Vioxel

Default Pumpkin prep and recipes?

I asked my friend to pick up some pumpkin for a recipe. I expected to
see a tin can of pre-processed pumpkin mush.

Instead, I am the proud owner of what must be 25-30 pounds of raw,
whole pumpkin. This thing is about 4 times the size of my head.

It was apparently cheaper than the can. :-)

So what do I do with this monstrous honking gourd? How do I turn it
into the nice mush? And, since I have way more of it than I expected,
does anyone have any good recipes?

And where else can I use the phrase "monstrous honking gourd?" I like
it.

Thanks and hugs all.

-Vioxel

pamitySpam
Just remove all the spam and such.
MrFalafel

Vioxel > wrote in message >. ..
> I asked my friend to pick up some pumpkin for a recipe. I expected to
> see a tin can of pre-processed pumpkin mush.
>
> Instead, I am the proud owner of what must be 25-30 pounds of raw,
> whole pumpkin. This thing is about 4 times the size of my head.
>
> It was apparently cheaper than the can. :-)
>
> So what do I do with this monstrous honking gourd? How do I turn it
> into the nice mush? And, since I have way more of it than I expected,
> does anyone have any good recipes?
>
> And where else can I use the phrase "monstrous honking gourd?" I like
> it.
>
> Thanks and hugs all.
>
> -Vioxel
>
> pamitySpam
> Just remove all the spam and such.

I think I saw Monstrous Honking Gourd open for the Stone Temple Pilots
at the Fillmore in the mid '90s...

You can make your own pumpkin puree by following the instructions on
this link:
http://www.pastrywiz.com/thanksgiving/pumkpin.htm

I will also now repost a selection of pumpkin recipes for your
amusement.
T5NF

Mr.Falafel wrote:
<snip>
>You can make your own pumpkin puree by following the instructions on
>this link:
>http://www.pastrywiz.com/thanksgiving/pumkpin.htm

Good link! However, I find it easier (or maybe I should say safer ;-)) to
de-seed/string pumpkin (or any winter squash) by using a large-ish metal spoon
rather than a knife.

You can also peel (pretty time consuming if it's large), dice & boil the
pumpkin, then drain & puree but this method requires a second draining after
the processing for a really nice thick puree.

Cheers,

Fritz