nutNhoney

Default Canned Roast Beef Questions

I have several roasts in the freezer but couldn't pass by a grocery
special this morning for a small rib roast. My intentions at the time
were to cook it today then cut it into meal size servings and add
vegetables to make up a few quick frozen meals. However, the BBB
indicates that roast can be canned and I'm itching to muss with the
pressure canner. It's cool, cloudy, and rainy making it a perfect day
for canning if the garden would only co-operate <very big pout>.

Has anyone here canned roast beef? If so, I have a few questions. What
is the finished product like? What do you use it for? Do you just
re-heat it and use is as if it was cooked then froze? Can I add spices
such as Montreal Steak Spice instead of just salt? TIA
zxcvbob

nutNhoney wrote:
> I have several roasts in the freezer but couldn't pass by a grocery
> special this morning for a small rib roast. My intentions at the time
> were to cook it today then cut it into meal size servings and add
> vegetables to make up a few quick frozen meals. However, the BBB
> indicates that roast can be canned and I'm itching to muss with the
> pressure canner. It's cool, cloudy, and rainy making it a perfect day
> for canning if the garden would only co-operate <very big pout>.
>
> Has anyone here canned roast beef? If so, I have a few questions. What
> is the finished product like? What do you use it for? Do you just
> re-heat it and use is as if it was cooked then froze? Can I add spices
> such as Montreal Steak Spice instead of just salt? TIA

You're gonna can a *rib roast* ??? O, the horrors!

I've canned stew meat before, cut from the lean part of a brisket. I
browned the meat first, but not cooked all the way through. Packed in
pint jars and covered with weak broth made by deglazing the pan with
water and bouillon. Processed whatever 60+ minutes it says in the BBB.

The meat was overcooked, of course, and the chucks would fall apart a
little when you dumped them out of the jars. A finer grained meat (like
round or chuck) would probably hold together better. The canned meat
was good for quick meals by making a gravy with the juice, heating the
meat in the gravy, and serving over something starchy. Use you
imagination when making the gravy -- add sour cream or tomato paste or...

I've also used a couple of jars when making chili with ground meat to
add some different textured meat.

I thought the canned meat had a faint fishy taste to it that was odd but
not unpleasant.

Bob
zxcvbob

nutNhoney wrote:
> I have several roasts in the freezer but couldn't pass by a grocery
> special this morning for a small rib roast. My intentions at the time
> were to cook it today then cut it into meal size servings and add
> vegetables to make up a few quick frozen meals. However, the BBB
> indicates that roast can be canned and I'm itching to muss with the
> pressure canner. It's cool, cloudy, and rainy making it a perfect day
> for canning if the garden would only co-operate <very big pout>.
>
> Has anyone here canned roast beef? If so, I have a few questions. What
> is the finished product like? What do you use it for? Do you just
> re-heat it and use is as if it was cooked then froze? Can I add spices
> such as Montreal Steak Spice instead of just salt? TIA

You're gonna can a *rib roast* ??? O, the horrors!

I've canned stew meat before, cut from the lean part of a brisket. I
browned the meat first, but not cooked all the way through. Packed in
pint jars and covered with weak broth made by deglazing the pan with
water and bouillon. Processed whatever 60+ minutes it says in the BBB.

The meat was overcooked, of course, and the chucks would fall apart a
little when you dumped them out of the jars. A finer grained meat (like
round or chuck) would probably hold together better. The canned meat
was good for quick meals by making a gravy with the juice, heating the
meat in the gravy, and serving over something starchy. Use you
imagination when making the gravy -- add sour cream or tomato paste or...

I've also used a couple of jars when making chili with ground meat to
add some different textured meat.

I thought the canned meat had a faint fishy taste to it that was odd but
not unpleasant.

Bob
Blanche Nonken

nutNhoney > wrote:

> Has anyone here canned roast beef? If so, I have a few questions. What
> is the finished product like? What do you use it for? Do you just
> re-heat it and use is as if it was cooked then froze? Can I add spices
> such as Montreal Steak Spice instead of just salt? TIA

Me, me, me!

I sliced it thin, then canned it in clear broth. I used it for
sandwiches, yep, reheat and use as is. Since I did leftover meat the
first time, I prefer it to frozen leftovers, as the freezing seems to
make the meat stringier.
Blanche Nonken

nutNhoney > wrote:

> Has anyone here canned roast beef? If so, I have a few questions. What
> is the finished product like? What do you use it for? Do you just
> re-heat it and use is as if it was cooked then froze? Can I add spices
> such as Montreal Steak Spice instead of just salt? TIA

Me, me, me!

I sliced it thin, then canned it in clear broth. I used it for
sandwiches, yep, reheat and use as is. Since I did leftover meat the
first time, I prefer it to frozen leftovers, as the freezing seems to
make the meat stringier.

Gary S.

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 04:10:41 GMT, Blanche Nonken >
wrote:

>nutNhoney > wrote:
>
>> Has anyone here canned roast beef? If so, I have a few questions. What
>> is the finished product like? What do you use it for? Do you just
>> re-heat it and use is as if it was cooked then froze? Can I add spices
>> such as Montreal Steak Spice instead of just salt? TIA

>Me, me, me!
>
>I sliced it thin, then canned it in clear broth. I used it for
>sandwiches, yep, reheat and use as is. Since I did leftover meat the
>first time, I prefer it to frozen leftovers, as the freezing seems to
>make the meat stringier.

Commercially, I have seen at the supermarket cans of roast beef hash,
shredded roast beef and diced potatoes, instead of using the far more
common corned beef hash.

Actually, I liked it better than the regular corned beef hash, last I
tried it. A home made version could have the salt at a reasonable
level.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
nutNhoney

Blanche Nonken wrote:

> nutNhoney > wrote:
>

>>Has anyone here canned roast beef? If so, I have a few questions. What
>>is the finished product like? What do you use it for? Do you just
>>re-heat it and use is as if it was cooked then froze? Can I add spices
>>such as Montreal Steak Spice instead of just salt? TIA

> Me, me, me!
>
> I sliced it thin, then canned it in clear broth. I used it for
> sandwiches, yep, reheat and use as is. Since I did leftover meat the
> first time, I prefer it to frozen leftovers, as the freezing seems to
> make the meat stringier.

Thanks! I am going to try it and see what happens with a different
roast as DH got to this one.
nutNhoney

zxcvbob wrote:

> nutNhoney wrote:
>
>> I have several roasts in the freezer but couldn't pass by a grocery
>> special this morning for a small rib roast. My intentions at the time
>> were to cook it today then cut it into meal size servings and add
>> vegetables to make up a few quick frozen meals. However, the BBB
>> indicates that roast can be canned and I'm itching to muss with the
>> pressure canner. It's cool, cloudy, and rainy making it a perfect day
>> for canning if the garden would only co-operate <very big pout>.
>>
>> Has anyone here canned roast beef? If so, I have a few questions.
>> What is the finished product like? What do you use it for? Do you
>> just re-heat it and use is as if it was cooked then froze? Can I add
>> spices such as Montreal Steak Spice instead of just salt? TIA

> You're gonna can a *rib roast* ??? O, the horrors!

Nope, this one was saved as DH walked in the door from a day of golfing
and was famished. He was "supposed" to be eating with his golfing
buddies but decided to come home instead. Not that I don't enjoy his
company but I had plans for that roast!

> I've canned stew meat before, cut from the lean part of a brisket. I
> browned the meat first, but not cooked all the way through. Packed in
> pint jars and covered with weak broth made by deglazing the pan with
> water and bouillon. Processed whatever 60+ minutes it says in the BBB.
>
> The meat was overcooked, of course, and the chucks would fall apart a
> little when you dumped them out of the jars. A finer grained meat (like
> round or chuck) would probably hold together better. The canned meat
> was good for quick meals by making a gravy with the juice, heating the
> meat in the gravy, and serving over something starchy. Use you
> imagination when making the gravy -- add sour cream or tomato paste or...
>
> I've also used a couple of jars when making chili with ground meat to
> add some different textured meat.

Thanks for the tips. I wasn't sure how to use it which I suspect is the
case for many things you hear about preserving.

> I thought the canned meat had a faint fishy taste to it that was odd but
> not unpleasant.
>
> Bob

Dwayne

When I was a kid, I used to go to my Grand mothers, and when they butchered
a beef, they canned most of it. At that time there was no more than an ice
box in the house, because there was no electricity except for a wind
charger.

Her canned beef was the best tasting I have ever eaten. I remember that she
would cut it into chunks like stew meat, and when it cooled after canning,
there was about 1.2 to 1 inch of fat on the top of the meat in the jar. She
made noodles or stew with it, and it tasted great.

My aunts don't remember what they used for seasoning, but it was great
tasting.

Dwayne

"nutNhoney" > wrote in message
> Blanche Nonken wrote:
>
> > nutNhoney > wrote:
> >

> >>Has anyone here canned roast beef? If so, I have a few questions. What
> >>is the finished product like? What do you use it for? Do you just
> >>re-heat it and use is as if it was cooked then froze? Can I add spices
> >>such as Montreal Steak Spice instead of just salt? TIA

> > Me, me, me!
> >
> > I sliced it thin, then canned it in clear broth. I used it for
> > sandwiches, yep, reheat and use as is. Since I did leftover meat the
> > first time, I prefer it to frozen leftovers, as the freezing seems to
> > make the meat stringier.

> Thanks! I am going to try it and see what happens with a different
> roast as DH got to this one.

Dwayne

"nutNhoney" > wrote in message
> Blanche Nonken wrote:
>
> > nutNhoney > wrote:
> >

> >>Has anyone here canned roast beef? If so, I have a few questions. What
> >>is the finished product like? What do you use it for? Do you just
> >>re-heat it and use is as if it was cooked then froze? Can I add spices
> >>such as Montreal Steak Spice instead of just salt? TIA

> > Me, me, me!
> >
> > I sliced it thin, then canned it in clear broth. I used it for
> > sandwiches, yep, reheat and use as is. Since I did leftover meat the
> > first time, I prefer it to frozen leftovers, as the freezing seems to
> > make the meat stringier.

> Thanks! I am going to try it and see what happens with a different
> roast as DH got to this one.

George Shirley

Friends from Wyoming talked about their parents doing the same with
"Wyoming Beef" aka Waipiti or American Elk. Mostly seasoned with a
little salt and pepper from what they told me years ago.

George

Dwayne wrote:

> When I was a kid, I used to go to my Grand mothers, and when they butchered
> a beef, they canned most of it. At that time there was no more than an ice
> box in the house, because there was no electricity except for a wind
> charger.
>
> Her canned beef was the best tasting I have ever eaten. I remember that she
> would cut it into chunks like stew meat, and when it cooled after canning,
> there was about 1.2 to 1 inch of fat on the top of the meat in the jar. She
> made noodles or stew with it, and it tasted great.
>
> My aunts don't remember what they used for seasoning, but it was great
> tasting.
>
> Dwayne
>
> "nutNhoney" > wrote in message
>
>>Blanche Nonken wrote:

>>>Me, me, me!
>>>
>>>I sliced it thin, then canned it in clear broth. I used it for
>>>sandwiches, yep, reheat and use as is. Since I did leftover meat the
>>>first time, I prefer it to frozen leftovers, as the freezing seems to
>>>make the meat stringier.

>>Thanks! I am going to try it and see what happens with a different
>>roast as DH got to this one.

George Shirley

Dwayne wrote:

> When I was a kid, I used to go to my Grand mothers, and when they butchered
> a beef, they canned most of it. At that time there was no more than an ice
> box in the house, because there was no electricity except for a wind
> charger.
>
> Her canned beef was the best tasting I have ever eaten. I remember that she
> would cut it into chunks like stew meat, and when it cooled after canning,
> there was about 1.2 to 1 inch of fat on the top of the meat in the jar. She
> made noodles or stew with it, and it tasted great.
>
> My aunts don't remember what they used for seasoning, but it was great
> tasting.
>
> Dwayne
>
> "nutNhoney" > wrote in message
>
>>Blanche Nonken wrote:

>>>Me, me, me!
>>>
>>>I sliced it thin, then canned it in clear broth. I used it for
>>>sandwiches, yep, reheat and use as is. Since I did leftover meat the
>>>first time, I prefer it to frozen leftovers, as the freezing seems to
>>>make the meat stringier.

>>Thanks! I am going to try it and see what happens with a different
>>roast as DH got to this one.

Blanche Nonken

nutNhoney > wrote:

> Blanche Nonken wrote:
>
> > nutNhoney > wrote:
> >

> >>Has anyone here canned roast beef? If so, I have a few questions. What
> >>is the finished product like? What do you use it for? Do you just
> >>re-heat it and use is as if it was cooked then froze? Can I add spices
> >>such as Montreal Steak Spice instead of just salt? TIA

> > Me, me, me!
> >
> > I sliced it thin, then canned it in clear broth. I used it for
> > sandwiches, yep, reheat and use as is. Since I did leftover meat the
> > first time, I prefer it to frozen leftovers, as the freezing seems to
> > make the meat stringier.

> Thanks! I am going to try it and see what happens with a different
> roast as DH got to this one.

Oh, and you know that kind of roast where you simmer the meat in the
crock pot until it falls into tasty, fragrant shreds and broth? That
cans beautifully too. Now I'm wishing I had a jar of it left.