double boiler juice extractor?

Old 07-09-2004, 04:53 PM
William R. Watt
Usenet poster

Default double boiler juice extractor?

I am thinking of looking for an old double boiler at this fall's
rummage sales to use as a jelly juice extractor instead of messing
with hanging up jelly bags. The idea is to punch holes in the
bottom of the upper pot and lay a piece of cloth in it to act as a
filtre.

Lacking a pointy bottom it might not be as efficient as a jelly
bag and I would not recommend it for someone who is going out and
buying fruit and berries, but for the abundant wild fruit and
berries I collect a little inefficiency would not matter, and it
would be easier to work with than a jelly bag.

I've already tried this with a large enamel double boiler type juice
extractor I rescued (salvaged) from someone's yard on garbage day a few
years ago. I looked brand new, never used, and a shame to dump in the land
fill. I didn't know what it was for but I put it away thiking I might find
a use for it some day. The top container is about 5 gallons with holes in
the bottom. The bottom container is maybe 2 gallons with a spigot. I tried
it this year, laying a folded tea towel in the bottom of the top
container, filling it about 1/3 with steaming hot mashed red sumac
berries, and getting 6 cups of juice. The berries were heated and mashed a
second time and put into this contraption again, yielding another 8 cups
of juice.

The enamel contraption seems to work but it's too big for the smaller
quantities I normally work with, which is why I'm going to try a smaller
version made out of a double boiler.

I was wondering if anyone uses a smaller version of this type of
juice extractor.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old 07-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Puester
Usenet poster

"William R. Watt" wrote:

I've already tried this with a large enamel double boiler type juice
extractor I rescued (salvaged) from someone's yard on garbage day a few
years ago. I looked brand new, never used, and a shame to dump in the land
fill. I didn't know what it was for but I put it away thiking I might find
a use for it some day.

That sounds EXACTLY like what is sold in New England as
a clamboil steamer kettle.

gloria p

Old 08-09-2004, 03:39 PM
William R. Watt
Usenet poster

Puester ) writes:
"William R. Watt" wrote:

I've already tried this with a large enamel double boiler type juice
extractor I rescued (salvaged) from someone's yard on garbage day a few
years ago. I looked brand new, never used, and a shame to dump in the land
fill. I didn't know what it was for but I put it away thiking I might find
a use for it some day.

That sounds EXACTLY like what is sold in New England as
a clamboil steamer kettle.

Interesting. It was discarded in Ottawa by a family from Halifax. I can
imagine putting water in the bottom to steam something in the top but
can't imagine why the bottom has a costly stainless steel ball valve
spigot. I can imagine wanting to add more water so it doesn't boil dry,
but not why water would be drawn off.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old 08-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Puester
Usenet poster

"William R. Watt" wrote:

--

What is drawn off is no longer water, but clam broth
which is used to swish the shelled clams in to remove

gloria p

Old 23-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Faye
Usenet poster

William take a look at this steam juice extractor and see if this is what
you have. If so I think you might have a piece of it missing. I have one
just exactly like this one and mine has four pieces to it, three pans and
the lid. It may be entirely different from yours.
Faye

http://www-podunk.com/

Old 23-02-2005, 07:47 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

Faye wrote:

William take a look at this steam juice extractor and see if this is what
you have. If so I think you might have a piece of it missing. I have one
just exactly like this one and mine has four pieces to it, three pans and
the lid. It may be entirely different from yours.
Faye

http://www-podunk.com/

I have that exact juicer (not sure if it's the 8 L or the 10 L). I
don't like mine and have been considering selling it. I get a lot
better juice by boiling the fruit and squeezing with a muslin jelly bag.

Bob
Old 24-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Deb
Usenet poster

This is like mine, except I think mine is a Presto or some such brand. I
use it a lot and like it, now I've figured how to use it. The temp needs to
be real low, and occasional stirring of the fruit helps too. A friend
drains off the juice in about 3 batches and mixes them together so it is
consistent. I use less fruit and only have to drain it once. It's also
great for steaming a big batch of tamales or corn on the cob...

William said his is enamel. Makes me think his is like my Dads. But, I bet
you're right, Faye, and he's missing the bottom (water holding) pan. On
Dads, the hose threads through the juice collector and it is a pain to check
juice level or water level. I'm wondering why he thought he needed a cloth
filter? Sumac berries are small, but I rarely have raspberry seeds go
through the holes in mine, and I stir them up a few times.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET. NWF habitat #32964