Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe request

Southern Spoon Bread.

Always wanted to make it. Google has too many variations.
What has worked for you please?

Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:58:42 -0400, "Kswck" >
wrote:

>Southern Spoon Bread.

You are making a "baked" corn pone.....what types of variations could
there be?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC Recipe request

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:28:12 -0400, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:58:42 -0400, "Kswck" >
>wrote:
>
>>Southern Spoon Bread.

>You are making a "baked" corn pone.....what types of variations could
>there be?

A few....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cherokee Corn Pones

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bread

2 c Cornmeal
1/4 ts Baking soda
1 t Salt
1/2 c Shortening
3/4 c Buttermilk
3/4 c Milk
Butter

Combine cornmeal, baking soda, and salt; cut in shortening until
mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and milk, stirring
just until dry ingreients are moistened. Form batter into eight 1/2
inch thick cakes. Place on a hot greased griddle. Bake at 400
degrees
for 15 minutes. Turn and bake an additional 15 minutes. Serve hot
with butter.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):
263 Calories; 14g Fat (49.1% calories from fat); 4g Protein;
29g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol;
342mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn Oat Pones

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breakfast Nuts/grains

5 c Water
2 c White corn meal
2 c Oatmeal
1/4 c Nuts
1/4 c Olive oil
Herbs, such as rosemary,
-thyme, oregano

1. Bring water to a boil. 2. Combine other ingredients (along with
your choice of herbs, if desired i.e. rosemary, thyme, oregano)
except for oil in medium bowl. 3.
Pour 1/2 (or less) the boiling water and oil into dry ingredients at
the same time. Add only enough water to make a very stiff semi-dry
mixture. 4. Let cool for 30 minutes then form into 3 to 3 1/2 inch
patties and place on greased cookie sheets. 5. Place cookie sheets
in a
pre-heated oven (350 to 375 degrees) for an hour or until brown
around the edges.
At this point, turn off the oven and leave the pones inside,
undisturbed, while the oven cools.
This is to dry them further.

These Pones will keep in the freezer for months.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 165 Calories; 11g Fat (56.1%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 6mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 Fat.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kentucky Corn Pones

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bread

1 c Cornmeal
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 c Boiling water
1/2 c Whipping cream
1 tb Butter
1 t Baking powder

Combine cornmeal and salt; add boiling water and stir well. Add
remaining ingredients. Drop mixture by tablespoonfuls onto a
greased
griddle. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until edges are lightly
browned.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):
288 Calories; 23g Fat (71.0% calories from fat);
3g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
69mg Cholesterol; 424mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat; 0 Other
Carbohydrates.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet Potato Corn Pones

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bread

1 t Baking soda
1 1/4 c Buttermilk
2 c Cornmeal
1 tb Sugar
1 t Salt
1 c Cooked mashed sweet potatoes
1 Egg beaten
2 tb Bacon drippings

Dissolve soda in buttermilk. Combine cornmeal, sugar, and salt;
add
buttermilk mixture, sweet potato, egg, and drippings, mixing well.
Shape into balls, using 1 T batter per all. Place on greased
griddle,
and lightly press into circles with the back of a fork. Bake at 400
degrees for 20 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

sterCook *

Tennessee Crackling Pones

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bread

3 c Water
1 c Cracklings
1 1/2 c Cornmeal
1 t Salt

Bring water to a boil, reduce heat and add cracklings. Cook over
medium heat 5 minutes or until cracklings are tender. Remove from
heat and add cornmeal and salt. Shape into patties, using 1/2 cup
batter for each patty. Place on greased baking sheet or griddle and
bake at 450 for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):
126 Calories; 1g Fat (4.1% calories from fat);
3g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 360mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch).

* Exported from MasterCook *

Virginia Corn Pones

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bread

3 c Cornmeal
1 t Baking powder
1/2 ts Baking soda
1 t Sugar
1 t Salt
3 tb Shortening, melted
1 c Plus 2 T buttermilk
1 c Plus 2 T water

Combine dry ingredients. Add shortening, buttermilk, and water;
stir
just until dry ingredients are moistened. Shape into oblong patties,
using 1/3 cup batter per patty. Stir mixture frequently to prevent
cornmeal from settling. Place on lightly greased baking sheets.
Bake
at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):
127 Calories; trace Fat (2.7% calories from fat);
2g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 181mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:58:42 -0400, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>
>>Southern Spoon Bread.

> You are making a "baked" corn pone.....what types of variations could
> there be?

As many variations as there are on cornbready The thing is, spoon bread
is much like a bread pudding. It's not traditional cornbread. (My
cookbooks are still packed so I can't find a recipe for the OP at the
moment.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill replied:

>> Southern Spoon Bread.

> You are making a "baked" corn pone.....what types of variations could
> there be?

To me, spoon bread is fluffier than corn bread. I've got a recipe for it at
home in a BH&G cookbook, but I'm not home at the moment. This from Gourmet
looks typical:

Spoonbread

3 cups scalded milk
1 cup white cornmeal
2 ounces (1/2 stick) butter, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
4 large egg whites at room temperature
Pinch cream of tartar

In a heavy saucepan combine the scalded milk, cornmeal, butter, sugar, salt,
nutmeg, and cayenne. Bring the liquid to a simmer over moderately low heat,
and simmer the mixture, stirring vigorously, for 5 minutes. Scrape the
mixture into a large bowl and let it cool for 5 minutes.

In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with the baking powder
until the mixture is light and lemon colored and stir the mixture into the
cornmeal mixture.

In a large bowl with the electric mixer beat the egg whites with the cream
of tartar and a pinch of salt until they hold stiff peaks, stir 1/4 of them
into the cornmeal mixture, and fold in the remaining whites gently, but
thoroughly. Pour the batter into a well-buttered 1-quart soufflé dish and
bake it in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees) for 40 minutes, or until
the top is golden brown. Serve immediately.

I've made Emeril's Apple and Pecan Spoonbread in the past with excellent
results; the recipe can be seen he
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html

http://preview.tinyurl.com/mxdt5t

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> Southern Spoon Bread.
>
> Always wanted to make it. Google has too many variations.
> What has worked for you please?
>
> Thank you.

Well, dang! Does anyone have Leila Abu-Saba's recipe (actually her mom,
the Spoonbread Queen's recipe)? I can't find it online, but my search
skills aren't the very best.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:24:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Kswck" > wrote:
>
>> Southern Spoon Bread.
>>
>> Always wanted to make it. Google has too many variations.
>> What has worked for you please?
>>
>> Thank you.

>Well, dang! Does anyone have Leila Abu-Saba's recipe (actually her mom,
>the Spoonbread Queen's recipe)? I can't find it online, but my search
>skills aren't the very best.

Here is a recipe that Leila posted but not her mother's. She stated
in another post that her mother made spoonbread but it was not a
signature dish.

From "Good, Cheap Food" by Miriam Ungerer, Ecco Press, 1996

Sunday Morning Spoon Bread
Serves 4 to 6

1 qt. milk
1 c. water-ground cornmeal
2 Tbsp. butter, barely melted
2 tsp. coarse salt
2 cups fresh young corn kernels
4 eggs, well whipped
4 Tbsp. parsley, minced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Bring the milk to a simmer in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stirring
constantly, pour in the cornmeal in a thin stream until you have a
smooth mush. OFF HEAT, beat in butter, salt & corn, then the eggs
which
have been beaten very light. Add parsley. If you wish to take the
trouble, the spoon bread is even better when egg yolks are added
first,
then the whites beaten fairly stiff and folded in. Pour batter into a
shallow, greased two-quart casserole. Bake in the center of the oven
about 45 minutes.

May be served with country ham, grilled sausages, or bacon. "Must be
served with plenty of first-class melted butter".

Off to see Clanmacleod in furthest So Cal. See ya'll in a couple of
weeks!

Regards,

Leila
Daughter of the Spoonbread Queen
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Kswck" > wrote:
>
>> Southern Spoon Bread.
>>
>> Always wanted to make it. Google has too many variations.
>> What has worked for you please?
>>
>> Thank you.

> Well, dang! Does anyone have Leila Abu-Saba's recipe (actually her mom,
> the Spoonbread Queen's recipe)? I can't find it online, but my search
> skills aren't the very best.

If she has posted the recipe anywhere, the site is pretty obscure.
I looked through all her recipe lists and couldn't find it, either.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:58:42 -0400, "Kswck" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Southern Spoon Bread.

>> You are making a "baked" corn pone.....what types of variations could
>> there be?
>>

> As many variations as there are on cornbready The thing is, spoon
> bread is much like a bread pudding. It's not traditional cornbread.
> (My cookbooks are still packed so I can't find a recipe for the OP at
> the moment.)
>
> Jill

Have "John" unpack your crap. What else does he have to do all day?

-dk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:58:42 -0400, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>
>>Southern Spoon Bread.

> You are making a "baked" corn pone.....what types of variations could
> there be?

No. It's not a cornbread. Has lots of eggs-no corn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Southern Spoon Bread.
>
> Always wanted to make it. Google has too many variations.
> What has worked for you please?
>
> Thank you.

Something like this, but not for an army.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spoon Bread

Recipe By :© 2004 by Prentice-Hall, Inc.
Serving Size : 50 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads

5 3/4 quarts milk
28 ounces yellow cornmeal
1 ounce salt (1 1/2 tbsp)
44 ounces eggs (about 25 total) -- beaten
6 ounces margarine -- melted
2 ounces baking powder

Scald milk by heating to point just below boiling.

Add cornmeal and salt to milk, stirring briskly with a wire whip. Cook 10
minutes, or until thick.

Add eggs slowly to cornmeal mixture, while stirring. Add margarine and
baking powder to cornmeal mixture. Stir to blend.

Pour batter into two greased 12x20x2-inch baking pans, 8 lb per pan. Place
in pans of hot water.

Bake at 250°F for 45-60 minutes or until set.

Yield:
"2 pans 12x20x2 inches"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 184 Calories; 9g Fat (43.6% calories
from fat); 8g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 105mg
Cholesterol; 454mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2
Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Serve with crisp bacon, Creamed Chicken (p. 450), or Creamed Ham (p.
355).

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 1326 3235 0 0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> "Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:58:42 -0400, "Kswck" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Southern Spoon Bread.

>> You are making a "baked" corn pone.....what types of variations could
>> there be?
>>

> No. It's not a cornbread. Has lots of eggs-no corn

I correct myself. It does have cornmeal

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
>> Southern Spoon Bread.
>>
>> Always wanted to make it. Google has too many variations.
>> What has worked for you please?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

> Something like this, but not for an army.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Spoon Bread
>
> Recipe By :© 2004 by Prentice-Hall, Inc.
> Categories : Breads

> 5 3/4 quarts milk
> 28 ounces yellow cornmeal
> 1 ounce salt (1 1/2 tbsp)
> 44 ounces eggs (about 25 total) -- beaten
> 6 ounces margarine -- melted
> 2 ounces baking powder
>
> Scald milk by heating to point just below boiling.
>
> Add cornmeal and salt to milk, stirring briskly with a wire whip. Cook 10
> minutes, or until thick.
>
> Add eggs slowly to cornmeal mixture, while stirring. Add margarine and
> baking powder to cornmeal mixture. Stir to blend.
>
> Pour batter into two greased 12x20x2-inch baking pans, 8 lb per pan. Place
> in pans of hot water.
>
> Bake at 250°F for 45-60 minutes or until set.
>
> Yield:
> "2 pans 12x20x2 inches"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 184 Calories; 9g Fat (43.6%
> calories from fat); 8g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 105mg
> Cholesterol; 454mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2
> Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
>
> NOTES : Serve with crisp bacon, Creamed Chicken (p. 450), or Creamed Ham
> (p. 355).
>
> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 1326 3235 0 0

I correct myself. It does have cornmeal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 07:05:40 -0400, "Kswck" >
wrote:

>I correct myself. It does have cornmeal.

When I saw the recipe at first, I thought of Johnny Cake made in the
Bahama Islands. It's generally served warm for breakfast with tea or
coffee and/or served with syrup, jam or honey.

There are many variations - some baked and some cooked on a griddle.

Ingredients:
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons butter
1 beaten egg
1 1/2 cup sweet milk

Directions:

Sift together dry ingredients. Rub in a piece of butter Stir in egg
and milk; batter may be slightly lumpy. Turn into greased 8 by 8-inch
baking pan; bake about 1/2 hour at 375 F. or until inserted pick comes
out clean. (In pioneer days, they might stir in some dried berries
before baking.)

This recipe from CDKitchen for Old Fashioned Johnny Cake makes 6

CORNMEAL JOHNNY CAKES

2 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup cornmeal

Slowly add the cornmeal to the boiling water and cook for five
minutes. Add the sugar, butter and salt. Pour into a buttered
ovenproof baking dish and finish cooking in the oven.

OLD FASHIONED JOHNNY CAKES

1 egg
2 c. white or yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 c. milk

Beat 1 egg. Stir in 2 cups white or yellow corn meal, 1 teaspoon salt,
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups milk (to make batter thick). Drop spoonfuls of
batter onto a well-greased hot griddle and fry to a golden brown on
each side. Stir batter occasionally to keep well mixed. Serve hot with
butter.
Makes 12 Johnny cakes.

JOHNNY CAKES

2 beaten eggs
1 c. water
3/4 c. milk
2 tbsp. lard, melted
1 tsp. salt
2 c. yellow cornmeal
Butter
Maple syrup

In bowl mix eggs, water, lard, milk and salt. Stir in cornmeal. Stir
well before making each Johnny cake. For each cake place 1/4 cup
batter on a hot well greased griddle, spread to 1/4 inch thick. Cook
until golden 2-3 minutes per side. Serve warm with butter and syrup.
Makes 12-14 cakes.

--
D.

recipe request Stormmmee Diabetic 6 19-11-2009 10:20 AM
recipe request Stormmmee Recipes 0 16-11-2009 11:41 AM
Recipe Request lehy Preserving 1 15-02-2009 01:35 AM
Recipe Request Yaderp Mexican Cooking 3 05-09-2006 05:14 PM
Recipe Request Matthew Givens Winemaking 0 29-03-2004 05:25 AM