William R. Watt

Default double boiler juice extractor?

I am thinking of looking for an old double boiler at this fall's
rummage sales to use as a jelly juice extractor instead of messing
with hanging up jelly bags. The idea is to punch holes in the
bottom of the upper pot and lay a piece of cloth in it to act as a
filtre.

Lacking a pointy bottom it might not be as efficient as a jelly
bag and I would not recommend it for someone who is going out and
buying fruit and berries, but for the abundant wild fruit and
berries I collect a little inefficiency would not matter, and it
would be easier to work with than a jelly bag.

I've already tried this with a large enamel double boiler type juice
extractor I rescued (salvaged) from someone's yard on garbage day a few
years ago. I looked brand new, never used, and a shame to dump in the land
fill. I didn't know what it was for but I put it away thiking I might find
a use for it some day. The top container is about 5 gallons with holes in
the bottom. The bottom container is maybe 2 gallons with a spigot. I tried
it this year, laying a folded tea towel in the bottom of the top
container, filling it about 1/3 with steaming hot mashed red sumac
berries, and getting 6 cups of juice. The berries were heated and mashed a
second time and put into this contraption again, yielding another 8 cups
of juice.

The enamel contraption seems to work but it's too big for the smaller
quantities I normally work with, which is why I'm going to try a smaller
version made out of a double boiler.

I was wondering if anyone uses a smaller version of this type of
juice extractor.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Puester

"William R. Watt" wrote:

> I've already tried this with a large enamel double boiler type juice
> extractor I rescued (salvaged) from someone's yard on garbage day a few
> years ago. I looked brand new, never used, and a shame to dump in the land
> fill. I didn't know what it was for but I put it away thiking I might find
> a use for it some day.

That sounds EXACTLY like what is sold in New England as
a clamboil steamer kettle.

gloria p
Puester

"William R. Watt" wrote:

> I've already tried this with a large enamel double boiler type juice
> extractor I rescued (salvaged) from someone's yard on garbage day a few
> years ago. I looked brand new, never used, and a shame to dump in the land
> fill. I didn't know what it was for but I put it away thiking I might find
> a use for it some day.

That sounds EXACTLY like what is sold in New England as
a clamboil steamer kettle.

gloria p
William R. Watt

Puester ) writes:
> "William R. Watt" wrote:
>
>> I've already tried this with a large enamel double boiler type juice
>> extractor I rescued (salvaged) from someone's yard on garbage day a few
>> years ago. I looked brand new, never used, and a shame to dump in the land
>> fill. I didn't know what it was for but I put it away thiking I might find
>> a use for it some day.

> That sounds EXACTLY like what is sold in New England as
> a clamboil steamer kettle.

Interesting. It was discarded in Ottawa by a family from Halifax. I can
imagine putting water in the bottom to steam something in the top but
can't imagine why the bottom has a costly stainless steel ball valve
spigot. I can imagine wanting to add more water so it doesn't boil dry,
but not why water would be drawn off.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Puester

"William R. Watt" wrote:

> Puester ) writes:
> > "William R. Watt" wrote:
> >
> >> I've already tried this with a large enamel double boiler type juice
> >> extractor I rescued (salvaged) from someone's yard on garbage day a few
> >> years ago. I looked brand new, never used, and a shame to dump in the land
> >> fill. I didn't know what it was for but I put it away thiking I might find
> >> a use for it some day.

> > That sounds EXACTLY like what is sold in New England as
> > a clamboil steamer kettle.

> Interesting. It was discarded in Ottawa by a family from Halifax. I can
> imagine putting water in the bottom to steam something in the top but
> can't imagine why the bottom has a costly stainless steel ball valve
> spigot. I can imagine wanting to add more water so it doesn't boil dry,
> but not why water would be drawn off.
>
> --

What is drawn off is no longer water, but clam broth
which is used to swish the shelled clams in to remove
any traces of sand before dipping them in butter.

gloria p

Puester

"William R. Watt" wrote:

> Puester ) writes:
> > "William R. Watt" wrote:
> >
> >> I've already tried this with a large enamel double boiler type juice
> >> extractor I rescued (salvaged) from someone's yard on garbage day a few
> >> years ago. I looked brand new, never used, and a shame to dump in the land
> >> fill. I didn't know what it was for but I put it away thiking I might find
> >> a use for it some day.

> > That sounds EXACTLY like what is sold in New England as
> > a clamboil steamer kettle.

> Interesting. It was discarded in Ottawa by a family from Halifax. I can
> imagine putting water in the bottom to steam something in the top but
> can't imagine why the bottom has a costly stainless steel ball valve
> spigot. I can imagine wanting to add more water so it doesn't boil dry,
> but not why water would be drawn off.
>
> --

What is drawn off is no longer water, but clam broth
which is used to swish the shelled clams in to remove
any traces of sand before dipping them in butter.

gloria p
Faye

William take a look at this steam juice extractor and see if this is what
you have. If so I think you might have a piece of it missing. I have one
just exactly like this one and mine has four pieces to it, three pans and
the lid. It may be entirely different from yours.
Faye

http://www-podunk.com/

"William R. Watt" > wrote in message

> I am thinking of looking for an old double boiler at this fall's
> rummage sales to use as a jelly juice extractor instead of messing
> with hanging up jelly bags. The idea is to punch holes in the
> bottom of the upper pot and lay a piece of cloth in it to act as a
> filtre.
> I've already tried this with a large enamel double boiler type juice
> extractor I rescued (salvaged) from someone's yard on garbage day a few
> years ago. I looked brand new, never used, and a shame to dump in the land
> fill. I didn't know what it was for but I put it away thiking I might find
> a use for it some day. The top container is about 5 gallons with holes in
> the bottom. The bottom container is maybe 2 gallons with a spigot. I tried
> it this year, laying a folded tea towel in the bottom of the top
> container, filling it about 1/3 with steaming hot mashed red sumac
> berries, and getting 6 cups of juice. The berries were heated and mashed a
> second time and put into this contraption again, yielding another 8 cups
> of juice.
>
> The enamel contraption seems to work but it's too big for the smaller
> quantities I normally work with, which is why I'm going to try a smaller
> version made out of a double boiler.
>
> I was wondering if anyone uses a smaller version of this type of
> juice extractor.

zxcvbob

Faye wrote:

> William take a look at this steam juice extractor and see if this is what
> you have. If so I think you might have a piece of it missing. I have one
> just exactly like this one and mine has four pieces to it, three pans and
> the lid. It may be entirely different from yours.
> Faye
>

> http://www-podunk.com/

I have that exact juicer (not sure if it's the 8 L or the 10 L). I
don't like mine and have been considering selling it. I get a lot
better juice by boiling the fruit and squeezing with a muslin jelly bag.

Bob
Deb

This is like mine, except I think mine is a Presto or some such brand. I
use it a lot and like it, now I've figured how to use it. The temp needs to
be real low, and occasional stirring of the fruit helps too. A friend
drains off the juice in about 3 batches and mixes them together so it is
consistent. I use less fruit and only have to drain it once. It's also
great for steaming a big batch of tamales or corn on the cob...

William said his is enamel. Makes me think his is like my Dads. But, I bet
you're right, Faye, and he's missing the bottom (water holding) pan. On
Dads, the hose threads through the juice collector and it is a pain to check
juice level or water level. I'm wondering why he thought he needed a cloth
filter? Sumac berries are small, but I rarely have raspberry seeds go
through the holes in mine, and I stir them up a few times.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET. NWF habitat #32964

"Faye" > wrote in message
> William take a look at this steam juice extractor and see if this is what
> you have. If so I think you might have a piece of it missing. I have one
> just exactly like this one and mine has four pieces to it, three pans and
> the lid. It may be entirely different from yours.
> Faye
>

> http://www-podunk.com/
>

> "William R. Watt" > wrote in message
> >

> > I am thinking of looking for an old double boiler at this fall's
> > rummage sales to use as a jelly juice extractor instead of messing
> > with hanging up jelly bags. The idea is to punch holes in the
> > bottom of the upper pot and lay a piece of cloth in it to act as a
> > filtre.
> > I've already tried this with a large enamel double boiler type juice
> > extractor I rescued (salvaged) from someone's yard on garbage day a few
> > years ago. I looked brand new, never used, and a shame to dump in the

land
> > fill. I didn't know what it was for but I put it away thiking I might

find
> > a use for it some day. The top container is about 5 gallons with holes

in
> > the bottom. The bottom container is maybe 2 gallons with a spigot. I

tried
> > it this year, laying a folded tea towel in the bottom of the top
> > container, filling it about 1/3 with steaming hot mashed red sumac
> > berries, and getting 6 cups of juice. The berries were heated and mashed

> > second time and put into this contraption again, yielding another 8 cups
> > of juice.
> >
> > The enamel contraption seems to work but it's too big for the smaller
> > quantities I normally work with, which is why I'm going to try a smaller
> > version made out of a double boiler.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone uses a smaller version of this type of
> > juice extractor.

bonjour double boiler timbrel Cooking Equipment 5 27-01-2008 01:46 PM
Double boiler bread --keven. Sourdough 4 19-12-2006 05:40 PM
double boiler recipes [email protected] Cooking Equipment 0 08-01-2006 09:57 PM
double boiler fhapgood Cooking Equipment 8 16-01-2005 09:04 PM
Uses for the Visions double boiler insert? plums Cooking Equipment 4 01-01-2004 11:56 PM