Melba's Jammin'

Default Me, Fleet Farm, and Steam Canners

When I bought Annie's BBB for her this afternoon at Fleet Farm, I
noticed that they're selling those dippy steam canners (Back To Basics
brand). I had a talk with the MOD and 'splained to him why I wish they
wouldn't sell them. He was interested. I also asked him who above his
level I should contact. He was a little insulted -- "I'm not good
enough?" -- but gave me the buyer information for the corporation
anyway. Good natured about all of it. I haven't called the buyer yet
but did submit this information to FF via their website. For your
reading pleasu

Dear Fleet Farm folks:
July 7, 2004
The purpose of this is to ask you to stop selling the Back To Basics
brand steam canner (about $35) that I saw this afternoon in the
Lakeville MN Fleet Farm store. That particular method of processing is
specifically NOT recommended by the folks at the National Center for
Home Food Preservation located at the University of Georgia. Here's the
link for their words on the subject. Note that those words are based on
the United States Department of Agriculture Information Bulletin No.
539, "Complete Guide to Home Canning."
<http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/general/equp_methods_not_recommended.html>
And the folks at Penn State University have included these posters in
their information for educators:
<http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/tools_exhibit-canning.html>

I don't know of any research-based information for safe processing times
using the steam canning process.

The USDA information is the gold standard for home food preservation; it
is what is taught by the University of Minnesota Extension Service and
countless other Cooperative Extension Services at universities
throughout the country. Please don't confuse "steam canner" or "steam
canning" with "steam pressure canner" or "pressure canning;" they are
not interchangeable terms.

When I spoke to the Assistant Manager of the Lakeville Store, Eric L (no
last name provided), his first response was that Fleet Farm tries to
meet the needs and wants of its customers. Well and good. His second
remark was something along the lines of "Well, it's manufactured for
sale." I regret that I don't remember his exact words on that one.
It's my strong belief that that argument for selling these canners
doesn't hold water. I don't know if he will follow up with you folks
about my request or not; I don't know the procedures in place.

The sale of safe home canning equipment should be of paramount interest
to you when you consider what food preserving merchandise you sell in
your stores.

Thank you for your attention and I look forward to your reply.
Barb Schaller
Burnsville MN
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

The Joneses

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> (clipped the righteous rant)

Go on girl, that's lettim' off some steam, hehehe. Didja get the spoons
out? Didja tellem' about the paraffin thing? Okay, one war at a time. I
picked up 4 cases of half pint jars at big lots for 4.99 a case. whoopee
Edrena

George Shirley

Well done Barb, well done indeed.

George

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> When I bought Annie's BBB for her this afternoon at Fleet Farm, I
> noticed that they're selling those dippy steam canners (Back To Basics
> brand). I had a talk with the MOD and 'splained to him why I wish they
> wouldn't sell them. He was interested. I also asked him who above his
> level I should contact. He was a little insulted -- "I'm not good
> enough?" -- but gave me the buyer information for the corporation
> anyway. Good natured about all of it. I haven't called the buyer yet
> but did submit this information to FF via their website. For your
> reading pleasu
>
> Dear Fleet Farm folks:
> July 7, 2004
> The purpose of this is to ask you to stop selling the Back To Basics
> brand steam canner (about $35) that I saw this afternoon in the
> Lakeville MN Fleet Farm store. That particular method of processing is
> specifically NOT recommended by the folks at the National Center for
> Home Food Preservation located at the University of Georgia. Here's the
> link for their words on the subject. Note that those words are based on
> the United States Department of Agriculture Information Bulletin No.
> 539, "Complete Guide to Home Canning."
> <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/general/equp_methods_not_recommended.html>
> And the folks at Penn State University have included these posters in
> their information for educators:
> <http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/tools_exhibit-canning.html>
>
> I don't know of any research-based information for safe processing times
> using the steam canning process.
>
> The USDA information is the gold standard for home food preservation; it
> is what is taught by the University of Minnesota Extension Service and
> countless other Cooperative Extension Services at universities
> throughout the country. Please don't confuse "steam canner" or "steam
> canning" with "steam pressure canner" or "pressure canning;" they are
> not interchangeable terms.
>
> When I spoke to the Assistant Manager of the Lakeville Store, Eric L (no
> last name provided), his first response was that Fleet Farm tries to
> meet the needs and wants of its customers. Well and good. His second
> remark was something along the lines of "Well, it's manufactured for
> sale." I regret that I don't remember his exact words on that one.
> It's my strong belief that that argument for selling these canners
> doesn't hold water. I don't know if he will follow up with you folks
> about my request or not; I don't know the procedures in place.
>
> The sale of safe home canning equipment should be of paramount interest
> to you when you consider what food preserving merchandise you sell in
> your stores.
>
> Thank you for your attention and I look forward to your reply.
> Barb Schaller
> Burnsville MN

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, The Joneses
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > (clipped the righteous rant)

> Go on girl, that's lettim' off some steam, hehehe. Didja get the spoons
> out? Didja tellem' about the paraffin thing? Okay, one war at a time. I
> picked up 4 cases of half pint jars at big lots for 4.99 a case. whoopee
> Edrena

Thanks. I thought I was pretty nice about it. I left the spoons at
home. I made an effort to be really nice to EricThe MOD when we
chatted. He actually seemed interested in my reasons. Yeah, they big
ol' blocks of parrafin, too, marked (the boxes were) for canning and
candlemaking. I let it go. Did I mention that I hate you guys and
your $5 cases of jars from Big Lots? FF's are now up to $6.17/case. I
bought three, but may not have to tap 'em for a few days -- and am
hoping that they're on sale NEXT week. Usually it's the end of June.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, The Joneses
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > (clipped the righteous rant)

> Go on girl, that's lettim' off some steam, hehehe. Didja get the spoons
> out? Didja tellem' about the paraffin thing? Okay, one war at a time. I
> picked up 4 cases of half pint jars at big lots for 4.99 a case. whoopee
> Edrena

Thanks. I thought I was pretty nice about it. I left the spoons at
home. I made an effort to be really nice to EricThe MOD when we
chatted. He actually seemed interested in my reasons. Yeah, they big
ol' blocks of parrafin, too, marked (the boxes were) for canning and
candlemaking. I let it go. Did I mention that I hate you guys and
your $5 cases of jars from Big Lots? FF's are now up to $6.17/case. I
bought three, but may not have to tap 'em for a few days -- and am
hoping that they're on sale NEXT week. Usually it's the end of June.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George
Shirley > wrote:

> Well done Barb, well done indeed.

Thanks.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George
Shirley > wrote:

> Well done Barb, well done indeed.

Thanks.

> George
>
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > When I bought Annie's BBB for her this afternoon at Fleet Farm, I
> > noticed that they're selling those dippy steam canners (Back To
> > Basics brand). I had a talk with the MOD and 'splained to him why
> > I wish they wouldn't sell them. (online message to FF snipped)

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Melba's Jammin'

Default Me, Fleet Farm, and Steam Canners - reply from FF

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> When I bought Annie's BBB for her this afternoon at Fleet Farm, I
> noticed that they're selling those dippy steam canners (Back To Basics
> brand). I had a talk with the MOD and 'splained to him why I wish they
> wouldn't sell them. He was interested. I also asked him who above his
> level I should contact. He was a little insulted -- "I'm not good
> enough?" -- but gave me the buyer information for the corporation
> anyway. Good natured about all of it. I haven't called the buyer yet
> but did submit this information to FF via their website. For your
> reading pleasu
>
> Dear Fleet Farm folks:
> July 7, 2004

(letter snipped)
> Thank you for your attention and I look forward to your reply.
> Barb Schaller
> Burnsville MN

Here's the auto-reply I received: "Thank you. Your input helps us serve
you better. Mills Fleet Farm" I can't wait to see if I hear from a
yuman bean.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> When I bought Annie's BBB for her this afternoon at Fleet Farm, I
> noticed that they're selling those dippy steam canners (Back To Basics
> brand). I had a talk with the MOD and 'splained to him why I wish they
> wouldn't sell them. He was interested. I also asked him who above his
> level I should contact. He was a little insulted -- "I'm not good
> enough?" -- but gave me the buyer information for the corporation
> anyway. Good natured about all of it. I haven't called the buyer yet
> but did submit this information to FF via their website. For your
> reading pleasu
>
> Dear Fleet Farm folks:
> July 7, 2004

(letter snipped)
> Thank you for your attention and I look forward to your reply.
> Barb Schaller
> Burnsville MN

Here's the auto-reply I received: "Thank you. Your input helps us serve
you better. Mills Fleet Farm" I can't wait to see if I hear from a
yuman bean.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Can I steam a pudding in a steam cooker? Karl Self General Cooking 2 28-08-2007 09:22 PM
Can I steam a pudding in a steam cooker? Charles Self General Cooking 5 28-08-2007 09:21 PM
The Salmon Fleet Dee Emm Sushi 0 26-03-2005 08:46 PM
The Salmon Fleet Dee Emm Sushi 0 26-03-2005 08:46 PM
Reply from Fleet Farm re steam canner Melba's Jammin' Preserving 2 17-07-2004 09:50 AM