Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default lime marmalade

how bitter or sour is lime marmalade supposed to be. in general how is
regular marmalade supposed to taste.

I have some lime that is quite limey and sweet.

is there a way to recook it or is all lost and use it like a bitter orange
marinade.

looking for suggestions and wisdom in the world of preserving.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"mobile" > wrote in message
et...
> how bitter or sour is lime marmalade supposed to be. in general how is
> regular marmalade supposed to taste.
>
> I have some lime that is quite limey and sweet.
>
> is there a way to recook it or is all lost and use it like a bitter orange
> marinade.
>
> looking for suggestions and wisdom in the world of preserving.

I love marmalade, and as far as I'm concerned, it should be sweet, sour, and
somewhat bitter all at once. If you are uncertain about how it's supposed
to taste, I suggest you buy a jar of quality commercially available
marmalade and give it a try.

I'm not sure what your question is. Did you try making lime marmalade and
it didn't thicken? If so, give it a while. I made some last autumn using
pectin. The next morning when I gently shook a jar, it was like syrup. I
set it aside to try to fix it later. A week later when I got all set to
empty the jars and add pectin I found out it had firmed up very nicely.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

it firmed up very nice, has a good color and amount of peel in the jar. I am
just not sure of the taste, it is sweet sour and limey
which is what I thought it should be, just looking for validation, since I
have no one else to bounce these ideas off of and this group is the source
of great information.

thanks
"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
. net...
> "mobile" > wrote in message
> et...
>> how bitter or sour is lime marmalade supposed to be. in general how is
>> regular marmalade supposed to taste.
>>
>> I have some lime that is quite limey and sweet.
>>
>> is there a way to recook it or is all lost and use it like a bitter
>> orange marinade.
>>
>> looking for suggestions and wisdom in the world of preserving.
>>

> I love marmalade, and as far as I'm concerned, it should be sweet, sour,
> and somewhat bitter all at once. If you are uncertain about how it's
> supposed to taste, I suggest you buy a jar of quality commercially
> available marmalade and give it a try.
>
> I'm not sure what your question is. Did you try making lime marmalade and
> it didn't thicken? If so, give it a while. I made some last autumn using
> pectin. The next morning when I gently shook a jar, it was like syrup. I
> set it aside to try to fix it later. A week later when I got all set to
> empty the jars and add pectin I found out it had firmed up very nicely.
>
> Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"mobile" > wrote in message
et...
> it firmed up very nice, has a good color and amount of peel in the jar. I
> am just not sure of the taste, it is sweet sour and limey
> which is what I thought it should be, just looking for validation, since I
> have no one else to bounce these ideas off of and this group is the source
> of great information.
>
> thanks
> "Anny Middon" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> "mobile" > wrote in message
>> et...
>>> how bitter or sour is lime marmalade supposed to be. in general how is
>>> regular marmalade supposed to taste.
>>>
>>> I have some lime that is quite limey and sweet.
>>>
>>> is there a way to recook it or is all lost and use it like a bitter
>>> orange marinade.
>>>
>>> looking for suggestions and wisdom in the world of preserving.
>>>

>> I love marmalade, and as far as I'm concerned, it should be sweet, sour,
>> and somewhat bitter all at once. If you are uncertain about how it's
>> supposed to taste, I suggest you buy a jar of quality commercially
>> available marmalade and give it a try.
>>
>> I'm not sure what your question is. Did you try making lime marmalade
>> and it didn't thicken? If so, give it a while. I made some last autumn
>> using pectin. The next morning when I gently shook a jar, it was like
>> syrup. I set it aside to try to fix it later. A week later when I got
>> all set to empty the jars and add pectin I found out it had firmed up
>> very nicely.
>>
>> Anny

If you like it - it's perfect! How's the color on yours? I'm seeking the
perfect lovely (however artificial) lime green color. It seems green stuff
just ain't very stable when cooked.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"mobile" > wrote:

> it firmed up very nice, has a good color and amount of peel in the jar. I am
> just not sure of the taste, it is sweet sour and limey
> which is what I thought it should be, just looking for validation, since I
> have no one else to bounce these ideas off of and this group is the source
> of great information.
>
> thanks

My opinion is that if you've got the right consistency and texture and
well-sealed jars, then it should taste just the way you want it to ---
and it sounds like it does. Congratulations.

Myself, I prefer sweet orange marmalade to bitter. I'm not a
connoisseur, but that's the taste I prefer. Sounds like you've got a
winner.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> If you like it - it's perfect! How's the color on yours? I'm seeking the
> perfect lovely (however artificial) lime green color. It seems green stuff
> just ain't very stable when cooked.

I think you'll have to resort to a combination of yellow and green food
coloring . Or yellow and blue, heavy on the yellow.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "mobile" > wrote:
>
>> it firmed up very nice, has a good color and amount of peel in the jar. I
>> am
>> just not sure of the taste, it is sweet sour and limey
>> which is what I thought it should be, just looking for validation, since
>> have no one else to bounce these ideas off of and this group is the
>> source
>> of great information.
>>
>> thanks

> My opinion is that if you've got the right consistency and texture and
> well-sealed jars, then it should taste just the way you want it to ---
> and it sounds like it does. Congratulations.
>
> Myself, I prefer sweet orange marmalade to bitter. I'm not a
> connoisseur, but that's the taste I prefer. Sounds like you've got a
> winner.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
> pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

Put them puppies in the fair!!!!! Lime marmalade sounds like a winner. Only
make sure you classify it correctly. My Blood Orange Marmalade got DQ'd for
being classified as 'orange marmalade' and not 'other' .....go figure.
-ginny