Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default How to keep and store foods

I'm sure most of you here already know all this stuff, but here's a link if
you have any questions.

http://www.fmi.org/consumer/foodkeeper/brochure.cfm

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> I'm sure most of you here already know all this stuff, but here's a link
> if you have any questions.
>
> http://www.fmi.org/consumer/foodkeeper/brochure.cfm

ohmygosh! I don't know how accurate that is.....I should be dead after
reading this list, and knowing what I have done!

"don't freeze apricots? apples in the pantry for 1 to 2 days? keep tomatoes
2 to 3 days?" huh?

I notice this is the 'Food Marketing Institute". hmmm......

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> I'm sure most of you here already know all this stuff, but here's a link
>> if you have any questions.
>>
>> http://www.fmi.org/consumer/foodkeeper/brochure.cfm
>>

> ohmygosh! I don't know how accurate that is.....I should be dead after
> reading this list, and knowing what I have done!
>
> "don't freeze apricots? apples in the pantry for 1 to 2 days? keep
> tomatoes 2 to 3 days?" huh?
>
> I notice this is the 'Food Marketing Institute". hmmm......

I know I've kept apples at room temp. for longer than that. Not a lot
longer though. They seem to spoil fairly quickly if not refrigerated.
Tomatoes don't seem to last very long. I've also read not to refrigerate
them unless they've been cut into. The cold reduces the sweetness or
something.

I always kept tomatoes at room temp. when I lived in CA. Had no problems
with them. But here, they seem to spoil in a day or two so I have to
refrigerate them.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >> I'm sure most of you here already know all this stuff, but here's a

link
> >> if you have any questions.
> >>
> >> http://www.fmi.org/consumer/foodkeeper/brochure.cfm
> >>

> > ohmygosh! I don't know how accurate that is.....I should be dead after
> > reading this list, and knowing what I have done!
> >
> > "don't freeze apricots? apples in the pantry for 1 to 2 days? keep
> > tomatoes 2 to 3 days?" huh?
> >
> > I notice this is the 'Food Marketing Institute". hmmm......

> I know I've kept apples at room temp. for longer than that. Not a lot
> longer though. They seem to spoil fairly quickly if not refrigerated.

They don't need to be refrigerated but they shouldn't be kept at
room temp either. A cold cellar is perfect. However, different
varieties of apples keep different lengths.

Ted