Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peeling potatoes

How far in advance is it alright to peel potatoes for say, mashing or roasting?
I'm talking the same day, but if they sit, will they be alright? I imagine to
prevent them from discoloring, keep them in a pot of water? But will they absord
too much water and mess up their cooking? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> How far in advance is it alright to peel potatoes for say, mashing or
> roasting?
> I'm talking the same day, but if they sit, will they be alright? I imagine
> prevent them from discoloring, keep them in a pot of water? But will they
> absord
> too much water and mess up their cooking? Thanks.

You can do them a day in advance, but... You must put them in the
refrigerator in some cold, salted water. If you don't, they will go brown
on you.

If you want to do them a few hours in advance, just keep them in cold,
salted water. Change the water to fresh if it's going to be more than two
hours. They need to be kept cold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Why?
>> >
>> > I never peel potatoes. No reason to.
>> >
>> > I use mostly reds or yukon golds.

>> I peel russets if using for mashed. The bits of skin on them seem like
>> dirt
>> to me. I never peel the other kinds. And I never peel for roasting.
>> Unless for some reason I am cooking for my dad. He has some strange food
>> phobias and potato skin is one such. He considers the skin to be poison.

> I never purchase Russets. Dad has an aversion to them and the peels do
> indeed taste like dirt to me!
>
> I eat so few spuds, I can afford the better ones. Russets have no use in
> my world, but to each their own!
>
> Russets suck.

I had quit using russet with the exception of baked potatoes which we don't
have often. But I discovered that they make the best filling for pierogies
of which I just posted my faux version.

For mashed, I prefer Yukon Gold but daughter has decided she likes instant
potatoes the best. I don't, but they are very quick to make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

>> > I never purchase Russets. Dad has an aversion to them and the peels do
>> > indeed taste like dirt to me!
>> >
>> > I eat so few spuds, I can afford the better ones. Russets have no use
>> > in
>> > my world, but to each their own!
>> >
>> > Russets suck.

>> I had quit using russet with the exception of baked potatoes which we
>> don't
>> have often. But I discovered that they make the best filling for
>> pierogies
>> of which I just posted my faux version.
>>
>> For mashed, I prefer Yukon Gold but daughter has decided she likes
>> instant
>> potatoes the best. I don't, but they are very quick to make.

> I know that others may not agree, but there is nothing wrong with
> powdered potatoes for mashed. They are real potatoes, just dehydrated
> flakes. No more sin in using those imho than in using rehydrated dried
> mushrooms and such!
>
> I like to use Yukon Golds to make hash for dad, or just serve them
> steamed and sliced with the peel.
>
> I've not yet tried making fries out of them!
>
> Instant potatoes are a great food for camping. That is where I developed
> a fondness for them. I used some on sale over Thanksgiving to mix with
> some baked Turban squash.

I don't do fries as in deep fried. But I have used them for oven fries and
they are great!

At one point in my life, a frequent snack was instant mashed potatoes made
with cheddar cheese, onions and real bacon bits. I have tried it again
recently and apparently no longer care for it. Daughter didn't like it made
that way either.

At one point in my life, my mom switched to using instant mashed potatoes.
So I became used to them. I guess I figured it must be terribly hard to
make real mashed potatoes! My mom didn't like to cook. She also used
powdered milk. I too keep powdered milk. Not for drinking. We did drink
it as children and had to use it on our cereal. Oh ick! I use it in
cooking on the rare occasions when I need some milk.

When I discovered that I could in fact mash Yukon Golds and didn't need to
peel them, I realized that it was very easy and pretty quick to make them
from scratch. It was the danged peeling that took so long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 13, 11:35*am, Omelet > wrote:

Unless it's really 'formal' dinner, I never peel potatoes (russets)
if I'm going to mash them. I like the peeling in there.

I rarely peel potatoes for ANY dish I put them in, now that I think
about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 12, 11:24*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>
> news >
>

> > In article >,
> > wrote:

> >> How far in advance is it alright to peel potatoes for say, mashing or
> >> roasting?
> >> I'm talking the same day, but if they sit, will they be alright? I
> >> imagine to
> >> prevent them from discoloring, keep them in a pot of water? But will they
> >> absord
> >> too much water and mess up their cooking? Thanks.

> > Why?

> > I never peel potatoes. No reason to.

> > I use mostly reds or yukon golds.

> I peel russets if using for mashed. *The bits of skin on them seem like dirt
> to me. *I never peel the other kinds. *And I never peel for roasting.
> Unless for some reason I am cooking for my dad. *He has some strange food
> phobias and potato skin is one such. *He considers the skin to be poison.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 13, 1:52*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> At one point in my life, my mom switched to using instant mashed potatoes..
> So I became used to them. *I guess I figured it must be terribly hard to
> make real mashed potatoes! *My mom didn't like to cook. *She also used
> powdered milk. *I too keep powdered milk. *Not for drinking. *We did drink
> it as children and had to use it on our cereal. *Oh ick! *I use it in
> cooking on the rare occasions when I need some milk.

Instant mashed potatoes will not rot. Nor will they grow two foot
sprouts.

> When I discovered that I could in fact mash Yukon Golds and didn't need to
> peel them, I realized that it was very easy and pretty quick to make them
> from scratch. *It was the danged peeling that took so long.

Potatoes are perishable. I only buy the amount I'm planning to use.
Five pound sacks are tempting, but I will never use them up while
they're still good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > Instant potatoes are a great food for camping. That is where I
>> > developed
>> > a fondness for them. I used some on sale over Thanksgiving to mix with
>> > some baked Turban squash.

>> I don't do fries as in deep fried. But I have used them for oven fries
>> and
>> they are great!

> Yes they are. :-) Good for scalloped potatoes too.
>

>> At one point in my life, a frequent snack was instant mashed potatoes
>> made
>> with cheddar cheese, onions and real bacon bits. I have tried it again
>> recently and apparently no longer care for it. Daughter didn't like it
>> made
>> that way either.
>>
>> At one point in my life, my mom switched to using instant mashed
>> potatoes.
>> So I became used to them. I guess I figured it must be terribly hard to
>> make real mashed potatoes! My mom didn't like to cook. She also used
>> powdered milk. I too keep powdered milk. Not for drinking. We did
>> drink
>> it as children and had to use it on our cereal. Oh ick! I use it in
>> cooking on the rare occasions when I need some milk.

> I keep it handy for cooking as well. It's certainly not good to drink!
>

>> When I discovered that I could in fact mash Yukon Golds and didn't need
>> peel them, I realized that it was very easy and pretty quick to make them
>> from scratch. It was the danged peeling that took so long.

> Indeed. :-)
> The other option with russets is to peel them after cooking them. Easier
> and faster, but I'll just stick with the yukon golds or those thin
> skinned white potatoes. I don't peel reds either.

I forgot about that. I had some recipe for a potato salad that called for
peeling the potatoes after cooking. But of course they had to be hot so the
dressing would soak in. That was no fun!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
On Dec 12, 11:24 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>
> news >
>

> > In article >,
> > wrote:

> >> How far in advance is it alright to peel potatoes for say, mashing or
> >> roasting?
> >> I'm talking the same day, but if they sit, will they be alright? I
> >> imagine to
> >> prevent them from discoloring, keep them in a pot of water? But will
> >> they
> >> absord
> >> too much water and mess up their cooking? Thanks.

> > Why?

> > I never peel potatoes. No reason to.

> > I use mostly reds or yukon golds.

> I peel russets if using for mashed. The bits of skin on them seem like
> dirt
> to me. I never peel the other kinds. And I never peel for roasting.
> Unless for some reason I am cooking for my dad. He has some strange food
> phobias and potato skin is one such. He considers the skin to be poison.

Your dad's right. Nightshades are poisonous, and the poison in
potatoes is concentrated in and next to the skin. Potatoes whose skin
has turned greenish must particularly be peeled.

---

I know that. I also know now never to eat a sprouted potato. I happily ate
them for years, having bought huge bags of potatoes that always sprouted
before I could eat them all. But maybe last year (can't remember exactly)
daughter and I got very bad stomach pains from eating sprouted potatoes. I
didn't see any green on them so the sprouts must have been the cause.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:03:10 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > The other option with russets is to peel them after cooking them. Easier
>> > and faster, but I'll just stick with the yukon golds or those thin
>> > skinned white potatoes. I don't peel reds either.

>> I forgot about that. I had some recipe for a potato salad that called for
>> peeling the potatoes after cooking. But of course they had to be hot so the
>> dressing would soak in. That was no fun!

>Heh! Just run them under cold water while peeling! They still stay hot
>enough when you are done. Peeling cooked spuds generally goes pretty
>fast.

Slice lengthwise. Then lay half spud cut side up and slice but not
all the way through, flicking the blade slightly with each cut... most
of the peel will remain attached at the 'spine' and easily picked off
in one piece. Naturally regardless peeling prior to or after cooking
the larger the spuds the easier the task. With hot potato salads I
don't worry about removing every speck of peel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:25:45 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Slice lengthwise. Then lay half spud cut side up and slice but not
> all the way through, flicking the blade slightly with each cut... most
> of the peel will remain attached at the 'spine' and easily picked off
> in one piece. Naturally regardless peeling prior to or after cooking
> the larger the spuds the easier the task. With hot potato salads I
> don't worry about removing every speck of peel.

Now this, I admit, you may be an expert. After all, peeling
potatoes was your career in the Navy.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:05:28 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:25:45 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Slice lengthwise. Then lay half spud cut side up and slice but not
>> all the way through, flicking the blade slightly with each cut... most
>> of the peel will remain attached at the 'spine' and easily picked off
>> in one piece. Naturally regardless peeling prior to or after cooking
>> the larger the spuds the easier the task. With hot potato salads I
>> don't worry about removing every speck of peel.

>Now this, I admit, you may be an expert. After all, peeling
>potatoes was your career in the Navy.

All spuds were peeled by machine except for dehys which were most.
Potato salad at sea was rare to never... in port the grubbermint
contracted delicatessen type viands with local civilian commissarys.
Any images of sailors paring spuds is very ancient history or pure
myth. I'd venture to say that nowadays the vast majority of spuds
used by the military are of the frozen variety, same as found in any
stupidmarket. Now that I think about it during my four years I don't
remember serving potato salad... a lot of macaroni salad but never
potato salad... not much coleslaw either
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 12, 8:45*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> wrote:
> > How far in advance is it alright to peel potatoes for say, mashing or
> > roasting?
> > I'm talking the same day, but if they sit, will they be alright? I imagine to
> > prevent them from discoloring, keep them in a pot of water? But will they
> > absord
> > too much water and mess up their cooking? Thanks.

> Why?
>
> I never peel potatoes. No reason to.
>
> I use mostly reds or yukon golds.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinelien

Same here. No peeling even if I'm going to mash them. the peels help
keep the taters from becoming too watery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 14-Dec-2010, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> All spuds were peeled by machine except for dehys which were most.
>> Potato salad at sea was rare to never... in port the grubbermint
>> contracted delicatessen type viands with local civilian commissarys.
>> Any images of sailors paring spuds is very ancient history or pure
>> myth.

> The image of military personnel peeling potatoes is probably from WW2
> cartoons, and Sad Sack and Beetle Bailey comics. When I was in basic
> training, Nov. 1967 - Jan. 1968, peeling potatoes on KP duty meant loading
> them into the machines, draining the dirty water and removing them at the
> end of the cycle.
> --
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 14-Dec-2010, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> All spuds were peeled by machine except for dehys which were most.
>> Potato salad at sea was rare to never... in port the grubbermint
>> contracted delicatessen type viands with local civilian commissarys.
>> Any images of sailors paring spuds is very ancient history or pure
>> myth.

> The image of military personnel peeling potatoes is probably from WW2
> cartoons, and Sad Sack and Beetle Bailey comics. When I was in basic
> training, Nov. 1967 - Jan. 1968, peeling potatoes on KP duty meant loading
> them into the machines, draining the dirty water and removing them at the
> end of the cycle.

Oops! Sorry for the empty post!

Years ago I met a man who had worked for a big potato company. He said to
make the instant mashed, the potatoes were first put into a big vat of
chemicals to help remove the peels and workers scrubbed them with patio
brooms. This brushed any remaining peels off. I'm sure they have automated
it by now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 14-Dec-2010, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> All spuds were peeled by machine except for dehys which were most.
>> Potato salad at sea was rare to never... in port the grubbermint
>> contracted delicatessen type viands with local civilian commissarys.
>> Any images of sailors paring spuds is very ancient history or pure
>> myth.

>The image of military personnel peeling potatoes is probably from WW2
>cartoons, and Sad Sack and Beetle Bailey comics. When I was in basic
>training, Nov. 1967 - Jan. 1968, peeling potatoes on KP duty meant loading
>them into the machines, draining the dirty water and removing them at the
>end of the cycle.

A year later at Parris Island we were peeling them with paring knives.
That was the last time I got mess duty.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> Now that I think about it during my four years I don't
> remember serving potato salad... a lot of macaroni salad but never
> potato salad... not much coleslaw either

Of course you don't remember serving potato salad, you were in the scullery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PacoSpic" wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" wrote:
>
>> Now that I think about it during my four years I don't
>> remember serving potato salad... a lot of macaroni salad but never
>> potato salad... not much coleslaw either

>Of course you don't remember serving potato salad, you were in the scullery.

You dumb spic, the scullery rats knew excatly what and how much
everyone ate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> "PacoSpic" wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" wrote:
>>
>>> Now that I think about it during my four years I don't
>>> remember serving potato salad... a lot of macaroni salad but never
>>> potato salad... not much coleslaw either

>>Of course you don't remember serving potato salad, you were in the
>>scullery.

> You dumb spic, the scullery rats knew excatly what and how much
> everyone ate.

Well of course, you were scraping all the plates and trays.

If you are going to throw racial slurs around, ay least get the attributes
correct. Spics are Puerto Ricans. Mexicans are wetbacks, thank you. You,
of all people, should know better. Keep it up and you'll lose you hood and
robe.

"Excatly"? Get out of the house and have some HUMAN interaction. No, on
second thought, stay home. Your cats need you there more than we want you
out here.

Speaking Of Peeling Potatoes Lou Decruss General Cooking 0 19-01-2010 09:02 PM
peeling b**ts Kathi Jones Preserving 7 20-08-2008 01:44 PM
Speaking of Peeling Potatoes... jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 74 29-02-2008 08:17 PM
Peeling Pee Wee Eggs? > General Cooking 8 17-11-2004 03:05 PM
Peeling potatoes ahead of time??? TOM KAN PA General Cooking 8 29-05-2004 11:33 AM