Sara Gottlieb

Default Re-using canning bath water

Hi,

This is my last question tonight, I promise! Is it ok to re-use the
water in the canning bath for processing another batch of jars?

Thanks,
Sara
The Joneses

Sara Gottlieb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is my last question tonight, I promise! Is it ok to re-use the
> water in the canning bath for processing another batch of jars?
>
> Thanks,
> Sara

I reuse mine all day while I'm canning. Maybe even a second day. But
after that (even tho I have soft water in the house) I get deposits on
the jars. Nothing dangerous in that, just icky white stuff around the
jars.
Edrena

zxcvbob

Sara Gottlieb wrote:

> Is it ok to re-use the water in the canning bath for processing
> another batch of jars?
>
> Thanks, Sara

Yes.

zxcvbob

Sara Gottlieb wrote:

> Is it ok to re-use the water in the canning bath for processing
> another batch of jars?
>
> Thanks, Sara

Yes.

Bob (this one)

The Joneses wrote:

> Sara Gottlieb wrote:

>>This is my last question tonight, I promise! Is it ok to re-use the
>>water in the canning bath for processing another batch of jars?

> I reuse mine all day while I'm canning. Maybe even a second day. But
> after that (even tho I have soft water in the house) I get deposits on
> the jars. Nothing dangerous in that, just icky white stuff around the
> jars.

Throw a little white vinegar in there. Takes care of the white stuff.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

The Joneses wrote:

> Sara Gottlieb wrote:

>>This is my last question tonight, I promise! Is it ok to re-use the
>>water in the canning bath for processing another batch of jars?

> I reuse mine all day while I'm canning. Maybe even a second day. But
> after that (even tho I have soft water in the house) I get deposits on
> the jars. Nothing dangerous in that, just icky white stuff around the
> jars.

Throw a little white vinegar in there. Takes care of the white stuff.

Pastorio

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, The Joneses
> wrote:

> Sara Gottlieb wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is my last question tonight, I promise! Is it ok to re-use the
> > water in the canning bath for processing another batch of jars?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sara

> I reuse mine all day while I'm canning. Maybe even a second day. But
> after that (even tho I have soft water in the house) I get deposits on
> the jars. Nothing dangerous in that, just icky white stuff around the
> jars.
> Edrena

A glug of vinegar in the kettle is your friend, Edrena. Even if I use
soft water.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> >. Nothing dangerous in that, just icky white stuff around the
> > jars.

> Throw a little white vinegar in there. Takes care of the white stuff.
>
> Pastorio

What are you doing up at 4:00 a.m.? Or maybe I don't REALLY want to
know.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> >. Nothing dangerous in that, just icky white stuff around the
> > jars.

> Throw a little white vinegar in there. Takes care of the white stuff.
>
> Pastorio

What are you doing up at 4:00 a.m.? Or maybe I don't REALLY want to
know.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Bob (this one)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> > wrote:
>
>>The Joneses wrote:
>>
>>>Nothing dangerous in that, just icky white stuff around the
>>>jars.

>>Throw a little white vinegar in there. Takes care of the white stuff.
>>
>>Pastorio
>>

> What are you doing up at 4:00 a.m.? Or maybe I don't REALLY want to
> know.

Writers never sleep. Finishing up an article and making sure that the
tea plantations are prosperous.

I slept once in the late 90's and missed a lot. Broke that habit even
easier than quitting smoking.

Pastorio

Kathi

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> In article >, The Joneses
> > wrote:
>
> > Sara Gottlieb wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is my last question tonight, I promise! Is it ok to re-use the
> > > water in the canning bath for processing another batch of jars?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Sara

> > I reuse mine all day while I'm canning. Maybe even a second day. But
> > after that (even tho I have soft water in the house) I get deposits on
> > the jars. Nothing dangerous in that, just icky white stuff around the
> > jars.
> > Edrena

> A glug of vinegar in the kettle is your friend, Edrena. Even if I use
> soft water.

OK, the vinegar trick I know - what do you do for the rust colour? I
just made 2 batches of jam, one after the other, and reused the water
in the BWB. I guess my canner rack is rustier than I thought, because
now there's a rust colour on all the jars. I'm gonna toss the rack,
maybe even the canner, but how do I get the rust deposit off the jars?

Kathi
Kathi

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> In article >, The Joneses
> > wrote:
>
> > Sara Gottlieb wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is my last question tonight, I promise! Is it ok to re-use the
> > > water in the canning bath for processing another batch of jars?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Sara

> > I reuse mine all day while I'm canning. Maybe even a second day. But
> > after that (even tho I have soft water in the house) I get deposits on
> > the jars. Nothing dangerous in that, just icky white stuff around the
> > jars.
> > Edrena

> A glug of vinegar in the kettle is your friend, Edrena. Even if I use
> soft water.

OK, the vinegar trick I know - what do you do for the rust colour? I
just made 2 batches of jam, one after the other, and reused the water
in the BWB. I guess my canner rack is rustier than I thought, because
now there's a rust colour on all the jars. I'm gonna toss the rack,
maybe even the canner, but how do I get the rust deposit off the jars?

Kathi
George Shirley

Kathi wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
>
>>In article >, The Joneses
> wrote:

>>>I reuse mine all day while I'm canning. Maybe even a second day. But
>>>after that (even tho I have soft water in the house) I get deposits on
>>>the jars. Nothing dangerous in that, just icky white stuff around the
>>>jars.
>>>Edrena

>>A glug of vinegar in the kettle is your friend, Edrena. Even if I use
>>soft water.

> OK, the vinegar trick I know - what do you do for the rust colour? I
> just made 2 batches of jam, one after the other, and reused the water
> in the BWB. I guess my canner rack is rustier than I thought, because
> now there's a rust colour on all the jars. I'm gonna toss the rack,
> maybe even the canner, but how do I get the rust deposit off the jars?
>
> Kathi

Had the same problem until I found a stainless rack on the web. Run
water in the sink, about lukewarm, use one of those scrubber things, not
the metal one but the green tightly woven plastic one. Got the rust and
calcium deposits right off. Just don't mess about with the lid.

George

George Shirley

Kathi wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
>
>>In article >, The Joneses
> wrote:

>>>I reuse mine all day while I'm canning. Maybe even a second day. But
>>>after that (even tho I have soft water in the house) I get deposits on
>>>the jars. Nothing dangerous in that, just icky white stuff around the
>>>jars.
>>>Edrena

>>A glug of vinegar in the kettle is your friend, Edrena. Even if I use
>>soft water.

> OK, the vinegar trick I know - what do you do for the rust colour? I
> just made 2 batches of jam, one after the other, and reused the water
> in the BWB. I guess my canner rack is rustier than I thought, because
> now there's a rust colour on all the jars. I'm gonna toss the rack,
> maybe even the canner, but how do I get the rust deposit off the jars?
>
> Kathi

Had the same problem until I found a stainless rack on the web. Run
water in the sink, about lukewarm, use one of those scrubber things, not
the metal one but the green tightly woven plastic one. Got the rust and
calcium deposits right off. Just don't mess about with the lid.

George

The Joneses

Kathi wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> > In article >, The Joneses
> > > wrote:

> > > I reuse mine all day while I'm canning. Maybe even a second day. But
> > > after that (even tho I have soft water in the house) I get deposits on
> > > the jars. Nothing dangerous in that, just icky white stuff around the
> > > jars.
> > > Edrena

> > A glug of vinegar in the kettle is your friend, Edrena. Even if I use
> > soft water.

> OK, the vinegar trick I know - what do you do for the rust colour? I
> just made 2 batches of jam, one after the other, and reused the water
> in the BWB. I guess my canner rack is rustier than I thought, because
> now there's a rust colour on all the jars. I'm gonna toss the rack,
> maybe even the canner, but how do I get the rust deposit off the jars?
>
> Kathi

Had that problem too when I used the littler canner, made of "stainless steel" and chrome plated cake rake. Learned quick to
remove the rack while it was still hot and let it dry off so it wouldn't rust. My alum giant canner, just gets discolored. I take
my glasses off and don't look too closely. And never leave leftover lids in their hot water overnight. They'll rust even quicker.

Edrena