Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default curious

i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main cook,
inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?

I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to understand
this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative feedback about
the pork and pineapple idea i posted,

the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to eat
as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no problem
making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables and some
sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables but he will
have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...

sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking, Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main cook,
>inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?

No. I cook the same meat and veggies for the two of us, but I always cook a
potato, or something starchy as a side for the DH, also...I make a
cake/pie/some kind of dessert a week for him. He's not overweight, and no
health problems, so why not. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee wrote:
> i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
> lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main cook,
> inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>
> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to understand
> this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative feedback about
> the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>
> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to eat
> as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no problem
> making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables and some
> sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables but he will
> have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>
> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking, Lee

I completely understand. I am not diabetic and I love pasta and noodles.
I am the chief cook, however, so I would be the one who would be making
separate meals. It would also bother me to have two people eating
different meals as that isn't what the dinner table is all about in our
home.

I eat low carb with him and when we go to a restaurant or when I go out
for lunch with my gal pals, I indulge my desire for a bowl of pasta or
noodles.

Since your DH does all the cooking, you might want to have him find
meals that would suit both of you. It is a challenge, but it can be done.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

wife and I have a understanding..I cook she cleans...lol

she is very picky but we make it work..usually its simply me pulling my
steak off the fire a long time before hers is done <burnt>

I will cook the main proteins for us both..but use separate containers as
she likes her meat near burnt I like mine still moving.

I detest her veggies so we keep those separate as well..such as <gag>
Brussels sprouts.

she likes her eggs fried to being near powder I like mine runny or usually
not scrambled at all..I love omelets she hates anything in her eggs but
eggs..

she hates cheese on burgers..I love it...same for bacon on burgers

I also have become so good at subbing that the taste is the same in a lot of
foods so that we both eat the same items...I will start off making her
zucchini bread with reg stuff and she will say mine tastes better...lol

KROM

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
> lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
> cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>
> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>
> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no problem
> making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables and some
> sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables but he will
> have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>
> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
> Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee > wrote:
>i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main cook,
>inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?

My partner generally eats higher-carb and vegetarian, while I focus more on
proteins, vegetables and small amounts of carbs as side dishes. Quite often,
she ends up cooking simpler food for herself after she gets done preparing my
meals. It's therefore awesome when we can agree on eating the same thing.

Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee > wrote:
>btw part of the reason you have
>been married so long is that YOU are the cook, not just because you can
>cook, but you are man enough to do so, Lee

I don't think it's a question of being man enough. I used to cook a lot more
when I lived alone. Between my partner and our housemates, the kitchen is never
organized as my blindness requires.

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>>lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
>>cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?

> No. I cook the same meat and veggies for the two of us, but I always cook
> a potato, or something starchy as a side for the DH, also...I make a
> cake/pie/some kind of dessert a week for him. He's not overweight, and no
> health problems, so why not. :-)
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

interesting, our meal times are about sharing our day, and to some degree
the preparation process, since you are in charge it makes sense from both
the ease of preparation, and to some degree the denyal, if your dh likes
starches to not make seperate meals, Lee, glad to see you posting
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>> lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
>> cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>>
>> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
>> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
>> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>>
>> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
>> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
>> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
>> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no
>> problem making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables
>> and some sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables
>> but he will have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>>
>> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
>> Lee

> I completely understand. I am not diabetic and I love pasta and noodles. I
> am the chief cook, however, so I would be the one who would be making
> separate meals. It would also bother me to have two people eating
> different meals as that isn't what the dinner table is all about in our
> home.
>
> I eat low carb with him and when we go to a restaurant or when I go out
> for lunch with my gal pals, I indulge my desire for a bowl of pasta or
> noodles.
>
> Since your DH does all the cooking, you might want to have him find meals
> that would suit both of you. It is a challenge, but it can be done.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

dh and i have this greement, i will clean the kitchen all the time if i
don't have to cook, steaks, if i am forced to eat beef, same also, he wants
his talking as it goes down... ug, lol, Lee, also lover of the dreaded
brussels sprouts,
"KROM" > wrote in message

> wife and I have a understanding..I cook she cleans...lol
>
> she is very picky but we make it work..usually its simply me pulling my
> steak off the fire a long time before hers is done <burnt>
>
> I will cook the main proteins for us both..but use separate containers as
> she likes her meat near burnt I like mine still moving.
>
> I detest her veggies so we keep those separate as well..such as <gag>
> Brussels sprouts.
>
> she likes her eggs fried to being near powder I like mine runny or usually
> not scrambled at all..I love omelets she hates anything in her eggs but
> eggs..
>
> she hates cheese on burgers..I love it...same for bacon on burgers
>
> I also have become so good at subbing that the taste is the same in a lot
> of foods so that we both eat the same items...I will start off making her
> zucchini bread with reg stuff and she will say mine tastes better...lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>> lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
>> cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>>
>> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
>> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
>> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>>
>> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
>> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
>> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
>> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no
>> problem making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables
>> and some sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables
>> but he will have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>>
>> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
>> Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, Lee
"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Stormmee > wrote:
>>i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>>lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
>>cook,
>>inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?

> My partner generally eats higher-carb and vegetarian, while I focus more
> on
> proteins, vegetables and small amounts of carbs as side dishes. Quite
> often,
> she ends up cooking simpler food for herself after she gets done preparing
> my
> meals. It's therefore awesome when we can agree on eating the same thing.
>
> Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i meant it as a compliment, to him and my dh, my dh has taken lots of
ribbing for being the main cook in my house...

totally off topic, could you email me privately... i want to ask you
if/what, screen readeryou use...

Leee
"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Stormmee > wrote:
>>btw part of the reason you have
>>been married so long is that YOU are the cook, not just because you can
>>cook, but you are man enough to do so, Lee

> I don't think it's a question of being man enough. I used to cook a lot
> more
> when I lived alone. Between my partner and our housemates, the kitchen is
> never
> organized as my blindness requires.
>
> Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

LOL..My husband likes his steak well done too...he puts his steak on first
and then when it is almost done he puts mine on. I prefer MR.
I cook what my husband likes and I will make myself a different veggie if I
need to. If we have potatoes I will eat a small amount ... If we have rice
then I will be happy with my salad and steamed veggie. If we have spaghetti
he will eat the regular spaghetti and I will use a spaghetti squash

"KROM" > wrote in message

> wife and I have a understanding..I cook she cleans...lol
>
> she is very picky but we make it work..usually its simply me pulling my
> steak off the fire a long time before hers is done <burnt>
>
> I will cook the main proteins for us both..but use separate containers as
> she likes her meat near burnt I like mine still moving.
>
> I detest her veggies so we keep those separate as well..such as <gag>
> Brussels sprouts.
>
> she likes her eggs fried to being near powder I like mine runny or usually
> not scrambled at all..I love omelets she hates anything in her eggs but
> eggs..
>
> she hates cheese on burgers..I love it...same for bacon on burgers
>
> I also have become so good at subbing that the taste is the same in a lot
> of foods so that we both eat the same items...I will start off making her
> zucchini bread with reg stuff and she will say mine tastes better...lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>> lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
>> cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>>
>> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
>> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
>> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>>
>> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
>> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
>> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
>> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no
>> problem making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables
>> and some sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables
>> but he will have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>>
>> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
>> Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main cook,
>inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>
> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>
> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no problem
> making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables and some
> sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables but he will
> have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>
> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
> Lee

First off, I do not do low carb. But I do not do high carb either. And
because of our food allergies, I can't always cook the same meal for all of
us.

I was usually taking less carb for myself, but...

After Angela went to the Dr. yesterday and got weighed, I realize I have to
put my foot down now and cut back on her portions. Because of her food
allergies, much of what she has been eating is carbs. Rice, rice pasta,
potatoes, and chips of various things. She also eats rice based bread and
it is much higher in carbs than wheat bread.

So for her I am enforcing that she must eat more fruits and vegetables. I
would prefer less fruits, but...she really hates vegetables. We'll see how
that goes.

She just woke up and is screaming for food. We are going to lunch with my
parents. I keep telling her this. She wants to eat before lunch. Now if
she had gotten up earlier then breakfast would have been fine. But not now.

Then we have the cat who needs to put on weight. I discovered the other day
that she loves white rice. She also loves potatoes. So if I make extra of
those (provided there are no onions in there), I know what to do with them!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie couldn't she have eat a half of an apple to tide her over, or some
other kind of small snack . Maybe she was having low blood sugar .

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>>lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
>>cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>>
>> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
>> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
>> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>>
>> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
>> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
>> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
>> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no
>> problem making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables
>> and some sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables
>> but he will have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>>
>> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
>> Lee

> First off, I do not do low carb. But I do not do high carb either. And
> because of our food allergies, I can't always cook the same meal for all
> of us.
>
> I was usually taking less carb for myself, but...
>
> After Angela went to the Dr. yesterday and got weighed, I realize I have
> to put my foot down now and cut back on her portions. Because of her food
> allergies, much of what she has been eating is carbs. Rice, rice pasta,
> potatoes, and chips of various things. She also eats rice based bread and
> it is much higher in carbs than wheat bread.
>
> So for her I am enforcing that she must eat more fruits and vegetables. I
> would prefer less fruits, but...she really hates vegetables. We'll see
> how that goes.
>
> She just woke up and is screaming for food. We are going to lunch with my
> parents. I keep telling her this. She wants to eat before lunch. Now if
> she had gotten up earlier then breakfast would have been fine. But not
> now.
>
> Then we have the cat who needs to put on weight. I discovered the other
> day that she loves white rice. She also loves potatoes. So if I make
> extra of those (provided there are no onions in there), I know what to do
> with them!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>> lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
>> cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>>
>> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
>> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
>> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>>
>> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
>> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
>> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
>> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no
>> problem making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables
>> and some sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables
>> but he will have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>>
>> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
>> Lee

> I completely understand. I am not diabetic and I love pasta and noodles. I
> am the chief cook, however, so I would be the one who would be making
> separate meals. It would also bother me to have two people eating
> different meals as that isn't what the dinner table is all about in our
> home.
>
> I eat low carb with him and when we go to a restaurant or when I go out
> for lunch with my gal pals, I indulge my desire for a bowl of pasta or
> noodles.
>
> Since your DH does all the cooking, you might want to have him find meals
> that would suit both of you. It is a challenge, but it can be done.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

I don't think you really have to fix "different meals"...you just have to do
some adjusting. We can both eat salads and some of the same veggies, we can
eat the same proteins, If he has rice I don't, I don't miss it and I am just
as happy with the salad, and the protein. Sitting at our dinner table isn't
so much about the meal as it is about talking over our day and enjoying each
others company

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

have the cats thyroid checked, and mix in a bit of cheese with that rice,...
kitty will plump right up, Lee, *better expert on cat food needs than human*
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>>lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
>>cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>>
>> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
>> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
>> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>>
>> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
>> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
>> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
>> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no
>> problem making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables
>> and some sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables
>> but he will have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>>
>> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
>> Lee

> First off, I do not do low carb. But I do not do high carb either. And
> because of our food allergies, I can't always cook the same meal for all
> of us.
>
> I was usually taking less carb for myself, but...
>
> After Angela went to the Dr. yesterday and got weighed, I realize I have
> to put my foot down now and cut back on her portions. Because of her food
> allergies, much of what she has been eating is carbs. Rice, rice pasta,
> potatoes, and chips of various things. She also eats rice based bread and
> it is much higher in carbs than wheat bread.
>
> So for her I am enforcing that she must eat more fruits and vegetables. I
> would prefer less fruits, but...she really hates vegetables. We'll see
> how that goes.
>
> She just woke up and is screaming for food. We are going to lunch with my
> parents. I keep telling her this. She wants to eat before lunch. Now if
> she had gotten up earlier then breakfast would have been fine. But not
> now.
>
> Then we have the cat who needs to put on weight. I discovered the other
> day that she loves white rice. She also loves potatoes. So if I make
> extra of those (provided there are no onions in there), I know what to do
> with them!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

tht is how our dinner is, and sometimes we do eat the same things, but
others, we don't, i am just really grateful he is a person who enjoys
cooking, Lee
"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>>> lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
>>> cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>>>
>>> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
>>> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
>>> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>>>
>>> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
>>> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
>>> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
>>> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no
>>> problem making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables
>>> and some sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables
>>> but he will have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>>>
>>> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
>>> Lee

>> I completely understand. I am not diabetic and I love pasta and noodles.
>> I am the chief cook, however, so I would be the one who would be making
>> separate meals. It would also bother me to have two people eating
>> different meals as that isn't what the dinner table is all about in our
>> home.
>>
>> I eat low carb with him and when we go to a restaurant or when I go out
>> for lunch with my gal pals, I indulge my desire for a bowl of pasta or
>> noodles.
>>
>> Since your DH does all the cooking, you might want to have him find meals
>> that would suit both of you. It is a challenge, but it can be done.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>>

> I don't think you really have to fix "different meals"...you just have to
> do some adjusting. We can both eat salads and some of the same veggies, we
> can eat the same proteins, If he has rice I don't, I don't miss it and I
> am just as happy with the salad, and the protein. Sitting at our dinner
> table isn't so much about the meal as it is about talking over our day and
> enjoying each others company

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
>I was usually taking less carb for myself, but...
>After Angela went to the Dr. yesterday and got weighed, I realize I have to
>put my foot down now and cut back on her portions. Because of her food
>allergies, much of what she has been eating is carbs. Rice, rice pasta,
>potatoes, and chips of various things. She also eats rice based bread and
>it is much higher in carbs than wheat bread.
>So for her I am enforcing that she must eat more fruits and vegetables. I
>would prefer less fruits, but...she really hates vegetables. We'll see how
>that goes.

How old is Angela? Do her allergies include meat, fish, poultry and eggs? With
all due respect, I get the impression that Angela has become culinarily
spoiled.

>She just woke up and is screaming for food.

Then let her get her own food. She either wakes up when you're preparing food
or fends for herself. I don't know anything about the rest of your parenting,
but from months reading your posts, I've got the unshakable impression that you
coddle Angela in terms of food.

>We are going to lunch with my parents. I keep telling her this. She wants to

eat before lunch. Now if
>she had gotten up earlier then breakfast would have been fine. But not now.

Can she have a low-carb protein shake that will satiate her before lunch? I've
been drinking low-carb Slim Fast, which has reduced my appetite.

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee > wrote:
: i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
: lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main cook,
: inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?

When my husband ws alive, we ate the same meaatls with a few additions or
slight differences. For examle, I might make rice or noodles for him to
put under some wet cooked food which i would et sans starch, like my
chinese meals. If we had meat, vegetable and tiny potatoes, I would have
1-2 tiny potatoes adn he would have 5 ro 6. I kept chocolate chip cookies
in the house which he "hid" out of my sight and mind, so he coul dhave one
or two of an evening. I always had is fvorite, rye bread, in the house nd
he would get that with a meal or ue it asa base for a dish with gravy,
etc. At breakfast he would have cold cereall wth half a banan and soem
berries and I would have cottage cheese with teh berries and some yogurt.
If we had eggs, he would get regular toast, bread or muffin adn I woudl
have Wasa Cracker or low carb bread(Pepperidge Farms s5 gr. of carb
stuff) He got regular jamand I used my home made no sugar added jams.

When the kids come over I havae both breead and Wasa crackers on the
table, and several dishes some with and some low carb so each can choose
which suits.

At Thanksgiving I make low carrb dressing (lots of vegetables adn low carb
bread with plenty of portobello mushroom chunks) , no sugar cranberry
sauce, vegetables, like plainbroccoli, which my grandkids like, pumkin
pie with artificial sweetener adn a nut crust, one crust(top) ale pie or
cobbler with teh apose sweetened with artificial sweetener and a bigh
starchy dish I avoid, but the others like.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
> lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
> cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
> [ . . . ]

Jun cooks lo-carb for me (most of the time). She knows I love pasta with
her tomato sauce and grated cheese. When I get that, it's a small portion.

She's working today. Before she left, she showed me all the makings for a
cheeseburger, which I'll have to cook and assemble. Now, I can't find them!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if I'm ever captured by the enemy and they want me to talk...force feed me
Brussels sprouts..gak!

KROM

"Stormmee" > wrote
> dh and i have this greement, i will clean the kitchen all the time if i
> don't have to cook, steaks, if i am forced to eat beef, same also, he
> wants his talking as it goes down... ug, lol, Lee, also lover of the
> dreaded brussels sprouts,

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I tried some tofu noodles see my review in separate thread

:-)

KROM

"Jacquie" > wrote ...
> LOL..My husband likes his steak well done too...he puts his steak on first
> and then when it is almost done he puts mine on. I prefer MR.
> I cook what my husband likes and I will make myself a different veggie if
> I need to. If we have potatoes I will eat a small amount ... If we have
> rice then I will be happy with my salad and steamed veggie. If we have
> spaghetti he will eat the regular spaghetti and I will use a spaghetti
> squash

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

NO way. I eat, or used to eat, totally different to everyone else in the
family. My insulin resistance is low to non existent at the moment so I eat
more carbs but back in the day if kids wanted crumbed food then I ate plain
protein, we all eat the veggies but they have added rice, pasta, chips or
whatever. I have always been able to eat a certain amount of pineapple even
when doing relatively low carb. Unsweetened canned was my usual. In a salad
or a main meal dish or grilled with ham steaks. Sometimes kids have spag
bol, lasagne, shepherd's pie etc.

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
> lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
> cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>
> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>
> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no problem
> making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables and some
> sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables but he will
> have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>
> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
> Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Stormmee > wrote:
> : i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
> : lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
> cook,
> : inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>
> When my husband ws alive, we ate the same meaatls with a few additions or
> slight differences. For examle, I might make rice or noodles for him to
> put under some wet cooked food which i would et sans starch, like my
> chinese meals. If we had meat, vegetable and tiny potatoes, I would have
> 1-2 tiny potatoes adn he would have 5 ro 6. I kept chocolate chip cookies
> in the house which he "hid" out of my sight and mind, so he coul dhave one
> or two of an evening. I always had is fvorite, rye bread, in the house nd
> he would get that with a meal or ue it asa base for a dish with gravy,
> etc. At breakfast he would have cold cereall wth half a banan and soem
> berries and I would have cottage cheese with teh berries and some yogurt.
> If we had eggs, he would get regular toast, bread or muffin adn I woudl
> have Wasa Cracker or low carb bread(Pepperidge Farms s5 gr. of carb
> stuff) He got regular jamand I used my home made no sugar added jams.
>
> When the kids come over I havae both breead and Wasa crackers on the
> table, and several dishes some with and some low carb so each can choose
> which suits.
>
> At Thanksgiving I make low carrb dressing (lots of vegetables adn low carb
> bread with plenty of portobello mushroom chunks) , no sugar cranberry
> sauce, vegetables, like plainbroccoli, which my grandkids like, pumkin
> pie with artificial sweetener adn a nut crust, one crust(top) ale pie or
> cobbler with teh apose sweetened with artificial sweetener and a bigh
> starchy dish I avoid, but the others like.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol, Lee
"KROM" > wrote in message
> if I'm ever captured by the enemy and they want me to talk...force feed me
> Brussels sprouts..gak!
>
> KROM
>

> "Stormmee" > wrote
>> dh and i have this greement, i will clean the kitchen all the time if i
>> don't have to cook, steaks, if i am forced to eat beef, same also, he
>> wants his talking as it goes down... ug, lol, Lee, also lover of the
>> dreaded brussels sprouts,

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, Lee
"KROM" > wrote in message
>I tried some tofu noodles see my review in separate thread
>
> :-)
>
> KROM
>

> "Jacquie" > wrote ...
>> LOL..My husband likes his steak well done too...he puts his steak on
>> first and then when it is almost done he puts mine on. I prefer MR.
>> I cook what my husband likes and I will make myself a different veggie if
>> I need to. If we have potatoes I will eat a small amount ... If we have
>> rice then I will be happy with my salad and steamed veggie. If we have
>> spaghetti he will eat the regular spaghetti and I will use a spaghetti
>> squash

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> NO way. I eat, or used to eat, totally different to everyone else in the
> family. My insulin resistance is low to non existent at the moment so I
> eat more carbs but back in the day if kids wanted crumbed food then I ate
> plain protein, we all eat the veggies but they have added rice, pasta,
> chips or whatever. I have always been able to eat a certain amount of
> pineapple even when doing relatively low carb. Unsweetened canned was my
> usual. In a salad or a main meal dish or grilled with ham steaks.
> Sometimes kids have spag bol, lasagne, shepherd's pie etc.
>
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>> lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
>> cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>>
>> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
>> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
>> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>>
>> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
>> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
>> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
>> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no
>> problem making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables
>> and some sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables
>> but he will have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>>
>> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
>> Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I am of the opinion that everyone has different tastes and likes and just
because I am the cook doesn't mean their wishes have to be over ridden. I
would cook 10 different meals if necessary. We have 7 people in this house,
an adult daughter and her two babies and she has been used to cooking for
her family for more than 10 years. If she doesn't want what I am cooking she
will say so and usually cook separately for her and the babies. I have an
adult son living here too who manages to miss one meal a day because of his
work/sleep/gym hours. He eats a massive meal for dinner which he eats at 3
am when he gets home. The other two are 15 and 14 and have bottomless pits
when it comes to food. The 3 youngest aren't that into vegetables so it
wouldn't matter if I cooked a plateful of lower carb veggies they are going
to feel deprived. My ex comes over about 2-3 times a week for dinner and his
diabetes isn't easy to control (long history of falling off the wagon) so he
has mostly low carb veggies and meat by choice. Having said that, he still
has the right to choose gravy, potato or rice or pasta if he desires, 9
times out of 10 he won't but occasionally will have a small helping of one
of the carbier foods and take extra insulin. He bought a large cake over for
our son's 19th birthday but ate none of it yet had ice cream at a restaurant
recently when we all went out for dinner.

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> interesting, our meal times are about sharing our day, and to some degree
> the preparation process, since you are in charge it makes sense from both
> the ease of preparation, and to some degree the denyal, if your dh likes
> starches to not make seperate meals, Lee, glad to see you posting
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>>> lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
>>> cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>>>
>>> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
>>> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
>>> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>>>
>>> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
>>> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
>>> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
>>> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no
>>> problem making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables
>>> and some sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables
>>> but he will have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>>>
>>> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
>>> Lee

>> I completely understand. I am not diabetic and I love pasta and noodles.
>> I am the chief cook, however, so I would be the one who would be making
>> separate meals. It would also bother me to have two people eating
>> different meals as that isn't what the dinner table is all about in our
>> home.
>>
>> I eat low carb with him and when we go to a restaurant or when I go out
>> for lunch with my gal pals, I indulge my desire for a bowl of pasta or
>> noodles.
>>
>> Since your DH does all the cooking, you might want to have him find meals
>> that would suit both of you. It is a challenge, but it can be done.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I love Brussels Sprouts...LOL

"KROM" > wrote in message
> if I'm ever captured by the enemy and they want me to talk...force feed me
> Brussels sprouts..gak!
>
> KROM
>

> "Stormmee" > wrote
>> dh and i have this greement, i will clean the kitchen all the time if i
>> don't have to cook, steaks, if i am forced to eat beef, same also, he
>> wants his talking as it goes down... ug, lol, Lee, also lover of the
>> dreaded brussels sprouts,

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> Julie couldn't she have eat a half of an apple to tide her over, or some
> other kind of small snack . Maybe she was having low blood sugar .

I told her to have a pack of apple slices. So far she has been good. The
only other thing she ate outside of meal time was some yogurt and she only
got that because the Dr. told her she needed to eat it daily while taking
the antibiotic.

We go every week for lunch with my parents and almost every time she sleeps
in late so has nothing to eat until lunch. It was only because I told her
this morning that she didn't need to eat because we were going to a
restaurant that she freaked.

I really don't think she knows what true hunger is. I don't think she has
ever felt it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> have the cats thyroid checked, and mix in a bit of cheese with that
> rice,... kitty will plump right up, Lee, *better expert on cat food needs
> than human*

She is hyperthyroid. Although she loves cheese, I can't give it to her
because she throws it right back up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>I was usually taking less carb for myself, but...
>>After Angela went to the Dr. yesterday and got weighed, I realize I have
>>put my foot down now and cut back on her portions. Because of her food
>>allergies, much of what she has been eating is carbs. Rice, rice pasta,
>>potatoes, and chips of various things. She also eats rice based bread and
>>it is much higher in carbs than wheat bread.
>>So for her I am enforcing that she must eat more fruits and vegetables. I
>>would prefer less fruits, but...she really hates vegetables. We'll see
>>how
>>that goes.

> How old is Angela? Do her allergies include meat, fish, poultry and eggs?
> With
> all due respect, I get the impression that Angela has become culinarily
> spoiled.

She just turned 12. She was allergic to eggs but has outgrown it. The Dr.
said no more than one egg per week if that. Would probably be best for her
not to have any at all, at least most of the time. She tested borderline
for eggs. Mainly if she does have eggs they are in the form of a baked good
or in ranch dressing.

She doesn't like meat really, except for chicken and I hate chicken. As for
the fish, she will eat tuna, fish sticks and gluten free breaded cod. I
don't personally think fish is a very good thing for children to eat very
much of because of the mercury in it and I can't stand most fish. So it's
just not something I keep around much. The gluten free cod is very
expensive so I only get it every few months. She also likes it with French
fries, so that's not a very good meal.

>>She just woke up and is screaming for food.

> Then let her get her own food. She either wakes up when you're preparing
> food
> or fends for herself. I don't know anything about the rest of your
> parenting,
> but from months reading your posts, I've got the unshakable impression
> that you
> coddle Angela in terms of food.

The problem is... When I let her get her own food, she doesn't eat a good
healthy meal. I have been letting her do that. She will eat nothing but
rice cakes. Or just some popcorn. She will not usually eat vegetables on
her own and rarely gets any protein. She has nut allergies so nut butter is
out of the question. I do keep cooked chicken and turkey in the fridge.
Sometimes she will eat that but I generally have to push her to do it.

>>We are going to lunch with my parents. I keep telling her this. She
>>wants to

> eat before lunch. Now if
>>she had gotten up earlier then breakfast would have been fine. But not
>>now.

> Can she have a low-carb protein shake that will satiate her before lunch?
> I've
> been drinking low-carb Slim Fast, which has reduced my appetite.

No. She has outgrown a dairy allergy and can have dairy only twice a week.
She can not have Slim Fast because of the soy in it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I am of the opinion that everyone has different tastes and likes and just
>because I am the cook doesn't mean their wishes have to be over ridden. I
>would cook 10 different meals if necessary. We have 7 people in this house,
>an adult daughter and her two babies and she has been used to cooking for
>her family for more than 10 years. If she doesn't want what I am cooking
>she will say so and usually cook separately for her and the babies. I have
>an adult son living here too who manages to miss one meal a day because of
>his work/sleep/gym hours. He eats a massive meal for dinner which he eats
>at 3 am when he gets home. The other two are 15 and 14 and have bottomless
>pits when it comes to food. The 3 youngest aren't that into vegetables so
>it wouldn't matter if I cooked a plateful of lower carb veggies they are
>going to feel deprived. My ex comes over about 2-3 times a week for dinner
>and his diabetes isn't easy to control (long history of falling off the
>wagon) so he has mostly low carb veggies and meat by choice. Having said
>that, he still has the right to choose gravy, potato or rice or pasta if he
>desires, 9 times out of 10 he won't but occasionally will have a small
>helping of one of the carbier foods and take extra insulin. He bought a
>large cake over for our son's 19th birthday but ate none of it yet had ice
>cream at a restaurant recently when we all went out for dinner.

I grew up in a house where for the most part, everyone got what they wanted
to eat, most of the time. Yes, there was the horrid year when both parents
went on Weight Watchers. Then, nobody got to eat what they wanted to eat,
ever! My friends wouldn't eat at our house without first seeing what was
being served.

Now that didn't mean that my mom (or I when I did the cooking) would cook
several different meals. One day I would pick the main dish. The next day
my brother would pick it. One day I would pick the vegetable and the next
day my brother would pick it. He always picked corn. Yes, I know corn is a
grain. But in our house we had canned peas, corn and green beans all the
time. There were beets and tomatoes but only my dad and I liked those. We
also had canned potatoes sometimes but only I liked them. Sometimes my mom
bought canned asparagus but only she liked it. We still had to eat whatever
it was whether we liked it or not, if it was served. And there was almost
always green salad. But that's when we ate at home. And mostly we didn't.
We dined out a lot because then everyone could get what they wanted.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
>I really don't think she knows what true hunger is. I don't think she has
>ever felt it.

Perhaps, she should feel it just once, if only to gain some perspective.

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
>She doesn't like meat really, except for chicken and I hate chicken.

Can you not make her chicken more often as you did a few weeks ago?

>As for the fish, she will eat tuna, fish sticks and gluten free breaded cod.

I don't personally think fish is a very good thing for children to eat very
>much of because of the mercury in it and I can't stand most fish. So it's
>just not something I keep around much. The gluten free cod is very
>expensive so I only get it every few months. She also likes it with French
>fries, so that's not a very good meal.

Fish are so amazingly varied in flavor and texture that I'm sure you and Angela
could find fish you both like, and it doesn't all have to be breaded. I love
seared fish with Thai curry poured over it at the last minute so that the fish
doesn't get soggy. The crispness comes from searing rather than breading.

>The problem is... When I let her get her own food, she doesn't eat a good
>healthy meal. I have been letting her do that. She will eat nothing but
>rice cakes. Or just some popcorn. She will not usually eat vegetables on
>her own and rarely gets any protein.

Angela is twelve! Twelve! You can control everything she eats in your presence,
as long as it stays within her permissible foods, which you're good at. She
just needs to eat what you give her and quit fussing.

>She has nut allergies so nut butter is
>out of the question. I do keep cooked chicken and turkey in the fridge.
>Sometimes she will eat that but I generally have to push her to do it.

It's easy to get anyone to eat something if there's nothing else around or
prepared. The more choices you give her, the less healthy items she'll pick. I
was a picky eater as a child and finally learned to like many foods because I
had no choice but to eat them.

>No. She has outgrown a dairy allergy and can have dairy only twice a week.
>She can not have Slim Fast because of the soy in it.

There are plenty of protein powder options without dairy or soy. You could make
her shakes with yogurt and fresh fruit, which would be better than half the
processed foods she seems to want.

Don't give up.

Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>I really don't think she knows what true hunger is. I don't think she has
>>ever felt it.

> Perhaps, she should feel it just once, if only to gain some perspective.

That's what I'm working on.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>She doesn't like meat really, except for chicken and I hate chicken.

> Can you not make her chicken more often as you did a few weeks ago?

That chicken is still in the freezer. We have just not been home to eat it.

>>As for the fish, she will eat tuna, fish sticks and gluten free breaded
>>cod.

> I don't personally think fish is a very good thing for children to eat
> very
>>much of because of the mercury in it and I can't stand most fish. So it's
>>just not something I keep around much. The gluten free cod is very
>>expensive so I only get it every few months. She also likes it with
>>French
>>fries, so that's not a very good meal.

> Fish are so amazingly varied in flavor and texture that I'm sure you and
> Angela
> could find fish you both like, and it doesn't all have to be breaded. I
> love
> seared fish with Thai curry poured over it at the last minute so that the
> fish
> doesn't get soggy. The crispness comes from searing rather than breading.

I absolutely hate fish! I can't stand curry either. You could not pay me
to eat fish except for the occasional tuna from a can. My parents went on
Weight Watchers and I was forced to eat fish night after night. I also have
a severe fish phobia that I'm not going to get into here. So, no. Not
gonna happen. Fish is very common in restaurants here. If she wants to try
it, she can try it there. She doesn't and I won't push the issue.

>>The problem is... When I let her get her own food, she doesn't eat a good
>>healthy meal. I have been letting her do that. She will eat nothing but
>>rice cakes. Or just some popcorn. She will not usually eat vegetables on
>>her own and rarely gets any protein.

> Angela is twelve! Twelve! You can control everything she eats in your
> presence,
> as long as it stays within her permissible foods, which you're good at.
> She
> just needs to eat what you give her and quit fussing.

If I try to give her something she doesn't like, she just throws it out and
gets something she does like. She is almost as big as I am and very strong.
She works out with weights and takes a lot of exercise. There is no way I
can make her eat something.

>>She has nut allergies so nut butter is
>>out of the question. I do keep cooked chicken and turkey in the fridge.
>>Sometimes she will eat that but I generally have to push her to do it.

> It's easy to get anyone to eat something if there's nothing else around or
> prepared. The more choices you give her, the less healthy items she'll
> pick. I
> was a picky eater as a child and finally learned to like many foods
> because I
> had no choice but to eat them.

I was a picky eater and still am. I learned all sorts of ways of disposing
of food that I didn't like. And I'd much rather go hungry that try to gag
down something I don't like.

>>No. She has outgrown a dairy allergy and can have dairy only twice a
>>week.
>>She can not have Slim Fast because of the soy in it.

> There are plenty of protein powder options without dairy or soy. You could
> make
> her shakes with yogurt and fresh fruit, which would be better than half
> the
> processed foods she seems to want.

Yogurt is dairy! The only protein powder I know of that isn't dairy or soy
is rice protein. I don't know that it is a good option. It's pretty high
in carbs. I bought some for myself when I was first diagnosed with food
allergies. I didn't know how to consume it. I was told to mix it with
pudding or yogurt. Neither of which I can or will eat. So I wound up
throwing it out.

> Don't give up.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

interesting, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>I am of the opinion that everyone has different tastes and likes and just
>>because I am the cook doesn't mean their wishes have to be over ridden. I
>>would cook 10 different meals if necessary. We have 7 people in this
>>house, an adult daughter and her two babies and she has been used to
>>cooking for her family for more than 10 years. If she doesn't want what I
>>am cooking she will say so and usually cook separately for her and the
>>babies. I have an adult son living here too who manages to miss one meal
>>a day because of his work/sleep/gym hours. He eats a massive meal for
>>dinner which he eats at 3 am when he gets home. The other two are 15 and
>>14 and have bottomless pits when it comes to food. The 3 youngest aren't
>>that into vegetables so it wouldn't matter if I cooked a plateful of lower
>>carb veggies they are going to feel deprived. My ex comes over about 2-3
>>times a week for dinner and his diabetes isn't easy to control (long
>>history of falling off the wagon) so he has mostly low carb veggies and
>>meat by choice. Having said that, he still has the right to choose gravy,
>>potato or rice or pasta if he desires, 9 times out of 10 he won't but
>>occasionally will have a small helping of one of the carbier foods and
>>take extra insulin. He bought a large cake over for our son's 19th
>>birthday but ate none of it yet had ice cream at a restaurant recently
>>when we all went out for dinner.

> I grew up in a house where for the most part, everyone got what they
> wanted to eat, most of the time. Yes, there was the horrid year when both
> parents went on Weight Watchers. Then, nobody got to eat what they wanted
> to eat, ever! My friends wouldn't eat at our house without first seeing
> what was being served.
>
> Now that didn't mean that my mom (or I when I did the cooking) would cook
> several different meals. One day I would pick the main dish. The next
> day my brother would pick it. One day I would pick the vegetable and the
> next day my brother would pick it. He always picked corn. Yes, I know
> corn is a grain. But in our house we had canned peas, corn and green
> beans all the time. There were beets and tomatoes but only my dad and I
> liked those. We also had canned potatoes sometimes but only I liked them.
> Sometimes my mom bought canned asparagus but only she liked it. We still
> had to eat whatever it was whether we liked it or not, if it was served.
> And there was almost always green salad. But that's when we ate at home.
> And mostly we didn't. We dined out a lot because then everyone could get
> what they wanted.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

currently going through this with my calico, bummer she hurkes it... be
aware that many cats are also diabetic, and ht often masks this, Lee... just
knowing susan does NOT want kitty diabetic recipes, lol
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> have the cats thyroid checked, and mix in a bit of cheese with that
>> rice,... kitty will plump right up, Lee, *better expert on cat food needs
>> than human*

> She is hyperthyroid. Although she loves cheese, I can't give it to her
> because she throws it right back up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>i know this is going to sound odd, but while everyone here is in need of
>>lower carb meals. having that as a given, do you, if you are the main
>>cook, inforce this on the rest of the people you cook for?
>>
>> I ask this not as a way to start an arguement, but i am trying to
>> understand this dynamic, i started wondering this after getting negative
>> feedback about the pork and pineapple idea i posted,
>>
>> the reason i ask is that often DH makes noodles for himself, and either
>> brown rice for me or i just have it in a bowl, so this started me
>> wondering, how many of you cook to order, require those you cook for to
>> eat as you do, or what> the dh does most of our cooking and has no
>> problem making two completely seperate meals, mine is often vegetables
>> and some sort of protien, chicken or soy, we might share the vegetables
>> but he will have say beef and potatoes or noodles with his...
>>
>> sorry this is rambling and i hope i am getting acroos what i am asking,
>> Lee

> First off, I do not do low carb. But I do not do high carb either. And
> because of our food allergies, I can't always cook the same meal for all
> of us.
>
> I was usually taking less carb for myself, but...
>
> After Angela went to the Dr. yesterday and got weighed, I realize I have
> to put my foot down now and cut back on her portions. Because of her food
> allergies, much of what she has been eating is carbs. Rice, rice pasta,
> potatoes, and chips of various things. She also eats rice based bread and
> it is much higher in carbs than wheat bread.
>
> So for her I am enforcing that she must eat more fruits and vegetables. I
> would prefer less fruits, but...she really hates vegetables. We'll see
> how that goes.
>
> She just woke up and is screaming for food. We are going to lunch with my
> parents. I keep telling her this. She wants to eat before lunch. Now if
> she had gotten up earlier then breakfast would have been fine. But not
> now.
>
> Then we have the cat who needs to put on weight. I discovered the other
> day that she loves white rice. She also loves potatoes. So if I make
> extra of those (provided there are no onions in there), I know what to do
> with them!

Julie, cats who eat too many carbs can get diabetes. Rice and potatoes are
no good for cats.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

In the stony fastness of the mountains there is a strange market, where one
may barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss. - Milarepa

Just curious Epiphany Preserving 4 06-08-2008 03:59 AM
Just curious about something jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 30 26-04-2008 03:54 PM
Just curious luna the lurker[_1_] Mexican Cooking 4 22-02-2007 09:36 PM
curious [email protected] Vegetarian cooking 10 17-02-2005 12:16 AM