Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Small pressure canners

Does anyone use small pressure canner's? Since we moved onto a smaller
property we don't have a large garden anymore. I use a 21 quart ancient
Sears canner complete with jiggler, riser plug(lets you know when the
pressure is increasing), and a gauge. Now that the USDA advises 11 lbs
pressure versus 10 lbs I'm keeping a closer eye on the gauge and don't
like putting four pint jars in a big canner.

I've been looking at Presto and other brands in the 8 to 16 quart range
and don't feel safe with just a jiggler. Might be because I used to run
industrial boilers producing steam at 500 to 1500 psig, or it just might
be because I can't run very fast anymore. <G>

What I see on line in the way of reviews is not making me feel safe
about them. To many people are canning things in ways that can certainly
allow botulism to happen. I'm trying to not waste energy, water, and
time to put up four pints of beets in a huge canner when there must be
something smaller that is also safe, at least safe in my experience.

George, beautiful day in Tejas today, temps in the high seventies and
I'm feeling warm for the first time in months.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 16:52:35 -0600, George Shirley >
wrote:

>Does anyone use small pressure canner's? Since we moved onto a smaller
>property we don't have a large garden anymore. I use a 21 quart ancient
>Sears canner complete with jiggler, riser plug(lets you know when the
>pressure is increasing), and a gauge. Now that the USDA advises 11 lbs
>pressure versus 10 lbs I'm keeping a closer eye on the gauge and don't
>like putting four pint jars in a big canner.
>
>I've been looking at Presto and other brands in the 8 to 16 quart range
>and don't feel safe with just a jiggler. Might be because I used to run
>industrial boilers producing steam at 500 to 1500 psig, or it just might
>be because I can't run very fast anymore. <G>
>
>What I see on line in the way of reviews is not making me feel safe
>about them. To many people are canning things in ways that can certainly
>allow botulism to happen. I'm trying to not waste energy, water, and
>time to put up four pints of beets in a huge canner when there must be
>something smaller that is also safe, at least safe in my experience.
>
>George, beautiful day in Tejas today, temps in the high seventies and
>I'm feeling warm for the first time in months.

Check out the All American brand. They have both a gauge and a
jiggler. They have all sizes. Not cheap but will probably outlast
your great grandkids. They are made from heavy cast aluminum.

I have 3 and I really like them. Never paid full price for one. We
were in a everything junk shop and the owner was selling his wife's
915 model cheap. We found the 921 at a church sale. Think I got the
910 from Amazon. The 915 gets the most use here. The 910 holds 7
pints or 4 quarts.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Monday, 15 February 2016 17:52:33 UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:
> Does anyone use small pressure canner's? Since we moved onto a smaller
> property we don't have a large garden anymore. I use a 21 quart ancient
> Sears canner complete with jiggler, riser plug(lets you know when the
> pressure is increasing), and a gauge. Now that the USDA advises 11 lbs
> pressure versus 10 lbs I'm keeping a closer eye on the gauge and don't
> like putting four pint jars in a big canner.
>
> I've been looking at Presto and other brands in the 8 to 16 quart range
> and don't feel safe with just a jiggler. Might be because I used to run
> industrial boilers producing steam at 500 to 1500 psig, or it just might
> be because I can't run very fast anymore. <G>
>
> What I see on line in the way of reviews is not making me feel safe
> about them. To many people are canning things in ways that can certainly
> allow botulism to happen. I'm trying to not waste energy, water, and
> time to put up four pints of beets in a huge canner when there must be
> something smaller that is also safe, at least safe in my experience.
>
> George, beautiful day in Tejas today, temps in the high seventies and
> I'm feeling warm for the first time in months.

Hi George, I've gathered up some research on the topic of smaller pressure canners and written it up. I'm not trying to lob my links at the group, just don't see any sense in retyping it all.

Here's some bits about canner size, which will pretty much just confirm what you already know: http://www.healthycanning.com/pressu...er-size-matter

Here's info I found and summed up on 10 and 12 quart sizes in the All Ameircan, Fagor, Granitware and Netion brand lines (note, not an endorsement, just info).
http://www.healthycanning.com/pressure-canner-brands

As Susan says, All American also makes a 10 quart size pressure canner. Note though they advise not to use it for fish. (Haven't heard you talk about canning fish anyway yet. http://www.allamericancanner.com/all...surecanner.htm)

I have three pressure canners, and use as my small one the Presto 16 quart. I bought it precisely because I couldn't justify the energy to run the larger ones for small batches. All the Prestos come with a gauge now. I bought the Presto 3-piece jiggler and added it to the setup, converting that Presto in effect into a dual-gauge pot, which I personally like because it gives me two things I can monitor. http://www.healthycanning.com/presto...ulator-weight/

Hope that research helps provide some grist for your thinking mill.

I also switched my water-bathing of high-acid foods to a Victorio steam canner, as I couldn't justify firing up a huge pot of water for 4 jars, either.. Here in Ontario, they want 18 cents a kWh now for electricity at peak rates (I just light a candle during those times.) Now with steam canning I am more inclined to take the bother to do small batches of high-acid stuff such as pickles, relishes, fruits, etc.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/16/2016 9:10 AM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> [...]

> Hope that research helps provide some grist for your thinking mill.
>
> I also switched my water-bathing of high-acid foods to a Victorio steam canner, as I couldn't justify firing up a huge pot of water for 4 jars, either. Here in Ontario, they want 18 cents a kWh now for electricity at peak rates (I just light a candle during those times.) Now with steam canning I am more inclined to take the bother to do small batches of high-acid stuff such as pickles, relishes, fruits, etc.

I've been thinking of the All American 10 qt just because it has all the
bells and whistles I'm accustomed to. Probably going to go through the
net search for the cheapest offered out there. Seems to be a wide range
of prices for the same canner.

For smaller batch water-bathing I have a couple of stainless steel pots
that hold four to six pints or quarts plus I have made stainless steel
racks so I can double deck if needed. I have a really old aluminum
water-bathing pot that will hold many jars at a time but is very heavy
but does the job when we're making thirty or forty jars of jams and
jellies. To aid that I have several lifting racks with long handles.

Thank you for the assistance, I'm pretty much set on the All American now.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tuesday, 16 February 2016 11:34:27 UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:
> [...]

> I've been thinking of the All American 10 qt just because it has all the
> bells and whistles I'm accustomed to. Probably going to go through the
> net search for the cheapest offered out there. Seems to be a wide range
> of prices for the same canner.
>
> For smaller batch water-bathing I have a couple of stainless steel pots
> that hold four to six pints or quarts plus I have made stainless steel
> racks so I can double deck if needed. I have a really old aluminum
> water-bathing pot that will hold many jars at a time but is very heavy
> but does the job when we're making thirty or forty jars of jams and
> jellies. To aid that I have several lifting racks with long handles.
>
> Thank you for the assistance, I'm pretty much set on the All American now..

It seems like the best choice in the small pressure canner range. Most widely accepted by the "pros", and it's already dual-gauge by default. I'd have got one myself, except for my glass top stove which All Americans are banned from sadly. Now, you just got to pin down the right price for one....

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/16/2016 10:01 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 February 2016 11:34:27 UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:

>>> Hi George, I've gathered up some research on the topic of smaller pressure canners and written it up. I'm not trying to lob my links at the group, just don't see any sense in retyping it all.
>>>
>>> Here's some bits about canner size, which will pretty much just confirm what you already know: http://www.healthycanning.com/pressu...er-size-matter
>>>

>>> Here's info I found and summed up on 10 and 12 quart sizes in the All Ameircan, Fagor, Granitware and Netion brand lines (note, not an endorsement, just info).
>>> http://www.healthycanning.com/pressure-canner-brands
>>>
>>> As Susan says, All American also makes a 10 quart size pressure canner. Note though they advise not to use it for fish. (Haven't heard you talk about canning fish anyway yet. http://www.allamericancanner.com/all...surecanner.htm)
>>>

>>> I have three pressure canners, and use as my small one the Presto 16 quart. I bought it precisely because I couldn't justify the energy to run the larger ones for small batches. All the Prestos come with a gauge now. I bought the Presto 3-piece jiggler and added it to the setup, converting that Presto in effect into a dual-gauge pot, which I personally like because it gives me two things I can monitor. http://www.healthycanning.com/presto...ulator-weight/
>>>
>>> Hope that research helps provide some grist for your thinking mill.
>>>
>>> I also switched my water-bathing of high-acid foods to a Victorio steam canner, as I couldn't justify firing up a huge pot of water for 4 jars, either. Here in Ontario, they want 18 cents a kWh now for electricity at peak rates (I just light a candle during those times.) Now with steam canning I am more inclined to take the bother to do small batches of high-acid stuff such as pickles, relishes, fruits, etc.
>>>

>> I've been thinking of the All American 10 qt just because it has all the
>> bells and whistles I'm accustomed to. Probably going to go through the
>> net search for the cheapest offered out there. Seems to be a wide range
>> of prices for the same canner.
>>
>> For smaller batch water-bathing I have a couple of stainless steel pots
>> that hold four to six pints or quarts plus I have made stainless steel
>> racks so I can double deck if needed. I have a really old aluminum
>> water-bathing pot that will hold many jars at a time but is very heavy
>> but does the job when we're making thirty or forty jars of jams and
>> jellies. To aid that I have several lifting racks with long handles.
>>
>> Thank you for the assistance, I'm pretty much set on the All American now.
>>
>> George

> It seems like the best choice in the small pressure canner range. Most widely accepted by the "pros", and it's already dual-gauge by default. I'd have got one myself, except for my glass top stove which All Americans are banned from sadly. Now, you just got to pin down the right price for one....

We started our first home in 1965 (lived in a small trailer house from
'61 until then) with an electric stove as gas was not available. Once we
moved away from that one in '76 we've always had natural gas. I've never
been fond of electrics, maybe because I grew up cooking with butane and
then propane. I have an electric rice cooker and a Presto stew pot just
for convenience when making rice (grew up in Texas rice country), and/or
chili, stews, soups, etc. without having to stand over the stove.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Well, found two of the All American 910 canners online. One for $55, the
other for $89. Both have one handle broken off but the pot seems to be
okay and all the other parts in good condition. The cheaper one looks to
have been rode hard and put up wet and would need a lot of cleaning, the
more expensive one seems to be newer in the pictures.

A missing handle, as long as the pot isn't messed up, isn't a big deal
and I could probably put on a wooden or plastic handle if really needed.
I also know how to clean aluminum pots up nicely as I did the old Sears
canner last year. Just takes some water, cream of tartar, and a little
pressure for several minutes.

It's decision time and may just keep cruising the web a bit longer. I'm
amazed at the really old pressure canners out there for sale and hope
folks are buying them for display.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/17/2016 8:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> Well, found two of the All American 910 canners online. One for $55, the
> other for $89. Both have one handle broken off but the pot seems to be
> okay and all the other parts in good condition. The cheaper one looks to
> have been rode hard and put up wet and would need a lot of cleaning, the
> more expensive one seems to be newer in the pictures.

If you do "McGuyver" a handle for a broken one. George, I don''t think I
have to tell you to be very careful and don't try to lift it when full,
even just water. Getting scalded can't be good for your health.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/17/2016 12:29 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 2/17/2016 8:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>> Well, found two of the All American 910 canners online. One for $55, the
>> other for $89. Both have one handle broken off but the pot seems to be
>> okay and all the other parts in good condition. The cheaper one looks to
>> have been rode hard and put up wet and would need a lot of cleaning, the
>> more expensive one seems to be newer in the pictures.

> If you do "McGuyver" a handle for a broken one. George, I don''t think I
> have to tell you to be very careful and don't try to lift it when full,
> even just water. Getting scalded can't be good for your health.
>
> gloria p

Both appear to have the same side handle broken half off. Will be easy
enough to drill and tap the aluminum and then add a wooden or Bakelite
addition. Have done that before with other items. Been at this a very
long time Gloria, I'm probably more cautious than McGuyver ever was, as
much as I enjoyed that old show. <G>

We've been keeping our youngest great granddaughter two days a week
while her Mom goes for therapy on a bad shoulder. Ellie Mae is about
three years old (we have so many grands and great grands that I can't
keep mental track of birthdays.), but is talking at the five or six year
old stage. I'm in the office listening to Ellie and Grannie Annie
playing with dolls in the living room. Ellie does about four or five
different voices in the game and Grannie is trying to keep up. A three
year old and a seventy-five year old seem to enjoy the same games. <G> I
love it.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 14:32:51 UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:
> On 2/17/2016 12:29 PM, gloria p wrote:
> > On 2/17/2016 8:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> >> Well, found two of the All American 910 canners online. One for $55, the
> >> other for $89. Both have one handle broken off but the pot seems to be
> >> okay and all the other parts in good condition. The cheaper one looks to
> >> have been rode hard and put up wet and would need a lot of cleaning, the
> >> more expensive one seems to be newer in the pictures.

> > If you do "McGuyver" a handle for a broken one. George, I don''t think I
> > have to tell you to be very careful and don't try to lift it when full,
> > even just water. Getting scalded can't be good for your health.
> >
> > gloria p
> >

> Both appear to have the same side handle broken half off. Will be easy
> enough to drill and tap the aluminum and then add a wooden or Bakelite
> addition. Have done that before with other items. Been at this a very
> long time Gloria, I'm probably more cautious than McGuyver ever was, as
> much as I enjoyed that old show. <G>
>
> We've been keeping our youngest great granddaughter two days a week
> while her Mom goes for therapy on a bad shoulder. Ellie Mae is about
> three years old (we have so many grands and great grands that I can't
> keep mental track of birthdays.), but is talking at the five or six year
> old stage. I'm in the office listening to Ellie and Grannie Annie
> playing with dolls in the living room. Ellie does about four or five
> different voices in the game and Grannie is trying to keep up. A three
> year old and a seventy-five year old seem to enjoy the same games. <G> I
> love it.

Those repairs will hold up to repeated pressure over time?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/17/2016 9:41 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 14:32:51 UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:
>>>

>>> If you do "McGuyver" a handle for a broken one. George, I don''t think I
>>> have to tell you to be very careful and don't try to lift it when full,
>>> even just water. Getting scalded can't be good for your health.
>>>
>>> gloria p
>>>

>> Both appear to have the same side handle broken half off. Will be easy
>> enough to drill and tap the aluminum and then add a wooden or Bakelite
>> addition. Have done that before with other items. Been at this a very
>> long time Gloria, I'm probably more cautious than McGuyver ever was, as
>> much as I enjoyed that old show. <G>
>>
>> We've been keeping our youngest great granddaughter two days a week
>> while her Mom goes for therapy on a bad shoulder. Ellie Mae is about
>> three years old (we have so many grands and great grands that I can't
>> keep mental track of birthdays.), but is talking at the five or six year
>> old stage. I'm in the office listening to Ellie and Grannie Annie
>> playing with dolls in the living room. Ellie does about four or five
>> different voices in the game and Grannie is trying to keep up. A three
>> year old and a seventy-five year old seem to enjoy the same games. <G> I
>> love it.

> Those repairs will hold up to repeated pressure over time?

Should, doesn't affect the pot itself, only the metal handle is affected.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/18/2016 8:15 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 2/17/2016 9:41 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:

>>> Both appear to have the same side handle broken half off. Will be easy
>>> enough to drill and tap the aluminum and then add a wooden or Bakelite
>>> addition. Have done that before with other items. Been at this a very
>>> long time Gloria, I'm probably more cautious than McGuyver ever was, as
>>> much as I enjoyed that old show. <G>
>>>

>> Those repairs will hold up to repeated pressure over time?
>>

> Should, doesn't affect the pot itself, only the metal handle is affected.

Thanks for clarifying. Like Randal.I was thinking you were going to
drill into the body of the pot.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/18/2016 6:16 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 2/18/2016 8:15 AM, George Shirley wrote:

>>> Those repairs will hold up to repeated pressure over time?
>>>

>> Should, doesn't affect the pot itself, only the metal handle is affected.

> Thanks for clarifying. Like Randal.I was thinking you were going to
> drill into the body of the pot.
>
> gloria p

Nope, not really that dumb. Worked in heavy industry for 47 years. The
last 31 years out of the 47 I was a safety professional. Actually, if I
cut the hard wood properly I can probably Gorilla glue the handle on.
Also ran 600 lb and 1500 lb high pressure steam boilers for 16 years
before the safety job.

Old canners sometimes die..... Virginia Tadrzynski Preserving 12 06-08-2008 05:39 PM
Old canners never die ... The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 3 20-07-2008 05:50 AM
Best pressure canners Ginny Preserving 15 09-11-2007 06:35 AM
Small amounts of dark chocolate benefit blood pressu From "Sham vs. Wham: The Health Insider" D. Chocolate 1 18-07-2007 01:54 AM
Small amounts of dark chocolate benefit blood pressu From "Sham vs. Wham: The Health Insider" D. General Cooking 0 14-07-2007 04:43 PM