Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Default Questions of life-roast beef

What exactly is that green iridescent sheen on slices of roast beef?
I've seen it a million times at the work cafeteria and I dont buy their
beef anymore because it is repugnant to me, though apparently considered
edible. This wkend it was on the slices of roast beef bought at our
"premium" grocery store meat counter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 22, 7:52*pm, (z z) wrote:
> What exactly is that green iridescent sheen on slices of roast beef?
> I've seen it a million times at the work cafeteria and I dont buy their
> beef anymore because it is repugnant to me, though apparently considered
> edible. This wkend it was on the slices of roast beef bought at our
> "premium" grocery store meat counter.

Your tax dollars at work:

9. What causes iridescent colors on meats?
Meat contains iron, fat, and other compounds. When light hits a slice
of meat, it splits into colors like a rainbow. There are various
pigments in meat compounds that can give it an iridescent or greenish
cast when exposed to heat and processing. Wrapping the meat in
airtight packages and storing it away from light will help prevent
this situation. Iridescence does not represent decreased quality or
safety of the meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" > wrote in message
> What exactly is that green iridescent sheen on slices of roast beef?
> I've seen it a million times at the work cafeteria and I dont buy their
> beef anymore because it is repugnant to me, though apparently considered
> edible. This wkend it was on the slices of roast beef bought at our
> "premium" grocery store meat counter.

Good question. I have seen it on very expensive organic beef but didn't
know what it was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2012 8:52 PM, z z wrote:
> What exactly is that green iridescent sheen on slices of roast beef?
> I've seen it a million times at the work cafeteria and I dont buy their
> beef anymore because it is repugnant to me, though apparently considered
> edible. This wkend it was on the slices of roast beef bought at our
> "premium" grocery store meat counter.

A reply from Google/Yahoo from 2006:

"It means nothing. Its totally normal and its called birefringence.

Here's the deal. The cut surface of meat is pretty smooth. But, if you
look closely, you'll see it's actually a vast landscape of parallel
fibers. When cut, the reduced surface pressure coaxes microscopic beads
of moisture to the surface, each one of which acts as an independent
prism. When viewed in concert, they look like a rainbow."

gloria p