Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default El Norte: Especialidades de Nuevo Leon

El Norte: Especialidades de Nuevo Leon

Got recipes?

Arracheras
Flank Steak

Cabrito a la lena
Young goat roasted over a wood fire

Cabrito en cerveza
Young goat cooked in beer

Cabrito en chile ancho
Young goat in ancho chile sauce

Caldillo de espinazo con verdolagas (ancho y pasilla)
AKA Birria, a thin broth of backbone of beef, goat, or sheep with
greens, ancho and pasilla chiles

Caldillo de res (machaca en caldillo y chile serrano)
Broth of shredded dried beef with serrano chile

Chicharrones de Montemorelos
Pork crackings, Montemorelos style

Cortadillo (puntas de res, chícharo, papa, jitomate, cerveza)
(Beef tips, pork cracklings, potato, tomato, beer)

Cuajitos de res
Curds of beef

Empalmes con cortadillo
Connections with small cuts?

Fritada
Something fried as a method of completely cooking it, could be meat or
fowl or fish

Lengua de res en pipián
Beef tongue in pumpkin seed sauce

Machacado con huevo
Shredded dried beef with egg

Machitos
Why the lambs were screaming

Pollo en salsa de chipotle (especias, tomate verde, chipotle)
Chicken in chipotle sauce (spices, green tomato, chipotle chile)

Rinonada
A cut of meat from the lower back, below the shoulders

Salsa de cuatro chiles (piquín, cascabel, chipotles, anchos)
Four chile sauce

Sopa de col y queso
Cabbage and cheese soup

Postres:
Desserts:

Leche quemada
Burned milk or cajeta

Glorias de Linares
Glories of ?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 7, 2:49 pm, "The Galloping Gourmand" >
wrote:
> El Norte: Especialidades de Nuevo Leon
>
> Got recipes?

Just because is my home state
> Arracheras
> Flank Steak
>From the cow's diaphragm, very juicy and tender when marinated with

meat softener.

> Cabrito a la lena
> Young goat roasted over a wood fire

We call it Cabrito al pastor, roasted over mezquite wood fire, see it
he http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrito_al_pastor

> Cabrito en cerveza
> Young goat cooked in beer
>
> Cabrito en chile ancho
> Young goat in ancho chile sauce

Cabrito is the baby goat that still feeds on milk, once it starts
eating grass the meat flavor changes.

> Caldillo de espinazo con verdolagas (ancho y pasilla)
> AKA Birria, a thin broth of backbone of beef, goat, or sheep with
> greens, ancho and pasilla chiles
>
> Caldillo de res (machaca en caldillo y chile serrano)
> Broth of shredded dried beef with serrano chile
>
> Chicharrones de Montemorelos
> Pork crackings, Montemorelos style
>
> Cortadillo (puntas de res, chícharo, papa, jitomate, cerveza)
> (Beef tips, pork cracklings, potato, tomato, beer)

chicharo = pea , not chicharron
Cortadillo could be made with pork too, first Nuevo Leon settlers
included jewish families escaping from the Inquisition, so to distract
any suspicion they would make pork cortadillo on weekends, but gave it
to the maids and peons.

Hunters sometimes make venison cortadillo too.

> Cuajitos de res
> Curds of beef
>
> Empalmes con cortadillo
> Connections with small cuts?

Empalme is something like a tortilla sandwich with beans, meat and/or
chile in between. Cortadillo, you just said what it is ...

> Fritada
> Something fried as a method of completely cooking it, could be meat or
> fowl or fish

Not even close, to make cabrito, specially "al pastor or a la leña"
you have to bleed them first, well, the blood is collected and cooked
with onions and other vegetables , it makes a thick soup.

> Lengua de res en pipián
> Beef tongue in pumpkin seed sauce

Ah the memories, my grandma use to cook it, her recipe was lost
though.

> Machacado con huevo
> Shredded dried beef with egg

Nice in sunday morning with flour tortillas.

> Machitos
> Why the lambs were screaming.

Nope, again, from cabrito, the guts (intestines), are cleaned and
folded and tied like , well, uh, a sausage, and roasted

> Pollo en salsa de chipotle (especias, tomate verde, chipotle)
> Chicken in chipotle sauce (spices, green tomato, chipotle chile)
>
> Rinonada
> A cut of meat from the lower back, below the shoulders

riñonada, riñon = kidney, when the cabrito is roasted a la leña,
usually is served cut in pieces, legs, shoulders (paleta) and lower
hip (wich contains the still dangling kidneys , that is the riñonada)
some believe it is the tastiest part.

> Salsa de cuatro chiles (piquín, cascabel, chipotles, anchos)
> Four chile sauce
>
> Sopa de col y queso
> Cabbage and cheese soup
>
> Postres:
> Desserts:
>
> Leche quemada
> Burned milk or cajeta
>
> Glorias de Linares
> Glories of ? , well from Linares, of course. a town almost in the border with Tamaulipas. is candy made with cajeta (burned goat milk) and nuts.

A few more (modern recipes) for homework ;o) :
Meats:
Borrego al ataud
Pollo violado
Tacos:
Gringas
Campechanas
Drinks and desserts:
Diablitos
Rusas
Chamoyadas

Lets see if you can find those guys, some are easy,some may not.

Saludos!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 10, 8:33�pm, wrote:

> Just because is my home state

Viva Nuevo Leon! Thanks for replying and pointing out my errors in a
hurried translation.

> A few more (modern recipes) for homework * ;o) *:
> Meats:
> Borrego al ataud
> Pollo violado
> Tacos:
> Gringas
> Campechanas
> Drinks and desserts:
> Diablitos
> Rusas
> Chamoyadas
>
> Lets see if you can find those guys, some are easy,some may not.

It would be easier if you just told the group what those things are,
since you are more familiar with the subject of NL cooking.

I am presently working on about 25 lists of platillos tipicos of
Mexican states in the various regions, and it's a whole lot of work to
do it by myself.

More specialties of NL a

Lonches de cabrito, Cabrito en su sangre, Menudo de la frontera,
Costillas y Agujas al carb�n, Papas de galeana, Tu�tanos en salsa,
Tamales colorados, chiles rellenos norte�os

Postres t�picos: Hojarascas, Turcos reyneros, Polkas, Gorditas de
do�a Elodia, Rosquitas

Any assistance you can offer is much appreciated.