Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Recipe Request - Tortilla Chips

I have found many different sequences of recipes on google for tortilla
chips, but can anyone give me any inkling on real recipes that I can
use. I know that you can add various ingredients such as spinach to
change the colours
Thanks
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Rock Chick" > wrote in message
> I have found many different sequences of recipes on google for tortilla
> chips, but can anyone give me any inkling on real recipes that I can
> use. I know that you can add various ingredients such as spinach to
> change the colours
> Thanks

You have just opened a can of worms using the word 'real'. But here goes: In
old Mexico, even before the conquest, corn as and is the 'bread' of the
Americas. Corn on the cob, dried corn slow cooked overnight with a touch
lime for maza to make tortillas, tamales, picados, sopes. The traditional
way found in 99% of all rural towns and villages in Mexico is to plant the
corn once or twice a year depending on climate and water. Eat fresh corn on
the cob in moderation allowing the rest of the harvest to age in sitiu, then
use dried stalks for feedlot, burn it to enrich soil, make nice arts and
crafts for next Easter... the corn on the cob now nice and dried so it can
be stored and used as required during the rest of the months/years till next
harvest. So... the life and death of a tortilla ending up as a tostada.

Day one, corn thumbed from cob and put into pot with touch of lime. Add
water to cover and put on dying embers of today's cooking so the cazuela
will soak in the heat and slowly cook corn. Next morning, up and early,
rinse out the soaked corn (now hominy) and grind with stone grinder or if
modern, use a crank grinder, or if commercial apply power to make into maza.
If on the ranch, patty the maza by hand until nice and round and thin, put
on comal (hot flat pan) and flip occasionally as you patty another tortilla.
If you have electricity you will most likely have a tortilla making roller.
So now for two or three days you eat freshly made tortillas. Some tortillas
will start 'wilting' and these you fry in oil or lard. These are used whole
upon which you laddle refried beans and make tostadas. Or you break into
pieces and you make totopos (chips) which you use as spoons to dip into
sauces, guacamole and the like.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "Rock Chick" > wrote in message
>
>>I have found many different sequences of recipes on google for tortilla
>>chips, but can anyone give me any inkling on real recipes that I can
>>use. I know that you can add various ingredients such as spinach to
>>change the colours
>>Thanks

> You have just opened a can of worms using the word 'real'. But here goes: In
> old Mexico, even before the conquest, corn as and is the 'bread' of the
> Americas. Corn on the cob, dried corn slow cooked overnight with a touch
> lime for maza to make tortillas, tamales, picados, sopes. The traditional
> way found in 99% of all rural towns and villages in Mexico is to plant the

Two questions Wayne.
First, I assume when you say lime, we are talking about lye, though I'm
not really sure what lime and lye are in relation to chemical lime we
might put on our lawn. Info?
Second, when you mention hominy, how does what you make from scratch
compare to that which we can buy in a can? My thought is that if it
were similar, I could avoid early steps, and still make something that
would be more "real" (avoiding the use of that other word).
Paul
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Paul Covey" > wrote in message
> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> > "Rock Chick" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I have found many different sequences of recipes on google for tortilla
> >>chips, but can anyone give me any inkling on real recipes that I can
> >>use. I know that you can add various ingredients such as spinach to
> >>change the colours
> >>Thanks

> > You have just opened a can of worms using the word 'real'. But here

goes: In
> > old Mexico, even before the conquest, corn as and is the 'bread' of the
> > Americas. Corn on the cob, dried corn slow cooked overnight with a touch
> > lime for maza to make tortillas, tamales, picados, sopes. The

traditional
> > way found in 99% of all rural towns and villages in Mexico is to plant

the

> Two questions Wayne.
> First, I assume when you say lime, we are talking about lye, though I'm
> not really sure what lime and lye are in relation to chemical lime we
> might put on our lawn. Info?
> Second, when you mention hominy, how does what you make from scratch
> compare to that which we can buy in a can? My thought is that if it
> were similar, I could avoid early steps, and still make something that
> would be more "real" (avoiding the use of that other word).
> Paul

I'm really not sure... being bilingual makes it hard sometimes to
distinguish one thing from the other. For example in Mexico we call a little
green lemon a limon, but if you say lemon in English you are talking about
that yellow acidic thing between orange and lime.

Lime, as defined : 327410 Lime Manufacturing

This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing
lime from calcitic limestone, dolomitic limestone, or other calcareous
materials, such as coral, chalk, and shells. Lime manufacturing
establishments may mine, quarry, collect, or purchase the sources of calcium
carbonate.

Is, I think what is used as the catalyst in converting non-digestible maize
into fully digestible and wholesome food, maze. We call it caliche and it is
the stuff used to make plaster murals and all that great art.

As to making home-brew tostadas, I'd start with Maza Harina sold in
virtually every supermarket in the US. Bypass the tortilla making part,
squish the maza into really thin portions, add whatever seasoning you think
would work, deep fry, let them cool a bit and eat. You can't go wrong no
matter what you do except to burn them or not cook them enough.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "Rock Chick" > wrote in message
>> I have found many different sequences of recipes on google for tortilla
>> chips, but can anyone give me any inkling on real recipes that I can
>> use. I know that you can add various ingredients such as spinach to
>> change the colours
>> Thanks

> You have just opened a can of worms using the word 'real'. But here goes: In
> old Mexico, even before the conquest, corn as and is the 'bread' of the
> Americas. Corn on the cob, dried corn slow cooked overnight with a touch
> lime for maza to make tortillas, tamales, picados, sopes. The traditional
> way found in 99% of all rural towns and villages in Mexico is to plant the
> corn once or twice a year depending on climate and water. Eat fresh corn on
> the cob in moderation allowing the rest of the harvest to age in sitiu, then
> use dried stalks for feedlot, burn it to enrich soil, make nice arts and
> crafts for next Easter... the corn on the cob now nice and dried so it can
> be stored and used as required during the rest of the months/years till next
> harvest. So... the life and death of a tortilla ending up as a tostada.
>
> Day one, corn thumbed from cob and put into pot with touch of lime. Add
> water to cover and put on dying embers of today's cooking so the cazuela
> will soak in the heat and slowly cook corn. Next morning, up and early,
> rinse out the soaked corn (now hominy) and grind with stone grinder or if
> modern, use a crank grinder, or if commercial apply power to make into maza.
> If on the ranch, patty the maza by hand until nice and round and thin, put
> on comal (hot flat pan) and flip occasionally as you patty another tortilla.
> If you have electricity you will most likely have a tortilla making roller.
> So now for two or three days you eat freshly made tortillas. Some tortillas
> will start 'wilting' and these you fry in oil or lard. These are used whole
> upon which you laddle refried beans and make tostadas. Or you break into
> pieces and you make totopos (chips) which you use as spoons to dip into
> sauces, guacamole and the like.
>
> Wayne

LOL, ok, so I may have used the wrong word there, and your description
on the way to create authentic means of creating tortilla chips is
fascinating, honest, I enjoyed reading it.......................BUT!....
I was hoping ) for some traditionally authentic recipes using already
ground flour and based in a modern(ish) kitchen with a hotplate.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Rock Chick > wrote in
:

> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
>> "Rock Chick" > wrote in message
>>> I have found many different sequences of recipes on google for
>>> tortilla chips, but can anyone give me any inkling on real recipes
>>> that I can use. I know that you can add various ingredients such as
>>> spinach to change the colours
>>> Thanks

>> You have just opened a can of worms using the word 'real'. But here
>> goes: In old Mexico, even before the conquest, corn as and is the
>> 'bread' of the Americas. Corn on the cob, dried corn slow cooked
>> overnight with a touch lime for maza to make tortillas, tamales,
>> picados, sopes. The traditional way found in 99% of all rural towns
>> and villages in Mexico is to plant the corn once or twice a year
>> depending on climate and water. Eat fresh corn on the cob in
>> moderation allowing the rest of the harvest to age in sitiu, then
>> use dried stalks for feedlot, burn it to enrich soil, make nice arts
>> and crafts for next Easter... the corn on the cob now nice and dried
>> so it can be stored and used as required during the rest of the
>> months/years till next harvest. So... the life and death of a
>> tortilla ending up as a tostada.
>>
>> Day one, corn thumbed from cob and put into pot with touch of lime.
>> Add water to cover and put on dying embers of today's cooking so the
>> cazuela will soak in the heat and slowly cook corn. Next morning, up
>> and early, rinse out the soaked corn (now hominy) and grind with
>> stone grinder or if modern, use a crank grinder, or if commercial
>> apply power to make into maza. If on the ranch, patty the maza by
>> hand until nice and round and thin, put on comal (hot flat pan) and
>> flip occasionally as you patty another tortilla. If you have
>> electricity you will most likely have a tortilla making roller. So
>> now for two or three days you eat freshly made tortillas. Some
>> tortillas will start 'wilting' and these you fry in oil or lard.
>> These are used whole upon which you laddle refried beans and make
>> tostadas. Or you break into pieces and you make totopos (chips) which
>> you use as spoons to dip into sauces, guacamole and the like.
>>
>> Wayne

> LOL, ok, so I may have used the wrong word there, and your description
> on the way to create authentic means of creating tortilla chips is
> fascinating, honest, I enjoyed reading
> it.......................BUT!.... I was hoping ) for some
> traditionally authentic recipes using already ground flour and based
> in a modern(ish) kitchen with a hotplate.

Oh heck...just go to the store and buy some corn tortillas, cut them up
diagonally and just fry them in lard (or oil)drain on apaper towel and
there you have 'em.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Rock Chick > wrote in :

> I have found many different sequences of recipes on google for tortilla
> chips, but can anyone give me any inkling on real recipes that I can
> use. I know that you can add various ingredients such as spinach to
> change the colours
> Thanks

"real"? I surely hope you don't mean "authentic"
I haven't seen any colored tortilla chips in Mexico
so I don't know about adding spinach or what not.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Rock Chick wrote:

> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
>
>> "Rock Chick" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I have found many different sequences of recipes on google for tortilla
>>> chips, but can anyone give me any inkling on real recipes that I can
>>> use. I know that you can add various ingredients such as spinach to
>>> change the colours
>>> Thanks

>> You have just opened a can of worms using the word 'real'. But here
>> goes: In

> LOL, ok, so I may have used the wrong word there, and your description
> on the way to create authentic means of creating tortilla chips is
> fascinating, honest, I enjoyed reading it.......................BUT!....
> I was hoping ) for some traditionally authentic recipes using already
> ground flour and based in a modern(ish) kitchen with a hotplate.

Can't remember if I should add my comments to the top or bottom after
editing. Anyway, I just wanted to say my comment about "real" was not
aimed at Rock Chick, just a thought back to a very sensitive time when
the "auth__ word" was a real issue in this group, for both the regulars
and lurkers who could learn like me.

I must say this little discussion is a tiny peek into what the group
used to discuss. Wayne and also Rolly are the only ones I see these
days who contribute like the old regulars did (not nostalgic, just was
an excellent time of discussion and recipe sharing - do google
searches). If any of you old regulars are watching, I'd love to see
this group rejuvenate. I have a strong feeling we won't get Linda
Gonzalez back, though that would be ideal, but would love to see others
in spite of differences. I'd almost welcome the old "a word"
arguments!! People dropped out when others came back etc. The
differences aren't worth it if we could get idea and recipe sharing back
again. And differences of opinion are what makes life great, unless a
person is so opinionated that only his point of view can be right (which
is why he went bye bye).
Paul
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

I'm game. And top or bottom posting doesn't bother me. I think top posting
is easier and if the reader is puzzled all they need do is go down to the

and find what has been said already. It's kind of like email that way.

Had a sip of $1,000 bottle Tequila yesterday! Incredible what has happened
to that once poor-friendly booze.

Wayne

"Paul Covey" > wrote in message
> Rock Chick wrote:
>
> > Wayne Lundberg wrote:

tortilla

> >> You have just opened a can of worms using the word 'real'. But here
> >> goes: In

> > LOL, ok, so I may have used the wrong word there, and your description
> > on the way to create authentic means of creating tortilla chips is
> > fascinating, honest, I enjoyed reading it.......................BUT!....
> > I was hoping ) for some traditionally authentic recipes using already
> > ground flour and based in a modern(ish) kitchen with a hotplate.

> Can't remember if I should add my comments to the top or bottom after
> editing. Anyway, I just wanted to say my comment about "real" was not
> aimed at Rock Chick, just a thought back to a very sensitive time when
> the "auth__ word" was a real issue in this group, for both the regulars
> and lurkers who could learn like me.
>
> I must say this little discussion is a tiny peek into what the group
> used to discuss. Wayne and also Rolly are the only ones I see these
> days who contribute like the old regulars did (not nostalgic, just was
> an excellent time of discussion and recipe sharing - do google
> searches). If any of you old regulars are watching, I'd love to see
> this group rejuvenate. I have a strong feeling we won't get Linda
> Gonzalez back, though that would be ideal, but would love to see others
> in spite of differences. I'd almost welcome the old "a word"
> arguments!! People dropped out when others came back etc. The
> differences aren't worth it if we could get idea and recipe sharing back
> again. And differences of opinion are what makes life great, unless a
> person is so opinionated that only his point of view can be right (which
> is why he went bye bye).
> Paul

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Lots of work to make corn tortillas. I just buy a package of a dozen, cut
them up then fry in oil, add a little salt to taste right after cooking.

Thats how I do it.

DAN

"Paul Covey" > wrote in message
> Rock Chick wrote:
>
>> Wayne Lundberg wrote:

>>> You have just opened a can of worms using the word 'real'. But here
>>> goes: In

>> LOL, ok, so I may have used the wrong word there, and your description on
>> the way to create authentic means of creating tortilla chips is
>> fascinating, honest, I enjoyed reading it.......................BUT!....
>> I was hoping ) for some traditionally authentic recipes using already
>> ground flour and based in a modern(ish) kitchen with a hotplate.

> Can't remember if I should add my comments to the top or bottom after
> editing. Anyway, I just wanted to say my comment about "real" was not
> aimed at Rock Chick, just a thought back to a very sensitive time when the
> "auth__ word" was a real issue in this group, for both the regulars and
> lurkers who could learn like me.
>
> I must say this little discussion is a tiny peek into what the group used
> to discuss. Wayne and also Rolly are the only ones I see these days who
> contribute like the old regulars did (not nostalgic, just was an excellent
> time of discussion and recipe sharing - do google searches). If any of
> you old regulars are watching, I'd love to see this group rejuvenate. I
> have a strong feeling we won't get Linda Gonzalez back, though that would
> be ideal, but would love to see others in spite of differences. I'd
> almost welcome the old "a word" arguments!! People dropped out when
> others came back etc. The differences aren't worth it if we could get
> idea and recipe sharing back again. And differences of opinion are what
> makes life great, unless a person is so opinionated that only his point of
> view can be right (which is why he went bye bye).
> Paul

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Ricardo D. Aguilar wrote:
> Lots of work to make corn tortillas. I just buy a package of a dozen, cut
> them up then fry in oil, add a little salt to taste right after cooking.
>
> Thats how I do it.
>
> DAN

It's also really good to sprinkle em with powdered chile and even
cotija cheese powder when they're hot. Good on salads that way, insead
of croutons.