Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Just curious

Do any of you carry on the old farm tradition of making corn cob
jelly? Most people I mention it to don't know what I'm talking about,
so then I have to make a batch so they can taste it.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Epiphany > wrote:

> Do any of you carry on the old farm tradition of making corn cob
> jelly? Most people I mention it to don't know what I'm talking about,
> so then I have to make a batch so they can taste it.

I have the recipe but, alas, no corn in the garden.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Epiphany wrote:
> Do any of you carry on the old farm tradition of making corn cob
> jelly? Most people I mention it to don't know what I'm talking about,
> so then I have to make a batch so they can taste it.

We only ate the corn off the cob and then tossed the cob. No corn cob
jelly on that farm.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Epiphany > wrote:

> Do any of you carry on the old farm tradition of making corn cob
> jelly? Most people I mention it to don't know what I'm talking about,
> so then I have to make a batch so they can taste it.

I do not. To me it tastes mostly like sweet and not much else; IMO a
waste of sugar and pectin. YMMV.

OTOH, I have made "Can't Be Beet" Jelly, the flavor of which comes from
a package of Kool-Aid. I brought some to a fund-raiser for sale and one
woman hunted me down hoping for more.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back and
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Epiphany" > wrote in message
> Do any of you carry on the old farm tradition of making corn cob
> jelly? Most people I mention it to don't know what I'm talking about,
> so then I have to make a batch so they can taste it.

I was a city chile with a farmer's heart, does that count? I save a few
cobs for the smoker. I originally wrote "for smoking" but somehow that's not
the same...
I did make peach pit jelly one year. Lovely light color, but as was said,
a waste of pectin and sugar. I want the real deal.
Edrena

curious Stormmee Diabetic 78 08-08-2010 05:30 PM
Just curious about something jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 30 26-04-2008 03:54 PM
Just curious luna the lurker[_1_] Mexican Cooking 4 22-02-2007 09:36 PM
curious [email protected] Vegetarian cooking 10 17-02-2005 12:16 AM