Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default peeling b**ts

Is it really possible to slip the skin from a beet?

I'm making sweet pickled beets today from the BCBoHP and instructions say
clean and scrub beets, boil til tender, immerse in cold water and slip off
skins. No can do! I've tried and tried and it just doesn't work for me. I
figure if I'm gonna end up peeling them with a knife anyway, I'd prefer to
do it before I cook them.

Ideas?

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
> Is it really possible to slip the skin from a beet?
>
> I'm making sweet pickled beets today from the BCBoHP and instructions say
> clean and scrub beets, boil til tender, immerse in cold water and slip off
> skins. No can do! I've tried and tried and it just doesn't work for me.
> I figure if I'm gonna end up peeling them with a knife anyway, I'd prefer
> to do it before I cook them.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Kathi

I always immerse in icy water. It may be that you did not cook them enuf.
Mine almost always slip off, except sometimes. I usually keep a knife handy
to scrape a bit. Doesn't take much scrapings and I don't want to waste a
drop of the precious stuff!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:13:40 -0400, "Kathi Jones" >
wrote:

>Is it really possible to slip the skin from a beet?
>
>I'm making sweet pickled beets today from the BCBoHP and instructions say
>clean and scrub beets, boil til tender, immerse in cold water and slip off
>skins. No can do! I've tried and tried and it just doesn't work for me. I
>figure if I'm gonna end up peeling them with a knife anyway, I'd prefer to
>do it before I cook them.
>
>Ideas?
>
>Kathi

Hi Kathi,

I'd venture a guess that you didn't boil them long enough. They have
to be completely cooked. Did you dump them into ice water after
cooking?
That's what we do here and, yes, the skins slip right off.
Also, don't forget to leave at least an inch of the greens on the beet
before you boil them or they'll bleed to death.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:13:40 -0400, "Kathi Jones" >
> wrote:
>
>>Is it really possible to slip the skin from a beet?
>>
>>I'm making sweet pickled beets today from the BCBoHP and instructions say
>>clean and scrub beets, boil til tender, immerse in cold water and slip off
>>skins. No can do! I've tried and tried and it just doesn't work for me.
>>figure if I'm gonna end up peeling them with a knife anyway, I'd prefer to
>>do it before I cook them.
>>
>>Ideas?
>>
>>Kathi
>>

> Hi Kathi,
>
> I'd venture a guess that you didn't boil them long enough. They have
> to be completely cooked. Did you dump them into ice water after
> cooking?
> That's what we do here and, yes, the skins slip right off.
> Also, don't forget to leave at least an inch of the greens on the beet
> before you boil them or they'll bleed to death.
>
> Ross.

bleed? yes. I'm at the mercy of the grocer or packer who put them in the
basket - sadly, no greens to speak of when I buy them like this at the
grocery store. But if I could get them in a bunch with greens, I would!

Cooked enough? Well, I thought so...I'm making them for pickles so I want
them firm tender, right? maybe that's the problem. And yes, I dumped them
in ice water after. Maybe next time, I'll cook longer,

Actually, the small beets were pickled and maybe not cooked long enough,
I'm gonna eat the large beets tomorrow for dinner. I'll try cooking longer
and see what happens.

Thanks Ross,

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>> Is it really possible to slip the skin from a beet?
>>
>> I'm making sweet pickled beets today from the BCBoHP and instructions say
>> clean and scrub beets, boil til tender, immerse in cold water and slip
>> off skins. No can do! I've tried and tried and it just doesn't work for
>> me. I figure if I'm gonna end up peeling them with a knife anyway, I'd
>> prefer to do it before I cook them.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> Kathi

> I always immerse in icy water. It may be that you did not cook them enuf.
> Mine almost always slip off, except sometimes. I usually keep a knife
> handy to scrape a bit. Doesn't take much scrapings and I don't want to
> waste a drop of the precious stuff!
> Edrena

That's what Ross said. Maybe I didn't cook them long enough, but yes, I put
them in ice water when done.

I'll try cooking longer next time,

Thanks, the 'other Mrs. Jones',

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:21:15 -0400, "Kathi Jones" >
wrote:

>bleed? yes. I'm at the mercy of the grocer or packer who put them in the
>basket - sadly, no greens to speak of when I buy them like this at the
>grocery store. But if I could get them in a bunch with greens, I would!

How close are you to a Farmer's Market? Is there still one on Saturday
morning at Riverside Park in CP? Along with lots of other fresh, local
produce, you should be able to get freshly picked beets with the tops
intact. Then they can do double duty, freshly cooked beet greens with
a bit of butter, salt & pepper are excellent.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
ljp ljp is offline

On Aug 19, 12:13 pm, "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
> Is it really possible to slip the skin from a beet?
>
> I'm making sweet pickled beets today from the BCBoHP and instructions say
> clean and scrub beets, boil til tender, immerse in cold water and slip off
> skins. No can do! I've tried and tried and it just doesn't work for me. I
> figure if I'm gonna end up peeling them with a knife anyway, I'd prefer to
> do it before I cook them.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Kathi

I don't do beets often, but I cook them with the peels. The skins
come off in cold tap water. Most of the time I push the stem side off
first and work my way to the tap root. I do need to resort to the
paring knife if there are blemishes. Where there are breaks the skin
sticks to the beet.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:21:15 -0400, "Kathi Jones" >
> wrote:
>

>>bleed? yes. I'm at the mercy of the grocer or packer who put them in the
>>basket - sadly, no greens to speak of when I buy them like this at the
>>grocery store. But if I could get them in a bunch with greens, I would!

> How close are you to a Farmer's Market? Is there still one on Saturday
> morning at Riverside Park in CP? Along with lots of other fresh, local
> produce, you should be able to get freshly picked beets with the tops
> intact. Then they can do double duty, freshly cooked beet greens with
> a bit of butter, salt & pepper are excellent.
>
> Ross.

Yes, Ross, there still is a Farmer's Market in CP. Thanks for reminding me!

Kathi