Posted to rec.food.preserving
djb djb is offline

Default Next Generation of Canners

I didn't have the time to make jam this year, but I did take a day to
teach my 12 year-old daughter. Her rapsberry jam (de-seeded) won a
2nd-place ribbon at the Bolton (MA) Fair last weekend! She was pretty
strict about doing it herself, too. All I did was lift the BWB canner
onto the stove.

Dave
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"djb" > wrote in message
>I didn't have the time to make jam this year, but I did take a day to
> teach my 12 year-old daughter. Her rapsberry jam (de-seeded) won a
> 2nd-place ribbon at the Bolton (MA) Fair last weekend! She was pretty
> strict about doing it herself, too. All I did was lift the BWB canner
> onto the stove.

Good for her! I always loved baking and cooking when I was that age.
I just wish I had the time these days to do more of it.

Ted

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 10:21:20 -0700 (PDT), djb >
wrote:

>I didn't have the time to make jam this year, but I did take a day to
>teach my 12 year-old daughter. Her rapsberry jam (de-seeded) won a
>2nd-place ribbon at the Bolton (MA) Fair last weekend! She was pretty
>strict about doing it herself, too. All I did was lift the BWB canner
>onto the stove.
>
>Dave

Congrats to her. Good for you for teaching her how to cook and can. I
think that many people wish that they knew how to.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Ozark Baby" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 10:21:20 -0700 (PDT), djb >
> wrote:
>
>>I didn't have the time to make jam this year, but I did take a day to
>>teach my 12 year-old daughter. Her rapsberry jam (de-seeded) won a
>>2nd-place ribbon at the Bolton (MA) Fair last weekend! She was pretty
>>strict about doing it herself, too. All I did was lift the BWB canner
>>onto the stove.
>>
>>Dave

> Congrats to her. Good for you for teaching her how to cook and can. I
> think that many people wish that they knew how to.

Let her get on with us - Yeehaa little sister. Which is Texan for you go
girl!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

djb wrote:
> I didn't have the time to make jam this year, but I did take a day to
> teach my 12 year-old daughter. Her rapsberry jam (de-seeded) won a
> 2nd-place ribbon at the Bolton (MA) Fair last weekend! She was pretty
> strict about doing it herself, too. All I did was lift the BWB canner
> onto the stove.
>
> Dave

Congratulations to daughter and job well done to you.
It's never too early to start kids knowing about food.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
djb > wrote:

> I didn't have the time to make jam this year, but I did take a day to
> teach my 12 year-old daughter. Her rapsberry jam (de-seeded) won a
> 2nd-place ribbon at the Bolton (MA) Fair last weekend! She was pretty
> strict about doing it herself, too. All I did was lift the BWB canner
> onto the stove.
>
> Dave

Very good!! The Gedney folks (local condiment mfgr) sponsored a lot in
our state fair this year for a pickle recipe made and entered by a kid,
7-17 years old. It got a kid $100. :-) That's encouragement.
I gave my 3rd place ribbon for strawberry jam to my 6-1/2 year old
granddaughter ‹ she helped smash the strawberries. Gotta keep her
involved and interested. :-) Good work with your daughter, Dave!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Yes, very good--pass on the tradition. This experience was the sowing
of "the seed". Honestly, I have a very dear unofficially adopted
daughter who has said she wants to learn to make pear butter for her
soon-to-be husband. He loves it and I feel I need to pass this on to
her so that love never dies. : - )

Now for a story:
When I was a kid, I have memories of my Gram canning just about
everything. She was born in 1912. PA Dutch German. Grew up in big
family on a farm in Johnstown. I remember relatives saying that you
could live in her house for years without leaving and never starve.
Large cabinets with jars and jars of everything imaginable were in the
garage. Although us kids were never allowed to help, (all that hot
stuff--too dangerous) I fondly remember the "plink" sound the jars
made when sealing. I think of her every time I hear one of my jars
seal. I dragged a dozen jars with me across the country several times
before settling in Texas--when I finally started using them. That
"seed" was planted long before it bloomed into a love for making
something out of often wild, picked by us ingredients.

....preserving, like bread making and baking, appeals to the inner
self: it's therapeutic, rewarding and fun.
From: "Perfect Preserves" by Hilaire Walden
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:21:20 -0400, djb wrote
(in article
>):

> I didn't have the time to make jam this year, but I did take a day to
> teach my 12 year-old daughter. Her rapsberry jam (de-seeded) won a
> 2nd-place ribbon at the Bolton (MA) Fair last weekend! She was pretty
> strict about doing it herself, too. All I did was lift the BWB canner
> onto the stove.
>
> Dave

That is very cool! I am so sorry we missed the Fair.

J.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"djb" > wrote in message
>I didn't have the time to make jam this year, but I did take a day to
> teach my 12 year-old daughter. Her rapsberry jam (de-seeded) won a
> 2nd-place ribbon at the Bolton (MA) Fair last weekend! She was pretty
> strict about doing it herself, too. All I did was lift the BWB canner
> onto the stove.
>
> Dave

It's good to start them young. It's a talent she'll take into adulthood with
her, and hopefully teach her children and grandchildren some day.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

djb wrote:
> I didn't have the time to make jam this year, but I did take a day to
> teach my 12 year-old daughter. Her rapsberry jam (de-seeded) won a
> 2nd-place ribbon at the Bolton (MA) Fair last weekend! She was pretty
> strict about doing it herself, too. All I did was lift the BWB canner
> onto the stove.
>
> Dave

Great! She,and you must be proud!
Good on you for teaching her!

Gail

Small pressure canners George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 12 19-02-2016 02:02 AM
Old canners sometimes die..... Virginia Tadrzynski Preserving 12 06-08-2008 05:39 PM
Old canners never die ... The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 3 20-07-2008 05:50 AM
Best pressure canners Ginny Preserving 15 09-11-2007 06:35 AM
Me, Fleet Farm, and Steam Canners Melba's Jammin' Preserving 8 08-07-2004 01:03 AM