Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default The Lime Marmalade

Hmm.
Nice topic for St. Patty's Day.
Don't leave nice limes in a pretty basket on the counter for a week. They
dry up quick. Keep in fridge. I wanted nice plump rinds, so had to buy more.
Had plenty of supremes, but the supremes from the older fruit were more
fibrous.
I got tired of cutting the rinds (boy the fish filet knife works a charm!)
into leetle strips and dumped the other half in the food processor. Another
mistake. Other half was all different size chunks and not nice leetle
strips. Bugger. Oh well. On to the color...
The DH thought it looked like very fresh sauerkraut or very old long grain
rice, something. Mebbe wild rice? I thought after the initial simmering it
looked like old seaweed soup. I mixed up a 4 cup measure (the measure for
fruit in this recipe), and used 1 drop green, 2 drops yellow, lovely color.
Went to add color to seaweed, needed 3 drops green, 4 drops yellow (added 1
at a time, green first). Now it looks like *fresh* seaweed soup. Bugger. Not
too bad.
Now it's all cooked up, and the flavor is wanting. It's interesting and
edible, but that lovely perfumey aroma that makes limes so wonderful - got a
bit seaweed soupy or something. I'm thinking even less simmering time. The
original recipe called for 20 min, rinds + pulp for another 10. If can get
really fresh fruit, maybe only 5 min only for rinds and rest of cooking for
pectin adding, etc. The cooking really destroys the perfume. And the color.
I can't imagine making this without pectin and cooking it up for 45 minutes
or so. Blech.
I won't make this one again, the lemon and orange were too good. It set
up real quick tho.
Your fellow adventurer,
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
t...
> Hmm.
> Nice topic for St. Patty's Day.
> (clipped the discussion) The cooking really destroys the perfume. And the
> color. I can't imagine making this without pectin and cooking it up for 45
> minutes or so. Blech.
> I won't make this one again, the lemon and orange were too good. It set
> up real quick tho.
> Your fellow adventurer,
> Edrena

What do y'all think of making a freezer jam with just the supremes? Not the
rind.
Damifino what to call it. Jamalade? Limajam? Ramalamadingdong?
Edrena

Lime Ginger Marmalade [email protected] Preserving 23 07-09-2008 03:03 AM
lime marmalade mobile Preserving 6 27-07-2007 02:51 PM
REC: Lime Marmalade (long) Anny Middon Preserving 5 26-05-2007 10:24 PM
Lime Marmalade, Another View Anny Middon Preserving 7 28-09-2006 03:43 PM
Lime Marmalade Part 1 Preserving 15 12-09-2006 05:57 AM