Melba's Jammin'

Default What makes chutney chutney?

My State Fair is in a coupla weeks and I'm up to my, uh, elbows in
fruit, pectin, sugar, and vinegar preparing for same.

One of the categories I'm entering is fruit chutney (Includes fruit, a
little heat, ginger, mustard seeds, vinegar). They also have a category
for salsa.

In the early stages of the chutney cooking, I looked at it and thought,
"Heh, I wonder if I could get away with calling this salsa." I've got a
jar of TJ Spicy, Smoky, Peach Salsa, Personally, I think this
newfangled idea of calling a fruit relish a salsa is dippy, but that's
just me. Anyway, in looking at the ingredient list for the Peach Salsa,
I see that it contains peaches, tomato puree, tomatoes, onions, sugar,
chipotles, vinegar, lemon juice, salt & spices. The tablespoon that
*somebody* (who shall remain nameless but his first name starts with
Rob) left in the jar rather than finishing is liquid and devoid of much
texture at this point.

Now that the chutney has cooked some more, I'm thinking it's the wrong
consistency for salsa so that takes care of that idea. But still, what
makes my fruit relish a chutney? Because someone decided to call it
that? Because it has ginger? Mustard seed? It can't be the
consistency because I've had an Afghani chutney (Really good recipe
below - reminded me of that schoog stuff I posted about last week)
that's liquid and chunkless.

Color me Inquisitive.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Cilantro Chutney

Recipe By : Da Afghan Restaurant Cookbook, Afghani Cooking, p. 91
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Condiments

1 bunch cilantro
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 jalapeño peppers
2 walnuts
1 teaspoon salt

Wash cilantro, peel garlic and remove seeds from peppers.

Put all ingredients into a blender and thoroughly blend. Keep
refrigerated.

Serve with naan bread or kebobs.
___
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> My State Fair is in a coupla weeks and I'm up to my, uh, elbows in
> fruit, pectin, sugar, and vinegar preparing for same.
>
> One of the categories I'm entering is fruit chutney (Includes fruit, a
> little heat, ginger, mustard seeds, vinegar). They also have a category
> for salsa.
>
> In the early stages of the chutney cooking, I looked at it and thought,
> "Heh, I wonder if I could get away with calling this salsa." I've got a
> jar of TJ Spicy, Smoky, Peach Salsa, Personally, I think this
> newfangled idea of calling a fruit relish a salsa is dippy, but that's
> just me. Anyway, in looking at the ingredient list for the Peach Salsa,
> I see that it contains peaches, tomato puree, tomatoes, onions, sugar,
> chipotles, vinegar, lemon juice, salt & spices. The tablespoon that
> *somebody* (who shall remain nameless but his first name starts with
> Rob) left in the jar rather than finishing is liquid and devoid of much
> texture at this point.
>
> Now that the chutney has cooked some more, I'm thinking it's the wrong
> consistency for salsa so that takes care of that idea. But still, what
> makes my fruit relish a chutney? Because someone decided to call it
> that? Because it has ginger? Mustard seed? It can't be the
> consistency because I've had an Afghani chutney (Really good recipe
> below - reminded me of that schoog stuff I posted about last week)
> that's liquid and chunkless.
>
> Color me Inquisitive.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>
> Cilantro Chutney
>
> Recipe By : Da Afghan Restaurant Cookbook, Afghani Cooking, p. 91
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Condiments

> 1 bunch cilantro
> 1 clove garlic
> 1/2 cup cider vinegar
> 2 jalape=F1o peppers
> 2 walnuts
> 1 teaspoon salt
>
> Wash cilantro, peel garlic and remove seeds from peppers.
>
> Put all ingredients into a blender and thoroughly blend. Keep
> refrigerated.
>
> Serve with naan bread or kebobs.

My first thought to the main question would be that chutney is cooked
(or at least pickled in some way and salsa is raw.

Mike

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 11 Aug 2005 07:32:55a, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Now that the chutney has cooked some more, I'm thinking it's the wrong
> consistency for salsa so that takes care of that idea. But still, what
> makes my fruit relish a chutney? Because someone decided to call it
> that? Because it has ginger? Mustard seed? It can't be the
> consistency because I've had an Afghani chutney (Really good recipe
> below - reminded me of that schoog stuff I posted about last week)
> that's liquid and chunkless.
>
> Color me Inquisitive.

Most all chutneys have in common, sugar, vinegar, spices, and fruit. In
spite of their usual sweetness, the flavor note is "pungent". There is no
single ingredient that qualifies it as chutney.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-3, 08/10/2005
Tested on: 8/11/2005 7:54:39 AM

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 11 Aug 2005 07:43:21a, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> My first thought to the main question would be that chutney is cooked
> (or at least pickled in some way and salsa is raw.
>
> Mike

That might certainly come to mind first. However, there are also cooked
salsas. In western cultures, most chutneys are cooked. However, in India
many chutneys are prepared fresh and eaten raw. The flavor construction for
a chutney is usually sweet, sour, spicy, pungent, and contains fruit.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-3, 08/10/2005
Tested on: 8/11/2005 7:57:29 AM

Vilco

Mi e' parso che Wayne Boatwright abbia scritto:

> Most all chutneys have in common, sugar, vinegar, spices,
> and fruit. In spite of their usual sweetness, the flavor
> note is "pungent". There is no single ingredient that
> qualifies it as chutney.

This chutney remembers me of italian "mostarda", which is not
mustard but contains mustard seeds in the liquid part, and is
made with whole small fruits. It's typical of Piedmont and
generally available in the northern part of Italy.
Perfect with boiled meat, some kind of mostarda also pair well
with cheeses, as the pear-based "mostarda di pere", or "pere
mostardate".
Sweet and pungent are the words that better describe it.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 11 Aug 2005 08:06:57a, Vilco wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Mi e' parso che Wayne Boatwright abbia scritto:
>
>> Most all chutneys have in common, sugar, vinegar, spices, and fruit.
>> In spite of their usual sweetness, the flavor note is "pungent".
>> There is no single ingredient that qualifies it as chutney.

> This chutney remembers me of italian "mostarda", which is not
> mustard but contains mustard seeds in the liquid part, and is
> made with whole small fruits. It's typical of Piedmont and
> generally available in the northern part of Italy.
> Perfect with boiled meat, some kind of mostarda also pair well
> with cheeses, as the pear-based "mostarda di pere", or "pere
> mostardate".
> Sweet and pungent are the words that better describe it.

I would consider mostarda to be a type of chutney.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-3, 08/10/2005
Tested on: 8/11/2005 8:10:09 AM

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> On Thu 11 Aug 2005 07:32:55a, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Now that the chutney has cooked some more, I'm thinking it's the wrong
> > consistency for salsa so that takes care of that idea. But still, what
> > makes my fruit relish a chutney? Because someone decided to call it
> > that? Because it has ginger? Mustard seed? It can't be the
> > consistency because I've had an Afghani chutney (Really good recipe
> > below - reminded me of that schoog stuff I posted about last week)
> > that's liquid and chunkless.
> >
> > Color me Inquisitive.
> >

> Most all chutneys have in common, sugar, vinegar, spices, and fruit.
> In spite of their usual sweetness, the flavor note is "pungent".
> There is no single ingredient that qualifies it as chutney.

Right. I think you're on to something with the pungent aspect. I'm
about to jar and process it now (water's boiling). Thanks, Wayne.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
notbob

On 2005-08-11, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> That might certainly come to mind first. However, there are also cooked
> salsas.

Si.

> many chutneys are prepared fresh and eaten raw.

Quite right.

> The flavor construction for
> a chutney is usually sweet, sour, spicy, pungent, and contains fruit.

But, not always. One of my fave chutneys, mint chutney, contains no
fruit and the sweet is provided by the onion.

½ cup Mint Leaves
¼th cup Coriander Leaves (cilantro)
1 Green chili, chopped (jalapena or serrano)
1 ½ tablespoons Onion, chopped
3 tablespoons Lemon Juice
4-5 teaspoons Water
¾th teaspoon Salt

Puree in blender. Will keep for several days in fridge.

nb
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 11 Aug 2005 10:18:53a, notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2005-08-11, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> That might certainly come to mind first. However, there are also cooked
>> salsas.

> Si.
>
>> many chutneys are prepared fresh and eaten raw.

> Quite right.
>
>> The flavor construction for
>> a chutney is usually sweet, sour, spicy, pungent, and contains fruit.

> But, not always. One of my fave chutneys, mint chutney, contains no
> fruit and the sweet is provided by the onion.
>
> ½ cup Mint Leaves
> ¼th cup Coriander Leaves (cilantro)
> 1 Green chili, chopped (jalapena or serrano)
> 1 ½ tablespoons Onion, chopped
> 3 tablespoons Lemon Juice
> 4-5 teaspoons Water
> ¾th teaspoon Salt
>
> Puree in blender. Will keep for several days in fridge.
>
> nb

That sounds delicious! I must try it when I can get hold of some fresh
mint.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-3, 08/10/2005
Tested on: 8/11/2005 10:32:21 AM

~patches~

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>>My State Fair is in a coupla weeks and I'm up to my, uh, elbows in
>>fruit, pectin, sugar, and vinegar preparing for same.
>>
>>One of the categories I'm entering is fruit chutney (Includes fruit, a
>>little heat, ginger, mustard seeds, vinegar). They also have a category
>>for salsa.
>>
>>In the early stages of the chutney cooking, I looked at it and thought,
>>"Heh, I wonder if I could get away with calling this salsa." I've got a
>>jar of TJ Spicy, Smoky, Peach Salsa, Personally, I think this
>>newfangled idea of calling a fruit relish a salsa is dippy, but that's
>>just me. Anyway, in looking at the ingredient list for the Peach Salsa,
>>I see that it contains peaches, tomato puree, tomatoes, onions, sugar,
>>chipotles, vinegar, lemon juice, salt & spices. The tablespoon that
>>*somebody* (who shall remain nameless but his first name starts with
>>Rob) left in the jar rather than finishing is liquid and devoid of much
>>texture at this point.
>>
>>Now that the chutney has cooked some more, I'm thinking it's the wrong
>>consistency for salsa so that takes care of that idea. But still, what
>>makes my fruit relish a chutney? Because someone decided to call it
>>that? Because it has ginger? Mustard seed? It can't be the
>>consistency because I've had an Afghani chutney (Really good recipe
>>below - reminded me of that schoog stuff I posted about last week)
>>that's liquid and chunkless.
>>
>>Color me Inquisitive.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>>
>> Cilantro Chutney
>>
>>Recipe By : Da Afghan Restaurant Cookbook, Afghani Cooking, p. 91
>>Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
>>Categories : Condiments
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 bunch cilantro
>> 1 clove garlic
>> 1/2 cup cider vinegar
>> 2 jalapeño peppers
>> 2 walnuts
>> 1 teaspoon salt
>>
>>Wash cilantro, peel garlic and remove seeds from peppers.
>>
>>Put all ingredients into a blender and thoroughly blend. Keep
>>refrigerated.
>>
>>Serve with naan bread or kebobs.

> My first thought to the main question would be that chutney is cooked
> (or at least pickled in some way and salsa is raw.
>
> Mike

I've always been curious about the distinction. I recall reading what a
chutney is in comparison to a salsa in comparison to a relish. I have a
reference in one of my canning books that explains it but don't have
time to look for it right now. I'll find it and post it for you. IIRC
salsas can be cooked or uncooked and usually fruit based. Remember the
tomato is a fruit not a vegetable so tomato salsa qualifies. I can
remember the distinction for chutneys. I think relishes are always
pickled. I'll see what I can find for you. BTW I make chili sauce which
a good amount of vinegar in it and is almost as chunky as the salsa I
make. Both are canned. So why is the chili sauce called a sauce
instead of a salsa? Last year I made bruchetta in a jar. It was very
much the consistancy of chunky salsa. I don't too hung up on the names
anymore but then I don't enter state fairs either.
djs0302

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> My State Fair is in a coupla weeks and I'm up to my, uh, elbows in
> fruit, pectin, sugar, and vinegar preparing for same.
>
> One of the categories I'm entering is fruit chutney (Includes fruit, a
> little heat, ginger, mustard seeds, vinegar). They also have a category
> for salsa.
>
> In the early stages of the chutney cooking, I looked at it and thought,
> "Heh, I wonder if I could get away with calling this salsa." I've got a
> jar of TJ Spicy, Smoky, Peach Salsa, Personally, I think this
> newfangled idea of calling a fruit relish a salsa is dippy, but that's
> just me. Anyway, in looking at the ingredient list for the Peach Salsa,
> I see that it contains peaches, tomato puree, tomatoes, onions, sugar,
> chipotles, vinegar, lemon juice, salt & spices. The tablespoon that
> *somebody* (who shall remain nameless but his first name starts with
> Rob) left in the jar rather than finishing is liquid and devoid of much
> texture at this point.
>
> Now that the chutney has cooked some more, I'm thinking it's the wrong
> consistency for salsa so that takes care of that idea. But still, what
> makes my fruit relish a chutney?

Chutney: a condiment that is made of acidic fruits with added raisins,
dates, and onions and seasoned with spices. The key ingredients are
the fruit and the onions.

Bob Myers

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> I've always been curious about the distinction. I recall reading what a
> chutney is in comparison to a salsa in comparison to a relish.

In Mexico (which ought to count for SOMETHING), I believe that
"salsa" simply means "sauce" in the broadest possible sense of the
word. (No, I don't want to restart the Great Alfredo Battle of
2005...) So damned near anything you could pour out of a jar
could be (and probably has been, by someone) labelled a "salsa."
I think most people, though, would have in mind something that
had reasonably small-sized chunks of fruits and/or veggies in
it. I would not be at all surprised to find that what we'd call
"pickle relish," just for example, winds up as a "salsa" of some
sort on store shelves all across Mexico.

Merriam-Webster says that "chutney" is derived from a Hindi
term, and it appears that vinegar and possibly sugar are the
defining ingredients. But I really suspect that at the root of all
this, we're just seeing the results of the fact that pretty much all
human cultures at some point have chopped up fruits and veggies
and used the result (with or without additional liquids, juices,
whatever) as a condiment - so we've got at least as many
words as there are languages for what's broadly the same thing.
Sorta like "noodles" - is there any place on the planet where the
locals haven't at some point made long stringlike things out of
some sort of flour?

Language ain't an exact science, folks...it's a lot messier, and
about as stable a situation as trying to nail Jell-O to the wall...

Bob M.

Dimitri

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> My State Fair is in a coupla weeks and I'm up to my, uh, elbows in
> fruit, pectin, sugar, and vinegar preparing for same.

<snip>

> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
> couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Interesting question here are the definitions from Epicurious:

chutney
[CHUHT-nee]
From the East Indian word chatni , this spicy condiment contains fruit, vinegar,
sugar and spices. It can range in texture from chunky to smooth and in degrees
of spiciness from mild to hot. Chutney is a delicious accompaniment to curried
dishes. The sweeter chutneys also make interesting bread spreads and are
delicious served with cheese.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S
COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

salsa
[SAHL-sah]
The Mexican word for "sauce," which can signify cooked or fresh mixtures. Salsa
cruda is "uncooked salsa"; salsa verde is "green salsa," which is typically
based on TOMATILLOS, green CHILES and CILANTRO. A broad selection of salsas -
fresh, canned or in jars - is available in supermarkets today. They can range in
spiciness from mild to mouth-searing. Fresh salsas are located in a market's
refrigerated section. At home, they should be tightly covered and refrigerated
for up to 5 days. Unopened cooked salsas can be stored at room temperature for 6
months; once opened, refrigerate them for up to 1 month.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S
COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Based upon the above I would say any chutney and be a salsa but few salsa's can
be chutneys. The determining factor would be the vinegar since a tomato is a
fruit.

Dimitri

Del Cecchi

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> (snippage)
>
>>>My first thought to the main question would be that chutney is cooked
>>>(or at least pickled in some way and salsa is raw.
>>>
>>>Mike
>>>

>>I've always been curious about the distinction. I recall reading what a
>>chutney is in comparison to a salsa in comparison to a relish.

> My State Fair judges have both chutney and salsa as a *type* of relish.
> Kinda like jams and jellies being a *type* of preserves.

Salsa doesn't have vinegar?

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
Dee Randall

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> My State Fair is in a coupla weeks and I'm up to my, uh, elbows in
>> fruit, pectin, sugar, and vinegar preparing for same.

> <snip>
>
>> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
>> couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

> Interesting question here are the definitions from Epicurious:
>
> chutney
> [CHUHT-nee]
> From the East Indian word chatni , this spicy condiment contains fruit,
> vinegar, sugar and spices. It can range in texture from chunky to smooth
> and in degrees of spiciness from mild to hot. Chutney is a delicious
> accompaniment to curried dishes. The sweeter chutneys also make
> interesting bread spreads and are delicious served with cheese.
> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
>
> salsa
> [SAHL-sah]
> The Mexican word for "sauce," which can signify cooked or fresh mixtures.
> Salsa cruda is "uncooked salsa"; salsa verde is "green salsa," which is
> typically based on TOMATILLOS, green CHILES and CILANTRO. A broad
> selection of salsas - fresh, canned or in jars - is available in
> supermarkets today. They can range in spiciness from mild to
> mouth-searing. Fresh salsas are located in a market's refrigerated
> section. At home, they should be tightly covered and refrigerated for up
> to 5 days. Unopened cooked salsas can be stored at room temperature for 6
> months; once opened, refrigerate them for up to 1 month.
> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
>

> Based upon the above I would say any chutney and be a salsa but few
> salsa's can be chutneys. The determining factor would be the vinegar
> since a tomato is a fruit.
>
> Dimitri

According to the Epicurious definition, a cilantro chutney (fresh) would not
be classified as a chutney , as it has no fruit; or am I misunderstanding
that you can still have a chutney without a fruit and if so, then it would
only contain vinegar, sugar and spices.
Dee Dee

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Del Cecchi
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, ~patches~
> > > wrote:

> >>I've always been curious about the distinction. I recall reading
> >>what a chutney is in comparison to a salsa in comparison to a
> >>relish.

> > My State Fair judges have both chutney and salsa as a *type* of
> > relish.
> >
> > Kinda like jams and jellies being a *type* of preserves.

> Salsa doesn't have vinegar?

The ones tested for safe canning do.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Dimitri

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

<Snip>

> According to the Epicurious definition, a cilantro chutney (fresh) would not
> be classified as a chutney , as it has no fruit; or am I misunderstanding that
> you can still have a chutney without a fruit and if so, then it would only
> contain vinegar, sugar and spices.
> Dee Dee

I think the walnuts and peppers would classify as fruits.

If a tomato is a fruit is a pepper?

Dimitri

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >> My State Fair is in a coupla weeks and I'm up to my, uh, elbows in
> >> fruit, pectin, sugar, and vinegar preparing for same.

> > <snip>
> >
> >> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
> >> couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

> > Interesting question here are the definitions from Epicurious:
> >
> > chutney
> > [CHUHT-nee]
> > From the East Indian word chatni , this spicy condiment contains
> > fruit, vinegar, sugar and spices. It can range in texture from
> > chunky to smooth and in degrees of spiciness from mild to hot.
> > Chutney is a delicious accompaniment to curried dishes. The sweeter
> > chutneys also make interesting bread spreads and are delicious
> > served with cheese.

> > © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> > LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
> >
> > salsa [SAHL-sah] The Mexican word for "sauce," which can signify
> > cooked or fresh mixtures. Salsa cruda is "uncooked salsa"; salsa
> > verde is "green salsa," which is typically based on TOMATILLOS,
> > green CHILES and CILANTRO. A broad selection of salsas - fresh,
> > canned or in jars - is available in supermarkets today. They can
> > range in spiciness from mild to mouth-searing. Fresh salsas are
> > located in a market's refrigerated section. At home, they should be
> > tightly covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days. Unopened cooked
> > salsas can be stored at room temperature for 6 months; once opened,
> > refrigerate them for up to 1 month.

> > © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> > LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
> >

> > Based upon the above I would say any chutney and be a salsa but few
> > salsa's can be chutneys. The determining factor would be the vinegar
> > since a tomato is a fruit.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >

> According to the Epicurious definition, a cilantro chutney (fresh)
> would not be classified as a chutney , as it has no fruit; or am I
> misunderstanding that you can still have a chutney without a fruit
> and if so, then it would only contain vinegar, sugar and spices.

> Dee Dee

The folks at Da Afghan restaurant in town refer to their two
bread-dipping sauces as chutneys; neither involves fruit. I posted the
recipe for the Cilantro Chutney they serve. I'm sure not going to tell
them it's not really chutney. :-0) Oh, where is Shankar when we need
him!?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
maxine in ri

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:35:59 GMT, "Dimitri" >
connected the dots and wrote:

~
~"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
~>
~
~<Snip>
~
~
~> According to the Epicurious definition, a cilantro chutney (fresh)
would not
~> be classified as a chutney , as it has no fruit; or am I
misunderstanding that
~> you can still have a chutney without a fruit and if so, then it
would only
~> contain vinegar, sugar and spices.
~> Dee Dee
~
~
~I think the walnuts and peppers would classify as fruits.
~
~
~If a tomato is a fruit is a pepper?
~
~Dimitri
~
Botanically speaking, yes.

maxine in ri
maxine in ri

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:42:34 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> connected the dots and wrote:

~In article >, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:
~
~> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
~> . ..
~> >
~> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
~> > ...
[...]

Or TJ.

maxine in ri
maxine in ri

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:42:34 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> connected the dots and wrote:

~In article >, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:
~
~> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
~> . ..
~> >
[...]

Would the difference be cultural and based on available local
ingredients? Both are relishes, sauces, condiments. Subcontinent
relishes use tamarind, mango, etc because those are local. Central
Americans use tomatoS and capsicams because they are available.
And vice versa.

Fusion cuisine makes them indistinguishable since it mixes everything
up.

Or is that too broad?

maxine in ri
Mr Libido Incognito

Dimitri wrote on 12 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Based upon the above I would say any chutney and be a salsa but few
> salsa's can be chutneys. The determining factor would be the
> vinegar since a tomato is a fruit.
>
> Dimitri
>

> begin 666 Outlook Express (2).lnk
> Attachment saved: C:\XNEWS\attachments\Outlook Express (2).lnk
> `
> end

Dimitri....you seem to be sending or leaking stuff you might not be aware
of.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Bob

Okay, lemme chime in here, in reply to the original question. (It was Barb
who started this, right? At least she didn't say she was making Alfredo
Chutney!) Here's a quote from a really nifty book entitled _Salsas,
Sambals, Chutneys & Chowchows_:

"Even in their home country of India, chutneys are a varied lot. They may
be either raw or cooked, and range from chunky combinations of fruit,
vegetables, and spices to rather plain affairs of grated vegetables with a
few other flavors. As Julie Sahni points out in her excellent cookbook
_Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking_, chutneys that contain large
chunks of fruits or vegetables, like Major Grey's and most of those included
here, might be considered pickles in India."

So Barb, if you make a relish and CALL it a chutney, it's a chutney. :-)

Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 13 Aug 2005 07:44:09a, Bob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Okay, lemme chime in here, in reply to the original question. (It was
> Barb who started this, right? At least she didn't say she was making
> Alfredo Chutney!) Here's a quote from a really nifty book entitled
> _Salsas, Sambals, Chutneys & Chowchows_:
>
> "Even in their home country of India, chutneys are a varied lot. They
> may be either raw or cooked, and range from chunky combinations of
> fruit, vegetables, and spices to rather plain affairs of grated
> vegetables with a few other flavors. As Julie Sahni points out in her
> excellent cookbook _Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking_,
> chutneys that contain large chunks of fruits or vegetables, like Major
> Grey's and most of those included here, might be considered pickles in
> India."
>
> So Barb, if you make a relish and CALL it a chutney, it's a chutney. :-)

I agree, Bob, that there is an endless variety of types of chutneys.
Somehow, though, I think the Fair judges will be looking for the more
typical "sweet/sour/spicy/chunky/pungent" type most commonly thought of as
chutney in the US.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-6, 08/13/2005
Tested on: 8/13/2005 8:22:17 AM

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob"
> wrote:

> Okay, lemme chime in here, in reply to the original question. (It was
> Barb who started this, right? At least she didn't say she was making
> Alfredo Chutney!) Here's a quote from a really nifty book entitled
> _Salsas, Sambals, Chutneys & Chowchows_:
>
> "Even in their home country of India, chutneys are a varied lot.
> They may be either raw or cooked, and range from chunky combinations
> of fruit, vegetables, and spices to rather plain affairs of grated
> vegetables with a few other flavors. As Julie Sahni points out in
> her excellent cookbook _Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking_,
> chutneys that contain large chunks of fruits or vegetables, like
> Major Grey's and most of those included here, might be considered
> pickles in India."

> So Barb, if you make a relish and CALL it a chutney, it's a chutney. :-)
>
> Bob

Oh, brother! I was hoping to hear from Shankar and I get you instead.
"-) Thanks. So my chunky peach apricot chutney is a pickle? The Fair
folks use the same scorecard criteria for pickles and relishes. See,
now? Wasn't this a nice thread? No name calling, a little humor.
"Can't we all just get along?"
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Bob

Barb wrote:

> See, now? Wasn't this a nice thread? No name calling, a little humor.
> "Can't we all just get along?"

What kinda comment was that? Are you a WOP or something???? :-)

(Hey, if WOP stands for "Wildly Odd Person," maybe *I* qualify!)

Bob

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob"
> wrote:

> Barb wrote:
>
> > See, now? Wasn't this a nice thread? No name calling, a little humor.
> > "Can't we all just get along?"

> What kinda comment was that? Are you a WOP or something???? :-)
>
> (Hey, if WOP stands for "Wildly Odd Person," maybe *I* qualify!)
>
> Bob

Smartass. <grin>
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >, "Bob"
> > wrote:
>
> > Okay, lemme chime in here, in reply to the original question. (It was
> > Barb who started this, right? At least she didn't say she was making
> > Alfredo Chutney!) Here's a quote from a really nifty book entitled
> > _Salsas, Sambals, Chutneys & Chowchows_:
> >
> > "Even in their home country of India, chutneys are a varied lot.
> > They may be either raw or cooked, and range from chunky combinations
> > of fruit, vegetables, and spices to rather plain affairs of grated
> > vegetables with a few other flavors. As Julie Sahni points out in
> > her excellent cookbook _Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking_,
> > chutneys that contain large chunks of fruits or vegetables, like
> > Major Grey's and most of those included here, might be considered
> > pickles in India."

> > So Barb, if you make a relish and CALL it a chutney, it's a chutney. :-)
> >
> > Bob

> Oh, brother! I was hoping to hear from Shankar and I get you instead.

Hey, I DID hear from Shankar. Sure do miss his wit and writing.

"I am afraid that I am about to give you the usual non-responsive
non-answer answer that people get from me on subjects like this.

I have no idea what makes salsa salsa. However, it is my belief that
many salsas would classify just fine as condiment chutneys. However,
they are not South Asian dishes, so I have no opinion on how they
should be classified. A pico de gallo, by the way, is completely
indistinguishable from a western-Indian kachumber, which many Indians
would regard as a fresh kinda-sorta condiment chutney.

As to chutneys:

Asking for my knowledge on the subject is not really useful, since all
I have on the subject is bigotry or revealed truth, depending on one's
point of view.

I think the search for classification of vaguely-defined dish like a
chutney is not very profitable. In general, I would say a dish is a
chutney if a chutney-making community which makes it says it is a
chutney. The definition needs the context. Without the context arguing
about these things is pointless.

Consider most things which occidentals call chutneys. Most of those are
crimes against nature, as viewed from the context of this member of a
chutney-making community.

A well-made cranberry sauce, however, is a fine chutney, except that
occidentals don't call it one. It would go fine with a few puris at the
end of an Indian meal. I have made cranberry sauces as formal chutneys
and my highly opinionated food-enthusiast relatives accept it as a
perfectly good dessert chutney."

I like his stance that a chutney is defined by a chutney-making
community.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Peter Aitken

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> Hey, I DID hear from Shankar. Sure do miss his wit and writing.
>
> "I am afraid that I am about to give you the usual non-responsive
> non-answer answer that people get from me on subjects like this.
>
> I have no idea what makes salsa salsa. However, it is my belief that
> many salsas would classify just fine as condiment chutneys. However,
> they are not South Asian dishes, so I have no opinion on how they
> should be classified. A pico de gallo, by the way, is completely
> indistinguishable from a western-Indian kachumber, which many Indians
> would regard as a fresh kinda-sorta condiment chutney.
>
> As to chutneys:
>
> Asking for my knowledge on the subject is not really useful, since all
> I have on the subject is bigotry or revealed truth, depending on one's
> point of view.
>
> I think the search for classification of vaguely-defined dish like a
> chutney is not very profitable. In general, I would say a dish is a
> chutney if a chutney-making community which makes it says it is a
> chutney. The definition needs the context. Without the context arguing
> about these things is pointless.
>
> Consider most things which occidentals call chutneys. Most of those are
> crimes against nature, as viewed from the context of this member of a
> chutney-making community.
>
> A well-made cranberry sauce, however, is a fine chutney, except that
> occidentals don't call it one. It would go fine with a few puris at the
> end of an Indian meal. I have made cranberry sauces as formal chutneys
> and my highly opinionated food-enthusiast relatives accept it as a
> perfectly good dessert chutney."
>
> I like his stance that a chutney is defined by a chutney-making
> community.

Isn't chutney defined by what you do with it? I have always defined chutney
as a condiment that accompanies an Indian meal. Thus if I make raita and eat
it with a curry it is a chutney, but if I eat some on its own as a snack it
is not.

--
Peter Aitken

Chutney [email protected] General Cooking 4 22-11-2010 12:41 PM
Chutney dido22 Diabetic 3 15-08-2009 05:10 AM
Chutney? Railfanner Preserving 0 09-07-2009 03:36 AM
Chutney Nancree General Cooking 0 17-08-2004 08:42 AM
New chutney Philip Edwards Diabetic 9 28-06-2004 02:44 PM