Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
LOU LOU is offline

Default Beans Natural Fermentation

I like dried beans but no one will eat in my family them because of gas so
I haven't made them in over a year.

I am reading that Natural Fermentation is the way to take gas out of them.
I have searched the net trying to find out how to do "Natural Fermentaion"
but no luck (or else I'm a dunce).

I don't want to go out and buy any additions to put in the beans like beno
and some other things I read about that I don't think I could get in my
area.

Natural fermentation to me sounds like you don't add these products anyway.

Does anyone know how to do this? It must be simple but I'm a dolt haha
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"LOU" > wrote in message
7.2...
>I like dried beans but no one will eat in my family them because of gas so
> I haven't made them in over a year.
>
> I am reading that Natural Fermentation is the way to take gas out of them.
> I have searched the net trying to find out how to do "Natural Fermentaion"
> but no luck (or else I'm a dunce).
>
> I don't want to go out and buy any additions to put in the beans like beno
> and some other things I read about that I don't think I could get in my
> area.
>
> Natural fermentation to me sounds like you don't add these products
> anyway.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this? It must be simple but I'm a dolt haha

A recent topic here last December, after the Article from South American
popped up. You can search the archives for it but here is the short version
of it:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com:80/p...latulence.html

I cannot find a method to do Nat. Fermentation either, one cook forum said
don't try, go buy Asian Fermented Beans ( black Beans , I believe), it
smells better than making them.
A Colin Leakey,( really his name) has a patent on a gasless bean that is
supposed to be available soon.,

If you do find a method, please post it.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"LOU" > wrote in message
7.2...
> I like dried beans but no one will eat in my family them because of gas so
> I haven't made them in over a year.
>
> I am reading that Natural Fermentation is the way to take gas out of them.
> I have searched the net trying to find out how to do "Natural Fermentaion"
> but no luck (or else I'm a dunce).
>
> I don't want to go out and buy any additions to put in the beans like beno
> and some other things I read about that I don't think I could get in my
> area.
>
> Natural fermentation to me sounds like you don't add these products

anyway.

> Does anyone know how to do this? It must be simple but I'm a dolt haha

For over 62 years I have been eating beans with never a gas problem. We just
add a spoonful of lard to the beans as they cook. Tradition has it that the
tiny bit of lard acts as a catalyst that changes the enzyme of the bean so
it becomes wholly digestible and does not linger in the intestine where it
would normally lay as it ferments into flatulence. Don't know if this is
true or not, but the empirical evidence says it is. I don't know a single
Mexican that does not add a dab of lard to the cooking beans.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

My neighbor swears by a tablespoon of vinegar per pot. Add before the beans
are quite done.
"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "LOU" > wrote in message
> 7.2...
>> I like dried beans but no one will eat in my family them because of gas
>> so
>> I haven't made them in over a year.
>>
>> I am reading that Natural Fermentation is the way to take gas out of
>> them.
>> I have searched the net trying to find out how to do "Natural
>> Fermentaion"
>> but no luck (or else I'm a dunce).
>>
>> I don't want to go out and buy any additions to put in the beans like
>> beno
>> and some other things I read about that I don't think I could get in my
>> area.
>>
>> Natural fermentation to me sounds like you don't add these products

> anyway.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to do this? It must be simple but I'm a dolt haha

> For over 62 years I have been eating beans with never a gas problem. We
> just
> add a spoonful of lard to the beans as they cook. Tradition has it that
> the
> tiny bit of lard acts as a catalyst that changes the enzyme of the bean so
> it becomes wholly digestible and does not linger in the intestine where it
> would normally lay as it ferments into flatulence. Don't know if this is
> true or not, but the empirical evidence says it is. I don't know a single
> Mexican that does not add a dab of lard to the cooking beans.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On 20 Mar 2007 05:20:32 GMT, LOU > wrote:

>I like dried beans but no one will eat in my family them because of gas so
>I haven't made them in over a year.

There seems to be many ideas on this.

I've read that an herb called epazote is used in Mexico for this
reason. I've never tried it myself, because I don't have much of a
problem with it. Google 'epazote beans' for a lot more info.

Some swear by it, and others say it tastes terrible. I can't say, I've
never found it around here.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

A team of scientists from Simon Bolivar University, Caracas, Venezuela, have
developed a way of preparing beans that don't fill you up with gas later on.
It involves fermenting the beans with a bacterium that reduces the level of
compounds which cause flatulence.

The researchers found that if you naturally ferment beans with a bacteria
called Lactobacillus casei, they contain lower amounts of these compounds.
Raffinose, a wind-causing compound found in beans, was reduced by 88% with
this method.

Therefore, this method could have two benefits:

1. People can eat beans and fart less.
2. The beans will be better, nutritionally.

But this can not be done at home

Hope this helped

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"chefrwmiller" > wrote in message
et...
> A team of scientists from Simon Bolivar University, Caracas, Venezuela,

have
> developed a way of preparing beans that don't fill you up with gas later

on.
> It involves fermenting the beans with a bacterium that reduces the level

of
> compounds which cause flatulence.
>
> The researchers found that if you naturally ferment beans with a bacteria
> called Lactobacillus casei, they contain lower amounts of these compounds.
> Raffinose, a wind-causing compound found in beans, was reduced by 88% with
> this method.
>
> Therefore, this method could have two benefits:
>
> 1. People can eat beans and fart less.
> 2. The beans will be better, nutritionally.
>
> But this can not be done at home
>
> Hope this helped

That's why so many of us like to make refried beans from the beans that were
cooked in the pot some three days ago. Our favorite of all treats are
tostadas made with three or four day old beans, mashed and cooked in oil or
lard until peanut buttery in consistency and spread over a fried tortilla,
then other stuff on top. Avocado, tomato, chicken, chicharron, cilantro,
salsas.... whatever.

No gas problem. But then we don't have gas problems at any time with beans
since we boil the bean with a touch of lard which seems to change something
in the bean to make it fully digestible and prevents it from lingering in
the intestine where it begins to ferment and let off gas.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "chefrwmiller" > wrote in message
> et...
>> A team of scientists from Simon Bolivar University, Caracas, Venezuela,

> have
>> developed a way of preparing beans that don't fill you up with gas later

> on.
>> It involves fermenting the beans with a bacterium that reduces the level

> of
>> compounds which cause flatulence.
>>
>> The researchers found that if you naturally ferment beans with a bacteria
>> called Lactobacillus casei, they contain lower amounts of these
>> compounds.
>> Raffinose, a wind-causing compound found in beans, was reduced by 88%
>> with
>> this method.
>>
>> Therefore, this method could have two benefits:
>>
>> 1. People can eat beans and fart less.
>> 2. The beans will be better, nutritionally.
>>
>> But this can not be done at home
>>
>> Hope this helped
>>

> That's why so many of us like to make refried beans from the beans that
> were
> cooked in the pot some three days ago. Our favorite of all treats are
> tostadas made with three or four day old beans, mashed and cooked in oil
> or
> lard until peanut buttery in consistency and spread over a fried tortilla,
> then other stuff on top. Avocado, tomato, chicken, chicharron, cilantro,
> salsas.... whatever.
>
> No gas problem. But then we don't have gas problems at any time with beans
> since we boil the bean with a touch of lard which seems to change
> something
> in the bean to make it fully digestible and prevents it from lingering in
> the intestine where it begins to ferment and let off gas.
>
> Wayne

Wayne, you have beat this horse to death. That you have "No gas problem" is
good, well that you know of . You cited the article research a while back
but I still do not think you read it. You continuously cite the ambiguous
"we" as proof. For a "Learned" man, this is sure some "fuzzy science.

Please don't pretend you do not read this "cuz you Killfiled" me, you have
slipped up too many times responding since that. So If you can prove that
"Lard" helps other than by continiously repeating the myth , please show me
some proof conducted on or by someone other than "WE". It was not borne out
in the article's research or any other research, physically, chemically or
biologically. Beside do you think your Momma was the only one that use
lard, fat back, salt pork, or ham hocks to cook beans? It is like your
"tradition", it is only your take on it.