Scott

Default processing time: chutney

I'd posted this a week or so ago. I made the recipe below, minus the
sesame seeds (couldn't find the batch I thought I had). AFAIK, it's
untested, but it seems relatively acidic. I used a BWB (10 minutes).
Think it'll be safe, stored at room temperature?

(it's quite good, by the way)

Concord Grape, Ginger & Apple Chutney

2 lb Concord grapes
1-1/2 cup sugar
1 lb Granny Smith apples, diced
1/2 lb onion, chopped
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 lb dried currants
1/2 lb ginger, grated
2T sesame seeds
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Wash grapes. To remove the skins, pinch the grapes and they will slip
off. Set the skins aside. Put pulp into saucepan and bring to a boil.
While hot, press through a strainer to remove seeds. Mix strained pulp
with skins. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 40 - 45 minutes
until most of the liquid has evaporated. Ladle into sterilized jars and
seal. The chutney will be ready to eat in one month. Yield: About 2lbs

please mail OT responses only
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> I'd posted this a week or so ago. I made the recipe below, minus the
> sesame seeds (couldn't find the batch I thought I had). AFAIK, it's
> untested, but it seems relatively acidic. I used a BWB (10 minutes).
> Think it'll be safe, stored at room temperature?

I vote yes. BBB has a 10-minute BWB for pints of chutney. It sounds
interesting -- especially without he sesame seeds. JMO.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/11/04; check the Hello
tab for Fire Muster pics.

Scott

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I vote yes. BBB has a 10-minute BWB for pints of chutney. It sounds
> interesting -- especially without he sesame seeds. JMO.

Doesn't that presume proper acidity? I wondered if the pound of apples,
etc., would raise the pH enough that a 10 minute BWB would be enough.
The BBB recipes are tested; the one I made sounds like it was thrown
together. Here's where I found it:
<http://www.divalicious.biz/divalicious.news/diva.news.7_04.agcgib.2.htm>

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I vote yes. BBB has a 10-minute BWB for pints of chutney. It sounds
> interesting -- especially without he sesame seeds. JMO.

Doesn't that presume proper acidity? I wondered if the pound of apples,
etc., would raise the pH enough that a 10 minute BWB would be enough.
The BBB recipes are tested; the one I made sounds like it was thrown
together. Here's where I found it:
<http://www.divalicious.biz/divalicious.news/diva.news.7_04.agcgib.2.htm>

please mail OT responses only
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > I vote yes. BBB has a 10-minute BWB for pints of chutney. It sounds
> > interesting -- especially without he sesame seeds. JMO.

> Doesn't that presume proper acidity? I wondered if the pound of apples,
> etc., would raise the pH enough that a 10 minute BWB would be enough.
> The BBB recipes are tested; the one I made sounds like it was thrown
> together. Here's where I found it:
> <http://www.divalicious.biz/divalicious.news/diva.news.7_04.agcgib.2.htm>

Well, I'm going to go out on the kind of limb that I don't usually
recommend to people, because I have no scientific basis to support it.
This is my opinion, unsubstantiated by science. The grapes and apples
are acidic and safe for waterbath processing individually. Then you add
a cup of cider vinegar.

The non-acid stuff is the onion and ginger. I don't know about the
dried currants.

It just "seems" like its acidic enough to me. I am not responsible for
your demise, however, should it not be. How's that for CMA? Maybe
Pastorio has some information that he could quote. Then your heirs
could sue HIM if you croak.

Got any pH strips with which you could test?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/11/04; check the Hello
tab for Fire Muster pics.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > I vote yes. BBB has a 10-minute BWB for pints of chutney. It sounds
> > interesting -- especially without he sesame seeds. JMO.

> Doesn't that presume proper acidity? I wondered if the pound of apples,
> etc., would raise the pH enough that a 10 minute BWB would be enough.
> The BBB recipes are tested; the one I made sounds like it was thrown
> together. Here's where I found it:
> <http://www.divalicious.biz/divalicious.news/diva.news.7_04.agcgib.2.htm>

Well, I'm going to go out on the kind of limb that I don't usually
recommend to people, because I have no scientific basis to support it.
This is my opinion, unsubstantiated by science. The grapes and apples
are acidic and safe for waterbath processing individually. Then you add
a cup of cider vinegar.

The non-acid stuff is the onion and ginger. I don't know about the
dried currants.

It just "seems" like its acidic enough to me. I am not responsible for
your demise, however, should it not be. How's that for CMA? Maybe
Pastorio has some information that he could quote. Then your heirs
could sue HIM if you croak.

Got any pH strips with which you could test?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/11/04; check the Hello
tab for Fire Muster pics.

Brian Mailman

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> I vote yes. BBB has a 10-minute BWB for pints of chutney. It sounds
>> interesting -- especially without he sesame seeds. JMO.

> Doesn't that presume proper acidity? I wondered if the pound of apples,
> etc., would raise the pH enough that a 10 minute BWB would be enough.
> The BBB recipes are tested; the one I made sounds like it was thrown
> together. Here's where I found it:
> <http://www.divalicious.biz/divalicious.news/diva.news.7_04.agcgib.2.htm>

I vote yes too... sounds like there's enough acid. You could add a bit
of sour salt/citric acid to it until you definitely taste sour if you're
absolutely uncertain.

B/
Brian Mailman