Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bulk canning lids

Ran across this web site today, seems reasonable on prices but I haven't
looked at shipping costs yet. Anyone order from them?

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Lids/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:00:10 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Ran across this web site today, seems reasonable on prices but I haven't
>looked at shipping costs yet. Anyone order from them?
>
>http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Lids/

Hello George,

I took a look at that site and I see their price is $1.34 per box. If
you buy a case of 60 boxes they still work out to $1.28 per box, plus
shipping. And, the optimum order size is 5 cases for UPS shipping.
3,600 lids would last a long time!
I guess we are still lucky in this area.
We were in town yesterday and Gerry checked out one of the local
Dollarama stores. She picked up another 10 boxes of Bernardin regular
lids for CAD $1.00 each. At the current rate of exchange that works
out to about USD $0.90 per box.
International shipping is a real killer. I just weighed 10 boxes of
lids, multiplied by 6 and checked Canada Post's web site for shipping
60 boxes to LA. What those bandits want for shipping would bring the
cost per box up to about USD $1.41 so I couldn't help you.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:00:10 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> Ran across this web site today, seems reasonable on prices but I haven't
>> looked at shipping costs yet. Anyone order from them?

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Lids/

> Hello George,
>
> I took a look at that site and I see their price is $1.34 per box. If
> you buy a case of 60 boxes they still work out to $1.28 per box, plus
> shipping. And, the optimum order size is 5 cases for UPS shipping.
> 3,600 lids would last a long time!
> I guess we are still lucky in this area.
> We were in town yesterday and Gerry checked out one of the local
> Dollarama stores. She picked up another 10 boxes of Bernardin regular
> lids for CAD $1.00 each. At the current rate of exchange that works
> out to about USD $0.90 per box.
> International shipping is a real killer. I just weighed 10 boxes of
> lids, multiplied by 6 and checked Canada Post's web site for shipping
> 60 boxes to LA. What those bandits want for shipping would bring the
> cost per box up to about USD $1.41 so I couldn't help you.
>
> Ross.

I had not checked their shipping costs as I wondered about the
reliability of their lids. Found some info on GardenWeb that indicates
they are reliable. Nowadays shipping costs often cost more than the
goods, I suspect someone is really making their profit from S&H costs
versus profit line on the merchandise.

Thanks anyway for thinking of me. The Dollar stores around here don't
have any real bargains on canning supplies. Neither does Walmart or the
regular supermarkets, even Big Lots has doubled the price on Golden
Harvest lids over last year's cost.

Used all but four of my regular lids today putting up a bunch of
raspberry fig jam, made with sugar free jello for flavoring, an old
sixties recipe the Texas Extension service handed out back then. My kids
and grandkids love the stuff and it tastes okay to us too.

I now have two pint jars left plus a case of half pints and a case of
four-ounce jars. Reckon it's a trip to Big Lots tomorrow to see if they
have any pints left. Would gladly trade four cases of quarts for two
cases of pints. <G>

Reusable Canning Lids Don S. Preserving 12 25-05-2012 07:36 PM
Lids in bulk Anny Middon Preserving 25 10-06-2009 04:16 AM
Lids For Canadian canners. Was: Lids in bulk George Shirley Preserving 2 22-05-2009 04:50 AM
Lids For Canadian canners. Was: Lids in bulk Kathi Jones Preserving 1 20-05-2009 03:48 PM
Survey On Canning Lids Mimi[_2_] Preserving 14 09-03-2009 12:04 PM