Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Reusable Canning Lids

Has anyone used the Tattler reusable canning lids? I am curious if they are
worth buying. Here's their link http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/

Don

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/19/2012 3:32 PM, Don S. wrote:
> Has anyone used the Tattler reusable canning lids? I am curious if they
> are worth buying. Here's their link http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/
>
> Don

Haven't seen the Tattler lids since the seventies and we didn't use them
then. Here's an interesting review,
http://www.rural-revolution.com/2010...ning-lids.html there
are many reviews on line, most I read said they were okay but you MUST
follow directions.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/19/2012 3:30 PM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 5/19/2012 3:32 PM, Don S. wrote:
>> Has anyone used the Tattler reusable canning lids? I am curious if they
>> are worth buying. Here's their link http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/
>>
>> Don

> Haven't seen the Tattler lids since the seventies and we didn't use them
> then. Here's an interesting review,
> http://www.rural-revolution.com/2010...ning-lids.html there
> are many reviews on line, most I read said they were okay but you MUST
> follow directions.

I read her review. Just my humble opinion:

I don't like the idea of the lids that are touching the product being
plastic. We keep hearing that many of the plastics that were once
touted as safe or inert are really harmful to humans on a cellular
level. Many of them leach unsafe compounds.

With the probable multiplier effect of the heat of processing and
the presence of an acid in the jars, I just don't trust plastic to
be long-term safe.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 19 May 2012 13:32:32 -0700, "Don S."
> wrote:

>Has anyone used the Tattler reusable canning lids? I am curious if they are
>worth buying. Here's their link http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/
>
>Don

Many years ago we bought about 6 or 8 dozen reusable lids similar in
design to the Tattler except the lids were stainless steel rather than
plastic.
At the time we thought what a great idea plus, they were on sale for
about half price. After our first attempt at canning using the new
lids, we had a pretty good idea of why they were on sale.
It was a real PITA trying to keep the rubber rings flat and in
position on the jar while putting on the screwbands. It slowed down
the whole process plus the seal failure rate was higher.
As much as I grump at the constantly increasing price of Bernardin's
one piece, single use lids, their frustration factor is much lower
than the stainless steel reusable lids we tried.
Just my opinion and, as always, YMMV.

Ross
Southern Ontario, Canada.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/19/2012 9:53 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 5/19/2012 3:30 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>> On 5/19/2012 3:32 PM, Don S. wrote:
>>> Has anyone used the Tattler reusable canning lids? I am curious if they
>>> are worth buying. Here's their link http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/
>>>
>>> Don

>> Haven't seen the Tattler lids since the seventies and we didn't use them
>> then. Here's an interesting review,
>> http://www.rural-revolution.com/2010...ning-lids.html there
>> are many reviews on line, most I read said they were okay but you MUST
>> follow directions.

> I read her review. Just my humble opinion:
>
> I don't like the idea of the lids that are touching the product being
> plastic. We keep hearing that many of the plastics that were once touted
> as safe or inert are really harmful to humans on a cellular level. Many
> of them leach unsafe compounds.
>
> With the probable multiplier effect of the heat of processing and
> the presence of an acid in the jars, I just don't trust plastic to
> be long-term safe.
>
> gloria p

Take a look at their web site before you judge their product. Go here to
see what type of materials they use in their reusable lids and gaskets:
http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/BpaFree.aspx

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Don S." > wrote:

> Has anyone used the Tattler reusable canning lids? I am curious if they are
> worth buying. Here's their link http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/
>
> Don

I don't see why they would not work. I have not used them. If they
draw and hold a vacuum seal, they should be fine. The initial
investment isn't cheap, I think. JMO.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
gloria p > wrote:

> On 5/19/2012 3:30 PM, George Shirley wrote:
> > On 5/19/2012 3:32 PM, Don S. wrote:
> >> Has anyone used the Tattler reusable canning lids? I am curious if they
> >> are worth buying. Here's their link http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/
> >>
> >> Don

> > Haven't seen the Tattler lids since the seventies and we didn't use them
> > then. Here's an interesting review,
> > http://www.rural-revolution.com/2010...ning-lids.html there
> > are many reviews on line, most I read said they were okay but you MUST
> > follow directions.

> I read her review. Just my humble opinion:
>
> I don't like the idea of the lids that are touching the product being
> plastic. We keep hearing that many of the plastics that were once
> touted as safe or inert are really harmful to humans on a cellular
> level. Many of them leach unsafe compounds.
>
> With the probable multiplier effect of the heat of processing and
> the presence of an acid in the jars, I just don't trust plastic to
> be long-term safe.
>
> gloria p

BPA seems to be everyone's concern about that, Gloria. The Tattler
peeps say specifically their product is free of BPA and that what they
do use is FDA- and USDA-blessed. <shrug>
<http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/BpaFree.aspx>
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/21/2012 9:11 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> "Don > wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used the Tattler reusable canning lids? I am curious if they are
>> worth buying. Here's their link http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/
>>
>> Don

> I don't see why they would not work. I have not used them. If they
> draw and hold a vacuum seal, they should be fine. The initial
> investment isn't cheap, I think. JMO.

At $27.95 for 36 lids and gaskets you're right, they're not cheap. But,
if you get ten uses from one lid and gasket you end up paying 7 cents
per lid and gasket, that's fairly cheap.

If I were to use them I would not gift the jars to someone that wouldn't
give me the rings, lids, and gaskets back.

I've got more than 400 lids on hand at the moment so don't anticipate
buying any Tattler for the near future. Maybe next year or the one after.

Nice to hear the folks up in Southern Canada are still around Barb.
How's the preparations for the next state fair going?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article > ,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 5/21/2012 9:11 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In >,
> > "Don > wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone used the Tattler reusable canning lids? I am curious if they
> >> are
> >> worth buying. Here's their link http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/
> >>
> >> Don

> > I don't see why they would not work. I have not used them. If they
> > draw and hold a vacuum seal, they should be fine. The initial
> > investment isn't cheap, I think. JMO.

> At $27.95 for 36 lids and gaskets you're right, they're not cheap. But,
> if you get ten uses from one lid and gasket you end up paying 7 cents
> per lid and gasket, that's fairly cheap.

Understood.

> If I were to use them I would not gift the jars to someone that wouldn't
> give me the rings, lids, and gaskets back.

Coward. :-)

> I've got more than 400 lids on hand at the moment so don't anticipate
> buying any Tattler for the near future. Maybe next year or the one after.
>
> Nice to hear the folks up in Southern Canada are still around Barb.
> How's the preparations for the next state fair going?

Saveur magazine. June-July 2012. Page 31. :-)
Modesty doesn't become me.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/23/2012 9:09 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In ws.com>,
> George > wrote:
>
>> On 5/21/2012 9:11 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> I don't see why they would not work. I have not used them. If they
>>> draw and hold a vacuum seal, they should be fine. The initial
>>> investment isn't cheap, I think. JMO.

>> At $27.95 for 36 lids and gaskets you're right, they're not cheap. But,
>> if you get ten uses from one lid and gasket you end up paying 7 cents
>> per lid and gasket, that's fairly cheap.

> Understood.
>>
>> If I were to use them I would not gift the jars to someone that wouldn't
>> give me the rings, lids, and gaskets back.

> Coward. :-)
>>
>> I've got more than 400 lids on hand at the moment so don't anticipate
>> buying any Tattler for the near future. Maybe next year or the one after.
>>
>> Nice to hear the folks up in Southern Canada are still around Barb.
>> How's the preparations for the next state fair going?

> Saveur magazine. June-July 2012. Page 31. :-)
> Modesty doesn't become me.

You're just a glory hound. I only read American Rifleman. <G>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I never knew there were reusable lids but my mind thinks they aren't a
good idea....I picture all that hard work going to waste when the lids
don't seal......so far I've been lucky and had only 4 that the seal
failed in more than 14 years....Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article > ,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 5/23/2012 9:09 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In ws.com>,
> > George > wrote:
> >> How's the preparations for the next state fair going?

> > Saveur magazine. June-July 2012. Page 31. :-)
> > Modesty doesn't become me.

> You're just a glory hound. I only read American Rifleman. <G>

Nah, I just like a good time - and I'm not afraid of a microphone. '-)
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/24/2012 7:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In ws.com>,
> George > wrote:
>
>> On 5/23/2012 9:09 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>>
>>> Saveur magazine. June-July 2012. Page 31. :-)
>>> Modesty doesn't become me.

>> You're just a glory hound. I only read American Rifleman.<G>

> Nah, I just like a good time - and I'm not afraid of a microphone. '-)

I've known you for twenty years and have never found anything you were
afraid of except losing at the state fair.