do when they thaw

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/20/2011 2:44 PM, Mike wrote:
> "George > wrote in message
> .com...
>> On 7/18/2011 8:35 PM, YouGrowGirl wrote:
>>> I got the Squeezo w/o the hopper and ordered it separately, all together
>>> guess it was about half price of a new one? B/f found it online. Used
>>> it
>>> Sunday and it works great, but would not do Jalapenos. I got five pounds
>>> of
>>> Jalapenos, what to do LOL!@
>>> I really want to concentrate the juice/pulp and can it to use later for
>>> hot
>>> jellies and such, but would be nice it it could be preserved in a nice
>>> fine
>>> chop for the jellies, makes it look prettier. I'm getting on to search
>>> for
>>> what to do with them. I don't know how to search the newsgroup for past
>>> posts.
>>>

>> Generally I have just capped and deseeded jalapenos and then run them
>> through the food processor for making hot pepper jelly.
>>
>> Most of the food strainers won't take off the skin and run jalapenos
>> unless they've been cooked. Cooking them pretty much defeats the use for
>> jellies and jams.
>>
>> Before I had a food processor I used to roast them over an open flame,
>> wrap them in newspaper and let them steam, then peel off the skin, take
>> off the cap, deseed, and just mush them up for later use.
>>
>> To search for past posts you would have to go to Google groups, find
>> rec.food.preserving, then do a subject search. Infrequently the FAQ for
>> this group is posted here.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> George

> I like to roast them whole and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Leave the
> skins on for protection. after they are frozen bag them up
> this way you can use however many peppers you like. put the peppers under
> the faucet and the skins come right off. I dont normally spend much time
> seeding peppers buts it easy to do when they thaw

I do much the same with fresh tomatoes. Pick them, sort them out, wash
them good, dry them, put in a vacuum bag and seal them. Toss in the
freezer. When ready to use take them out and let them thaw in the
fridge. When thawed, open the bag and pour out the liquid, which I save
to use in soups and stews, the skin slides right off and you have the
meat of the tomato to use in cooking. Beats trying to can them or
dehydrate them.