Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Water bath canning observation and question on RO (reverse osmosis)

Hi!

Observation:
I just bought a Four Seasons Electric Digital Fryer/Steamer/Boiler (sold
as an electric turkey fryer at Dick's Sporting Goods for approx. $90.00)
to try in water bath canning because of limited stove top AND
previous[bad] experiences in heat loss and general messiness of a
stove-top bath. What a pleasure!!! Fill it up. Set a temp. Let it rip.
Wait for the beep. Heat on only when needed. No heat loss from sides or
bottom as heating element is IN the water. When done, open the bottom
drain. It will be interesting to see if, in the heat of tomato season,
my small kitchen might be a more humane place!!!

Question:
The only defect is that the inner tank is aluminum (would love a
stainless version and I'd blanch lotsa stuff all at once in this 7.5
gallon tank). My water seems to be pretty hard and I get a LOT of
mineral buildup (splashing vinegar seems to remove a lot of that fast).
Does a reverse osmosis water system reduce water hardness and does
anybody have good experience with RO for an avid canner who is stuck
with hard city water??

Thanks
Matthew in Madison, Wisconsin
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:45:09 -0600, mberigan >
wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Observation:
>I just bought a Four Seasons Electric Digital Fryer/Steamer/Boiler (sold
>as an electric turkey fryer at Dick's Sporting Goods for approx. $90.00)
>to try in water bath canning because of limited stove top AND
>previous[bad] experiences in heat loss and general messiness of a
>stove-top bath. What a pleasure!!! Fill it up. Set a temp. Let it rip.
>Wait for the beep. Heat on only when needed. No heat loss from sides or
>bottom as heating element is IN the water. When done, open the bottom
>drain. It will be interesting to see if, in the heat of tomato season,
>my small kitchen might be a more humane place!!!
>
>Question:
>The only defect is that the inner tank is aluminum (would love a
>stainless version and I'd blanch lotsa stuff all at once in this 7.5
>gallon tank). My water seems to be pretty hard and I get a LOT of
>mineral buildup (splashing vinegar seems to remove a lot of that fast).
>Does a reverse osmosis water system reduce water hardness and does
>anybody have good experience with RO for an avid canner who is stuck
>with hard city water??
>
>Thanks
>Matthew in Madison, Wisconsin

Matthew,

Don't splash the vinegar in after the fact. Put it in the water you're
going to boil in the unit.
RO water will certainly reduce the mineral deposits but, you can buy a
heck of a lot of vinegar for the price of an RO system.

Ross.