Ranee Mueller

Default Safe BWB Pumpkin Recipes?

We have quite a few pumpkins growing in our patch. We usually make
pumpkin pies in the fall with our pumpkins, and our eldest son has
requested pumpkin soup for his birthday (Oct. 8), but we have enough to
put some pumpkin up as well. I was thinking along the lines of a spiced
pumpkin preserve, pumpkin pickle or pumpkin butter. We'll also freeze
some pumpkin puree for more pies. I remember something about safety
issues with canning pumpkin, could someone fill me in? Thank you!

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
zxcvbob

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> We have quite a few pumpkins growing in our patch. We usually make
> pumpkin pies in the fall with our pumpkins, and our eldest son has
> requested pumpkin soup for his birthday (Oct. 8), but we have enough to
> put some pumpkin up as well. I was thinking along the lines of a spiced
> pumpkin preserve, pumpkin pickle or pumpkin butter. We'll also freeze
> some pumpkin puree for more pies. I remember something about safety
> issues with canning pumpkin, could someone fill me in? Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I can't find my canning books, but canned pumpkin has to be doneh in
chunks and not pureed. And pressure processed. I usually freeze it
instead of canning.

I've seen pumpkin butter recipes that have a lot of sugar and orange
juice in them that say to process in a boiling water bath, but I
wouldn't trust that.

Pickles are obvously no problem at all. (got a good pumpkin pickle recipe?)

Bob
zxcvbob

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> We have quite a few pumpkins growing in our patch. We usually make
> pumpkin pies in the fall with our pumpkins, and our eldest son has
> requested pumpkin soup for his birthday (Oct. 8), but we have enough to
> put some pumpkin up as well. I was thinking along the lines of a spiced
> pumpkin preserve, pumpkin pickle or pumpkin butter. We'll also freeze
> some pumpkin puree for more pies. I remember something about safety
> issues with canning pumpkin, could someone fill me in? Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I can't find my canning books, but canned pumpkin has to be doneh in
chunks and not pureed. And pressure processed. I usually freeze it
instead of canning.

I've seen pumpkin butter recipes that have a lot of sugar and orange
juice in them that say to process in a boiling water bath, but I
wouldn't trust that.

Pickles are obvously no problem at all. (got a good pumpkin pickle recipe?)

Bob
zxcvbob

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> We have quite a few pumpkins growing in our patch. We usually make
> pumpkin pies in the fall with our pumpkins, and our eldest son has
> requested pumpkin soup for his birthday (Oct. 8), but we have enough to
> put some pumpkin up as well. I was thinking along the lines of a spiced
> pumpkin preserve, pumpkin pickle or pumpkin butter. We'll also freeze
> some pumpkin puree for more pies. I remember something about safety
> issues with canning pumpkin, could someone fill me in? Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I can't find my canning books, but canned pumpkin has to be doneh in
chunks and not pureed. And pressure processed. I usually freeze it
instead of canning.

I've seen pumpkin butter recipes that have a lot of sugar and orange
juice in them that say to process in a boiling water bath, but I
wouldn't trust that.

Pickles are obvously no problem at all. (got a good pumpkin pickle recipe?)

Bob
Ranee Mueller

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> I can't find my canning books, but canned pumpkin has to be doneh in
> chunks and not pureed. And pressure processed. I usually freeze it
> instead of canning.

This is kind of what I remembered, but I was thinking along the lines
of chunks of pumpkin in lots of brown sugar and vinegar, with a little
lemon juice added, spices, kind of like a sweet pickle or chutney (not
quite because no onion/garlic, sweet spices, no pepper, etc). I read
something in a book about pumpkin preserves tasting like autumn, and it
captured my imagination.

> I've seen pumpkin butter recipes that have a lot of sugar and orange
> juice in them that say to process in a boiling water bath, but I
> wouldn't trust that.

This is my inclination also, but I remember reading recipes here last
fall for pumpkin butter.

> Pickles are obvously no problem at all. (got a good pumpkin pickle
> recipe?)

Nope. If anyone else does, I'm more interested in sour pickle here
rather than sweet. Thanks!

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24

Ranee Mueller

In article >, zxcvbob