Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Reusing pickle "juice"..........

I'm finding I'm throwing away a 1/2 pt of delicious Bread and Butter "pickle
juice" every time we finish a jar. This is a vinegar/sugar based juice as
you know. I find this very wasteful. Can it be reused to make more pickles?
Thoughts and ideas please.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marie Dodge wrote:
> I'm finding I'm throwing away a 1/2 pt of delicious Bread and Butter "pickle
> juice" every time we finish a jar. This is a vinegar/sugar based juice as
> you know. I find this very wasteful. Can it be reused to make more pickles?
> Thoughts and ideas please.

I've often used it to make a cucumber salad. Put sliced cucumbers in it
and let them sit for a while in the refrigerator. The eventually become
sort of pickles, but never really pickled.

Geoff.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
> Marie Dodge wrote:
>> I'm finding I'm throwing away a 1/2 pt of delicious Bread and Butter
>> "pickle
>> juice" every time we finish a jar. This is a vinegar/sugar based juice as
>> you know. I find this very wasteful. Can it be reused to make more
>> pickles?
>> Thoughts and ideas please.

> I've often used it to make a cucumber salad. Put sliced cucumbers in it
> and let them sit for a while in the refrigerator. The eventually become
> sort of pickles, but never really pickled.
>
> Geoff.

I've had friends who pickle eggs in pickle juice. 2 hours or overnight. I've
tried it, and I just don't like pickled eggs. But I've pickled other stuff.
Tomatillos were nice, eggplant chunks, believe it or not and onions of
course, celery. But radishes whilst they may taste okay this way, loose
their color. This is all for consumption within the month.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, "Marie Dodge" >
wrote:

> I'm finding I'm throwing away a 1/2 pt of delicious Bread and Butter "pickle
> juice" every time we finish a jar. This is a vinegar/sugar based juice as
> you know. I find this very wasteful. Can it be reused to make more pickles?
> Thoughts and ideas please.

I don't. It's too much thinking for me to figure out how the leftover
diluted brine/syrup would fit into a fresh batch of bread & butters to
preserve. You could probably soak some cucumber slices in it for a
refrigerator pickle.

The people on rec.food.cooking will help you with how to use it in a
recipe; some use a bit in potato salad.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back and
Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
>> Marie Dodge wrote:
>>> I'm finding I'm throwing away a 1/2 pt of delicious Bread and Butter
>>> "pickle
>>> juice" every time we finish a jar. This is a vinegar/sugar based juice as
>>> you know. I find this very wasteful. Can it be reused to make more
>>> pickles?
>>> Thoughts and ideas please.

>> I've often used it to make a cucumber salad. Put sliced cucumbers in it
>> and let them sit for a while in the refrigerator. The eventually become
>> sort of pickles, but never really pickled.
>>
>> Geoff.
>>

> I've had friends who pickle eggs in pickle juice. 2 hours or overnight. I've
> tried it, and I just don't like pickled eggs.

What? You never sat around the EM club and drank beer, ate pickled eggs
and pickled sausage? Shame on you, that's the way real sojers show who
is the toughest. <VBG>
But I've pickled other stuff.
> Tomatillos were nice, eggplant chunks, believe it or not and onions of
> course, celery. But radishes whilst they may taste okay this way, loose
> their color. This is all for consumption within the month.
> Edrena

Use white radishes, I did some pickled white radishes once and they were
pretty good and didn't bleed out. Tried some black Spanish radishes that
way once and the whole blamed jar turned a really muddy looking color,
put me off my appetite that did.

We used to get jars of giardiana (sp?) which is pickled veggies
including turnips etc but no cukes when we lived overseas. I
particularly like the pickled carrot chunks and the pickled cauliflower.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Reusing pickle "juice".......... TO ALL!

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Marie Dodge" >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm finding I'm throwing away a 1/2 pt of delicious Bread and Butter
>> "pickle
>> juice" every time we finish a jar. This is a vinegar/sugar based juice as
>> you know. I find this very wasteful. Can it be reused to make more
>> pickles?
>> Thoughts and ideas please.

> I don't. It's too much thinking for me to figure out how the leftover
> diluted brine/syrup would fit into a fresh batch of bread & butters to
> preserve. You could probably soak some cucumber slices in it for a
> refrigerator pickle.
>
> The people on rec.food.cooking will help you with how to use it in a
> recipe; some use a bit in potato salad.

I think I'll ask over there. It doesn't taste diluted that's why I'm
wondering if I can bring it to a boil and make a fresh batch of B&Bs with
it. It kills me to see it go down the drain.

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back and
> is being updated quite regularly now.
> "rec.food.cooking Preserved Fruit Administrator
> 'Always in a jam. Never in a stew.'" - Evergene

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> I've had friends who pickle eggs in pickle juice. 2 hours or overnight.
> I've tried it, and I just don't like pickled eggs. But I've pickled other
> stuff. Tomatillos were nice, eggplant chunks, believe it or not and onions
> of course, celery. But radishes whilst they may taste okay this way, loose
> their color. This is all for consumption within the month.
> Edrena

I was thinking more of saving it in the fridge until I had a quart,
reboiling it and making more B&Bs with it. No one here will eat salads. They
end up on the compost pile.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Marie Dodge wrote:
>> I'm finding I'm throwing away a 1/2 pt of delicious Bread and
>> Butter "pickle juice" every time we finish a jar. This is a
>> vinegar/sugar based juice as you know. I find this very wasteful.
>> Can it be reused to make more pickles? Thoughts and ideas please.
>>

> I've often used it to make a cucumber salad. Put sliced cucumbers in
> it and let them sit for a while in the refrigerator. The eventually
> become sort of pickles, but never really pickled.

I just sliver up some carrots and give them a quick blanch. Then in the
juice for a few days and they're an extra on salads 'n stuff. Turnips
or rutabagas would probably work too.

It could be used as a marinade for pickled salmon, I imagine.

I would not re-use it for pickles as pickles.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"The Joneses" > wrote:

> "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
> > Marie Dodge wrote:
> >> I'm finding I'm throwing away a 1/2 pt of delicious Bread and
> >> Butter "pickle juice" every time we finish a jar. This is a
> >> vinegar/sugar based juice as you know. I find this very wasteful.
> >> Can it be reused to make more pickles? Thoughts and ideas please.
> >>

> > I've often used it to make a cucumber salad. Put sliced cucumbers in it
> > and let them sit for a while in the refrigerator. The eventually become
> > sort of pickles, but never really pickled.
> >

> I've had friends who pickle eggs in pickle juice. 2 hours or overnight. I've
> tried it, and I just don't like pickled eggs. But I've pickled other stuff.
> Tomatillos were nice, eggplant chunks, believe it or not and onions of
> course, celery. But radishes whilst they may taste okay this way, loose
> their color. This is all for consumption within the month.
> Edrena

I see I'm not the only one who does that. I pretty much do it only with
pickles now but I'll definitely be trying celery and onions. I tried it
with daikon radishes but I just didn't care for them that way.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:

> > I've had friends who pickle eggs in pickle juice. 2 hours or
> > overnight. I've tried it, and I just don't like pickled eggs.

> What? You never sat around the EM club and drank beer, ate pickled eggs
> and pickled sausage? Shame on you, that's the way real sojers show who
> is the toughest. <VBG>

My grandmother used to do eggs with beets but I never liked it.

Izzy
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> The Joneses wrote:

>>> I've had friends who pickle eggs in pickle juice. 2 hours or
>>> overnight. I've tried it, and I just don't like pickled eggs.

>> What? You never sat around the EM club and drank beer, ate pickled eggs
>> and pickled sausage? Shame on you, that's the way real sojers show who
>> is the toughest. <VBG>

> My grandmother used to do eggs with beets but I never liked it.
>
> Izzy

All the things I mentioned, along with the beer, generates enormous
amounts of internal combustion in humans. Maybe that's why soldiers in
my day loved it so much.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> > In article >,
> > George Shirley > wrote:

> >> What? You never sat around the EM club and drank beer, ate pickled eggs
> >> and pickled sausage? Shame on you, that's the way real sojers show who
> >> is the toughest. <VBG>

> > My grandmother used to do eggs with beets but I never liked it.

> All the things I mentioned, along with the beer, generates enormous
> amounts of internal combustion in humans. Maybe that's why soldiers in
> my day loved it so much.

I know! A veritable methane competition with the cows.
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
Isabella Woodhouse > wrote:

> In article >,
> "The Joneses" > wrote:

> > > I've often used it to make a cucumber salad. Put sliced cucumbers in it
> > > and let them sit for a while in the refrigerator. The eventually become
> > > sort of pickles, but never really pickled.
> > >

> > I've had friends who pickle eggs in pickle juice. 2 hours or overnight.
> > I've
> > tried it, and I just don't like pickled eggs. But I've pickled other stuff.
> > Tomatillos were nice, eggplant chunks, believe it or not and onions of
> > course, celery. But radishes whilst they may taste okay this way, loose
> > their color. This is all for consumption within the month.
> > Edrena

> I see I'm not the only one who does that. I pretty much do it only with
> pickles now but I'll definitely be trying celery and onions. I tried it
> with daikon radishes but I just didn't care for them that way.

Egad... I meant to say "cucumbers" not pickles.
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message

>> I've had friends who pickle eggs in pickle juice. 2 hours or overnight.
>> I've tried it, and I just don't like pickled eggs.

> What? You never sat around the EM club and drank beer, ate pickled eggs
> and pickled sausage? Shame on you, that's the way real sojers show who is
> the toughest. <VBG>

Oh George, Ah was a Lady Sojur (blushing)...

> We used to get jars of giardiana (sp?) which is pickled veggies including
> turnips etc but no cukes when we lived overseas. I particularly like the
> pickled carrot chunks and the pickled cauliflower.

That Winter Pickle in Small Batch Preserving is a form of this. And one can
jiggle around the amount of veggies according to the likes. I used a couple
cans of baby corns. The kids loved it.
Edrena