Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Sugar Free Pickles, was Busy Week

"The Joneses" > wrote in message news:...
> "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
>> The Joneses wrote:
>>
>>> The bread and butter pickles are real nice, but then I hardly ever
>>> have
>>> any problems there. I add the spices to the jars and not the liquid
>>> because
>>> I never seem to get an even amount in every jar the old way. I'll make
>>> another batch sugar free when I can find some nice cukes again.

>> Would you please post the recipe for the sugar free ones?
>>
>> Thanks, Geoff.
>> --

> Actually, I sent it too you in The Box. Along with a Sample.

Sorry, no coffee yet this a.m. I used the Joy of Pickling recipe from page
95. Her less sweet recipe.
When working with Splenda, I found that one cannot replace it for the
sugar cup for cup. And now that I don't use sugar, I'm much more sensitive
to sweetness. I start with half Splenda of the sugar called for. Then add
more to taste, realizing that it needs to be a trifle sweeter because the
veggies will take up the taste as it ages. An Important Fact also is to wait
to add the salt. I seem to need about half the salt called for. Salt is only
for flavoring in most pickles and Splenda *is not* sugar. The handshake is
not the same.
How's that?
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> When working with Splenda, I found that one cannot replace it for the
> sugar cup for cup. And now that I don't use sugar, I'm much more sensitive
> to sweetness.

I find that when I make something to eat that I think needs to be sweetened,
I sweeten it to taste with Splenda and halfway through it, I need to sweeten
it again with more than I put in orginally.

I don't know if this is specific to Splenda, the way things work, or
just me.

Whatever it is, it's a good explanation for my liking sweet things,
I need more and more for a "fix". :-(

So far, I've been good about it. I have not used any sweetner at all for
a week (diet or sugar). Last night I made stewed tomatoes which I always
used to add sugar and left it out. I thought it tasted sweet anyway, and
no one complained.

My diet allows bitter chocolate without sugar, but I seem to have a digestive
reaction to it. It also allows a small amount of 70% cocoa solids regular
dark chocolate and I tried some last night. It wasn't bad, and no problems.

I think I can live without the sugar or splenda in the pickles, I'll
have to try it. I'll certainly get no complaints from my wife.

Thanks for everything,

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> ... I seem to need about half the salt called for. Salt is only for
> flavoring in most pickles and Splenda *is not* sugar. The handshake
> is not the same. How's that?

<G>

TN: wines from a busy social week DaleW Wine 0 10-01-2013 09:03 PM
Anyone interested in tasty , Healthy, sugar free microwave and other sugar less recipes Sweet Sugar Less Diva Recipes Diabetic 3 26-10-2007 06:41 PM
Found sugar free bread and butter pickles johnniemccoy@ Diabetic 10 30-05-2007 07:45 PM
Busy Week The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 9 14-03-2007 04:34 AM
Sugar Free Mixed Sweet Pickles The Joneses Preserving 0 15-07-2004 06:49 PM