Aria

Default PotLuck

I have a Mexican potluck to go to. I never cook Mexican food, only go out to
eat it. Any suggestions for something that will save at work 1/2 the day and
still be edible for lunch in the afternoon???

Wayne Lundberg

"Aria" > wrote in message
> I have a Mexican potluck to go to. I never cook Mexican food, only go

out --- snip ----

You can't go wrong by buying some Delimex Taquitos from your local grocer
along with a bottle of salsa verde and another salsa casera for dipping the
tacos into the salsas.

Or, you can buy a bag of tostadas and some guacamole from your grocer and
take it to the party.

There is never enough guacamole at any given Mexican pot luck event!

Also, buy some fresh jalapenos or serranos to garnish the salsa by just
putting them out for people to see. You will see one person take one and
tease another, and the fun begins.

If you want to cook something, take a can of refried beans, mix with a small
can of jalapenos en escabeche and put in the blender, cook in a bit of oil
until you boil off some of the liquid and serve it anytime during the day as
a bean dip where tostitos or totopos are handy.

Wayne
www.rcsailcars.com

Karen O'Mara

"Aria" > wrote in message news:<rpLgb.57032$Ms2.46531@fed1read03>...
> I have a Mexican potluck to go to. I never cook Mexican food, only go out to
> eat it. Any suggestions for something that will save at work 1/2 the day and
> still be edible for lunch in the afternoon???

Someone brought stuffed jalepenos for a potluck at work recently. Two
types: jalepenos stuffed with tuna and jalepenos stuffed with white
cheese. The tray was very pretty, decorated with parsley and cilantro,
and the appetizers tasted good. The jalepenos were canned and whole,
iirc.

Karen
A1 WBarfieldsr

"Karen O'Mara" > wrote in message
om...
> "Aria" > wrote in message

> > I have a Mexican potluck to go to. I never cook Mexican food, only go

out to
> > eat it. Any suggestions for something that will save at work 1/2 the

day and
> > still be edible for lunch in the afternoon???

> Someone brought stuffed jalepenos for a potluck at work recently. Two
> types: jalepenos stuffed with tuna and jalepenos stuffed with white
> cheese. The tray was very pretty, decorated with parsley and cilantro,
> and the appetizers tasted good. The jalepenos were canned and whole,
> iirc.
>
> Karen

Layered Mexican style Dip
Warning !! May not be "Authentic Mexican".
This appetizer is very filling (and it is hard to eat "just a little"). It
is also very HOT.

1 16 oz.can refried beans (with chili, if available)
2 Serrano peppers,seeded and chopped
1 pint sour cream
1/2 lb. Queso Chihuahua, shredded
1/2 lb. Queso Asadero, shredded
1/2 lb. Queso Manchego, shredded
4 green onions, chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
2 cans black olives, drained and sliced
fresh guacamole (recipe follows)
Salsa (recipe follows)
A large bag of tortilla chips or tortilla strips

Guacamole:

4 avocados (they should be dark green, and just slightly mushy)
4 cloves garlic
2 lime, juice
6 green onions, with tops
1 lrg. tomato

Cut the avocados in half, pop out the pit and scoop out the flesh with a
spoon.
Place in a large bowl.
Crush the garlic and add to the avocado.
Add the juice of the lemon and limes.
Mash all this together until it's smooth.
Chop up the green onions with the tomato.
Add this to the mixture.
Give it a little more mashing and stirring.
Place the avocado pits in the bowl, cover and place it in the fridge for
about 2 hours.

A1 Six Pepper Fire Storm Salsa

1 (10oz.)can tomato puree
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup Spanish onion, chopped
4 Tbls. white vinegar
2 Tbls. Cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 lrg. tomatoes, chopped
3 Tbls. lime juice
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. salt
1 cup cilantro, chopped
2 Red Bell peppers, stems removed, seeded, chopped
2 yellow Bell peppers, stems removed, seeded, chopped
6 Jalapeno peppers, stems removed and chopped
6 Cayenne or piquin peppers, stems removed and chopped
6 Arbol peppers, stems removed and chopped
4 Red Savina Habanero peppers, stems removed and chopped

Substitution:
6 (orange)Scotch Bonnet Habaneros for 4 Red Savina Habaneros

Fill blender with tomatoes, run at lowest setting until only small chunks
are left.
Remove and add remainder of ingredients and repeat running blender until
smooth.
Sample and add items to taste as necessary.
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium high heat.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thick.
When cool, bottle in 16-ounce jar and refrigerate overnight.

Assembling Dip:
Heat the refried beans and the Serrano peppers, stirring to get them mixed
well.
Spread them evenly, on the bottom of a large, shallow casserole dish (a
rectangular 9 x 13 or 11 x 15 Pyrex pan works very well).
Spread the guacamole on top of the beans.
Cover the guacamole with a layer of salsa.
Cover the salsa with a thin layer of sour cream.
Sprinkle the tomato, then onions, then olives over the top of the sour
cream.
Top with the mixed grated cheeses.

Serve with tortilla chips, cold milk or your favorite beverage.

William Barfieldsr

Diana Cole

My mother is asked every year to bring this....

beans with chorizo, birote and salsa

She has worked there 22 years.

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "Aria" > wrote in message
> > I have a Mexican potluck to go to. I never cook Mexican food, only go

> out --- snip ----
>
> You can't go wrong by buying some Delimex Taquitos from your local grocer
> along with a bottle of salsa verde and another salsa casera for dipping

the
> tacos into the salsas.
>
> Or, you can buy a bag of tostadas and some guacamole from your grocer and
> take it to the party.
>
> There is never enough guacamole at any given Mexican pot luck event!
>
> Also, buy some fresh jalapenos or serranos to garnish the salsa by just
> putting them out for people to see. You will see one person take one and
> tease another, and the fun begins.
>
> If you want to cook something, take a can of refried beans, mix with a

small
> can of jalapenos en escabeche and put in the blender, cook in a bit of oil
> until you boil off some of the liquid and serve it anytime during the day

as
> a bean dip where tostitos or totopos are handy.
>
> Wayne
> www.rcsailcars.com

Diana Cole

How about bringing some drinks. You can now get Horchata and Jamiaca in
cartons at the grocery store by the orange juice. If not check the mexican
aisle for small containers you can just mix. Or you can make some Mexican
Hot chocolate (Chocolate Ibarra). How about some Pan dulce to go with the
Hot chocalate..
"Aria" > wrote in message
> I have a Mexican potluck to go to. I never cook Mexican food, only go out

> eat it. Any suggestions for something that will save at work 1/2 the day

and
> still be edible for lunch in the afternoon???

Potluck report Kajikit[_2_] General Cooking 3 22-12-2008 05:43 PM
POTLUCK No Name General Cooking 6 05-07-2007 07:20 AM
Mail-in Potluck bulka General Cooking 4 15-12-2006 06:18 AM
Potluck gaohclee General Cooking 3 15-02-2006 06:44 PM
Potluck gaohclee General Cooking 0 14-02-2006 05:20 AM