Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Long [Fwd Query on pH test strips]

Here's our conversation & some followup. Hope it helps.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message

> 2. Is there a problem with testing at various temperatures from cold
> to over boiling?
> "The paper itself will hold up with cold or hot samples. However,
> if
> temperature affects the pH of the item, you will have results of the
> product's pH at time of testing."

I really wish I'd paid better attention in high school chemistry class a
bazillion years ago.

But how does temperature affect pH? I understand that if you boil a
solution some liquid will be vaporized -- is this what they mean? If so, if
you mix water and vinegar to a certain pH level and then boil it until it's
reduced by half, does just the water boil away, leaving you with a much
lower pH? Or does some of the acidity boil away, too?

If it's not the "cooking causes loss of liquid" thing, what is going on?
Does room temperature vinegar have a different pH than refrigerated vinegar
or vinegar warmed to 120 degrees Fahrenheit?

In any case, if the pH varies with temperature, which pH is important -- the
one used when putting the product into the jars or the room temperature at
which the jars will be stored?

Anyway -- thanks loads for posting this Edrena!

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> In any case, if the pH varies with temperature, which pH is important --
> the one used when putting the product into the jars or the room
> temperature at which the jars will be stored?
> Anyway -- thanks loads for posting this Edrena!
> Anny

Your're welcome. The temperature thing I just thunk up while I had them.
Maybe was a leftover factoidette from high school. I wouldn't worry over
this matter. I just didn't know if their Strips were stable.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> Here's our conversation & some followup. Hope it helps.
> Edrena

One thing I was wondering is if the pH of the juice is going to be the same
as the pH of the center of the beet? I called Whatman to find out if they
had a supplier in Austin and they sent me to Fisherscientific to order it
off the web. the URL is
http://tinyurl.com/gq94g

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Alan S" > wrote in message
. ..

> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
>> Here's our conversation & some followup. Hope it helps.
>> Edrena
>>(Clipped conversation)>

> One thing I was wondering is if the pH of the juice is going to be the
> same as the pH of the center of the beet? I called Whatman to find out if
> they had a supplier in Austin and they sent me to Fisherscientific to
> order it off the web. the URL is http://tinyurl.com/gq94g

One test I read somewhere was to test the liquid, then blenderize the
product and test that to make sure both were 4.6 or less for the boiling
water bath preserving method.
I believe it may take several days to completely acidify some pickles,
for example, if they are large solid pieces.
Of course, the other option is to follow a tested recipe.
I like being able to know stuff tho.
Edrena