Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Potluck report

It was potluck day at church today, and I was right about the
starch-to-real-food ratio! The main dish was baked ham (yummy, but it
doesn't feel like christmas without poultry to me!) There were two
different kinds of ricey thing, a potato gratin, potato salad, tuna
casserole, a giant bowl of coleslaw, and my vegetable and fruit
plates. Dessert was icky supermarket cupcakes and a key lime pie from
Publix, so my waistline was fairly safe in that department!

I took a vegetable plate (baby carrot sticks, celery, cherry tomatoes,
blanched broccoli, and radish) some sabra hummus with garlic, some
crackers, and a fruit plate (red and green apple slices dipped in
lemon juice, fresh grapes, and pre-cubed Kraft cheese, with more
crackers.) Most of the fruit was eaten, and half the veggies were
consumed. The sole untouchable was the radishes. So don't bother with
radishes even if they ARE sliced up into cute litte bitesized wedges!
Nobody likes them by themselves...

I priced fruit and veggie platters in the grocery store and they were
$15 each. So I made mine from scratch. The most expensive things on
the plate were the cherry tomatoes and the cheese. Baby carrots are a
dollar a bag and I used half. Cherry tomatoes are $2.50 a punnet
(again, half-used). The cheese was $2.50 on sale. A bunch of celery
was $1.50 or so and I only used the very inside part. Radishes were $2
a bag and but I only used about 1/4 of the bag. I can't remember how
much the broccoli was so call it $1 worth. The grapes were $2 a pound
and I used 1/2 the bag. Apples were about $2 a pound but I only used
two, one of each colour. So say 1/2 pound of them. Add in a couple of
dollars for the divided platters I put them on (thank you Dollar
Tree!) and a couple of bucks for a box of crackers and the total cost
of my stuff was $12. Oh, I almost forgot the hummus - $6 for a giant
tub at BJs but I didn't take it all, just about 1/3 of it and I
brought half of THAT home again! So say my grand total was $14. Not
too shabby...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote on Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:42:02 +0000 (UTC):

>> I like hummus in general but what's "sabra hummus"?

> Nationwide brand of hummus, babaganoush, etc., based I
> think in Brooklyn.

Disappointing! I'd hoped for a new version :-(

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:09:15 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Steve wrote on Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:42:02 +0000 (UTC):
>
>>> I like hummus in general but what's "sabra hummus"?

>> Nationwide brand of hummus, babaganoush, etc., based I
>> think in Brooklyn.

>Disappointing! I'd hoped for a new version :-(

Sorry, it's just the brand. Sabra makes the best hummus you can get in
the grocery store. It's much better-tasting than any of the others
I've tried.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:02:18 -0500, Kajikit wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:09:15 GMT, "James Silverton"
> > wrote:

>>> Nationwide brand of hummus, babaganoush, etc., based I
>>> think in Brooklyn.

>>Disappointing! I'd hoped for a new version :-(

> Sorry, it's just the brand. Sabra makes the best hummus you can get in
> the grocery store. It's much better-tasting than any of the others
> I've tried.

interesting choice of name, since 'sabra' is hebrew for a person born in
israel.

your pal,
blake

Potluck Emergency! [email protected] General Cooking 78 29-11-2013 10:24 PM
POTLUCK No Name General Cooking 6 05-07-2007 07:20 AM
Potluck gaohclee General Cooking 3 15-02-2006 05:44 PM
Potluck gaohclee General Cooking 0 14-02-2006 04:20 AM
PotLuck Aria Mexican Cooking 5 20-10-2003 02:37 AM