Me

Default recipe request

for real chili? thanks

Me

The first one would be mild red chili con carne, because my wife can't stand
very spicy(hot) stuff. I usually make red enchilada sauce with equal-parts
regular chili powder and paprika instead of all chili powder.

I know that's not the real stuff, but it's close enough for now.

Any ideas - red, green, ... - are welcome; I can doctor them to suit her
wussy taste buds.

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> "Me" > wrote in
> :
>
>> for real chili? thanks
>>

> What kind red chile, green chile, carne con chile verde, carne con chile
> colarado?

Glenn

REAL chili DOES NOT have beans. Beans are considered "foriegn material"
akin to rat droppings. Therefore NO chili con carne. Think about
chuckwagons and what may have been carried. Beans usually require
overnight soaking. Not pratical for a cowboy that was always on the
move. The meat was usually cut into small chunks. Ground meat hadn't
been invented yet.

Me wrote:
> for real chili? thanks

Wayne Lundberg

"Me" > wrote in message
> for real chili? thanks

Just to add a bit of spice to the contributions by Rhonda and Glenn... way
back when, before Texas was a gleam in any farmer's eye, cattle was being
introduced to the Americas from as far south as the port of Veracruz in
Mexico, and gradually up through the Valley of Mexico and ended up as a
major source of wealth from Monterrey, Torreon, Chihuahua and eventually New
Mexico and Texas. The native cowboys were used to traditional pre-Aztec
cooking, mainly tortillas, beans, squash, all kinds of greens, fruits and
veggies. Cattle were slaughtered and the meat ending up on the rich hacienda
owners table and not much for the people who worked the land nor herded the
grass eating beasts. So the vaqueros ended up with parts of the cow the
Spanish lords did not like. Flank, innards, tongue, brains, cheeks, tail,
etc. The very first great grandady of today's Texas chile can still be
bought in the early mornings at most Mexican markets near the rastros,
slaughter houses. The most famous is the one in Guadalajara where dozens of
small restaurants will serve you the best damned chile anywhere in the
world. It's called Birria and consists of beef or goat boiled in a
combination of chiles which are kept secret by these little restaurant
owners, but you know contain chile ancho, chipotle, chile pasilla, chile de
arbol and other. None of the chiles are really hot, they are, however,
flavorful. The Birria is served in a soup bowl and eaten with spoon or
laddled in quartered chunks of corn tortillas being freshly hand pattied
where the Birria is being cooked. Beans are served on the side if that's
what you would like.

In one form or other this basic recipe has covered all cattle country from
Canada to Chile and is called by any of thousands of names. Basically, it's
made from whatever ingredients can be found as the cowboys herd the beef to
slaughter or care for as they fatten on the plains grasses. I think the
Indians in the US call it pemmican? And you know that Hungarian goulash is
nothing more than ground red peppers (paprica) and lots of meat and very,
very like Texas chili. Add red tomatoes to the mix and you have the best of
the best in my opinion. (plus onions, garlic... cilantro on the side... )

Wayne, why not write me your comments to be added to www.pueblaprotocol.com
and the continued quest for historical tidbits on Mexican food?

LewZephyr

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:06:37 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
Glenn > :

>REAL chili DOES NOT have beans. Beans are considered "foriegn material"
>akin to rat droppings.

That would be a matter of opinion... I don't prefer a chili without
beans. But again, that's all opinion.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

Dimitri

"Me" > wrote in message
> for real chili? thanks

I think the stuff you're talking about is the Texas variety.

Try he

http://www.g6csy.net/chile/recp-texas.html

Dimitri

recipe request Stormmmee Diabetic 6 19-11-2009 10:20 AM
recipe request Stormmmee Recipes 0 16-11-2009 11:41 AM
Recipe request Kswck General Cooking 13 13-06-2009 12:54 PM
Recipe Request Yaderp Mexican Cooking 3 05-09-2006 05:14 PM
Recipe Request Matthew Givens Winemaking 0 29-03-2004 05:25 AM