Barry Bean

Default Salsa Verde

I used to make salsa verde 10 or 15 years ago, and had a basic recipe (if I
remember correctly - I strictly view recipes as general guidelines)that in
essence required simply chopping and mixing tomatillos, garlic, peppers,
onions, cilantro, etc. and then dumping the mixture into an uncovered cast
iron skillet with 1/4" of oil on high heat for 5-10 minutes, and then
letting it cool to room temperature. A friend of mine, however, insist that
the tomatillas should be blanched, or drooped into boiling water for 3-5
minutes and not cooked in oil.

So - what do you recommend - dumping in hot oil, blanching, both, or
neither? One thing I'm especially interested in is getting the texture just
a little thicker than water., but I don't want to turn the mixture into
chili verde.
Dimitri

"Barry Bean" > wrote in message
.. .
>I used to make salsa verde 10 or 15 years ago, and had a basic recipe (if I
> remember correctly - I strictly view recipes as general guidelines)that in
> essence required simply chopping and mixing tomatillos, garlic, peppers,
> onions, cilantro, etc. and then dumping the mixture into an uncovered cast
> iron skillet with 1/4" of oil on high heat for 5-10 minutes, and then
> letting it cool to room temperature. A friend of mine, however, insist that
> the tomatillas should be blanched, or drooped into boiling water for 3-5
> minutes and not cooked in oil.
>
> So - what do you recommend - dumping in hot oil, blanching, both, or
> neither? One thing I'm especially interested in is getting the texture just
> a little thicker than water., but I don't want to turn the mixture into
> chili verde.

Your friend is correct - traditionally the tomatillos are blanched after
removing the husk then the tomatillos and the chilies are liquefied in a blender
and then dumped into a hot skillet.

Dimitri