Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Vinegar in the News

On a tangent to topic, but because it's one of "our" favorite ingredients:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0622103820.htm
or
http://tinyurl.com/lj7yll

I wonder what this means that I have seven kinds of vinegar on my shelves

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:
> On a tangent to topic, but because it's one of "our" favorite ingredients:
>
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0622103820.htm
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/lj7yll
>
> I wonder what this means that I have seven kinds of vinegar on my
> shelves
>
> B/

Wow! I've got seven kinds of vinegar on my shelves too. Great minds and
all that.

As to the claims on the article, the ancient Romans drank either heavily
watered wine or straight vinegar cut with water according to some texts.
All to fight drunkenness and sloth. Probably would work but who could
drink straight vinegar?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>> On a tangent to topic, but because it's one of "our" favorite
>> ingredients:
>>
>> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0622103820.htm or
>> http://tinyurl.com/lj7yll
>>
>> I wonder what this means that I have seven kinds of vinegar on my
>> shelves

> Wow! I've got seven kinds of vinegar on my shelves too. Great minds
> and all that.

The rocoto that I've had in my kitchen window (if you remember the Great
Rocoto Pepper Search of '08) is now setting flowers so I'll have
something to make the "pique" you've written about.

I should have said "at least seven kinds." Apple cider, white, red
wine, white wine, rice, blueberry, raspberry, balsamic (both cooking and
the real stuff), chinese black, sherry.... obviously the first four are
for preserving.

> As to the claims on the article, the ancient Romans drank either
> heavily watered wine or straight vinegar cut with water according to
> some texts. All to fight drunkenness and sloth. Probably would work
> but who could drink straight vinegar?

The real balsamic vinegar is often sipped in small glasses as a cordial.
Given the variability of naturally-produced vinegars, it's possible
the Romans had either stronger palates than "we" do, or the vinegar was
weaker. Slightly different, but my grandfather used to drink the brine
from the sours and half-sours "for the blood." Also, not straight
vinegar, but pretty close are the New English "shrubs" or
vinegar-with-fruit beverages.

B/

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
m...
> On a tangent to topic, but because it's one of "our" favorite ingredients:
>
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0622103820.htm
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/lj7yll
>
> I wonder what this means that I have seven kinds of vinegar on my shelves
>

> B/

It interesting because I've seen vinegar diets in the past. Never tried any
of them, though.